Scout Reports

Can new Everton signing Allan improve the Toffees’ FPL clean sheet prospects?

Everton completed the signing of Allan (£5.5m) from Napoli a week before the start of the 2020/21 campaign, with the Brazilian putting pen to paper on a three-year deal.

The central midfielder will be reunited with Carlo Ancelotti, who coached him for 18 months in Serie A.

While the subsequent capture of James Rodriguez (£7.5m) has perhaps overshadowed it, Allan’s move to Merseyside is still worthy of note from a Fantasy perspective.

The 29-year-old Brazil international likely won’t attract much interest in Fantasy Premier League himself, it should be said: a total of 12 league goals in a career spanning more than a decade is a strong indicator on that front.

The ex-Napoli man only once registered more than five assists in a single season in his eight-year stay in Serie A, meanwhile.

But it’s his potential impact on other Fantasy assets from Everton that we’ll be examining here, a topic that is perhaps even more pertinent given that Ancelotti’s troops sit near the top of our Season Ticker until December: the Toffees face all three newly promoted clubs and five teams who finished tenth or below in the Premier League last season in the first 11 Gameweeks of the new campaign.

PLAYING STYLE

A combative, all-action central midfielder, Allan was a much-needed capture for Everton given their woes in the middle of the park in 2019/20.

The sale of Idrissa Gueye and long-term absence of Jean-Philippe Gbamin (£5.0m) left the Toffees desperately short of defensive shields last season and Ancelotti’s persistence with a 4-4-2 only added to the problems, with Gylfi Sigurdsson (£7.0m), Andre Gomes (£5.5m) and Tom Davies (£5.5m) all failing to convince when they were used in a two-man central midfield.

The immobile Sigurdsson especially isn’t suited to such a deep role in the middle of the park, while it’s no coincidence that Gomes’ form suffered without a Gueye-type anchor alongside him.

It soon became blindingly obvious that reinforcements would be needed in the engine room, especially if Ancelotti was to continue with his preferred formation.

He may not be exactly the same type of player as Gueye but Allan nevertheless fits the bill, with the player himself describing his playing style upon signing for the Toffees:

A strong part of my game is marking and the desire to go in to win absolutely every ball.

That is definitely a differential in my game and I believe with my desire I can put in really good performances to win over the fans.

I’ve been very competitive since I was a child; always wanted to win.

Everything we do in midfield and defence – winning a 50/50, winning a tackle or a one-on-one, clearing the ball – a lot of the time it’s like scoring a goal.

In the game, sometimes these things are very important.

At times it all seems so natural but a tackle, winning a one-on-one, clearing a ball; if it’s quite a tight game, we celebrate as if it’s a goal.

That’s about dedication and giving everything on the pitch.

Ancelotti said of his new recruit, meanwhile:

I think Allan is a fantastic player, he has fantastic energy and quality in midfield. I know him very well and he knows me.

Our supporters will love him because he plays with a lot of passion. He is a fantastic signing for us.

Tactically he is really good. Really strong defensively, he wins a lot of balls. He is aggressive and he is Brazilian, so he is able to do both – [contribute] with the ball and without the ball.

For sure, with Allan we are going to improve.

THE HISTORY

Born in Rio de Janeiro in January 1991, Allan’s senior career began in earnest with Vasco de Gama in his homeland.

After making 51 league appearances (without scoring) for the Brazilian outfit, Allan made the move to Udinese in July 2012.

Swiftly becoming a regular in Francisco Guidolin’s overachieving side, Allan spent three seasons with Il Bianconeri – helping them to a fifth-place finish in the first of them – before Napoli won the hotly contested race for his signature in July 2015.

His first three years in Naples were spent under Maurizio Sarri, with Allan very rarely used at the base of the midfield.

Rather, he was more commonly operating in the sort of role we saw N’Golo Kante (£5.0m) in during Sarri’s season-long stay at Stamford Bridge, playing to the side of a ball-playing ‘regista’ – namely Jorginho (£5.0m) – in a 4-3-3.

His attacking returns rose modestly as a result but, following Ancelotti’s appointment as Sarri’s successor in July 2018, the Brazilian was tasked with a more disciplined role in the central midfield two of a 4-4-2 – a system he may again be operating in on Merseyside.

Allan arrives in England off the back of his worst season in years.

A stop-start campaign that was littered with fitness issues ended badly, with Ancelotti sacked in December 2019, Allan falling out with new coach Gennaro Gattuso and losing his place, and Napoli slumping to their worst finish (seventh) in over a decade.

Allan in Serie A
SeasonStartsSub AppsGoalsAssists
2012/1333305
2013/1430303
2014/1533215
2015/1632335
2016/17191016
2017/1832645
2018/1928513
2019/2016721

Source: whoscored.com

Belatedly making his international debut in November 2018, Allan has been capped nine times by Brazil at the time of writing.

ALLAN V OTHER EVERTON MIDFIELDERS

Allan in Serie A
SeasonTackles won per 90 minsInterceptions per 90 minsClearances per 90 mins
2015/163.51.20.4
2016/173.91.40.8
2017/183.40.90.4
2018/193.61.30.9
2019/203.51.10.7

Source: whoscored.com

BEST PLAYERS BY POSITION:

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.

1. steven8991

ASM or JWP?

1. Leif Erikson-Formerly of La…

JWP or Armstrong.

1. steven8991

hmm better JWP or Armstrong?

1. Leif Erikson-Formerly of La…

Armstrong would be my pick.

2. Soto Ayam

ASM. Just

3. Lav

Depends on your forward line. If you have Ings/Adams I like ASM. If you have Wilson I like JWP/Armstrong.

4. Francescoli

I like Saka

2. Lav

I think I am ready for GW1, just some final questions now...

Ryan (Button)
    TAA Egan KWP Mitchell (Taylor)
    Auba Salah Son ASM (Gordon)
    Werner Ings (Brewster)

1. Stick with Egan or swap to Dier/Davies?
    2. Spend the extra 0.5m ITB on back up 4.5m GK?
    3. Stick with Son or swap for Alli, freeing up more cash?

1. steven8991

Davies
      Son

1. Lav

Thanks mate. 50/50 on Davies, but you are probably spot on with the rest.

2. Twisted Saltergater

I see what you mean now. I'd keep it as it is, perhaps Davies over Egan but that's a 50/50 call. Moving off Aubameyang and/or Salah later will give you more funds.

1. Lav

Yep, that is the goal. Agree Davies v Egan is a tough call and maybe a last minute switch, but I am okay to stay for now. I dont really know what my future plans are yet, but I imagine it is dropping Auba after the first two. I went all last season avoiding him and Arsenal in general (besides Martinez at the end) and I finished Top 10k - my best ever. Team will need to be massively restructured soon anyways, so for the short term before funds are freed I like most of this.

Thank you!

1. Twisted Saltergater

It's a great team, good luck!

The Ings > Martial move in GW2 is the only thing I feel I'm missing so I'll continue to tweak.

1. Lav

Cheers mate, good luck to you as well. Ill be browsing the comments all night as I do some uni work, so if I see a post by you I will be sure to respond.

Wish FFS had a way where you could follow users. Met some great ones over the years, but sometimes miss out on helping because we dont end up being on at the same time.

3. Tony Moon

Going for Alli would enable you to get a 6m forward instead of Brewster, which I think I'd prefer (if you have 0.5 itb).

1. Lav

I do have 0.5m ITB, and I did toy with Alli + Mitro, but I think Mitro is a serious trap. Other strikers do not appeal to me right now, maybe Wilson at 6.5m. The team will be restructured anyways once City and United assets have to come in some how.

4. Major League Shocker

Walton is Ryan's new backup, with Button having moved to WBA.

1. Lav

Yep, I am aware and I might make that change. Just saw somewhere that WBA are a bit worried and not convinced on Johnstone. While Button is nothing special he could potentially see time there if this is true. Regardless can always make the switch before the deadline.

5. spray

Son may evolve into your first choice captain, so keep over Alli.

Alli can always be in the team alongside Son... (funds permitting).

1. Lav

Valid point depending on how things shape out.

6. The Knights Template

Stick to your guns, Sir Lav, it is perfection!

1. Lav

After sleeping on it and not accepting the coronation from you initially, I think it is time for me to accept.

7. Alex1995

We already said our teams are similar, and they really are haha, looks very good

I’d stick with Egan, his fixtures rotate really nicely with KWP

Don’t spend extra on keepers (save the 0.5 to upgrade Ings to Martial)

Stick with Son (have a good feeling about him)

Good luck!

3. stxrty

McCarthy — Nyland
      TAA — Digne — Davies — Lascelles — £4m
      ASM — Mo — Auba — Son — Bissouma
      Mitro — Werner — £4.5m

Feel like 4-4-2 gives me the best flexibility. Money is there in moves on Digne, Son, Auba, etc if need be.

1. stxrty

£1.5m in bank.

1. Soto Ayam

I'd try to upgrade nitro. You'll soon tired of a long series of 2,2,2,6,2,2,2,2 points

1. stxrty

I'll see how he pans out, fixtures are nice so wait and see.

I'm curious how DCL will get on.

Son > Rushford
                Mitro > DCL

An example of a sort move I could make (if I'm looking for a United asset)

1. stxrty

Rashford*

2. Lav

Mitro is a worry for me, I think he is a trap. Otherwise I quite like the side, and going 442 - which is what I am playing myself.

1. stxrty

Who would you rather then Mitro in my side then fella

1. Lav

Well depends on how much money you want to save. If you want to keep it 6m go with Adams like others are doing. DCL is a shout too.

1. stxrty

Yeah, Adams is another I was considering. My only issue is struggling to bring in a United asset if needed if I went DCL, especially Bruno.

1. Lav

That is fair. I think if that is your worry and you want to stick with a 6m forward go with Adams. I dont prefer either personally, but if I had to choose it would be Adams, especially with no SOU mid in your side.

1. stxrty

What is it about Mitro that you think is a trap btw?

1. Lav

Ownership + fixture appeal, past experiences. He will get his share of goals but it will be at random times.

• steven8991

Doubling up on LIV and TOT def, RMT please

McCarthy
                  TAA Robbo Davies Dier (Mitchell)
                  Mane Auba Son Armstrong (Bissouma)
                  Werner Mitrovic (Davis)
                  0ITB

1. Lav

You are finished if they do not keep a clean sheet or get an attacking return. Mitro is a trap. Mane over Salah could prove to be good. Otherwise no issues.

2. panda07

A few punts but I like it. It could really pay off.

• Alex1995

A) Ings, Brewster
                  B) C Wilson, Adams (0.5 ITB)

I’m leaning towards B but Ings would be a better placeholder for Martial, who I’d love to get in for GW 2 & 3... Also not sure on ASM and C Wilson double up

Rest of the team is:
                  McCarthy (Steer)
                  TAA Davies Egan KWP (Mitchell)
                  Salah Auba Son ASM (Bissouma)
                  Werner *** ***

1. Lav

I am on A, and with that we pretty much have the exact same side. Just one of your 5.0m defenders is Taylor for me.

1. Alex1995

I’m also on A at the min, B is more punty...

It’s not really about having Ings for me, it’s more about how he can become Martial (would be tempted to take a hit to do Salah/Ings to Bruno/Martial for GW2)

Who’s your 5.0 defender out of interest?

1. Lav

Egan currently. Might switch to Davies I am 50/50 right now.

1. Alex1995

It’s really a toss up between:

A) Davies, Adams, C Wilson
                          B) Taylor, Ings, Brewster

I’m leaning towards A now haha

2. Bushwhacker

B. Brewster's not going anywhere.

1. Alex1995

Even when Ings becomes Martial in GW2? If I go with Adams and C Wilson then it makes it a hell of a lot more difficult to get Martial in if he hits form (or any other premium forwards for that matter), although I agree it would be nice to have 3 playing forwards

• COK3Y5MURF

Meh, why was Mark not on the Scoutcast? Thought I'd actually watch it.

• Cheeto__Bandito

A) Son, DCL, Wilson
                    B) Alli, Havertz, Adams

Best option?

1. Lav

Wow tough, but probably A for me. I would potentially want Havertz at some point though.

2. panda07

A short term but B long term

1. Cheeto__Bandito

A could be more flexible tho for price points

2. Ini

3. Alex1995

1) Best 4.5 defender? Have KWP already

1. Lav

Charlie Taylor and bench.

4. panda07

I'm trying to go for a fairly nailed team with a playing bench due to COVID risk. Also planning an early WC. What do you think?

McCarthy
                      TAA Robbo Vinagre
                      (S)alah Auba ASM Soucek
                      Ings Richarlison Jimenez

Steer Mitchell Stephens C.Taylor

Will move Soucek and Vinagre out if it looks like they won't play

1. The Units

Looks good and you already know who is a doubt.

2. Pepereina Pizza

"I'm trying to go for a fairly nailed team with a playing bench due to COVID risk."

Unpopular!

Outrageous!

and brilliant. nice team.

5. The Units

Best 7.0 mid?

Trying to get a team without Salah and bolstering other mids and fwd.

Already have: Havertz – Aubamayang – Bruno – ?? - Bissouma

1. DeltaKilo

7.0 is a tough one to be honest. Not much

2. panda07

Do you think havertz will start for GW1?

There's not many decent mids between 5.5 and 8. Maybe a Leicester mid or JWP. Greenwood is the best option in that price range but not sure if you'd want to bench him and Bruno.

1. The Units

If Havertz looks like not starting will swap out for Alli.

How about van de beek? Not that I can find him in the game. Or just stick with a 5.0/5.5 mid?

1. panda07

You need to go to page 2 of United players to find van de Beek. There are doubts over him starting too though.

1. The Units

Thanks

3. Pepereina Pizza

have a look at Harvey Barnes at that price.

Good numbers and great fixtures.

1. The Units

Thanks

6. DeltaKilo

Another quick one

A) DCL Saiss Son
                      B) Ings KWP Alli (0.5 for Martial in GW2)

Cheers

1. The Units

B for me. Martial will be great.

7. steven8991

G2G?
                      McCarthy
                      TAA Davies Egan (C.Taylor, Mitchell)
                      Mane Auba Son JWP ASM
                      Werner DCL (Davis)

8. owenread

thoughts?

McCarthy
                      Doherty, Davies, TAA, KWP
                      Salah, Auba, ASM
                      Kane, Werner, Mitro

Subs: Nyland, Mitchell, bissouma, anguissa

9. fcsaltyballs

What tweaks are needed here, 1.0 itb ?

McCarthy Button
                      TAA Vinagre KWP Justin Mitchell
                      Salah Aubameyang Son ASM Bissouma
                      Werner Ings Brewster

Thanks

1. Wag the Drog

Vinagre to Dier

10. Atletico Junior

West-Ham scored 24 goals last season from Corners + Set-Plays... Hope Soucek can get some of them this year!

11. steven8991

A. Soucek, Bissouma, Kane, Mitrovic
                      B. Son, ASM, DCL, Keinan Davis

1. DeltaKilo

12. Wag the Drog

A) Adams, Auba
                      B) Ings, Havertz

Have Werner already

1. Atletico Junior

Short Term: A
                        Long Term: B

13. steven8991

A. Davies or Dier ?
                      B. Doubling up Davies & Dier
                      C. Who is the best 5.0m def beside Davies & Dier? Egan or any other?

14. De Gea is GOAT

Is Ampadu a nailed guys? Thank you

1. lugs

not yet, but he's one to keep an eye on for sure

15. Disturbed

Better option?

A. Kane jwp
                      B. Ings Alli

1. DeltaKilo

2. steven8991

16. DeltaKilo

What’s our thoughts on Saka v Armstrong?

1. leo_messi

I prefer Saka

17. The Suspended One

Damn character limits ....

I Kante Kepa Havertz Mount Giroud Cheek Odoi.

18. nerd_is_the_werd

Vardy anyone?

19. davies

What to do with Soucek if he’s ruled out of GW1?

1. steven8991

don't bring him into your squad.
                        you can have him later when using WC

20. jaredwilliams

a) Egan + Son

b) Robertson (have TAA already) + James Rodriguez

Thanks 🙂

21. steven8991

1. Davies or Dier guys?
                      2. What is the best 4.5m def option beside KWP and Burnley def?

McCarthy
                      TAA Davies* Egan KWP*
                      Mane Auba Son ASM
                      Werner Ings
                      (Steer, Mitchell, Bissouma, Brewster)

1. Pilgrim62

1 pretty much equally. Personally prefer Davies

22. Ninjaa

Made 3 changes, Dallas Soucek Mitrovic > Egan Pereira Brewster.
                      Thoughts????

McCarthy Nyland
                      TAA Egan Vinagre Taylor Mitchell
                      Salah Aubameyang Son Pereira Stevens
                      Werner Ings Brewster....

1. jaguar shark

I think the 4.5 striker is a trap. Is Brewster gonna get loaned out??

2. Saint & Reevesy

I think Harrison Reed is the best 4.5mid.
                        Will Vinagre play?
                        Not sure about Pereira - whats your thinking here?

23. jamesjoseph2770

1) Will Doherty start GW1?
                      2) Chances of Willian starting?

1. jaguar shark

1. Yes
                        2. Dunno

2. lugs

yes for Doherty, Willian is more Tricky because Arsenal are stacked in the wing positions, but i wouldn't be surprised if they changed formation to fit him in to play as a number 10 in a 4231 or a Pep style 433

1. jamesjoseph2770

Thanks guys..

24. Bruno Commando

Been thinking about this the entire week. Help me out!

1) Armstrong + DCL + 1.5 to transfer Son to Bruno in GW2
                      2) ASM + Bruno

McCarthy // Nyland
                      TAA Davies Egan Mitchell // CTaylor
                      Mane Auba Son ______ // Bissouma
                      Werner _______ // Davis

1. jaguar shark

Who is the striker in 2?

1. Bruno Commando

Sorry my bad, supposed to be ASM + Ings for option 2!

25. Saint & Reevesy

Thoughts on this lot.....

McCarthy