Opinion

The Knee Jerk – Gameweek 1 – Saturday

A classic knee jerk in the making, Mohamed Salah owners were already fidgeting by half-time at Vicarage Road.

Fresh from four goals in pre-season, he had endured an inauspicious start to life back in the Premier League. A toe-poked skyward effort when through on goal, packaged up with several over miscues and errant first touches totalled a miserable first 45 minutes for Salah.

In contrast, Sadio Mane had sparkled and smartly converted Emre Can’s flick to peg back a plucky first half Watford showing.

Shifted to the left flank by Salah’s arrival, it looked as though Mane had adjusted to already demonstrate that he was back as the go-to guy among the opulence in Liverpool’s attack.

But things were to turn dramatically.

Just through sheer pace and endeavour, Salah first won a penalty via Heurelho Gomes’ clumsy telescopic arms and then sprinted to convert Roberto Firmino’s chipped effort from two yards out.

He ended on 11 points and was quickly installed as the top transfer target from those in action on the day.

He tallied five shots, all in the penalty area and eight touches in the box – more than any other midfielder in Gameweek 1 so far. Just as we expected, the statistics are Salah’s friend and will likely reinforce his case throughout the season.

Mane, who picked up a booking, was left trailing and, on today’s evidence, will clearly have his work cut out to justify his billing as the most expensive option in Jurgen Klopp’s armoury.

Owned by 23.5% to Salah’s 23.3%, that narrow gap is closing as Philippe Coutinho owners bail out, turning to the Egyptian as their replacement.

It is, of course, early days and it’s back at Anfield where Mane has previously been so potent.

Nine of his 13 goals arrived on Merseyside last season and he will have Crystal Palace in his sights for Gameweek 2.

Firmino also deserves our recognition. With Klopp relegating James Milner to his bench, the Brazilian was again on penalty duties and expertly converted following Salah’s tumble.

With the assist to follow, Firmino waltzed his way to the maximum bonus points, already benefiting from his new classification as a forward.

If Milner is to remain out of favour – presumably now discounted as a left-back – then Firmino will surely prosper.

Liverpool won eight penalties last season, with all but one converted by Milner. Firmino scored 11 goals regardless.

We have no reason to expect that Liverpool’s penalty count will regress. Indeed, with Salah adding his pace to Mane’s bursts, there’s every chance it will be maintained or even increased.

The conclusion is that Firmino’s stock is on the rise and that suddenly, Mane is in danger of slipping further down our Liverpool attack pecking order.

Mark Mark created the beast. He's now looking to tame it.”

1. ludaslol

how did Gabbi really look? Will Austin start or does he atleast earn one more start?

1. thepeen555

They are going to blank through the season all teams probably will - don't worry about it

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

*They are going to blank often through the season ... 😉

1. Limbo

How you feeling today Doos? Terrible luck on your capt punt

2. thepeen555

Lol

2. A.J.

I guess the saving grace is Austin didn't score when he came on. Southampton on the whole created plenty. I don't think it's impossible for them both to start next week.

First whiff of Gabbi being left out though and will have to ship, but for now am keeping.

3. Gregor

5 goal attempts, 4 in the box, no striker has yet had more on either of those.

4. Pork Pie Sausage Roll

Don't get rid yet. In fact don't spend your FT at all this week (barring injuries/suspensions). 1 week is too small a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusion from

1. bojack

This.

• Agger ⭐

Kyle Walker's heat map last night. He may as well be a right-forward.

(Scroll down to number 4)

1. Differentiator

I was impressed by him, sadly (Spurs fan)

2. Hairy Potter

Shame he isn't a very good crosser or doesn't score often.

• G-Whizz

No different from his Spurs days 😆

• VS10_ - Messidonia

It's a bit deceiving. So often De Bruyne drifted there and instead of crossing (which Walker is quite mediocre at) he just passed it to KDB.

• Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

I went Kompany to save 0.5 lol

3. G-Whizz

Just want to thank all those who advised me to avoid WBA because of their pre season form. I'm now watching all the Hegazi love and think how glad I am that I chose to ignore that advise and doubled up with Foster and Hegazi 😆

There's a lot to be said about going with your gut instincts, doesn't always pay off, but it's sure nice when it does 😉

1. noquarternt

I think a lot of people would recommended Brom defence on here. Hence everyone having Foster.

But yeah good job and hope Hegazi can join McHauley, Dawson and Brunt as FPL immortals.

1. G-Whizz

Yeah they'll recommend WBA now AFTER the event, but I was getting slaughtered because I wanted to go double. Even had a laugh with one of the Mods over it as he was gonna do the same too.

1. Jonty

Lots been recommending wba defenders all week though.

Made a point on the scoutcast about avoiding Pulis strikers and going fir the centrebacks instead. They are the real strikers in Pulis teams.

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

There has been an army dissing WBA, though, Jonty. And more than a few snide asides. 🙂

1. Jonty

Lots of differing opinions is good surely?

As long as they are courteous and backed up with good evidence.

At the end of the day we are masters of our own destiny - as G Whizz has shown.

2. bojack

To be fair Albion have a tiny squad and some really poor players. Fletcher has gone which doesn't help, and sitting so deep even at home is going to invite goals against. A lack of pace up top means it's hard to get out.

Obviously threat from set pieces is huge. Brunt will clock up assists this year and I expect someone like Dawson to be second top scorer.

It's going to a s

1. bojack

...similar year to last year.

2. R Whites

Is he nailed on when Maculey returns?

1. FortunesAlwaysHiding

Of course. I think McAuley is out the door. He's 38!

3. Limbo

Same boat. WBA offer consistent defensive returns every year.

I got lucky with Firmino / Salah tho. Was moments away from Benteke + Mane

1. G-Whizz

They were pointing to only 6 CS last year. I'm confident they'll easily get 10+ this year.

Glad you also chose to go with your gut! I had Firmino, you should read the Liverpool Dugout article and see all the fickle Salah/Fimino owners wanting to transfer him out before the first half had even ended 😆

#dontpanicmrmannering

4. Poseidon.

I have them both and Dawson.

1. G-Whizz

Bet you're happy!!! Nice one Pozzy 😀

5. bojack

Albion will keep it clean against sides which have no penetration but the minute it's any of the top six it'll be a minimum of two conceded.

Avoid v good attacks.

1. G-Whizz

Maybe, but at those prices with those fixtures to come imo they were definitely worth a punt 😉

1. bojack

Oh yeah.

Shame I picked Foster + Phillips rather than Foster + Dawson 🙁

1. G-Whizz

Aww man! You looking at getting Dawson in? I dunno if The Hegmeister is going to keep ol' man McAuley out when he returns.
                        People seem to be forgetting where Evans will fit in when he comes back too!

6. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

All I saw was WBrom getting slated all the way through preseason. "They only got 6 CS last year"... "they will get relegated"... "they don't score goals"... I can't dig the posts out of my history but I said at several times anyone ignoring West Brom is cutting off a valuable source of fantasy points.

1. G-Whizz

This

7. DJ1000

It is only one game but hegazi looks good. Bournemouth poor in 1st game last year losing 1-0 at West Ham. Foster and Dawson also good picks. Pulis looks for clean sheets first

1. G-Whizz

You're right, it's only one game, he's only in there until McAuley is fit again then we'll see what happens. Luckily the Hegmeister helped to right my captain Alonso pick :ouch: 😆

8. Bilbao Baggins

Most people who comment know the same or less than you. Make informed decisons. Outside the top 8 last season they had the least goals conceded that was always pretty good. Just needed more clean sheets to stop those 1-0s.

1. G-Whizz

Never really look at it like that, always assumed that people would know MORE than me but you're probably right. Same or less. Forget how many times they lost 1-0 last year, but luckily for me Ol' man McAuley was in my team then and weighed in with some crucial goals to help.

1. Unliklinho

I've been a lurker on this site since 2009 and a paying member for the last three or four seasons. It is my impression of this site that those who genuinely know/have some idea are a very small minority.

1. G-Whizz

Thanks, wasn't aware that was the situation tbh as my first year here.
                        I'll keep me eye out for that small minority.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, and no I would not have bet on him scoring on debut, but those fixtures were very tempting with Pulis' defensive mind it was worth a go.

9. Limbo

Also.

For anyone who missed this gem, WBA have plum rotation with Burnley for their tougher fixtures.

1. G-Whizz

Nice! Haven't got any Burnley will monitor them for now, I'm not one for rushing in tbh

10. Hairy Potter

Think a lot of people were caught up with getting premium defenders and wingbacks. WBA had a dip in clean sheets last year, but for the price I ended up getting Foster and punting on Hegazi. The latter was mainly as I got cold feet about TAA and wasn't sure if Lowe was nailed.

1. G-Whizz

I think that's the sound of the hitting the nail on the head..
                      "In terms of advice on here, there are some posters that I really rate, but I mainly use this as a sounding board. Sometimes there isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer. I got some really good advice about my team on Friday, but I chose to ignore it as I wanted to go with my attacking double ups. After the Spurs game I'll find out how foolish I was with my decision, but it was my decision."

Such a valid point. I think there are too many people on here that ask a question then go with the answer given without any thought themselves, and then when it doesn't pan out how they would like, they come on and moan about getting bad advice.

Do some research yourself, take the advice given with your own research, and then make your OWN decision. Whether it be right or wrong at least you've then chosen what you consider to be best.

Hope you've got a big sofa to hide behind when Spurs play later 😆
                      Good luck with it all!

11. Internal Error

Xhaka is 5.5 and is on corners. He takes a good set piece and has the likes of Giroud, Lacazette, and Koscielny to aim at.

1. Agger ⭐

He also has the worst temperament of any player I've ever watched so expect plenty of red cards as usual from him.

1. thepeen555

• G-Whizz

This

• The Tinkerman

Average 3 reds per season

1. The Tinkerman

For the least 3 years at least... he got 9 red cards in the last 3 seasons. And no improvement either, he got 3 reds last season. Right on his average.

2. noquarternt

3. Limbo

You swapping from Iwobi? I think I'm going Hudds for a bit.

• Cash Mané

using the fplstatistics website, is there anyway to grasp a trend in a player that should rise 0.2 (not just 0.1) before the next game week?

Im playing basically to win a mini league and was looking at building my team value.

very happy with my team, but happy to trade out players who I'm not using to generate value this early on.

Any advice? Cheers!

1. Unliklinho

fplstatistics is wysiwyg. You just need to monitor unless you are able to code.

2. ☆Khaz

Little hard to predict before all matches are played, but Xhaka seems to be a popular pick atm, rising fast and predicted to have (first?) rise tonight.

3. THFC4LIFE

Keep an eye on the percentage and number of transfers in/out

4. Hart Ake

How did Fraser and Begovic look today? I have both but didn't see the Bournemouth game.

Thanks, lads.

1. Internal Error

Didnt see it but sounds like brom were playing air ball and did their best to stop Bournemouth from playing. Heard bego made some good saves to stop Jrod from scoring

1. Hart Ake

Thanks for the info.

2. bojack

Hiya was at the game he struggled to get into it as all Bournemouth did was pass around in front of Albion. He pretty much did nowt but he did last the 90.

As an owner I'll keep for next week but probably sell ahead of GW3.

1. The Tinkerman

Gross and Mooy both look tempting to me, but I'm also holding for now.

3. DJ1000

Watford at home will be a different game. Expect a clean sheet and Fraser to get some points

2. Differentiator

Points check? Interested in where we are at GW1

46 from 7, (C) remains

1. noquarternt

54, Alli and Davies to go.

2. Better Call Paul

42 with Valencia Kane and lukaku (c) left to play

• The 12th Man

42. From 8. Captain to play

The wife scored 65 from 10 doh

• Hurricane Gilbert

How come scorechecks are always posted by smug users who have got a good score? Completely meaningless

1. Limbo

We want our miniutr in the sun

2. noquarternt

If I have a bad week I don't come on here. If lukaku and Kane score, I'll see you all in September.

• Limbo

65 + lucky (c) / Kane

Best start I can remember

1. Better Call Paul

Well done pal I'm guessing you have saved your FT

1. Limbo

Nope. Got Iwobi to deal with...

• noquarternt

Great score

2. There's Always One!

46 with Alli and Captain lukaku to play

• Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

55, DDG, Kane & (C)Kaku to play

• THFC4LIFE

26 with De gea Eriksen Kaku(c) left bit of a distaster really

1. noquarternt

Could recover hugely, Eriksen a bit of a differential around here.

• bojack

38, Kane + Lukaku(c) to go.

I got three clean sheets yesterday and that's all that's been good so far. Picked some duds: Phillips (looked unfit), Dann, Fraser, and Gabbi.

1. Better Call Paul

I had Fraser also - but think next fixture at home he could produce

• noquarternt

I've got Dann too- you see where he should've scored? Tempted to do him to Hegazi...but I know this is a knee-jerk.

1. bojack

Yep Match of the Day was painful.

The dilemma now is do I play him against that shambles of a Liverpool defence next week or play Lowe v Toon.

• THFC4LIFE

Same had Dann Fraser Gabbi TAA KDB and Jesus all let me down

• ☆Khaz

85 thanks to front line of Rooney Kun (C) and Morata ..... oh wait, that was my ML rival. I'm on 32 with Fab as worse player so far.

1. Limbo

Ouch! That line up sounds a little casual to me though. You'll pick em off. #keepthefaith

• Hairy Potter

58 with Atsu and Lukaku(c) to go

• Old Boots

38 from 9, including Jesus (c). Kane and Kaku to go.

• Kun Tozser

47 Lacazette (c)
                                                DDG, Mkhitaryan, Atsu, Kane remaining

• mojoindojo

Thinking of saving ft. Thoughts?

Begovic
                                                Jones Cedric Dawson
                                                Kdb Salah Willian Alli
                                                Jesus Laca Gabbi

Elliot RLC TAA Hunemeir
                                                0 itb

1. noquarternt

Monitor Jones of course, but yeah so far so good.

1. mojoindojo

Thx!

2. There's Always One!

Did JWP look any addition yesterday? Tempted to get richie for him

1. thepeen555

He looked alright yeah don't knee jerk

1. There's Always One!

Not a knee jerk. I really wasn't keen on him or Zaha but still ended up with them in my team.

2. Mike the Knight

I've got him and happy to keep, his stats are pretty decent, especially for the pricetag

3. DJ1000

Saints next 4 fixtures mean prime time to get their players in then get rid when it gets tougher

• ⚔★Vibudh★⚔

Who would be the best Dann replacement,have Foster,Daniels and Stephens

1. thepeen555

Well Daniels also let in a goal if that's what ur worried about - wba won't always keep a cleanie

• Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Hegazi, or Dummett.

• Uche

You not got a sub defender to rotate with?

• Jafalad

Mee.

• Differentiator

Anyone else with the Alli, Eriksen, Kane triple up? Must be someone lurking here

1. thepeen555

Probably a few yeah

• Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

I have Mané instead of Alli.

• Tiamani Warrior

Yep bring it on! And lukaku so all my $ tied up today

1. Differentiator

Good lad. Let the points reign in!

1. Tiamani Warrior

200+ for all 3 seemed a must!

2. general_franco

Vardy or Firmino?

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Both very good picks imo. Even viable starters to save some cash, alongside Kaku or Kane. Both on pens which is worth anorther 1.0 each

1. general_franco

Good point. Firmino appears to have the easier fixtures (based on the tracker) but I have Salah already.

2. thepeen555

Both at this rate - but had been 1 game - knee jerk alert

• Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Dunno. I am getting Firmino.

1. Hurricane Gilbert

It's tempting for sure. Will give Gabbi at least another game, and then I will look to upgrade him to Firmino.

2. QPRUTD - BLINDIAN

Vardy is more effective against teams who play higher up like ARS, LIV, MCI.
                                                                      Firmino more fixture proof imo

3. The Tinkerman

Firm for now, if Mahrez leaves Vardy will probably get pens, although Slimani might take if he is on the pitch.

4. Limbo

IF Firmino stays on pens. He's a banker.

• 1justlookin

Who is huddersfields most attacking nailed on defender? Thinking of getting one for my Draft.

1. Valar(Keith)

Lowe.. I'm more excited about him than anyone else in my team

1. Couti & the Bolivia5th

Me too but I think Smith will be the long term answer to the above

• Dare2Zlatan

Mounie as 3rd striker?

Given last season , pre-season form and fixtures he's hard to ignore right?

1. Hurricane Gilbert

Only 1 game but he really looked pivotal. They were constantly aiming at him. I have got Ince instead so hope he will get involved too.

2. Gaffa914

I don't have lukaku and I'm scared. If he went mental today would you recommend LUKAKU and RAMSEY in for JESUS and MKHI for a -4??

1. FantasyNik123

No. Use a -4 if you're really in trouble.

• noquarternt

No way. Keep your head on.

• jason2_uk

Would u do that if mykhi is the one laying it on for kaku to go mental?!

• Dare2Zlatan

Mhkitaryan could outscore Lukaku today and Jesus unlucky to to have scored ... definite wait on those... Iv got Luiz in my team... can't see an argument for keeping him... thoughts on a replacement?

1. Gaffa914

If trippier is fit I'd bring him in but cedric, Bertrand and Ake are also good options

• There's Always One!

I really hope D Silva can outshine KDB. I'd love that 2m in the bank

1. Dare2Zlatan

He won't KDB gets his points in hauls ... patience needed if you own him.

• Agger ⭐

1-2
                                                                                      1-1 (but I hope 7-0 🙂 )

3. Andy_Social

My Superbru predictions are:

Newcastle 0-1 Spurs
                                                                                      United 2-0 Hammers

I should point out I've got them all wrong so far.

4. Better Call Paul

1-3
                                                                                        2-0

• Rhodes your boat

1-2
                                                                                          1-1

• noquarternt

The way this season is going? 4-3 and 3-4.

Probably get 0-0 and 0-0.

• bojack

1-1 on Tyneside
                                                                                          2-0 to United

• Hairy Potter

1-1
                                                                                            2-1

• Couti & the Bolivia5th

Could anyone shed any light on why Milivojevic was taken off at half time? Not sure if he was taken off because of performance (seems anonymous in members stats) or just as a tactical sacrifice

1. Wild Rover

No idea but he was always a terrible pick, nobody ever owned Noble just because he too peno's

1. Wild Rover

*took

2. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

^^^.

2. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Well, they were all dreadful, but he looked like a fish out of water.

They cannot play the system imposed upon them.

1. Couti & the Bolivia5th

Thanks both - need those truth bombs in FPL ha! Have 0.5 itb and quite happy with the team but lots of 5.5 mids I'm interested in. Brunt maybe

3. The Tinkerman

Tactical I think, he moved RLC back from RF/RW to centre mid didn't he? I guess Mili made way since RLC can drive forward with the ball, and they needed to get on the front foot.

1. Couti & the Bolivia5th

Good info thanks - he's gotta go if he's makeweight after 45 mins

• Mr Wizard

What's the odds on TAA and Holding being pulled for the next fixture?

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Need to see Tuesday night lineup

• There's Always One!

Is Ramsey an option now? Will he start?

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Think he'll become essential if fit

2. The Tinkerman

If he starts games I'll consider him, not until then

1. Limbo

Yep - straight in for Zaha

• Rhodes your boat

Kdb debate
                                                                                                (Owner not knee jerking but watching carefully)

What did everyone think of his role in city's game yesterday?
                                                                                                To me he seemed to be the deepest lying and often widest of the attacking midfielders and looks like he may be the assister of the assister e.g. Aguero goal
                                                                                                I've got no doubt he'll still get plenty of goals and assists but jesus looks the much more enticing pick of the city attackers

1. Agger ⭐

Just give him time.
                                                                                                    If the likes of Alli/Eriksen or Mane/Salah explode then you have an easy downgrade.

1. Rhodes your boat

Yeah agreed could easily do kdb to salah and get jesus in for firm

2. Dr Van Nostrand

you're probably right better suited to the Telegraph game since they often award 2 assists

• Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

It's just a pity KDB isn't their penalty taker, that way it would cement him as the best city attacker. As it is, he should still clear the 200 point mark in assists & goals from FK/corners/play. He's probably worth +15 CS points that Jesus & Kun won't get as well which slightly improves things

• VS10_ - Messidonia

I only got him because Sanchez was out, the first big name I'm looking to ship unless Jesus gets rotated first.

1. Dr Van Nostrand

Me too gonna load up on Pool once tricky Hoffenheim is out of the way

1. Rhodes your boat

Hard fixture for a qualifying game

• bojack

He's overpriced and I only got him because I couldn't afford Jesus or Kun. I even said this last week and I still got him.

Salah at 1.0 cheaper looks significantly better value given how many shots he got away in the box. It's scary to think what he might get v Palace next week tbh. Hopefully Mané will steal the glory.

• The Tinkerman

For me, he will go in the coming weeks. But it will be the expense of selling one of Kane or Kanu for Jesus, so wanna wait to see who to ditch. I like the idea of Kane and Mkhi, but Kaku and Eriksen also very strong.

• Hairy Potter

He will get steady points over the season, but may not be as explosive as similar priced players from Liverpool or Spurs.

Personally I thought he was overpriced, so I avoided.

• 1justlookin

Ihneacho to Mounie in FPL draft worth it?

1. Couti & the Bolivia5th

No way

2. The Tinkerman

Nah, Nacho was injured in our final pre season game. That's why he was on the bench. I was surprised he made the squad tbh.

He will be a starter when fit, he is the future of our strike force.

• Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

There should be a lot of goals in LPool- Palace game, right? Two terrible defences squaring off, palace should concede at least 2 or 3 & Liverpool at least 1 or 2. Zaha better get his finger out & make a contribution

1. Rhodes your boat

That's what I'm hoping as long as it's just firm and zaha getting the goals

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Imagine Firmino gets another penalty... he'd be approaching 20% of last season's total points already - after only 2x games lol

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Think on this: the quality of the 'Pool players is quite a lot higher - and they are used to the system they are playing.

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

True, it may not end well for palace

2. The Tinkerman

Hence why I'm seriously considering Dann > Hegazi/Lowe this week. Could be carnage.

2. Blanka

Danilo out for Cedric? Would have me doubling up on saints defence with Yoshida. Not a bad thing. Plus save 0.5m.

1. Rhodes your boat

Can't see any reason to take out Danilo yet

• Andy_Social

Did you bring in Danilo for one game?

I've got him too - he's kept a clean sheet for me; couldn't really ask for much more.

1. Blanka

Because his place is definitely at risk isn't it? Pretty much did bring him in as a placeholder for Trippier.

1. jason2_uk

So why are u transferring to Cedric if he was a placeholder for trippier? Stick your plan until he doesn't play and trip is back

2. The Tinkerman

Save FT, Sane won't be starting as a wing back vs. Everton. Danilo will start. They need to actually defend their flanks vs. Everton

1. Blanka

Plans go out the window lol.

Also in my thoughts, Iwobi to Ritchie (observe today) and JRod to Mounie.

Not doing anything yet, though. So many options!

2. Blanka

But isn't Mendy back?

• pakornk

This Quaner dude got an assist? Worth keeping?

1. luke the elneny enthusiast

1. Dare2Zlatan

But he's not going to start....

2. Lanley Staurel

For those thinking of shipping Zaha or Alonso.

1. The Tinkerman

Both players looked very dangerous in otherwise dodgy team performances

3. luke the elneny enthusiast

Milner & Alonso > Valencia & Walker a good move?

1. Sims

Just miner to walker

• RLukaku

Just transfer out Milner

• Taribo West on a free

Any playing 4.0 defenders yet?

1. Lord - Salahmon Islands

Cahill

• Sims

Have kane (c) but was worried about alli and eriksen

But havin looked at the ownerships I don't mind eriksen getting a few assists as long as they are for Kane

Alli is the real danger for those with no spurs mids

• RLukaku

Definition of a 'casual' in fantasy football??

1. Sims