Pro Pundit Teams

Understanding the difference between bad FPL decisions and bad outcomes

My years playing Fantasy Premier League has taught me a very important lesson: there is a distinction between a bad decision and a bad outcome.

Understanding how to tell the difference between these two concepts is key to FPL success, especially when it comes to your own personal morale and decision-making process for the next Gameweek.

Gameweek 9 gave us a great example. I have been travelling a fair bit on weekends so, recently, I can only catch three or four live games a weekend and the rest is all highlights. This Saturday was a different case. The house was empty, the television remote was exclusively mine, I was all set to watch eight hours of football and I had eight players playing on Saturday, including my captain. The excitement and anticipation was real.

The armband was on Timo Werner (£9.5m) and emotions ran high as I watched him behave like a world class points dodger. For me, it is much easier to accept a poor decision than a poor outcome and this was definitely the latter. It is even more difficult when you’re struggling at an overall rank of three million and you need these good calls to come through.

But that is part and parcel of the game we play and once you’ve had your ‘tilt’ on the day, the brain functions more reasonably the next, at least for me. You have to ‘trust the process’ and take respite from the decisions you make are good or bad and not look at the outcome. Werner was a good captaincy call based on what we saw and I also bet against clean sheet odds and started Luke Ayling (£4.5m) ahead of Matt Targett (£4.5m).

Being where I am at the moment, and scoring a meagre 46 points in Gameweek 9, this is what I can take solace in and hope that the outcome matches the decision-making sooner rather than later. There is consolation in the fact that this was a ‘could have’ week and it’s not just a case of Werner being on the wrong side of variance.

There were a lot of players that should have done a lot better than they did in Gameweek and the one I would like to talk about is Patrick Bamford (£6.1m). Leeds United had 52% possession at Liverpool, 53% possession against Manchester City and 67% possession versus Arsenal. They also had a staggering 25 shots on Sunday evening.

In fact, Marcelo Bielsa’s men are top of the league for shots and shots in the box over the last six Gameweeks and that is all you need to know really to make the case for Bamford. I’m convinced he’s one of the best set-and-forget options in the Premier League at the moment because when it comes to Leeds United, fixtures don’t really matter.

There was a great article on the Athletic about Bamford which you should definitely read. What impresses is his mentality. Bielsa’s undeterred faith in Bamford is quite heart-warming to read about if I’m honest (I wish someone backed me the way Bielsa backs Bamford) and it has gone a long way in making him the player he is today.  What really stood out to me is Bamford setting himself a target for 25 goals for the season. Whether he achieves that or not remains to be seen but that stats and the eye-test show he is really gunning for it.

My fellow Pro-Pundit Tom Freeman made a great point about Bamford on our podcast The FPL Wire which has stuck with me. He mentioned that Leeds were like Manchester City in the Championship where defences gave them a lot more respect due to which Bamford had a lot less space than he’s afforded in the Premier League and that does ring true.

Neale mentioned on this week’s episode of The FPL Wire that his goal conversion rate is at approximately 20% right now which doesn’t seem very unsustainable to me and if Leeds United continues to keep playing this brand of football, I don’t see Bamford’s output changing. I’m likely going in on him this Gameweek and I’m very excited about the prospect.

A lot of questions came in for the Manchester City assets and whether you should get them in. Yes they haven’t look convincing so far but given that their next four home fixtures read Burnley, Fulham, West Bromwich Albion and Newcastle, you have to roll the dice in my opinion.

I’m not someone who sits on the fence with my opinions. FPL isn’t a game about who has scored points in the past. It is a game about predicting who is going to score points in the future and in my opinion, when that fixture run shows up for a team that has scored the most number of goals in the league for the past three years, you have to roll the dice and go for it.

Which premium midfielder you pick is up to you but I would definitely get at least one in there for the run and then maybe double if they show signs of form. You have to place your faith in the quality of the manager and the players and hope that their woes (which were compounded by not having a proper pre-season or a fit striker) are behind them.  Historically fixtures have always won and this set of fixtures is too good to not take a shot at it.

Uefa Champtions League Fantasy Panel - Matchday 4

While we’re not sitting on the fence, let’s talk about Diogo Jota (£6.6m). Yes we can’t for sure say if he’s nailed-on to start but his numbers are comparable to his premium Liverpool midfield counterparts. The upside is more than the downside for me especially given the price. Historically, we have seen that he’s a very streaky player and he’s on a hot run at the moment. Get in while he’s hot would be my advice. Even if he doesn’t start, I reckon he’s Jurgen Klopp’s first attacking sub and I would expect him to play at least twenty to thirty minutes every game. If it doesn’t work, you’re only paying a small amount and the game that we play does allow us to transfer players out.

While we’re talking about Klopp, one thing on my mind is that I need to get Mohamed Salah (£12.2m) as soon as possible. Liverpool seem like the most trustworthy attack in the league at the moment and they have a great run of fixtures right until mid-January. Klopp is very much aware of the patched defence he has but is not compromising playing a more defensive approach (something I thought might have happened). Instead, he’s sticking to the team’s identity and going for goals.

I’ve gone freestyle with this article and quite enjoyed writing it. Looking forward to your feedback in the comments section and on Twitter as usual. I’m really hoping to see you on the other side with a warm and fuzzy green arrow to talk about. You know, process and everything. Unless a certain Sergio seduces me (it does feel like its too early but I’m writing on a Wednesday afternoon before their Champions League game).

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.

How do we feel about Alex Telles?

I'm thinking of picking him up after GW12. I have too many urgent transfers for now but he's very much an option.

1. Rupert The Horse

Think he’ll be a very good option soon.

2. TheBrat

Totally agree, one to watch

3. NateDogsCats

On some setpieces, good passer / crosser from open play and likes to take a shot on, definitely an option. I was considering him this week but left it due to immediate fixtures but definitely keeping an eye on him

• Catastrophe

Could be a really exciting option, especially if Cavani gets some more gametime.

• DK_13

Won't Shaw be a problem as he was out for around a month or so?( I don't follow United so no idea personally)

• MikeBravo

Got him last week for 6 points, better than what my double Liverpool defence had been getting me. Even though Robbo got 12 (sod's law), I don't regret ditching him and TAA.
        Telles has got the threat, for less money. That'll do for me. Enabled upgrades everywhere else on WC.

4. FPL_Motty

Some personal opinions on Kane vs. Vardy:

Kane has been Mr.Consistent but theres no denying the upcoming run is tough. Theres an argument that spurs play better against teams who attack but I don't think this is going to be the case coming up. Chelsea when they played Utd actually played very defensively, and won't want to risk Thiago Silva vs. Son. They also have Kante back in the DM role doing great. Then you have Arsenal, who are just awful at attacking currently, and good at defending, that will be a tight game. And then crystal palace, they won't be overrunning spurs.

Then you have the individual records, Kane has a relatively poor record against chelsea, fantastic record against Arsenal and Palace. However Kane has never scored or assisted for more than 1 return in a game ever against Arsenal or Palace, showing he has a good chance of involvement but not a big haul.

Vardy on the other hand. Has fantastic records against upcoming teams. Albiet he only played fulham once before, but scored 2 goals and 1 assist. Sheff utd have tightened up but even last year he scored 2 and 1 assist against them. And against brighton, played 6, scored 4 and 1 assist. Everton.. played 10, scored 6 and 4 assists.. So those stats are great, Vardy is definitely a flat-track bully, and I'm going all aboard the Vardy Party Train because I just think theres huge upside compared to Kane

1. Mr Wolf

I am with you 😉

2. The Sociologist

With my rank somewhere around 2.5mil, I’ve got to start taking some risks and jumping on picks before they come good ahead of the crowd. Hoping that Kane > Vardy is a risk worth taking.

1. Andy'81

This game ain't about risk taking it's about consistency, Kane -> Vardy just looks like chasing points which rarely ends well. keep the transfers simple and the {C} pick on the most obvious routinely, you don't have to reinvent the wheel to turn your season around.

1. FPL_Motty

Not sure how you mean Kane > Vardy is chasing points, wouldnt it be the other way around? Since Kane has scored more points than Vardy recently.

I don't agree.

Vardy's underlying stats are surprisingly strong over the last 3. 2.4 NP/xG is the 3rd best in the league. He has amazing fixtures coming up and is coming hot.

This reminds me of last year. He blanked against Liverpool, and then started a run which read BUR sou. We all know what happened vs Southampton...

1. Andy'81

We don't have to agree but I don't see Kane to Vardy being this massive rank changing move which is the essence of my point, we'll always argue over certain players.

Fair enough.

But I think it's worth it over the next 4 weeks.

FUL shu BHA EVE vs che ARS cry liv

The fixtures are so much better for Vardy. Doesn't help that my team this week is looking awful with double Chelsea defense + Son + Kane. There's no way that those guys can all score good points.

1. Andy'81

If it were me I'd take this opportunity to upgrade Mitchell as his game time looks done at Palace and just take the Chelsea'Spuds double up game on the chin {Maybe even bench a Chelsea defender}. Not the season to have 3 of your 4 subs as non players especially with 1.6 in the bank.

2. Christina.

Well if Vardy outscores Kane in say next 3 by say 15 pts then the rank swing should be decent considering Kane is heavily owned compared to Vardy, especially in top 10k. Not to mention if you (c) Vardy and he outscores the alternatives eg City/Salah etc

1. Andy'81

I can't see Vardy outscoring Kane by that many though given just to how consistent Kane's returned so far this year.

1. Christina.

Things is you prob wont (c) Kane this week, so if Vardy outscores the alternatives, its massive.

3. The Sociologist

I get your point - in objective terms it just seems silly to be transferring out the highest scoring player in the game, who’s without a blank since GW1. Was half expecting some helpful “do you hate points” comments. I guess it’s about predicting when to jump on a player for a good run, and banking that they’ll do better over a period. I wouldn’t captain Kane in any fixtures bar perhaps Palace, whereas Vardy would definitely get more of a look in. And as you say, hoping to keep the (C) picks simple over this period. Surely Vardy against Fulham seems a sensible pick?

1. The Sociologist

Reply fail to Andy81 above...

3. Salan

Kane > Vardy is chasing points?? What are you talking about...

Anyone here understands?

3. waltzingmatildas

I think I am too. No doubt Kane is a decent option, I just think vardy might be better.

4. Maddamotha

My thoughts too, which I posted a few pages back.
        In all likelihood I'm doing Kane > Vardy.

5. Karan14

Oh god please don't convince too many people to get him!!

Let me have a differential please 😛

1. Salan

You are right.

6. Magic Zico

How many points are the difference we are talking about here across 2-3 GWs? Even if switching to Vardy will end up with less points it's probably not going to be so great difference. The reward on the other hand could be massive ... so low-ish risk and potentially high reward?

1. The Sociologist

Looking at Everton’s defence it’d definitely be for 4x fixtures at least in terms of holding Vardy. Then it gives me the option of going back to Kane, or maybe even Werner.

7. Baines on Toast...

My issue is by 19th December Kane suddenly has a very good run again. I'm keen to avoid selling players in form who I'm certain I'll want back soonish. Two transfers is already 8 points if you're going back and forth between the two.

That said, I also have Vardy now, and believe he's a great option. It's City I'm compromising on 🙂

8. Flair

Stop convincing people to get him!

5. C_G

have not been on here all week!

hows this looking for GW 10?? Should I use my FT? have 2.0 ITB

Martinez

Chilwell Cresswell KWP

KDB Bruno Ziyech Grealish

Watkins DCL Vardy (c)

Forster Mitchell Riedwald Lamp

1. Covid Martial

Why is the first sentence relevant and why does it require an exclamation mark?

1. C_G

because im usually here earlier in the week

1. Covid Martial

Gotcha.

6. wulfranian

Do you prefer Kdb or Fernandes?

1. g40steve

The one who has the most away points

2. The Sociologist

Fernandes this week, KDB next week.

3. Bavarian

KDB is your man

4. I Member

Long term KDB but I certainly wouldn't want to sell Bruno this week.

5. wulfranian

cheers all.I am thinking to sell Rashford.I watched both of his last two performances and he was so bad.

6. Magic Zico

Stick with what I've got Bruno, but thinking hard to get KDB (FUL) next week

7. Covid Martial

So many of the questions on here are essentially just 'how long is a piece of string'?

1. Rupert The Horse

And what’s the answer?

1. Covid Martial

Well it's about 6 inches but please don't hold me to it.

1. Rupert The Horse

Hold me to it.

1. Covid Martial

No I'm afraid you might bolt.

2. g40steve

About 30 cm

8. g40steve

Mahrez playing this weekend?
      Nice differential move from Zaha, or go risky Zaha & Robbo > KDB & NecoW?

1. Covid Martial

Williams looked awful yesterday. Avoid imo

2. The Ilfordian

Mahrez stunk up my team for too many weeks. Good skill but no penetration. Good luck if you choose him

9. Sprets

Any help would be appreciated!

Pick 2 to start this GW:

Chilwell (TOT)
        Zouma (TOT)
        Coufal (AVL)
        Mitchell (NEW)

Already have Cancelo starting.

1. Freshy

Options:

A) Zaha + JRod ---> KDB + cheap filler
          B) Zaha + JRod ---> Bruno + cheap filler
          C) Save transfer and trust JRod to do some magic against Leeds at home

Please help!

1. The Sociologist

Team looks okay actually in Midfield. Defence looks the issue.

I’d use the money to upgrade Dunne.

4. C_G

should i do Bruno ----> Salah on FT?

1. The Sociologist

Not for me this week with Bruno’s away record. Any other routes to Salah?

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

If you are going to do it, might as well do it for free

3. The White Pele

I’d want both long term

5. waltzingmatildas

If I do Kane to vardy for free, either of these worth a hit?
          A) bissouma to jota
          B) ctaylor to cancelo

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

A could well pay off this week alone

1. waltzingmatildas

It could. Need to make some aggressive moves, seems like a good start.
              B as well?!

It'll be more fun

1. waltzingmatildas

Haha true. I don't always think about the fun move....really should do

2. The Sociologist

How often would you be starting Taylor over the next few weeks? And what are the alternative defenders in your team?

1. waltzingmatildas

Have James, Chilwell, ayling, Mitchell.
              Would mean not starting ayling

1. The Sociologist

I’d probably be tempted to make the move then. Think it’ll pay off over the long run.

1. waltzingmatildas

Cheers

6. Atimis

Which one sounds best?

1. Son Hamez to KDB Jota -4
          2. Reguilon Hamez to Cancelo Sterling -4
          3. No hit, make one move

No hit

2. The Sociologist

No hit for me there

3. RAFA THE GAFFA

I’m looking at 1

7. RAFA THE GAFFA

Which combo do you prefer?

A. Kane+KDB(c)+Jota (-4)
          B. Vardy(c)+Son+JRod

1. waltzingmatildas

2. Over Midwicket

3. The White Pele

4. Fulchester's New Centr…

Hmmm. B cos JRod and Son could still do ok and Fulham are just bobbins

5. Richard Richard (AKA: Anzhi…

A by a distance for me

6. Miguel Sanchez

7. The Sociologist

That’s tough. Maybe B this week?

8. Kannbury

B.

• Atimis

Similar problem, on B now

• RAFA THE GAFFA

6-3 to the B’s! Interesting

9. The White Pele

Rash to Kdb worth a hit ? ( have Bruno)

Na

1. waltzingmatildas

Yes for me

2. Miguel Sanchez

Nope - Rashford has an ideal fixture given that left sided pacy forwards (Zaha, Son and Werner) have all done well against the Saints high line

10. EvanNewton12

Loving these articles surrounding the process of your picks. Would challenge you in future to be introspective around any potential biases influencing your decisions. For example you had a hunch about Werner before any evidence in the EPL this season; could a slight confirmation bias be at work?

Too meta.
              We only like a, b, c and RMT round here

1. The Ilfordian

2. Rupert The Horse

Not for a hit.

11. how now brown cow

Zaha to

A - Grealish
            B - Jota
            C - Other (8.1 to spend)

1. Miguel Sanchez

b

2. I Member

3. Fulchester's New Centr…

4. Hart-ake

I would edge towards A, but B is obviously a tempter.

12. I Member

Be nice if Martial could score a goal this week.

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Bit concerned that Cavani looks a lot more like he knows what he is doing if you see what I mean

2. Rupert The Horse

Why do you have Martial?

1. I Member

Punted on him as my Ings replacement. Scored in CL that week and eve, WBA, sou, whu looked like a good run of games.

13. RamaJama

Any nailed mids for Max 7.6 worth to replace Zaha for -4?

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Zaha not playing so depends on bench. Walcott, Grealish, Fornals, Mount even?

2. Miguel Sanchez

Grealish?

Just go down to Jota.

14. Wrong Captain Choice - Ag i…

This article reads like a Lateriser self soothing confession box.

"I am know I am great, my mistakes aren't my own I blame happenstance... because what else could it be? 😀 "

Welcome to the world of the mere mortals FPL players Mr Lateriser!

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Like when players used to just drift down the leagues as they got older and couldn't do what they used to be able to do anymore.

15. vincentwsho

Who to play? Already have Grealish.

A) Watkins (whu)
            B) Soucek (AST)

1. Rassi

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

16. Finding Timo

Any advice please on best captain for this week out of a) DCL b) Bruno or c) sterling ?

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

I think there might be some sort of poll somewhere that might help

Bruno > DCL > Sterling

1. Finding Timo

Yep cheers the poll on here v close between DCL and Bruno by 1 vote

2. Miguel Sanchez

Like C

2. AlpoShearer

KDB and Bamford for Foden and Kane -4?
                Y or N

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Who can you get for just Foden?

1. AlpoShearer

10,3 for just Foden

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Jota flavour of the week

3. g40steve

Zaha to Mahrez an option?

1. CroatianHammer

I would imagine you should be looking at Zaha to Jota if you're making a move... It's something I'm considering myself, for a hit, but I have a playing XI and one sub (Zaha and Lamptey both red and definitely out), so don't feel like I need to go there.

1. g40steve

Already got Jota before the rises.
                    Just think Mahrez has a brace in him & low ownership?

1. The Ilfordian

I hope you’re right. He’s not played well to date. And I’ve got a gut feeling the rumours of unrest around him are true (spat with KDB; wanting to go to PSG)

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

Probably one you'll hate yourself for in the morning

4. Gudjohnsen

A. Kane to Vardy captain for a hit
                B. Captain Bruno

5. Manani

save FT?

Marttinez
                James Chiwell Cancelo
                Salah Ziyech Grealish Foden Son
                Kane DCL
                (Steer Brewster Mitchell Lamperty)

Not keen on Foden

6. FlatTrackBully

Ziyech to Jota? Or a waste of a FT?

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Probably a waste longer term

2. dbeck

you'll want Ziyech back for that leeds games, also is werner didnt mess his 2m pass to ziyech, he would of scored and you wouldnt ditch

7. Top Dog

Can’t think of a reason not to bring in Jota this week for Soucek, however had always planned to bring Vardy in for Kane, and Fulham looked shocking defensively at the weekend.

Don’t want to bring them both in for a hit as also causes issues for me getting Salah in.

Anyone else having similar dilemma?

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

I stuck with my original plan

8. King Kohli

Son > KDB worth a hit here?

Martinez
                Chilwell Konsa Coufal
                Sterling Bruno Son Jota
                Vardy(c) Dcl Bamford
                Steer Kilman Anguissa Mitchell

1. Shark Team

I sold Son last gw and it seems like a big mistake i wouldn't suggest you to do

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

No way

3. Rhodes your boat

No, keep you have sterling

9. The Overthinker

Klopp said anything about Salah?

10. Rhodes your boat

Best 4th defender (will start this week due to lamptey suspension)

A) dann
                B) kwp
                C) Dallas
                D) coufal (have balbuena)
                E) holding

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

No situation that Couf can't make better

11. vk9

Current team:

Martinez
                Coufal Reguilon KWP
                Salah Grealish Rashford Zaha
                DCL Kane Watkins

Bench: Lamptey, Mitchell, Stephens

1. Kane, Zaha, Lamptey --> Bamford, Kdb, Cancelo (-8) This gives me enough money in the bank to get chilwell/robbo next week if needed
                2. Zaha, Lamptey ---> Kdb Dallas (-4). No money left in bank
                3. Kane + zaha ---->Vardy + kdb (-4). No money to get robbo/chilwell next week
                Thanks in advance 🙂

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Zaha to Bruno or Jota for free?

1. vk9

I really fancy kdb this week. I would cap kdb if i get him