Champions League

The best players to sign and captain for UCL Fantasy Matchday Four

UEFA Champions League Fantasy managers come into the next round of action with the same problem as their Fantasy Premier League counterparts: a vast array of injury flags.

Matchday Four of the compacted European schedule is upon us and, with a few weeks out of action, we are here to get you back into the UCL Fantasy mood in time for Tuesday and Wednesday’s matches.

Captains Sensible

All things being equal, there could be some big scores this Matchday. Plenty of top teams are at home to minnows, leaving us with a wealth of captaincy options to choose from.

Tuesday November 24

Sensible

The best players to sign and captain for UCL Fantasy Matchday Three

It is not often there are two picks which are this good on a single Matchday and I really could not choose a winner. Cristiano Ronaldo (€12.0m), of course, needs no introduction. He scored twice in Juventus‘ 2-0 win over Cagliari on Saturday and is perfectly placed to do the same against Hungarian outfit Ferencvaros. Although Ronaldo only came away with an assist in the 4-1 win in Hungary, he will be ready to make sure he is not kept off the scoresheet again.

Newly-crowned Golden Boy Erling Haaland (€11.0m) has scored four goals in his first three Champions League games this season, netted four goals on at Berlin on Saturday, and faces the weakest team in Borussia Dortmund’s group at home tonight. One goal in Matchday Two, two goals in Matchday Three – will Haaland finally be taking a Champions League matchball to bed in Matchday Four?

Differential

Ciro Immobile (€10.5m) is finally back fit and firing for Lazio. Last season’s Serie A Golden Boot winner scored at the weekend, takes penalties and looks ready to help Lazio secure their place in the second round. They host Zenit, who have only kept one European clean sheet this season and have been thoroughly lacklustre throughout.

Wednesday November 25

Sensible

Again, there is an array of strong captaincy options on Wednesday, but following my tried and tested FPL mantra of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, I’ll stick with Robert Lewandowski (€12.0m). Do I really need to explain more than it’s the home fixture in a game where they won 6-2 three weeks ago and the Bayern Munich man scored a brace?

Differential

João, João, João (I’ll see myself out), this guy has looked great recently. João Félix (€9m) has become the lynchpin in Atletico’s great recent form, and has scored braces in three of his last five games. He seems to be on penalties and Atletico will know that they need to win here to put themselves in a strong position to qualify.

Who to bring in?

With three games against different teams remaining, this is an interesting time for transfers. As odd as it sounds, this is not the time to bring in players from the teams running away with their groups.

Wins this week will see Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, Sevilla, Liverpool, Manchester City and Bayern confirm their places in the next round and allow the resting and rotation of players in the final two Matchdays to cope with compacted festive schedules.

I would look at good teams with lots to play for still. Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and PSG all spring to mind as teams which need some big wins and big performances to see them through to the knockout stages.

Who to avoid?

Unfortunately, this is an easier section than normal to write. I will just keep it to players that are likely to be in some reader’s squads.

Barcelona have travelled to Kiev without Lionel Messi (€12.1m), Fati (€8.3m), Sergi Roberto (€5.6m) and Gerard Pique (€5.4m).

Juventus have just one recognised centre-back fit after injuries to Merih Demiral (€5.0m), Leonardo Bonucci (€5.5m) and Giorgio Chiellini (€5.4m).

Sevilla have Jesús Navas (€5.6m) suspended, Bono (€5.1m) out injured and Marcos Acuna (€5.1m) a doubt after he was hauled off injured at the weekend.

Bayern Munich have Joshua Kimmich (€6.6m) out for the group stages and Lucas Hernandez (€5.0m) is also a doubt.

Any FPL fans will be fully aware of Liverpool’s injury woes across the board, but they’re hopeful that Mohamed Salah (€11.5m) will be ready to play Atalanta.

Last Matchday’s top scorer Alassane Plea (€8.0m) is out, and Ramy Bensebaini (€5.5m) has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).

Sergio Ramos (€6.5m) and Karim Benzema (€10.5m) have also been confirmed out of Real’s trip to Inter, although Casemiro (€6.2m) is fit. Antony (€5.9m) is a doubt for Ajax.

As always, good luck to everyone in the next round of UEFA Champions League Fantasy.

Head over to the latest UCL Fantasy Community Article to check out our Panel’s thoughts and for the dedicated Champions League Fantasy comments section.

Lessons Learned from FPL Gameweek 9

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.

1. GreennRed

Fairly up-to-date and handy yoke.

2. Steve The Spud

Really hope Chelsea lose tonight because I’m just a horrible person like that

3. waltzingmatildas

A) r james and Kane to cancelo and vardy
    B) grealish and Kane to kdb and vardy
    C) bissouma and Kane to kdb and Watkins/antonio

1. GreennRed

3x no.

1. waltzingmatildas

Ooof OK!
        Hold ?
        Mccarthy button
        Chilwell James ayling Taylor mitchell
        Mané Bruno grealish soucek bissouma
        DCL Kane Bamford

1. GreennRed

I don't think selling Kane is a good plan while he's in great form. Same with Grealish. Have you much money in the bank to upgrade Soucek?

1. waltzingmatildas

Would have 8.3 to replace him. Or 7.9 to upgrade bissouma

1. waltzingmatildas

Jota / torres?

2. GreennRed

Bissouma's price is nice fodder. Soucek to Ziyech. Will be 3 Chelsea but they're a team in form.

1. waltzingmatildas

Hmm interesting. Thank you for the input

2. Corgzzzz

good grief big NO to all three options

4. wulfranian

What a talent what a player.Such a shame he has retired from football.For me he was one of the best forwards.

5. Lovren an elevator

Bottomed...

Any Leicester fans wanna give me some insight on the likely long term formation and starting line up. Eg when Castagne and Pereira are back and whether Maddison and Barnes are likely to be nailed too

6. Boly Would

Martinez / Steer
    Chilwell / RJames / Coufal / (Lamptey Mitchell)
    Salah / Son / Jota / Foden (Klich)
    Kane / Werner / DCL

1FT / 0.5 itb
    Too much rotation risk in midfield?

7. Nunoooooooooo

Is this worth a -8?

Robertson - Son - Foden ➡️ James - KDB - Jota

1. waltzingmatildas

Not for me

2. Spartac Mac

Looks pretty sideways to me.

Prefer the second 3, but not for -8.

3. Ajax Hamsterdam

PVA, Chilwell, Lamptey
    Son, Salah, Fernandes, Grealish
    Wilson, Bamford, Jiménez

Button, Burke, Mitchell, Dunne
    1 free transfer, 3.1 million in the bank

1. GreennRed

Dunne to a 4.5m range defender. Need a playing 4th defender.

1. fc_skrald

Yes, thanks. Only just got rid of TAA last gw so getting Robertson now might not be a good idea but I am very tempted. Will have a few days to think about it...

9. JJeyy

“We didn’t want to go out and broadcast it to the world because we were hoping that a second test might have allowed him to play.
    - Hodgson on Zaha yesterday.

If he had a chance for Burnley, he should be back for Newcastle if he returns negative this week.

1. Hazz

*could, not 'should'. You're making a guess purely on timelines.

However, that is good context. Saw a lot of people thinking he'd definitely be out next match, which you just don't know if it is the case.

2. Mile Plankton

If the second test didn't allow him to play on Monday, I reckon he was positive.
      So, if he was positive on Monday, I don't think he can play 4 days later.

3. Mile Plankton

I reckon they were hoping that the first test was false positive, in that case, if the second test was negative, he would have been able to play agains Burnley.

10. DIMITRIS

This is the worst FPL season since I can remember. Literally 99% luck and 1% skill so far. 9 GW's have passed and City players showed ZERO value, Liverpool defence rubbish as hell, Patrick F..... Bamford turns into Batistuta all of a sudden, and bunch load of casuals who have used at least 2 of their chips ar occupying top 10k. I don't know what to expect next, maybe 20 goals from Benteke or something like that. Nothing makes sense, and I guess that we should all play casually...
    Sorry for the tirade, but I just felt the need to say what's on my mind.

1. Bobby Digital

Hear hear

2. Hotdogs for Tea

need to react quicker fella 😉

1. DIMITRIS

That's true

3. Scholes Out Forever

the mentality that you're somehow better than "casuals" is pretty toxic. Just because you spend more time on FPL than other people or that you're on a forum with experts doesnt mean you are making better decisions than someone who doesnt.

You can blame luck all you want, but you're the one making the decisions. You wont get anywhere with the attitude that youre not where you want to be because of luck. Just be patient, the cream rises to the top.

1. DIMITRIS

I completly agree with you, but sometimes I look at my team and I'm like "Whatever I do, I'll make a mistake". It is toxic to think like that, I know ,bud its frustrating to see Sterling C blanking consequently against "smaller" teams while a dude in my ML triple-captaind Bamfor against Villa. Cherry on the top - I had Grealish and Martinez and in that game and Grealish missed a sitter just before Villa conceded first goal. I wanted to smash the telly...
        I hope better GW's are ahed.
        Cheers.

1. Scholes Out Forever

stop looking back. look forward. How can you change what happened in GW 5? Just because you made a bad transfer last week doesnt mean you will make it again...

1. DIMITRIS

I know I can't, but I just felt frustrated when I saw how the things went down. Thank's for a meaningfull suggestion and sorry for the tirade.
            Wish you at least top 10K at the end.
            Cheers 🙂

4. claretparrot

Blimey.

I haven't played any chips, have had at least one 'pool defender throughout and have never owned Bamford. However I must still be very casual because it's going ok so far.

1. claretparrot

To make you feel a bit better, I was around 2mil this time last season and ended up with my best finish to date. Plenty of time

1. ElliotJHP

Cracking start mate, nice one!

1. claretparrot

Thanks! GL

2. DIMITRIS

I don't say that's impossible, it's just that I have seen so many cheesy fpl points this seson that I don't remember season like this.
        Props to you for a decent start 🙂

1. claretparrot

I get the frustration. Not that you asked, but my advice would be to consider when Bamford scoring, for example, isn't jammy any more and is predictable based on the stats.
          Same applies with backing City - if you ignore past seasons, have they given us a good reason to pile in yet?

5. Doctor Evil

I’m having a great season personally

1. Garlana

Casual 😉

1. Doctor Evil

Lol

2. GreennRed

Not your team looks very like mine...

1. Doctor Evil

It does, a few tweaks and your team could be as good as mine 😉

1. GreennRed

If you linked it I could compare.

11. FPL Kaka

Is Jamal Lewis still nailed when Ritchie is fit?

1. GreennRed

Dunno but I think there are better options for a similar priced defender that's not with Newcastle.

West Ham, Southampton, Burnley, Palace.

12. HARLEY

McCarthy
    Chilwell Bellerin KWP
    Bruno Son Zaha* Grealish
    Kane DCL Wilson*
    (Steer Lamptey Kilman Bissouma)
    2 FT 4.4 ITB

Help me pick one:

a) Zaha -> KDB
    b) Zaha Wilson -> Jota Vardy

13. Sean

Posting this here to keep track of my thoughts for later in the week but input welcome, feels like we're at the first big crossroads in the season;

Had been planning to do Son to De Bruyne this week, then Robbo to Cancelo next GW followed by Fernandes to Salah for the Fulham game. Obviously the 3 players being transferred out looking so good this GW makes it a tougher sell. Other directions I can go include keeping Son and doing Robbo to Cancelo and Ziyech to De Bruyne, however I do want a piece of the Chelsea attack and Ziyech looks the most reliable option to me and also this gives no clear route to Salah, could solve this by instead doing something like Kane and Soucek to Watkins and De Bruyne this week for a -4 which leaves Robbo and Fernandes to Cancelo and Salah route open. Can see the appeal of keeping Son with the counter attacking angle but he is taking up a valuable premium mid spot and can only see Spurs sitting deep against Chelsea and Liverpool, think Kane is preferable in the other fixtures. Could also do a simple Kane to Vardy this week for the Fulham fixture but doesn't get me any closer to Salah/City assets so feels a tad sideways.

And breathe...

1. Scholes Out Forever

I think it has to be Kane out and Son in. Kane and Mourinho has both said that he is the creative player dropping back. If he scores big, it'll be because of penalties and I dont think Spurs will be in the opponent's box too often for that to happen on a regualr basis. Son will probably blank but if he scores he will score big.

With Kane out, you can switch to a Bamford or a Brewster and get a big boy for your 5th mid

1. Sean

Yeah this is a very valid option, have never Gone without a premium forward before but with Wilson/Watkins/DCL/Bamford it seems easier, plenty of time to mull it over

1. Scholes Out Forever

I have Werner and I think he's a sneaky good pick. I captained him last week and he couldve had a brace if he just finished better. But there are a lot of main strikers at decent mid level teams, like Watkins, DCL, Bamford, Ings etc

352 definitely viable

1. Sean

case for Werner has been solidified for sure now that he’s shown he can slot in on left and penalties, think with the abundance of options at low prices you don’t even necessarily need to sacrifice the third forward, and bench the one with the worst fixtures, especially given how expendable the majority of expensive defenders are at the moment, we’re leaning into squad building preferences then though and I have a big enough headache as it is!

2. F_Ivanovic

Have the exact same plan. Going to wait till the last minute to make my decision. Half tempted to punt for Sterling instead of De Bruyne but that's probably silly.

1. Sean

Have always favoured KDB myself but I could understand the punt especially if the 0.1 diff is valuable, not like either have form anyway

14. Noah’s Ark

3. Chrisitis

A) Kilman
      B) Ayling

1. GreennRed

A.

4. FPL_WILDCARD

On 2 FT, is this worth a -8?

Kane, Rashford, Zaha, Bellerin out ---> Vardy, Sterling, Jota, Dallas in?

(Already have Salah and Son)

1. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

yolo

5. HARLEY

A quick one:

a) Zaha -> KDB
      b) Zaha Wilson -> Jota Vardy

McCarthy
      Chilwell Bellerin KWP
      Bruno Son Zaha* Grealish
      Kane DCL Wilson*
      (Steer Lamptey Kilman Bissouma)
      2 FT 4.4 ITB

6. Rhodes your boat

Best lamptey replacement?

A) holding
      B) dann
      C) kwp/bednarek
      D) Dallas/ayling

Rest of defence is chilwell balbuena Mitchell dunne so weak!

1. GreennRed

Vestergaard. Replace Dunne, you need a playing 4th defender.

1. Rhodes your boat

Cash itb is an issue but yes I definitely need to!

2. Rhodes your boat

Can’t afford vestergaard if I want salah back

2. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

lol, im looking at better options tbh

1. Rhodes your boat

Just a little, wanting to get salah back so budget an issue

7. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

Lamptey to Cancelo/dias worth a hit?

rest of defence is Robbo, Zouma, Kilman and Mitchell.

1. Holmes

Can you upgrade Kilman/Mitchell instead of Lamptey?

8. Noah’s Ark

Keira injury update? Is Neco Williams a decent fodder option?

1. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

won't play much imo, default will be milner at right back. Henderon and Thiago nearing returns in midfield

2. Mile Plankton

No better option at 3.9.
        But don't expect him to be regular.

1. GreennRed

Exactly. Expect him to never get gametime but use the cash, that he frees up, wisely.

3. Noah’s Ark

Cheers fellas

4. Holmes

Go for Douglas and save 0.1

9. HARLEY

Is Zaha to KDB worth?

Rest of mid is Bruno Son Grealish Bissouma.

1. Holmes

Yep, easy move

1. HARLEY

Or get rid Wilson Zaha to get Vardy Jota?

10. Hazz

Werner 😆

11. FPL_WILDCARD

Would this team be in good nick for GW10?

McCarthy
      Chilwell, Coufal, Justin
      Salah, Son, Ziyech, Sterling, Jota
      Vardy, Bamford

Subs: Kilman, Dallas, Davis

12. jimmy12

KDB
      Bruno

Any other mids / or defenders in Pens?

1. Scholes Out Forever