Podcast

Scoutcast Episode 354 – How can FPL bosses fit in Salah, De Bruyne and Fernandes?

Joe and Az are joined by Karam to look ahead to Gameweek 11 and assess the key challenges facing Fantasy Premier League managers.

Chief among their concerns is the postponement of Friday night’s clash between Aston Villa and Newcastle United. There is a chance that it could be rearranged within the Gameweek but if not, FPL managers face some tough choices. Should they bench or swap out the likes of Villa talisman Jack Grealish (£7.7m) or Newcastle striker Callum Wilson (£6.5m)?

Our Scoutcast trio also discuss the three most talked about players of the week: Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah (£12.2m), Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne (£11.7m) and Manchester United’s Bruno Fernandes (£10.9m). These midfield picks are showing remarkable consistency but with hefty price tags, it may be tricky to fit them all in. Can they be ‘covered’ by the likes of Reds midfielder Diogo Jota (£6.8m) and City winger Riyad Mahrez (£8.3m)?

Pep Guardiola’s latest round of roulette is also on the bill. This chat will be of particular interest to those clinging onto City rotation risks such as Raheem Sterling (£11.4m).

Meanwhile, Joe, Az and Karam give their top tips for climbing up the rankings ahead of Christmas. Within this section, Karam takes his turn to pick a differential, which garners approval from Joe and Az.

The usual features are also covered in the show, with next four fixtures frisked, rough with the smooths aired, and transfer and captaincy plans revealed.

This Scoutcast was first beamed live via our YouTube channel. Be sure to subscribe to get notified of future live episodes.

In addition, the Scoutcast and all our other podcasts are now also available via our Soundcloud channel.

If you’re a traditional type, you can acquire the mp3 audio version via this link or the first player below. Or you can take in the full visual experience via the second player below.

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.

J0E Podcaster and writer. Tweets stats and stuff via @FFScout_Joe” Follow him on Twitter

1. iL PiStOlErO

Any suggestions? Raz out or keep?

Mendy (Steer)
    Cancelo Justin KWP Taylor Mitchell
    Bruno Sterling Son Grealish Romeu
    Kane DCL Watkins

0.2 itb, 2ft

1. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

Raz to KDB cap imo

1. iL PiStOlErO

0.1 short, will have to use other ft then. Who else out? Watkins? Cancelo?

2. Shineonme

Think sterling will be on the bench the weekend so get rid

2. Jimmy Boy

Werner is so frustrating. Tempted to get rid for Jesus but know a haul will come as soon as I get rid as he looks dangerous in every Chelsea game. Also, Mane out or hold for one more week?

1. Miguel Sanchez

Hold both - this could be Werner's week vs Leeds

2. drughi

I wanna bring werner in, think he will get some serious points against leeds and everton

3. Trophé Mourinho

Really hoping Werner gets double digits vs Leeds, seriously considering downgrading him to Bamford. Plus Pulisic back now which doesn’t bode well for Werner either

3. THE KING CANTONA

I have got Wilson, Grealish, Konsa, Martinez, Forster (second GK), Mitchell and Sterling to address this GW. What would you do in this situation?

1) FH this GW?
    2) -8 to field 11 players (assuming Sterling plays)?

1. Miguel Sanchez

2. Shineonme

4. Klip Klopp

Can I get some help please? I have 3m itb and 1FT

Martinez
    Coufal / Kilman / Chilwell /
    Jota / Son / Grealish / Bruno
    DCL / Kane / Werner (c)

Bench: Kilman, Stephens, Douglas

A. Son to KDB and play Kilman
    B. Son + Kilman —> KDB + 4.6
    C. Son + Kilman —> Mahez + any defender
    D. Kane + Stephens —> Jesus + Mahrez (but i’ll have a benching headache)
    E. Any suggestion?

Bench; Lamptey, Stephens, Douglas

5. Bennyboy1907

Forster (Martinez)
      Robbo, chillwell, Lamptey (Coufal, Mitchel)
      KDB (c), Bruno, Bissouma, Zaha (Grealish)
      Vardy DCL Bamford

1FT and 1.3ITB

IF zaha is playing should I roll my transfer?
      I could play Coufal instead of zaha too. And it’s 10 men without keeper but I’m happy with that

• Miguel Sanchez

For one week only would you rather have:

A) PVA (wba)
      B) R.James (LEE) - double up with Chilwell

1. Little Red Lacazette

2. Top Lad Dakes. - WC/TC left

probably A. Baggies a bit toothless, Leeds could score

3. F4L

probably PVA

4. The Mantis

B for me

5. luk46

6. Hazz

James is better any and every week.

• Top Lad Dakes. - WC/TC left

A) Kane Podence to Bamford KDB (-4), 1.0 ITB
      B) Kane Hamez to Bamford KDB (-4), 3.2m ITB
      C) The above, but get Jesus over Bamford
      D) Ziyech Hamez to KDB JWP/Bowen (-4) + some spare change ITB

Tough one. Team linked

1. Miguel Sanchez

1. Top Lad Dakes. - WC/TC left

Cheers mate - interesting you think keep Podence over Hamez, why's that?

Was pretty set on A before, and then selling Hamez for Jota next week maybe

1. Miguel Sanchez

Hamez just looks like an assist the assister now. Doesn't return much away from home and fixtures getting tough. Also don't trust his fitness record as the fixtures start coming thick and fast.

Podence quite a bit cheaper and Wolves will have to find a new way to attack with Jimenez out which Podence/Neto/Traore will be central to.

1. Miguel Sanchez

That delayed sale of Hamez isn't a bad idea either mind

• F4L

With the approval of the Pfizer vaccine, hopefully PL players are vaccinated soon and there'll only be 3-4 weeks to worry about players testing positive.

1. Hazz

Bruce has a pending pre-order for the first batch.

2. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

I dont think PL players will be getting priority over general public tbh

1. Amey

You gotta be kidding

2. Pep bites Kun

I wouldn't prioritise a player above a more vulnerable person, but I don't see that as the issue. Clubs have the money and the logistics to administer. There's plenty of vaccine to go around. The shortfall is the manpower & logistics to make it happen. I reckon what we'll see is large stocks of vaccine without the required logistics & skilled personnel to deliver

3. The Artist

Would be great for the PL, but IMO hard to justify vaccinating players when there are so many at-risk communities (frontline health workers, elderly and folks with underlying health issues) for whom the vaccine represents life over death. My guess is athletes get it late winter/early spring. The optics of them getting it before at-risk communities would be absolutely terrible.

1. Amey

This is so ideal. But we live in world where they don't matter.

As soon as vaccine is successfully tested all the millionaires will get them ahead of the vulnerable part of whole world. We all know that.

1. KAPTAIN KANE

I think it’s a bit different with a pandemic at hand, but maybe I’m too innocent and you’re right.

1. Amey

I've seen people selling goods for quadruple of original price during initial lockdown and Government being late in taking action. I have no hope 🙁

Whatever, happy that it's finally out ! We all need some fresh air don't we

1. KAPTAIN KANE

I need a night out...

4. Shineonme

I will never have that vaccine not in a million years. Research don't take blindly what our lying Governments say about it. I'm healthy and plan on staying that way.

1. KAPTAIN KANE

It will be used as blackmail for freedom

• The Mantis

I'm one of those with no GK, Grealish and Wilson this week. Tried so many different options but not happy with any.
      Suggest anything on the below please?

Martinez* / Button*
      Bellerin / Cresswell / Chilwell / Kilman (Mitchell)
      Jrod / Bruno / Salah / Bissouma (Grealish*)
      DCL / Vardy (Wilson*)

TC Bissouma?

1. Toblerone52 - Hung like a H…

You have a decent 10 there.

Im in a similar posiiton and just gonna roll with it

2. Top Lad Dakes. - WC/TC left

If you're comfortable going keeper-less for a week (I probably am) then replacing Kilman could get you through the week. How much ITB / FT?

1. The Mantis

Interesting, just the 1 FT but 2M ITB. Trying to find a way to KDB but I just can't this week it would seem

3. Hazz

- Do you want to keep Martinez?

If N, sell for whoever you want. If Y, keep. He got 1 last GW so 0 isn't a big difference.

I'm not sure Wilson is worth shipping unless it's for Jesus somehow. Other mid-priced forwards haven't got the best fixtures & Wilson has three good ones after what would have been AVL.

How much value have you got tied up in Grealish? Mahrez would tempt me for this GW in isolation, as KDB is too tricky for you to bring it without busting up your team(?). I would say drop J-Rod, but he has a game...

Your defense may have a tough time this week. Either upgrade Mitchell to someone with a good fixture, or maybe Grealish had to go temporarily.

1. Amey

Good post

1. Hazz

Thank you. May very well be bad advice though - you never know!

2. The Mantis

Thanks for the help, I've had a few of these thoughts myself.

Martinez I don't care to keep or not, but I don't want to waste a transfer there I don't think - he has quite good fixtures soon so I'll probably ride that one out.

Grealish I've earned 0.3M on, but again I think I want to keep him just due to fixtures and the fact he's quality.

I have been looking at Jrod to Mahrez. Jrod will inevitably be sold but I was holding for this week against Burnley, but maybe I'd rather Mahrez for a way into City.

I am looking at a -4 now for Kilman or Mitchell to James and Jrod to Mahrez, not terrible moves and haven't taken a hit this season yet...

1. Hazz

I'd lose Mitchell over Kilman.

I would want to sell Hamez (I sold him last week, as part of a minus!) but I'm not convinced this is the week a sale would pay off given the opposition/other blankers you have.

Don't shy from hits. My last two have paid off. Would just say be sensible with the situation you're in.

3. Little Red Lacazette

Nice post.

• Top Lad Dakes. - WC/TC left

A) Kane Bowen/JWP
      B) Bamford Ziyech

who would you rather? Do also have Son for Spurs if that has any bearing

1. Carefree Crew

Different price points by about £3mil aren't they?
        A)£17m ish
        B) £14m ish

Individually Kane will probably score the highest points. I'm hoping Leeds don't get anything against the best defence in the league.
        Disclaimer huge Chelsea bias. 🙂

• The Artist

McCarthy or Meslier as replacement for Martinez? Or do I roll the transfer and go into GW11 with no keeper? That seems suboptimal...

1. TomSaints

You’ll be regretting either trade next week.

Annoying but keepers regularly get 1-2 points anyway

2. Arctic monkeys

I'm rolling the transfer and playing with no keeper. I don't think its's worth it, both McCarthy and Meslier could concede.

3. Hazz

The answer depends on whether you want to keep Martinez or not.

If you do, just roll with the 0. He only score 1 last GW so it's not all that different. If you do, just pick one and roll with it.

I had a FT and for unrelated reasons brought in a new GK this week (before this postponement came about); I picked McCarthy.

I prefer the better team but the fact I already had Forster helped sell it. Honestly I think Meslier/Johnstone/McCarthy are all roughly as good as each other.

• Amey

Everyone taking hits to bring IN City players with effectively no bench this GW. Will be carnage !

Not really. It's really KdB or bust for most people. I think most will be fixing their bench/getting rid of Villa assets.

1. Amey

Value in Grealish would make most keep him. Watkins will go for most though yeah.

• TomSaints

100% keep grealish and looks like you can field 10 outfield players.

I personally would not take a hit for a keeper. No cheap keepers are better for more than 2 weeks and then you’d be stuck. I would consider a hit for a premium long term keeper e.g Mandy but still not great.

1. TomSaints

Great reply failure

1. Pep bites Kun

I liked it 🙂

• thetommy14

Sell Cancelo for Reguilon?

• seanie3

With cancelo playing 90 mins last night, is it fair to say Mendy is now nailed LB for city and I should move Cancelo on from my team...

1. St Pauli Walnuts

It's fair to say no firm conclusions can be drawn. There was lots of evidence to suggest Cancelo was first choice prior to this. Mendy hasn't been trusted by Pep for a long time, I certainly wouldn't call him nailed by any means just because of the last couple of games. If you have nothing else to use FTs for or no reserve defenders I'd get rid, but otherwise wait. I'm holding this week.

• Dr. Ante Pavlovic

How would this look for next gw, if I took a hit to get Mahrez in for Grealish as a punt? Could easily bring him back in gw13.

Mendy
        Chilwell, Justin, Cancelo
        KDB(c), Bruno, Mahrez, Ziyech, Jota
        Vardy, DCL

Button, Coufal, Brewster, Targett

• Parsnips

Is Barkley > Mahrez the best transfer?

Ryan
          Chilwell Coufal Robo Cancelo
          Jota Anguissa Bruno KDB
          DCL Werner

Martinez Mitchell Watkins Barkley

How are you going to get Salah next week?

If it doesn't matter to you, I suppose yeah, Barkley > Mahrez has highest upside for this week.

• myteamissheeeeeeeet

Yo Yo Yo!!!

A. Ziyech & Targett to James & Mahrez (own Chilwell)

B. Ziyech & Targett to Jota & Walker (own Cancelo)

1. RamaJama

2. Dr. Ante Pavlovic

Don't get rid of Hakim, he could haul this week

I'd get rid of Cancelo ahead of Targett. I really don't think he'll play and at least Targett is cheap and useful in the following weeks.

• PogBruno

Any case for putting the armband in Sterling?

• PogBruno

Any case for putting the armband on Sterling?

1. PogBruno

Oops

2. Carefree Crew

It's a big gamble. No guarantee he starts, could make a late cameo for a point. That's a nightmare with other good options this week.
            IF that's a big if, he does & hauls he is a differential, but too risky IMHO. Good luck if you do though!

• Carefree Crew

*Martinez*, (Forster)
          Chilwell, Cresswell, Lamptey,
          *Sterling*, *Foden*, Ziyech, Salah,
          Vardy (C), DCL, Brewster.

Subs: Coady, (*Grealish*, Dunne)

0FTs & £0 ITB.

No playing GK which I'm not wasting a minus 4 on. So I'm playing with a maximum of 10 men anyway.

A) Gamble Sterling & Foden will get some minutes & return something or Coady comes in away to Liverpool for one of them. (No other playing subs)
          B) Sterling to Bruno minus 4, as I planned to get him after the Manchester derby anyway.
          C) B + Foden to Jota for a minus 8
          D) Something else?

Concerned if I remove City assets for Fulham it could backfire.
          Keeping Grealish as I'd only waste 2 transfers getting him back in.
          Ziyech next 2 are Leeds & Everton so I want to hold. Not selling Salah either.

I'm really struggling to make a decision, any ideas welcomed please. Thanks.

• g40steve

On a week like this if in doubt sit tight while all around go on a hit frenzy 🙂

1. Pep bites Kun

Good point

2. Hazz

Easier for some more than others with the cards they've been dealt (or more accurately, picked from the pile).

3. Debauchy

Yep, easy when you have starters though . Seen some teams with 4 players out and no bench , that's frenzy time

• Debauchy

Mahrez starting , my take 95 % a starter ?
          Yes do'nt second guess Pep but some of his moves are really blatantly obvious.
          As a Foden holder I know Pep has him assigned primarily to the CL games and I see him starting there again next week ( sub at best this GW)
          Why would Pep stunt the sudden improved form from Mahrez , well no he wo'nt he's not an idiot though we call him that from time to time

So on a free Foden to Mahrez (have KDB) a no brainer right ?
          I have no issues with starters , strong bench

A. Aye
          B .

1. Carefree Crew

Fellow Foden owner & been looking to sell, just had other fires to put out.
            Yes to Mahrez, form, fixtures, rested mix week after scoring a hat trick & Peps comments about players that score get to play.
            Lower rotation risk them Foden who can't get a start in the PL.
            Good luck mate.

2. g40steve

3. _Ninja_

Aye

• zman575

hey guys need some help following mahrez's rest and the villa game being called off.

current team is as follows

martinez forster
            chilwell lamptey justin coufal mitchell
            bruno kdb ziyech grealish burke
            werner vardy dcl

I have 1 FT

A. Roll a transfer
            B. Vardy and Burke to mahrez and bamford (this means playing bamford this weekend away at chelsea ahead of coufal who wont do anything at home to man utd)
            C. Martinez to meslier

I was already considering b before mahrez's full rest tonight as it gives me 2 players for an average jamie vardy and both leeds and city have juicy fixtures.

Thanks all