Pro Pundits - Lateriser

How to stop the Mane ‘bad beat’ affecting your FPL season

Fantasy Premier League and the game of Texas Hold’ Em Poker have a lot of similarities.

You’re playing a game of cards throughout the night and there sometimes comes a hand where you have played everything correctly and, statistically, the odds are in your favour.

But then the least probable outcome happens. Your Sadio Mané (£12.5m) Triple Captain goes off injured early. That’s just how the dice rolls sometimes.

In Poker, we call it a ‘bad beat’. Over the course of the night, you have about 150-200 hands to play and there will be times when you do face a bad beat; a statistically unfavourable outcome (more than once in a lot of cases).

What separates the skilled players from the normal players in Poker though are the ones that temperamentally do not get affected by the statistically improbable ‘bad beat’ and continue hammering on with their strategy and trust. Despite a few setbacks along the way, they should end the night with a positive outcome with or without minor adjustments.

Keeping your temperament in control is incredibly important. It’s very easy to go ‘on tilt’ and make a series of low probability, irrational decisions after facing a bad beat.

I was talking to Trigg from the FFS boards while writing this in the morning and he had an important point to make here. As humans, we have a tendency to want instant gratification. We want our money (FPL points) back right away and that sometimes leads to poor decision making.

Clear your head and think again.

Mane, Abraham and Vardy injury updates ahead of FA Cup fourth round weekend

My good friend from the FFS boards, Prophet was telling me about a Serbian saying that when roughly translated in English goes like this – “Mom didn’t blame you for gambling but for trying to dig yourself out of the hole”.

The digging yourself out here means first putting in 100 Euros, then 500 and eventually your house. Tilts are dangerous and we should avoid them. The good Poker players are always looking to hunt and find which of their competitors are going ‘on tilt’ so that they can exploit them for some serious money.

Sometimes, you’re not really lucky throughout the night (or your FPL season) and other nights (seasons) you will be more fortunate than normal. Don’t pay attention to the improbable outcomes. We might not even know about it but we’ve probably made a few ‘statistically stupid’ decisions ourselves that have worked out for the best but it is human tendency to remember only the ones that don’t land on your side of the court.

FPL in some ways is similar. You’re making a skilled decision for an unknown outcome. Arguably, you have more control in Poker but there are similarities. There are factors you control and others you don’t. I wrote an article earlier this season that we are making about 140-150 FPL decisions a season:

• Initial Team + 2 Wildcards + 1 Free Hit = 4 x 15 = 60
  • 38 Captains = 38
  • 3 Chips = 3
  • 35-55 Transfers throughout the season

Naturally, the FPL chips and your captaincies are your relatively high impact decisions. There is more at stake than normal. But they are still not going to decide your ‘entire’ season. All that has happened with some of the high impact decisions not coming your way is that you have received a ‘bad beat’ in a pot in which you have invested a lot of money. It happens. We’ve seen it over the years and if you want to develop as an FPL/ Poker player, don’t let this affect you, laugh it off, clear your head and continue doing what you are doing.

I’ve faced both sides of the coin very recently. The Jamie Vardy (£9.9m) to Sergio Aguero (£12.0m) captain move which worked out spectacularly (I’ve since sold the Manchester City forward and I’m plotting to get him back). But then, of course, I Triple Captained Mané and that turned out to be quite spectacular in its own right. Just goes to see that no one can really see the future and we’re all playing a game where we’re trying to put ourselves in an advantageous position week on week is all.

Aguero asking the question of non-owners as De Bruyne ticks over

You have to think of your current position as the starting line. AK, another good friend of mine from the FFS boards says that in Poker, whatever be the case, you have to focus on salvaging your ‘current position’. There is a lot of the game left to be played.  Most of us still have about 50 to 60 decisions remaining in the season. That is about 40% of your decision-making pool. There is a lot you can do to affect that.

• If you’re ranked at around the 1 million mark right now, 500k is just 37 points ahead. That’s one good differential captaincy in my eyes.
  • If you’re ranked at around 500k right now, 100k is just 59 points ahead right now.
  • If you’re ranked at 100k right now, 10k is only 55 points ahead.

If you look at the game this way, you realize that you can still have the rub of the green, have some decisions working in your way and who knows where you will land at the end of the season.

I’d recommend not looking back at what has already happened; instead, plot further ahead (or just take a break and enjoy the FA Cup football over the weekend) and salvage your current position.

The game is more fun that way. Make yourselves immune to the ‘bad beats’. If you’re far away from your actual goal, experiment with some new strategies for the next season. Re-condition your mind to the changing nature of FPL, or check if your current strategy will take you through this night (season) of FPL Poker and go past the bad beats.

Don’t forget it’s a game that we’re playing for fun based around a sport we watch for enjoyment (supposedly!). Don’t make it anything else. I’m currently sitting at an overall rank of 528 and I definitely intend on having fun with the privileged position I am in. Let’s see where it takes me.

Here’s to no more bad beats.

Become a Member and access our data

Memberships for the rest of the 2019/20 campaign are now available for the discounted price of £9.99 or the monthly price of £2.99.

1. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

Wc draft what do you reckon, not sure who to get in place of maddison?

Henderson Button
    Trent Robbo Lundstram Stephens Lascelles
    Salah KDB Maddison Grealish Hayden
    Auba Jimenez Ings

0.1ITB for upgrades

1. GreennRed

Traore, Doucoure, Barnes, David Silva,a punty Almiron? Have you hit wildcard yet?

1. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

Yes I have hit the button, cheers for these interesting suggestions.

2. The 12th Man

Very good. Like the Stephens/Lascelles rotation.

3. Pieterke30

Pity you cant afford Aguero imo. Think id prefer Kun than Auba for the next 2-3 games.

Pretty good team otherwise

1. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

Cheers, I could maybe squeeze in Sergio if I moved maddison down to traore. Something to monitor.

2. how do you respond to bad beats?
    Lateriser 12

Had fun writing this. Those that are having a poor-ish season and/ or have triple captained Mane should especially read this. Always intrigued by Game Theory and FPL's connection to Poker. As usual, looking forward to your thoughts.

1. Stejson

The pain for me is that this is a third week in a row on a captain fail when, in general, it has been low scoring weeks in the main.
      It's a sad way to crash out of LMS and looks like I'll have the shame of losing to Average in a head to head down to misfortune.
      Still, much of the season to go, many points to be had and, at the end of the day, it should just be a game for fun

1. Lateriser 12

Exactly. Just brush it off.

2. GARY AND JAMIE

Last captain points I had equal one assist in GW19

2. olidooley

Very good article. A lot of the game is staying cool and putting things in perspective. Make decisions based on available evidence, data and your own gut from watching the football. That’s all you can do really.

3. The 12th Man

An interesting read and well timed for those that are frustrated with this week.
      Happened with me last year with Sane(TC). That was one of the reasons why I decided to use my TC chip in GW1 this year.

I’ve certainly been a victim of my own bad decisions after a bad gw because one thinks you can have a quick fix straight away. It just spirals out of control with hits.
      Best of just switching FPL off for a few days and amuse yourself with something else.

1. Lateriser 12

Yep. Zophar mentions. Coping mechanisms are a thing.

4. Free Hat

As a Mane TCer and Poker enthusiast I enjoyed it very much.
      Sometimes you can plan perfectly (mane salah taa) and set up your team the best way possible, but its still a game. Element of luck can alter it,
      Its hard to take, but you need to move forward indeed.
      As long as you know in your hand you made the right moves, just dont blame yourself of anything else.

1. Lateriser 12

And don't forget there are many more hands

5. KGFC

Nice read!!

Thanks

6. POLSKA GOLA

It was a great read. It’s hard to cope with Mane TC fail. I’ve managed to stop short of taking him out for a hit. Got Kun in for Vardy. Mane stays.
      I guess I’m lucky in a way that I had other things going on in real life as go away for a week in Dubai from this morning. That should get me to forget about FPL for a few days and recharge the batteries for next GW

Good timing

1. POLSKA GOLA

Yeah, it certainly helped.
          Over the past seasons I’ve always relied on Kun when I felt bad about my FPL team’s returns. I had exact money for Vardy to Kun, that was a sign from heavens (or from FPL towers)

7. Warblers Fear Satan

Good article, and guilty as charged. I normally end the season around 40-50,000 and only once above 100,000, so being at 1.2 mill is a little difficult to take. Of course, my panicky or frustrated move have made it worse--and I keep doing it. If we were at a poker table I would be handing you might shirt.

8. Eat my goal!

I prefer to liken the game to chess - one attack failed, it may have been hours in the thinking and creation and ultimately led to the loss of a major piece but that doesn’t stop planning and enacting the next attack which could very well be successful

Salvaging. Current. Position.

2. The Overthinker - I blame R…

Well said

3. Lord - Blaming it on Rio

The analogy to chess works in terms of planning and strategy; and likelihood of premature attacks (or rage transfers in FPL) leading to grief; but in chess that bad beat (or lost piece) will cost you the game. In FPL you always have a chip and a chair.

Oh, and excellent article Lateriser.

1. Eat my goal!

Not if you go all in on a bad flop trying to ride it out with a bluff - lol

One major piece should never lose you a chess game!

1. baps sniffer

You are not a good chess player. One error is enough to lose the match. But in this poker there is still a lot of money(pts) to win.

2. Lord - Blaming it on Rio

If you really believe that you have never played chess at a competitive level. A piece down without compensation should be a certain loss. Indeed, most serious players would resign. Indeed one of the key differences in chess is that there is little luck involved. I can aspire to beat hall of fame players in an FPL season, but in a game against Kasparov I would have no chance at all.

4. DantheManinaPan

Chess is purely a game of skill though - you can't get a 'bad beat' in chess where chance goes against you

9. Lateriser 12

I'll add to this discussion here by asking how do you react to bad beats? What are your coping mechanisms? It's much easier in FPL than poker because you're playing poker live. I just switch off from FPL sometimes and come back 2 days later.

1. lilmessipran

I'd say Variance is much easier to handle in poker.. putting in the right amount of volume and playing with the right Bankroll management can easily offset variance . The timeframe is much longer in fpl

2. Eat my goal!

Exactly this - no point staying on about to listen to the fake sympathy or cheers of those on the other side of the coin

Better to step away come back and reassess after the full damage can be seen

Whilst in the back ground focus on making gains that others aren’t focused on

3. Warblers Fear Satan

Easy! I react with a brainless, reactive,, ill-thought out, and ultimately pointless transfer. Thus I transition from irrational anger, annoyance and frustration to feeling sheepishly and shamefully dumb, which I find much more benign and easier to handle.

haha

2. baps sniffer

Good one 😉 I remember once or perhaps twice having done early hate transfer. I think I have always gained pts from them, but I do remember thinking, that I can handle lost points, but no way I am going to handle being priced out of good move.

Basically whether I am lucky or unlucky, it doesn't affect my planned transfers. I have some kind of watchlist in my head and plans when to bring some players in. I follow their performance and underlying stats during difficult fixtures.

4. GoonSquad

I make the best decision I can with the info I have at the time and a varying amount of "gut feeling" so I dont worry about a bad beat or a FPL miscue.

10. Cruz88

Nice article mate. And is it "Lat-er-iser" or "Late-riser" btw? Heard them using the first on the scoutcast but always assumed the second

Late-Riser

1. Cruz88

Thought so 🙂

11. jesperdalagersuri

Great article. Your very sound advice is applicable in life as a whole I'd say. The world would be a less volatile place. I did Salah tc but last week I benched Pope (for Mccarthy) and this week both Pope and Stephens (Kelly as I thought Ings who I have would be rested with today's Spurs game in mind). I think I should be higher than I am, but I like my team and I hope that the law of averages will turn in favour sooner rather than later. Pope Mccarthy
      TAA, lundstram, Stephens, kelly, Soyuncu.
      Mane, Salah,Kdb, Traore, cantwell.
      Ings, Jimenez, Vardy

12. el polako

Good read.

Find it hard to laugh off Mane's TC fail - epsecially after last years Sane.

This game should be just fun but often is more than that with work\freinds mini leagues where not only cash but more importantly reputation is at stake.

Bad captain pick in single game is bad but I can cope with it.

Triple captain fail over 2 games when you only have 1 chance of it over a season is hard to stomach and affects my mood - at the moment hate the game and got so low that I wish that Salah, Firmino & TAA all miss WHU game.

1. Lateriser 12

Just stay away for a bit would be my recommendation.

2. Lord - Blaming it on Rio

It’s not a bad Captain pick, just an unlucky one.

13. The_Fish

Very good advice. As someone having a good season (and doesn’t own Mane) I’m hoping lots of people ignore you, make terrible decisions through anger and allow me to climb further.

14. The Overthinker - I blame R…

Perfect timing of the article.

Enjoy the off days. Spent some time with family friends and maybe a little bit for life.

15. Kagge

....and I enjoyed reading it good analysis and comparison with poker.

16. RoysCallerAnne

The secret is to not moan about bad luck, just take your medicine like a good boy.
      There is no satisfaction beating a rival who always bleats on about bad beats.
      Then, when you have a good week, make sure everybody knows about it. Crow on and on about how the game is all about knowledge and pull out the old chestnut about consistency of high finishes being directly correlated to skill.
      When you set yourself up as the guy that everyone wants to beat because you're so anjoying, then your rivals make mistakes as they're sucked into non optimal moves in their quest to knock you off your perch.
      Accept and revel in the fact that you have gained significantly over those that TCed Mane. Don't say hard luck to them, laugh at them and taunt them instead. It might annoy them enough that they mess up another chip in their desperation to put you back in your box.

1. Lateriser 12

This is food for the soul and music to my ears.

RCA, ladies and gentlemen.

1. pulpy77

Having other interests or hobbies to switch attention to for a couple of days helps me deal with a bad beat and keeps some perspective to FPL. That said my wife will tell you I'm obsessed with it.

2. The_Fish

I’m definitely the heel in my paid ML. Wind up the people who could beat me until they make worse decisions and they go into a spiral. Suddenly they’re 100 points behind you, team in a terrible shape and they have no idea how they got there.

3. Cruyff's Eleven

Hahaha...

This made me laugh, thank you sir..

PS. In case you are serious - good luck finding anyone to taunt, coz where I'm from, you ain't playing no more.... 😉

1. Wild Rover

Oh he’s serious alright 😉

17. Collie01

To be honest I wasn't expecting much from Mane(TC) based on my past record with the chip. The highest score my TC has ever gotten is 3pts. So the whole chip seems like a bat beat dragged over multiple seasons.

You can't legislate for bad luck in this game. It comes to everybody. I feel I made the right call with TC Mane and would do the same again. What I am very glad about is that I played Jimi when briefly considered playing Greenwood. That would have been a bad decision as opposed to bad luck and those are the ones you end up kicking yourself with.

Good Jimi decision that.

18. Triggerlips

Great article, but why everyone acting like Mane is out already? Have I missed some news

1. Lateriser 12

Na but you could argue that him being out for 75 mins of a DGW was poor too. Just people get too attached to bad beats which they should not.

2. POLSKA GOLA

I would think chance for Mané being in the squad for WHU has to be extremelly low. Hasn’t Klopp admitted after the game he needed to find solutions for next 3 games ‚probably’ without Mané? Although not officialy confirmed by doctors I wouldn’t expect Klop to risk Mané against WHU.
        I’m hopeful for SOT return though

19. Make Arrows Green Again

Pick ourselves up and move on. That's all we can do.

We can overanalyse an unfair situation and dwell but ultimately if the game were always fair it would be predictable, and if it were always predictable then you couldn't have FPL in the first place.

Every success you have in FPL comes at the expense of others and vice versa, it's a fundamental element of a game decided on rankings.

One TC fail will affect your OR, of course it will, but it's still probably only 20 points in more than 2000. If you need those points to make or break your season you're probably not doing that well anyway.

I finished top 100k the last two seasons with TC fails in each and TC success probably wouldn't have got me into the top 10K.

Look forward to next week or in extreme cases, next season!

1. Make Arrows Green Again

Great article btw 🙂

Thanks

20. Cruyff's Eleven

Great words, thank you.

The boys at the FFS boards are all very wise, btw......

Thanks

21. Twisted Saltergater

People acting like someone has died. ITS A GAME! Play for fun and banter with mates and learn some perspective.

1. Bobby

It's hard to banter when you're doing terribly!

1. Twisted Saltergater

It’s a strange season alright. The switch from Jimenez to Ings a few weeks back looked such a sound move and Jimenez has gone on to register 3 attacking returns, while Ings has blanked or hasn’t even played. But the logic was arguably correct.

All you can do is take stock and make some moves for the longer term. It’s so easy to be reactionary. Take Vardy and Mané; they’re players I want for the run in and their injuries appear to be slight so I’ll probably keep. Aguero is tempting but may not even play away to Spurs and could blank in GW28! What other premiums are worth chasing?

Take a calm look at your team and strengthen the weaknesses. Your time will come 🙂

This.

22. Magic Zico

Few things, firstly you know that the more efforts you put in the higher the expectation to gain results, it’s a game so moderation for me and avoid overthinking. Secondly, there is no way FPL success impact identity, if so deep down then better get away of it for a serious break. Thirdly, I felt more content to do something brave although that did not deliver the right outcome than any hesitation. Be yourselves on whatever situation, that’s probably sum up my approach.

1. Twisted Saltergater

Great post

2. Lateriser 12

Nice

23. Firminoooo

Good article. I always think about FPL as a loooong poker game. We are almost FPL neighbours, I am 36 places in front of you.

1. Bobby

Is switching vardy and mane to alli and aguero a panic move?

1. Firminoooo

Vardy and Mane are still good FPL picks. Have to wait and see for more info about injury. If Vardy out 1 GW, I will just bench him. Mane is a lot of money, so I will probably sell to fund double Liv defence, maybe bring Aguero back in. Alli, wait and see. Tottenham not looking great.

2. Lateriser 12

Good luck 🙂

24. Jarvish Scott Talent

Isn't FPL supposed to be fun? So much talk on here about the game affecting mental health, and now talking about coping mechanisms ffs. I think everyone needs to step back and realise what a first world problem having a bit of bad luck in a game is.

1. Twisted Saltergater

Absolutely +1

2. Lateriser 12

Its the point i'm trying to make that its just a game

1. Jarvish Scott Talent

Absolutely, so why the hot topic title? It's almost as if the FFS editorial are trying to suck the fun out of the game, what with this sort of thing and their neglect of the community aspect of the site. This used to be a much more fun place, but now it is "all work and no play"

1. Baines on Toast...

It feels like you’ve turned an isolated example into a general theme here

1. Jarvish Scott Talent

You've got a 9 next to your name - how do you feel the site has evolved over the years?

1. Lateriser 12

Feedback implemented. Thanks Jarvish.

2. Baines on Toast...

Very hard to maintain same vibe due to the explosion of FPL itself. I wouldn’t mind a members-only forum or something like that.

It’s unusable on match days etc now, which might historically have been more fun, but in downtime the different angles they’re taking (like this article) I think are positive.

One challenge is how they balance things out against the Paterson/twitter/expert crowd. Especially when a few of the columnists are trying to do that themselves.

1. Baines on Toast...

Patreon not patterson

2. Lateriser 12

That was my fault. I've flagged to change the title.

3. andy85wsm

Don't think there was a huge amount wrong with the title that was suggested originally. Think that shows by most of the replies taking it for what it is and talking about the HT/article at hand.

Perhaps your coping mechanism is to realise it's just a game and there are more important things and move on quickly. That's fine, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

Whether you think it's sucking the fun out or not people do get frustrated with things like this. Coping mechanism might sound a bit more serious but it seems like most people knew what Lateriser was getting at and gave their thoughts.

Have changed it as Lateriser requested it to be changed, but it's not really the big issue it's being made out to be here in my opinion.

3. Lateriser 12

In hindsight coping mechanism is a strong word. Maybe how do you deal with disappointment? Seen a lot of people get affected by it so tried to write this to say there's no point thinking about bad luck. Sh!t happens.

1. Baines on Toast...

Yeah and I think the main thing might be ‘how to still enjoy football as much as you normally do...’ Because if FPL affects that as well it’s a double whammy.

4. Syd.

Hit the nail on the head.

FFS is creating a sense of entitlement with all the articles in the lead up to the DGW lulling people into thinking they are going to win big.

People need to wise up, put things into perspective, realise that shite happens and remember it’s only a stupid game.

1. Lateriser 12

FFS has published an article saying it happens, its only a game.

25. tisza

Been playing long enough to know these things happen.

I'm on a run that goes back to World club championship.
      Took out TAA to fund Son in with the plan to bring back TAA after Leicester away!!
      Son sent off so thought Pogba return could be a nice differential as his sub cameo transformed utd performance vs Watford. All know how that went. So Alli in for Pogba.
      Son a player never performs for me so should have known better ( sometimes just have to be irrational in explaining my FPL shortcomings :))

And so on until this DGW.
      Brought in Mane for Alli and a - 4. Wanted Firmino but the Mane ownership threatened to bury my season if it came off and I didn't own him.

Ofc Alli scores after 4 blanks. A poor signing as he hadn't really passed the eye test. Some pretty goals but really wasn't doing much else.

So Mane going off just brought a wry smile.
      Genuinely fell sorry for the TCers as like to see all players do well.

Mane going regardless of injury situation as need a rethink as "slipped" from around 210k week before WCC to around 970k.

Seen this all before. Before the WCs changed I remember a February GW having to go into a GW with just 6 players due to injuries & suspensions all from the previous GW. 16 points.
      Still bounced back from that.
      Still only a game and it's there to be enjoyed

1. Lateriser 12

Thats a lot of bad beats

1. tisza

yep. But has happened to every long-term player.
          So shake it off, reset targets - 8 consecutive top 1% finishes so that's the new target.
          Just view the rest of the season as a new challenge.
          Still think the key for most people is to focus on point gaps rather than actual rank atm. Not sure I remember many seasons when this late in it has been so congested. A couple of differential captains can have a massive impact.

26. Syd.

It all depends on your level of involvement and intensity. From my perspective I just play the game for fun and I laugh when things go pear shaped.

It’s only a stupid game

Real football upsets me more

27. andy85wsm

I just try and have a laugh about it and move on.

It's difficult especially when you're trying to create content and having such a bad season, and part of that bad season is of course bad decisions.

But triple captaining Mane in a double gameweek and getting 1 point just isn't something you can account for.

I knew the Wolves game would be tough, and expected most of the points to come at West Ham but when I saw him about to walk off I had to laugh about it from a FPL point of view, because at that stage what more can you do? It's just bad luck.

1. Syd.

Bad decisions shouldn’t be confused with bad luck.

Triple captaining Mane was not a bad decision it was just bad luck.

Getting rid of TAA was a bad decision 😉

1. andy85wsm

Yup, fully agreed.

I've made plenty of bad decisions this season hence the rank.

Not keeping Lundstram on forced wildcard, getting rid of TAA, removing KDB knowing I'd want him back straight away.

The rank is my fault for the majority.

But I'm not blaming myself for Mane getting injured in the first half of a double gameweek, just going to laugh it off and move on 🙂

1. Syd.

That’s all you can do Andy.

I have almost become ambivalent to the game because I just expect the unexpected which is the only thing that keeps the game interesting for me.

2. FPL Motty

We have very weirdly similar ranking this season! Started off similar, stuck yoyoing from 300k-700k, started xmas around 500k and dropped back to 750k.

It's been a frustrating year for sure, sounds like weve both made bad calls at bad times, I pulled out kdb just before his haul, pulled grealish before his hauls, etc. However despite such a bad season I actually look at it and think I've done very well this year compared to others, in the sense that I believe I've made many good calls based on good reasoning, put my team in a position to go for differential calls but just unfortunately theres been a lot of bad luck for me this year and good luck for me other years. But it's best to keep the faith that eventually solid decision making will pay off, and as lateriser showed, one big call can propel you from 1m to 500k and to 100k and so forth. Theres still many opportunities to gain this year, and you've gotta laugh off the ridiculous weeks such as this mane injury!

28. Biancazzurri

It's easy to mix up fun and desperation. You don't have to cope, just get on with the game.

It can be just as frustrating sitting with your hands tucked under your bum, pretending it's zen to not do anything.

As you say, you're just one move away from breaking the bank, eg. Vardy > Aguero switch (so which one is that - an erratic move or a having fun with it?)

For me this is a 'Man Utd' season - whatever I do it just isn't right, but I'm still second in my mini league.

Keep it cool and wait for your chance, a very good advice indeed.

29. FPL Motty

Great article! I agree wholeheartedly and sometimes its needed to hear someone tell you what you might be telling someone else!

Another point I want to add though is that I think this also brings up the injuries issue around this time of year. The premier league clearly needs to look at this, you think whos been injured: kane, rashford, mane, vardy, richarlison, abraham, the whole newcastle defence, Heston, mcginn, etc. From an FPL point of view I think it means we should approach this time of year expecting some major issues to your team. In one sense injuries add a needed variance to the game, shakes up the template every now and again, but at this time of year it's definitely becoming a bit more than that. If you think about some of major leading English clubs, they have lost some of their most influential players, just in time for champions league to start again soon while European clubs have been resting their players. We are shooting ourselves in the foot.

But anyhows, from an FPL perspective as this isnt going to change anytime soon we should keep in the back of our minds that this is always much more likely at this time of year and try not to take it as such a shock and misfortune. In reality everybody must have been affected by some unlucky injury and enforced transfer with the amount of quality players injured. We are all in the same boat somewhat and as lateriser has pointed out, it's how we adjust to these "bad beats" that can still define our season. There may be many who have knee-jerked vardy /mane (for a -4) out due to frustration but if you can remove yourself from the frustration, the best decision currently may to wait still. Vardy may be okay, mane will miss one more game possibly but could very well be back after that, there could be some big gains against the crowd if you hold. Food for thought!

1. Lateriser 12

Really nice post this. And we have to take rotation and injuries into account now which have become a huge part of the game.

1. FPL Motty

Cheers mate!

30. GARY AND JAMIE

Yep its poker ok. You try and get the odds 55-45 in your favour but that needs 100s of gameweeks to prosper and bad beats are part of this system.

Anyone struggling ought to visit a kids hospital etc for a life reality check

31. Boofsteino

Great article! I always try and approach the game in a similar way to poker, trying to focus on the reasons for the decisions rather than the outcome. It's very easy to retrospectively convince yourself that a luck outcome was the result of a good decision and vice versa. It takes a lot of the emotional reaction out of the game approaching it in this way and stops me going on tilt and transferring in a player with terrible fixtures who just punished me with a brace. That said, it's easier said than done!

One question though, how come you don't count bench/ bench order into the number of decisions you make throughout the season?

32. Bare Foot United

Last year Kane (1x3)
      This year Sterling (1x3)
      It's just my second season and I 'm miles better from the last One . Just enjoying my 1pts 😀

33. Balance

I find it relatively easy to cope with “bad Beats”...

The challenge I have is figuring out whether it was indeed just poor luck or actually a bad decision, a poor rank after 20+ gwks especially messes with my head 🙂

In terms of coping mechanism, I try to always focus on the process (how I arrived at the decision) ; hopefully the outcome will take care of itself.

34. mineinplace

I find the comparisons to both chess and poker fascinating.

with chess, its how you get to move only one piece at a time. Thats why its important to put your pieces on good squares on chess, such that they co ordinate well without needing to move much, as its most likely you wont move them again too soon. Like how in fpl you dont get to change players every week.

with poker, its how you play your hand. there s 'the rock', who folds a lot pre - flop, never calls or raises, basically his stack says the same till others devour him (no hits, ultra safe picks and captaincy choices) . There s the 'calling station', who plays all hands, but only calls, doesnt raise his good hands or fold his bad hands. these are passive and bad (doesnt jump on oppurtunities, takes bad hits and panics). there s 'the shark' who plays a few hands but raises them big and makes them count, while folding most hands (the consistent fpl player who plans ahead). and there s the loose agressivee player who raises and bluffs a lot (the fpl player agressive after opportunities, hits and all, with large upside)

• Sloopy

I’m no stranger to transfers out of frustration. It almost never pays off and makes things worse ( certainly if it also contains hits). Switching off for a few days seems good advise.

• RedLightning - The Last Ten…

To use a popular cliché, just keep calm and carry on.
        FPL sets us a succession of problems to which we have to find solutions. Try to learn from past mistakes and to avoid making the same one ones again in the future. But if a failure was really down to bad luck rather than bad planning then don't dwell on it - just get on with solving the next problem.
        Above all, don't react to a bit of bad luck by making an immediate rage transfer.
        Sleep on it first and then make a rational decision when you're feeling better, especially if there are further matches to be played before the next deadline that might affect it.

For example, I could have upgraded Vardy to Aguero or Aubameyang following his injury, but rushing into that would probably have been a poor decision, because Vardy's injury now appears to be not too serious after all, and there were plenty of other matches between Vardy's injury and the next deadline in which further injuries might have occurred - and indeed, in one of these Mane then got injured too.
        I could then have made an easy transfer from Mane to Salah, but Liverpool have another match next week in which it is possible that Salah might also get injured, so I'm waiting till after that match.
        Of course, this is all a lot easier if you have enough cash in the bank to absorb any adverse price changes!
        If you don't then you have to make a choice between the risk of being priced out of your intended transfer and the risk of getting further injuries that might make you want to make a different transfer instead.

• Throwback

Excellent article. Escaped the mane TC . Plenty of bad beats this season + the kicker is I haven’t capitalised on ML rivals slips.
        Mane / Mo / KDB / Vardy spine to my team isn’t looking good now
        Early moves haven’ t paid off recently - will try patience and wait instead.
        Tempted to keep Mane even if he misses 25. Split GW26 fixtures would give Mané until 14 feb (nor H) to recover

• Hakim Ziyech

Get baked & Just have a one night stand with a beautiful blonde looking european chick. An intense one. Very wild & sweaty etc.

You know what I mean... This is how I respond to any sort of bad beats in life( Get baked, 2 bottles of beer & a blonde or 2)

• elchilangles

a good read, especially for me being up to 44k and then 8 red arrows in past 9 taking me down to 280k, captaining Vardy last week and then TC on Mané making me want to do all sort of rash transfers to stop myself launching the laptop out of the window!

1. Zico Senna

Oh the pain, diddums

1. elchilangles

How empty your life must be for the pleasure you get with FPL being to troll other people, and looking at your past comments about the game being an addictive non-pleasurable game, I suggest for your own mental health you log out for a few days and take a little rest.

• Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

There are definitely interesting parallels between poker & FPL, some huge differences too obviously, but the bad beats similarity is there

(One of) The problem(s) with FPL is the comparative scarcity of "hands" with which you can recover from those bad beats though

In poker you will often play hundreds maybe over a thousand in an evening or tournament - there is a constant stream of opportunity to keep doing "the right thing"

Whereas in FPL we effectively have 38 hands over a 9 month period 🙂

Could you imagine playing a poker tournament which dealt one hand a week, for 9 months, had 7 days during which you could change your cards, and the whole thing ended after just 38 hands?

Something tells me it would be much harder to stay off tilt 🙂

1. Whatever100

I reckon FF is similar to roulette. You back a player (like Pope for example) for about 10 weeks and he gets very little and then finally get rid and he starts scoring big. In roulette you back red 10 in a row (and lose) then you move to red and suddenly it’s all red!

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Too true:-)

Some vague parallels with trading equities also exist in FPL - endeavouring to remove as much non-systematic risk as possible by having a balanced portfolio of assets...always aspiring to buy low (not just in terms of value - but in terms of points) and sell high, rather than the opposite which often happens (i.e. chasing last week's points!)...

Poker, Chess, The Stock Market... all have certain similarities to FPL... but none are as much fun/torture on a Saturday afternoon 🙂

• Ginkapo FPL

Muse are always reliable. Sometimes a Queen marathon depending on my mood.

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Waaaay too upbeat 🙂

You can't beat Radiohead Exit Music (For a Film) after captaining Son for a Red Card, or Vardy for a penalty miss for example

I'm sure it also appropriately captures Mane DGW Captainer's sentiment 🙂

1. Ginkapo FPL

Bad beats doesnt refer to Afroman?

1. Ginkapo FPL

I didnt read the article, cause I got high

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

High on life i presume of course

1. Ginkapo FPL

NEspresso

• reekster

Excellent article! Thanks for taking the time to put it together - it's salved my wounded pride a little.

• Bushwhacker

It’s a game of luck ; good and bad ... just have to roll with it, smile and move on.

• Trophé Mourinho

Same as poker tbh, have a break and step back.

• Hotdogs for Tea

I think there are two issues really, getting hit by Mane TC bad beat as an isolated bit of bad luck and then continued multiple bad beats for a sustained period.

GW18 captaining Son for a -2 over (say) Vardy
            GW19 Ederson -3 red card over Pope
            GW20 Aurier own goal -1
            GW21 bring in Rico for his own goal -1
            GW22 Sterling & Rico no show
            GW23 Vardy penalty miss and a 25 point gameweek

• Hotdogs for Tea

accidentally hit the post button too early 🙂

I think there are two issues really:

- getting hit by Mane TC bad beat as an isolated bit of bad luck
            - continued multiple bad beats for a sustained period.

I have had ...

GW18 captaining Son for a -2 over (say) Vardy
            GW19 Ederson -3 red card over Pope
            GW20 Aurier own goal -1
            GW21 Sterling 1 minute cameo, Vardy no show and bring in Rico for his own goal -1
            GW22 Sterling & Rico no show
            GW23 Vardy penalty miss and a 25 point gameweek

Obviously some bad decisions but getting own goals and red cards and missed penalties and injuries and no shows all in such a short period is hard to effectively manage.

All you can do is feel the beat, shrug it off, not moan (too much) and stick to your plan (it’s just a game) ... you can’t Wild Card or Hit your way out of bad luck

• The Hindu Monkey

macabre humour

• Leppamaki

WC active. What do you think about getting C Wilson as an one gw punt. Aston Villa at home gw25. Then move him for Ings. Want Ings long term but dont want to play him away at Liverpool gw25.

1. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

Maybe, I don't normally like planning a transfer the week after a wildcard. I'm getting Ings and benching him.

2. GreennRed

Get Ings. No one thought Jimenez would score v Pool. Worth a punt or keep him on your bencho that game. Even a free transfer can affect your mini league standing.Wilson in poor firm becayse Biurnemouth are and not giving him enough supplyo to damage even poor defences.

3. Firminoooo

Take Ings in now. He would love to score against us. Aston V could easily keep a CS against Bournemouth.

4. tisza

not like Liverpool haven't been giving up chances. maybe it just needs an in-form player like Ings to take one.
            I like the irrational logic of playing someone against their old club. So often something seems to happen

• rnrd

Great article as we are probably a lot of poker player here.
          The concept of variance is applicable to both Poker and FPL. You have to consider it and keep in mind it affects every player in the same way in the long term.
          The luck factor is huge but the HOF and the consistency of top players is the proof skills win in the end.

Another thing. Poker players usually say the lows are lowers than what the highs are high. There is a human tendancy to remember bad beats more than good ones.

Spot on

2. The 12th Man

Exactly.

3. olidooley

I notice some of the podcasters take it to heart and get affected by bad weeks more than others too. Of course they are in the public eye which accentuates it.

4. POLSKA GOLA

That is definitely true we tend to remember the bad results more than the good ones.
            I remember Sané’s TC one pointer rather that all the other successful ones. Having said that I’m fully intending to brag forever about my GW rank 817 from earlier this season lol

• laki89

Cheers from Serbia!

• Wattsy

Congratulations Lateriser, that’s up there with the very top posts I’ve ever read on this site. Also enjoyed your ‘meet the manager’ chat last week!

Thanks Wattsy

• lilmessipran

Aah ! The poker references, love it
          .nicely done Lateriser.. something most of us here can relate to

Cheers Lil

• bigbudgie

Happy new year to all those celebrating today

What's the consensus on Mane, is he a definite sell? And Vardy a wait and see?

1. Eat my goal!

Both are holds -anything can happen this weekend and in next weeks midweek games

Additionally we’ll get an updat no doubt on both

May even get to see vardy play

2. olidooley

Wait and see on both for now probably. A lot of games happening before next GW

3. Celt Abroad

Still no definitive news on a timeframe for Manes injury, I’m waiting to hear on that.

4. Soto Ayam

Do we know how long mane will be out for.? If he's gonna be for for home game against Southampton, I'll keep him

1. Soto Ayam

Happy cny

• Celt Abroad

Brilliant article, my favourite this season. Puts everything in much needed perspective.

Thanks buddy

• Samurai Blue

Great read as always Lateriser 12.

Cheers

• fc_skrald

Think I should do something with my two free transfers but not sure it is worth it - suggestions are welcomed:

a. Digne + Cantwell -> Williams + Martial
              b. Guaita -> Henderson

Guaita
              TAA, Digne, Robertson
              Salah, KDB, Grealish, Cantwell
              Vardy, Ings, Jiménez

Martin, Aurier, Lundstram, Hayden
              2 FT, 1,8 million in the bank

• Cruz88

Took a -4 for Vardy and Martial to Aguero and Traore. Understand that Vardy may be back soon but I wanted Aguero. Next move out probably Madds depending on Mane injury. Team G2G with the WC saved?

Henderson (Button)
              Trent VVD Lund Soy Kelly
              Mane KDB Maddison Grealish Traore
              Aguero Jimi Ings

• Make America Greta Again

Great and intelligent article. Instant gratification is my biggest downfall: once wildcarded to get rid of Joe Hart in a rage. Felt great, but my rank suffered afterwards. I've wasted a lot of transfers and some points getting rid of keepers. Need to learn to go with the flow.

1. Lateriser 12

Or just back off for a while

1. Make America Greta Again

Good advice, a lot can happen in a week.

2. GreennRed

If that's a rage transfer then beating the price change, days before deadline, with some of your players yet to play games and risk injury, suspension, might be an equivalent of submissive transfer? Could be my imagination but loads shipping players too soon just for a 0.1 or 0.2m swing. Very low chance a player will miss out, and admittedly kinda boring, but why lose a player and probably take a hit for savings. Especially now when there's decently priced option.

1. Make America Greta Again

I'm paying no heed to price changes. Happy enough to wait a week to take a - 4 to solve the Vardy situation if he's out.

• GreennRed

In Mane's possible absence, Origi, Minamino, AN Other to start?

1. Holmes

Probably combination of both

2. drughi

rival put in origi this week for some reason I didnt understand but makes sense now as mane got off injured so he will probably start and brace against west ham

3. Bushwhacker

It was very interesting that Klopp brought Minamino on ; baptism of fire is not something he does often. Will probably know tomorrow depending on who starts against Shrewsbury ; Klopp may play Origi as the experienced player.

4. drughi

Cant believe how wrong everything has gone this season for me. in 10 seasons playing this is without a doubt the worst. 14 gameweeks left I guess just need to ride it out and hope for a good run in to somewhat save it from being a total disaster. Fellow vardy and mane owners, keeping or selling ?

1. Holmes

Depends on Mane's fitness, would like to keep him for upcoming run.

Vardy is going out for atleast 3-4 weeks.

1. drughi

Yeah vardy has 3 tough fixtures so might be time to get rid

1. Whats the Huth

Oh right.
                      Just like it was time to get rid of Jiminez because of his tough fixtures

1. Whats the Huth

Keep Vardy!!

Sell mane if he’s out for than two GW
                        Son and the likes

2. drughi

true, got rid of jimenez after 2 blanks and tough fixtures coming up, made sense at the time lol

2. GreennRed

Wolves defence away might trouble him. Home to City and Chelsea defences nit tough for him though his form needs to improve. 9 days rest should help.

5. olidooley

One factor missing in how unlucky Mané TCers have been is how lucky Mané non-owners are.
                Massive ownership, best or close to best fpl player in the game and a DGW.
                They don’t have him and they get away Scot free!

1. in sane in de bruyne

I own him but didn't consider the armband for him for a second. He is not reliable for captaincy in my eyes.
                  He is having a great season but I think he is overrated.

1. YekiM

Messi and Hazard disagree

1. in sane in de bruyne

Okay lol

2. Bushwhacker

I simply had Salah from the start and struggle with the logic of doubling up. But flip side is I’ve suffered every Mane haul.

3. JohnRoss

Interesting article. I listened to zophar and Joe on meet the manager.

Quite a different style to lateriser but both with great track histories.

I've now realised I know everything and nothing.

Is your name Jon Snow?

1. JohnRoss

My sword feels pretty small right now 😉

4. wulfranian

Great advice.The best article of the season.cheers

Thanks Wulf

5. JT11fc

So my brother bought in Noble and Henderson for the DGW..... trying to catch me up he reckons..... hmmm

1. Holmes

I'll get Jorginho in their DGW 😎

1. JT11fc

I bet he will haha

2. Holmes

It just worked. Play the same game 10 times and they might not get anything again 😀

1. JT11fc

Ye crazy. If he capped Hendo id quit the game haha

6. Craigj28

WC active this is my team so far
                  Mccarthy button
                  TAA, gomez, lundstram, Stephens, williams
                  Salah, KDB, fleck, traore, dendocker
                  Aubameyang, Aguero, ings

Anything anyone would change?

1. JT11fc

Actually quite like it, id prefer double SU defence over double Saints but obviously moneys an issue

2. JohnRoss

Would have Jimi instead of one of aguero or auba and improve dend

3. GreennRed

Good team. Aubameyang and Fleck to Jimenez and Grealish.

4. Craigj28

I've changed Mccarthy for Henderson, Aubameyang to jiminez and dendocker to grealish

5. in sane in de bruyne

Don't like at all tbh. Too many big hitters making a weak midfield

7. drughi

Good read by the way, I guess my season ''starts'' now. At 330k atm I can forget about top 10k but have set new goals and my goal now is inside top 50k. Still gotta be patient I guess and just have a bit of hope that the bad spell for 24 gameweeks will turnaround for a good run for the last 14 gameweeks.

1. JT11fc

Same rank and same goals. Patience is the hardest thing i find

1. GreennRed

Screenhot your possible transfers on your phone, no matter how many combos. Then leave transfer til nearer deadline. Helped with my itchy transfer finger in some ways but I've no clue why!

1. JT11fc

Funny you should say that haha i have sooo many screen shots. It stops most reactionary maverick moves, for better or for worse

2. drughi

yeah you just wanna rip your whole team up but usually doesnt help much so just sit back and hope for the best and keep making calculated moves

2. GreennRed

14 GW to go, chips to be well used, could be badly used by those above you. People make silly moves the last few GWs. 10K more than achievable.

1. drughi

yeah still alot of work to be done but top 10k is now 96 points away, was 58 points away like 4-5 gw ago since then it has been a nighmare. Think the gap is too big now with the window getting smaller.

8. Jafalad

Mindfulness. Does wonders for my golf.

And does your Missus know you play poker? 😉

Of course. Good to see you here Jaf 🙂

9. Jawosaurus

Nice article, thanks for writing

Cheers

10. Champions united

Kun or auba
                  already have kdb

1. GreennRed

Kun.

2. Devo-McDuff

Probably Auba, more nailed and better fixtures. Plus cheaper.

11. K_UN_DE_BRU_YNE

Gomez good option on wildcard?
                  Or, rotation risk!!!

1. GreennRed

Good option.

12. JohnRoss

Funny, eventhough I have both mane and Vardy, I feel my biggest concern right now is soyuncu.

There's nothing I can do now about mane for the hammers game and even if he doesn't make Southampton there is a chance he will be back after the break.

13. GoonSquad

Funny, after TC Sane I decided I'd keep my YC til GW 38 when it's always a free for all...I remember benching Lukaku on West Brom vs. ManU years ago incorrectly and he got a hattie....unless a too good to be true GW came along, I had TC Salah on for a day or so and may still come to regret not doing it, but it's the call I made early on. We will see if I get to GW 38 or not.

14. Soto Ayam

Any people think that Perez is a good pick even if vardy is fit?

1. JohnRoss

Pretty good imo. Posting good numbers and even when he doesn't play 90 he's still more than capable of returning. Seems to be edging his way back. Good holding place for someone like sarr too

• barracuda

In fear, I moved Mane to Salah for free- had the exact cash. Bad move?

1. Eat my goal!

Perfectly fine move

1. barracuda

Thanks mate, just feared that if he went up last night, I would be stuck. Trying to avoid hits this season. Salah looked perfectly selfish himself again. He will do some damage in the next 8-10, no doubt about that,

2. g40steve

No bad moves in this game just a case of luck

3. in sane in de bruyne

Good

4. Dr.Oftaw

Tilt

• Jet5605

Good article. I have no regrets about TC'ing Mane. It was the right call on paper for me especially if Pool wrapped up the league before the next DGW. What added insult to injury (so to speak) was that my rival saved his TC chip and WC'd and most of his new players hauled, Hendo, Azpi, Son, Noble, Firmino.