Scout Notes

Arnautovic injury opens door for more striker changes

An injury to Marko Arnautovic may cause further widespread changes among Fantasy Premier League squads.

His owners will be sweating on a hamstring problem in the coming days and will have their eyes on alternatives already.

Meanwhile, there was disappointment for Felipe Anderson owners as a host of differential options helped West Ham to their latest win.

West Ham United 3-1 Cardiff City

Goals: Lucas Perez x2 (£6.2m), Michail Antonio (£6.8m) | Josh Murphy

Assists: Robert Snodgrass x2 (£5.3m), Arthur Masuaku (£4.3m) | Sean Morrison (£4.7m)

Marko Arnautovic (£7.2m) could be the next player to leave the Fantasy Premier League template after he was taken off injured in West Ham’s win over Cardiff. The Austrian forward went down clutching his hamstring and it seems unlikely he will feature too much over the Christmas period. The return to fitness of Andy Carroll (£5.4m) as well as the form of Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez (£6.2m) and Lucas Perez (£6.2m) mean that Manuel Pellegrini has plenty of options to replace him. If he is set for some time on the sidelines, the popularity of Callum Wilson (£6.9m) and Aleksandar Mitrovic (£6.6m) should rise accordingly.

“It is a hamstring injury, we will see tomorrow.” – Manuel Pellegrini

Also stepping up as a potential alternative option at West Ham was Robert Snodgrass (£5.3m) who recorded two assists in the win. Since returning from suspension in Gameweek 14 he has started two matches in a row while Grady Diangana (£4.5m) has featured for just 14 minutes. The Scottish international was also subbed after 75 minutes at the London Stadium suggesting that Manuel Pellegrini is keen to use him again in Gameweek 16. Snodgrass’ two assists were a delivery on the creative promise he’s shown this season. In the last four Gameweeks, he had created more chances than Felipe Anderson (£7.1m), who came out of the 3-1 win with just two points.

The only reason that Lukasz Fabianski (£4.5m) did not get his first home clean since Gameweek 6 was because of a scrappy late Cardiff City goal. The Bluebirds had not particularly threatened in the match and the Hammers were certainly on course for a well-deserved shut-out. In contentious circumstances, Josh Murphy (£4.8m) bundled the ball over the line deep into stoppage time with Fabianski obstructed from being able to make a save. However, his owners will still be content with his first-half penalty save and eight-point haul.

Fabian Balbuena (£4.4m) missed out on the match with his recent injury problems. He was considered a doubt for the encounter but was fit enough for the bench, although he did not come on.

Michail Antonio (£6.8m) got his first goal of the season, a header from one of Snodgrass’ corners. It was an impressive display from him but Fantasy managers looking at West Ham options should probably exercise caution. The midfielder was deployed at right-back, not for the first time in his Hammers’ career, allowing first-choice Pablo Zabaleta (£4.3m) could have a rest. With Ryan Fredericks (£4.6m) still out injured, Antonio may well be the preferred alternative to Zabaleta at right-back during this busy period where rotation will be rife.

Meanwhile, Jack Wilshere (£4.8m) was entirely absent from the matchday squad having sustained a minor pain in his ankle.

“Jack (Wilshere) has a small pain in his ankle, not the one he injured before. If he is not 100 per cent then I was not going to select him.” – Manuel Pellegrini

Joe Ralls (£4.7m) announced himself as Cardiff City’s penalty taker but his time in that position may be short-lived after seeing his poor effort saved.

It was a poor night for Cardiff and their Fantasy options. A number of them are still playing out-of-position, so to speak with Callum Paterson (£5.3m) the centre-forward once again and Victor Camarasa (£4.6m) deployed on the right flank of the attack.

Murphy has now featured only as a substitute in two of his last three matches while, as we already mentioned, the circumstances of his headed goal were fortuitous at best.

West Ham XI (4-4-2): Fabianski; Masuaku, Ogbonna, Diop, Antonio; F Anderson, Rice, Noble, Snodgrass (Diangana 75′); Arnautovic (L Perez 40′), Chicharito (Carroll 64′).

Cardiff XI (4-1-4-1): Etheridge; Bennett, Bamba, Morrison, Ecuele Manga; Gunnarsson; Hoilett (Murphy 64′), Arter, Ralls (Mendez-Laing 64′), Camarasa; Paterson (Harris 73′).

Become a Member and access our data

Memberships for the 2018/19 campaign are now available for the price of just £15.

• Get access to over 130+ exclusive members articles over the season.

CLICK HERE TO BECOME A FANTASY FOOTBALL SCOUT MEMBER

1. Rupert The Horse

Wow.
    Arnie our until next year.

1. Rupert The Horse

Out

2. Eat my goal!

It’s only three weeks

2. BenDavies

This is truly a make or break week.

Seen a clear divide between Auba and Salah teams versus Kane and Hazard teams. Think there will be a clear winner by the end of the night.

1. Eat my goal!

What about auba, Kane sterling and hazard teams

1. Slartibartfast

This is what I'm on 🙂

1. Eat my goal!

It’s a nice set up - sterling only came in for the next gw too

In replace of silva

2. Smurf

Not so sure that’s how the divide works. I have Auba, Kane and Salah for example.

3. Winter_is_coming

I have Auba, Salah and Hazard and no Kane.

4. Bullet Eder

The clear divide is made up. This week will certainly mix things up a bit though.

5. Black Knights

Seems more like Kane and Auba vs Salah and Hazard to me. Post and pre-WC.

6. FPL Opinion

What about my Kane and Auba team? Can we play?

7. Tempestic

I have Auba, Kane, Sterling, Sane

8. FleckyT

Kane, Aub and Sterling

9. EMERGING STAR

Not if all score or blank. Lot of permutations. Interesting times ahead

3. Right back Atsu

Well that worked out well; Arnie and Sterling in for -4! Is it worth flipping Alonso and Arnie to Peltier and Aubewang for -4? Ta.

1. Rupert The Horse

Why did you get Sterling in?

1. Right back Atsu

Rage transfer!

1. Rupert The Horse

I think most would have told you he’d be benched. I wanted him too but no way he was playing last nights game.

1. Black Knights

Lucky i kept faith in Wilson over Arnie... and went with Sane over Sterling this week! 🙂

2. KAAAAAAHN!

That's numberwang

3. yakirh

Keep Alonso, find other way

4. frenchfries

You need to relax, wow. Alonso is a great pick, and you will need playing subs through this month.

4. Pep Pig

Everyone getting shut of Salah..... After Burnley tonight, Liverpool face:-
    Bournemouth (a) - surely this will be tasty as Bournemouth don't know how to sit back. Scored in both games last season and Liverpool won both games 0-4 and 3-0. Wilson could pop up as we know, but I'd expect goals again

Man Utd (h) United aren't the same defensive side as they was last year and pretty sure this isn't a bad fixture at all

Wolves (a) No clean sheet in their last 6 (probably 7 after the Chelsea game tonight)

Newcastle (h) Scored in a 2 nil win this fixture last year and it looks a great fixture on paper

Yes GW 20 Arsenal (h) and GW 21 Man City (a) are both classed as difficult. Though Salah was fantastic in the home tie against Arsenal last season winning 4-0 popping up with a goal and assist. I don't class this as a difficult fixture. I see goals at both ends. Of course the City game is as difficult as they come. City fans will remember last seasons fixture very well i'm sure. Sadio Mane got a first half red for a flying kick on Ederson. 5-0 Jesus x 2 Sane x 2 and Aguero (for the record)

Liverpool are quite capable of scoring a hat-full of goals in any fixture. Though all this talk of their fixtures turning bad doesn't really wash with me. I will happily captain Salah in the Bournemouth game, then Wolves and Newcastle.

I know panic has set in with the Auba/Laca trends forming a new template. I get the logic to get them in. But I for one won't be sacking Salah to do it.

ATB

1. I Member

Last season's results are irrelevant. Liverpool aren't the same attacking force that they were.

1. Pep Pig

Well that's me shut down isn't it 🙁 Hopefully Liverpool hammer Burnley tonight and Salah's form has certainly picked up. I agree the front 3 haven't been as explosive this season but they are a team who will score many goals in these fixtures. Just my opinion though so relax

2. Rupert The Horse

He’s 13m and not doing the business. If you’re happy with that then keep him. I’d prefer Sterling at home to Palace and Everton.

3. Greenbackbøøg…

Whenever I see Salah play this season I can't help but be reminded by how much better he was last season honestly, theres something missing with liverpools attack

1. Pep Pig

Just feel like they will explode. I never expected a goal fest in the Merseyside derby. But I do think the upcoming fixtures a good enough to see plenty of goals.

4. yakirh

13M ... 13M!!

Time to let go

1. aspilcueta

The problem is Shaqiri.

They are desperately trying to fit him in. Combine this with Firmino and Salah switching positions, means that they are not doing it like they were. To me, playing Salah up top doesn't make much sense. Bobby does great defensive work, but he shouldn't need to when you have Keita and Fabinho, or even Milner and Henderson in front of the defense.

Just my opinion.

1. Pep Pig

I agree you can still see they are in a transitional period.... mainly due to Keita not hitting the ground running and Fabinho not nailing down the DM. Everton game aside, I still find them very exciting to watch. We all know Salah could have had a lot more goals this season with the underlying stats. Excuses have been made with his shoulder etc. Time will tell.

5. Peter Ouch

No sense what you saying, Liverpool is a different team this year, arsenal as well, 13m is way too much.

As a Liverpool fan I wouldn't advise anyone to get Salah in that price.

Eye test is the most important, you should better double up the defence rather spend anything on pools strikers

1. Pep Pig

No sense in what I'm saying? OK i'll take him out

1. Peter Ouch

Haha don't listen to the crowd mate, do your thing!

Haha always do mate 😀

6. MTPockets

It's just his price. I still have him but needs to pick up his points to stay in my team.

1. Pep Pig

I agree with that entirely mate. If he blanks in the next couple of games, then I'd rather have a rotated City player. I just don't think he will though

1. MTPockets

Was doing relatively ok until gw10/11, but now falling behind last season at this time (86 pts vs 108 pts).
          Should probably take account of fixtures as well, but either way justifiying 13m spend needs a fairly rapid turnaround as you say.

1. Pep Pig

Hopefully Pool turn up tonight against an awful Burnley side and Salah gets in on the act

2. Ajaxeeding

The problem with waiting a couple more weeks is that there always seems to be a couple futures games where Salah’s potential makes it hard to sell.

Having had Salah since the beginning, I have resisted selling him because of the fear of a repeat of last season. I’ve realized that I need to make a change soon since those funds could be used to get in the likes of Sterling and Sane. So hence why I’m considering a big change this week (influences in part by Arnautovic’ injury).

1. Pep Pig

It's just a counter argument I guess mate. I don't disagree that the 13m can be spread nicely. I own Alonso, Kane and Salah. I don't like my team without any of those. If Salah doesn't produce in the next 2, I may have to reconsider. I am quite hopeful he scores well though (and clearly I'm bias). I'd hate not to own him though that's the fact

7. Eat my goal!

Bournemouth at home is quite tough - playing well, can trouble the defence and pool have all eyes on CL

Man Utd always turn up for this game - still see a slim win for pool

Wolves should be a win but not a massive one either

Sure NC looks good

Arsenal and city are tough not many goals in those

1. Pep Pig

Would be shocked if there wasn't a few goals in the Arsenal game.

1. Eat my goal!

Other way round was 1-1

Pool haven’t been scoring 5 or 6, I think they’ve only scored 4 once

The defence is more competent, holds the ball more. They aren’t an end to end team any more

Took me till this Gw to decide to use the cash elsewhere, been waiting for salah to kick off but the last gw was his worst from an eye test

Sure might score tonight but I don’t see a brace and at the weekend he might be benched and saved for CL

1. Pep Pig

Time will tell mate. My stubbornness/patience not to remove players who aren't scoring doesn't always pay off. He's doing well.... but hasn't exploded.. yet

8. DAZZ

Its all fine and dandy looking at last seasons results, but they have sturridge and shaqiri coming in over december, he wont play every game

1. Pep Pig

Very few attacking players will play every game. Referring to last season's results isn't me saying it will be the same again. I'm saying the fixtures haven't turned bad like everyone keeps saying.

9. Game Over

Liverpool have changed tactics slightly this year. They're not doing the high tempo press so much, probably in an attempt to preserve energy through the season.

1. Pep Pig

That's a fair statement. Though it's clearly a big part of how Klopp plays. Have to agree to some extent though. Cheers buddy

1. MTPockets

Reads like a guess (no actual info)

5. semiconductor

1 for me

6. TorresMagic™

Last Man Standing Update

Current safety score = 4
    Top score = 51
    LMS average = 17.27

6 games + lots of autosubs.

1. Eat my goal!

Ha

2. teriyaki 69

I'm sailing through with 15(-4) so far thanks to those jammy goals by Watford and Cardiff at the death yesterday.

7. #FPLBhuna

anyone considering chicharito?

1. Eat my goal!

As a starter

2. Ghost Gooner

I am. Have Arnie and really like West Ham's fixtures and they like to attack so I might just go with him

3. The 5% Team

No not directly, had one good game this year...wait and see for me

4. Gooner97

Pellegrini

8. unitednations

Couple of quick questions
    1) Would you start Diop over Alonso this gw?
    2) Who to captain from Richarlison (WAT) and Kane (lei)?
    3) Worth taking a hit to get auba for captaincy purposes? especially considering i will be WC-ing in gw17

1. Kanchelskis

1. No.
      2. Harry
      3. Just WC now?

1. unitednations

Nah missed the price rises plus gonna get rid of rich and Digne

9. Magic Bean Hunter

Any whu fans here? Who do you guys think will play more, Lucas Perez or Chicharito?

1. aspilcueta

I'm not, but I know who is the better footballer.

Hernandez by a mile.

1. Magic Bean Hunter

Thanks mate. I think Lperez is kind of underrated tho with so few chances to prove himself

1. aspilcueta

You are right in that he doesn't get many chances to prove himself. He might rotate them both over the Xmas period. If they are both on form it could work nicely. If I were going to bring one of them into my team, I would probably go Chicha 🙂

10. Teomi

Long term move, -4...
    yes or no?

mane and arnie to fanderson and lacca

1. yakirh

Laca audition today

11. yakirh

---Hazard owners!---
    Do you plan on keeping him long term?
    Fixtures do look nice (not amazing, but very nice)
    At the beginning of the season it seems like he's the new Salah, can he bounce back?

1. Magic Bean Hunter

got him for 10.5, so yes

2. Greenbackbøøg…

Depends a lot on what he does today, another blank and I think I'll be done with him

3. The_Fish

Sold him last week to fund Kane. Fully expecting him to hit form now he's been dropped.

1. Game Over

Relax, he's in my team so will do naff all.

4. antis0cial

Last chance today (as C too!), have the money to straight swap to Sterling but also have Arnie to sort!

12. Gooner97

0.2 ITB, 1FT

A) Ederson to Fabianski
    B) Duffy to Holding/Kolasinac/Yedlin
    C) Arnie to Jimenez/Mitrovic/Success

1. Greenbackbøøg…

C Mitro

1. Gooner97

I already ownded him and it was frustrating tbf

1. Goonsquad245

New manager

13. The_Fish

A) Mane and Mitrovic
    B) Gudmundsson/Doucoure and Auba

1. Magic Bean Hunter

B, with snodgrass

14. teriyaki 69

The late goals by Cardiff and Watford yesterday were a gift from the FPL gods.

1. Pompel

Kept me from rage quittting (for the n'th time 😉 )

2. Kanchelskis

I am grateful for it.

3. Gooner97

I believe they do not own Ederson

4. TAT

My only chance of a decent GW was ruined by that Watford goal…

5. Tempestic

True, I'm on -5 currently and its the only thing that stopped me ending it all. Deleting my account I mean.

15. Disturbed

Eriksen brace and Kane blank tonight would be gold.

1. Kanchelskis

1-1 with Sissoko scoring would be great.

2. Gooner97

Foyth gol incoming

3. aspilcueta

This is disturbing, Disturbed.

16. gauzah

All of the cheap strikers have awful fixtures, except Mitrovic. Mitro seems like the logical replacement for Arnie but is on the suspension tightrope. 5 man midfield an option?

1. Kanchelskis

Would just be 1 match ban and is Fulham talisman.

2. teneighty

The other WHU-strikers have pretty good fixtures until Arnie is back.

17. Scotty B

Arnie confirmed out for 3 weeks?

1. Kanchelskis

Evening Standard seem to think so.

2. Rupert The Horse

Or more.

18. Bat Man

Chances were f Salah getting rested against BOU?

1. Kanchelskis

I get the impression that he doesn't get rested at all other than being brought off early.

2. Magic Bean Hunter

With mane injured and firmino out of form, i think its slim. Maybe he will just get his minutes controlled (subbed early)

3. Rupert The Horse

Lots say he will if he plays tonight, but he won’t.

4. farmerfat

200%

19. pakornk

A. Hazard and Arnie
    B. Son and Auba

1. Kanchelskis

Don't think you want to be keeping/getting in Arnie.

2. aspilcueta

Seeing Arnie is injured for the foreseeable future, definitely B.

To be honest, B anyway.

20. ddfc

% chance of robbo playing tonight?

1. Nascimento

0 tbh

2. TorresMagic™

Low probably.

3. Gooner97

R0bb0

4. dmkp

I think the chances have gone up considerably due to mane's absence. Klopp won't be keen on replacing both left sides players

1. aspilcueta

He can just play Salah or Shaqiri out there and Bobby up top. No problems.

Don't forget Moreno is more than capable of taking care of that left back position *coughs*

1. aspilcueta

Or Sturridge.

5. yakirh

21.3%

6. HIAFL (Howe to Train your D…

low

7. Burger

Prepare for a shock - Robbo to start, TAA to get benched.

21. HIAFL (Howe to Train your D…

till gw21 who scores more:
    A)Kane
    B)Sterling

1. Kanchelskis

Think Sterling CS points and extra point for goal tips it his way.

2. Eat my goal!

Points or goals

Points sterling

Goals Kane

3. avfc82

Probably Sterling.

22. Auboomerang

Arnie, Salah & Hudson Odoi > Lacazette, Schurrle & Son worth a -8?

Only planned a -4 this week but like many, Arnie screwed over plans.

1. aspilcueta

Yes, because otherwise you have only 1 playing player. With the latter 3 you have 3 that are likely to play.

2. dmkp

Why - 8, can't you just do Arnie & salah transfers.

1. Auboomerang

I have two fodders (Success & Hudson Odoi) and planned to get rid of one this week. But now Arnie is injured it's screwed me over a bit.

3. GoonSquad

Maybe Laca, Snodgrass and Alli?

23. valurth

Arnie + Martial > Mitro + Sane?

Sane or Son?

Have exact funds

Current Team:Patricio (Button)
    Trippier - TAA - Digne (Doherty, Bennett)
    Sterling- Salah - Sigurdsson - Martial (Obiang)
    Aubameyang - Wilson - Arnie

1. Kanchelskis

Like your initial suggestion.

24. sirmorbach

Fabianski / Patricio

Alonso / TAA / Doherty / Duffy / Balbuena

Sterling / Hazard / Sané / Richarlison / Fraser

Aubameyang / Arnautovic / Success

Crazy to do Hazard-Snodgrass, Arnie-Kane for a hit?

1. Kanchelskis

Good chance to get Kane in and Arnie won't score many from physio's table. Haz playing for his place tonight?

1. sirmorbach

Good point.

If, and only if Haz disappoints tonight, is Snodgrass a good option?

2. antis0cial

It's not Crazy with Arnie being injured. Kane vs Hazard, i'm still on hazard but if he doesn't perform tonight he'll be gone. This move is tempting, not sure how nailed on snodgrass is but he's a decent player.

1. sirmorbach

Cheers!

25. Burger

Ben Davies, asking for trouble or worthwhile pick?

1. HIAFL (Howe to Train your D…

asking for trouble i think

2. badgerboy (Howe to Train Yo…

Danny Rose is back. You know how this story will go with 2 games a week.

1. Burger

This is true.

3. antis0cial

He hasn't managed any attacking returns and isn't a guaranteed starter so a no from me

26. GoonerByron

Hazard + Arnie -> Dilva (Or Bilva) + Lacazette worth (-4)?

1. Kanchelskis

Wait till after tonight to decide.

1. Kanchelskis

PS, owning Bilva is frustrating.

27. rnrd

Hi Guys,

I am on a WC.
    I came down to the conclusion that even if I had Kane, I'd probably actually never captain him over the Xmas period.
    However, still a bit concerned about ownership and how damaging a Kane (c) could be for overall rank and fought owing Son might actually cover it a bit an free a lot of funds elsewhere for what is at this point an hypothetical kane haul.
    So are the kane 12.4 really worth it when you can probably cover him for 4£ less?

1. GoonerByron

You'd never captain a premium striker who's probably the most nailed of anyone to avoid rotation in his team?

1. rnrd

when a better option is available probably not indeed
        sterling for instance

1. GoonerByron

He done really well last night 😉

2. MTPockets

I got him for reverse rationale - the one captain option I'm (fairly) sure will play, and for 90 mins

3. Kanchelskis

Lots on here (and in top 10k have jumped on him), but I'd wait and see/have a plan to get him in you could. Obviously Soton rubbish and expect Spurs to be comfortable, but bookies odds for 1-1 same as for 3 - 0. Even if Spurs smash them you would think Kane will be hauled off as soon as it is comfortable considering how often games are and rather important one in Spain next week (could just be saying all this to make myself feel better).

28. Bury94

Is Robbo wiorth the extra money over TAA?

1. Bury94

*Worth

2. KingOllie

nope

3. Eat my goal!

Not this gw

4. Dybala10

Robbo served me well but I downgrade on WC. I wouldn't actively look to sell him but TAA will near enough cover him.

5. Bury94

Thought so, thanks.

6. seanie3

Get both and get rid of Salah that’s what I’m doing. Liverpool keep a lot of clean sheets

29. pakornk

Would you do Hazard and Arnie to Anderson and Auba?

1. Eat my goal!