Pro Pundit Teams

The best FPL defenders to replace Chilwell and James following recent injuries

Fantasy Premier League managers have been handed a Christmas dilemma this year as a number of popular defenders pick up festive injuries.

Ben Chilwell (£6.1m) and Reece James (£5.3m) are both “doubtful” to face Arsenal and Aston Villa according to Frank Lampard while Tariq Lamptey (£4.8m) has been ruled out of Gameweek 15 with an ongoing hamstring problem.

But it is not just about finding direct replacements for these players. With the Blank and Double Gameweeks now announced, it is time we let those fixtures guide our transfers…

Replacements for injured defenders

Rúben Dias (£5.7m) looks like the number one option in my books if you are hunting for a defender. This season, Manchester City are playing two defensively minded midfielders and Pep Guardiola is definitely looking to build from the back.

Not so long ago, Raheem Sterling (£11.4m) mentioned how Dias is emerging as a vocal leader in the dressing room and talking about the impact he’s made which reminds him of Vincent Kompany. Guardiola was of high praise for the centre-back as well and he looks the most nailed Manchester City defender to me. These quotes from Guardiola recently are very encouraging:

“Ruben has helped us a lot to be solid and he has settled perfect with John [Stones]. It’s incredible [the defensive solidity] – that is how we can still be there. Knocking on the door of teams above us. We need it to be stable and maybe one day players will be fresh to score the goals. Ruben [Dias] doesn’t make a single mistake, he is always focused. He is able to lead the line, the same with John [Stones]. Our club bought an exceptional defender – especially for the personality. What is important when you buy a player is that you have a feeling they will be settled for the next years. And we are pretty sure [that] Ruben will give us big moments.” – Pep Guardiola

Dias has started every Premier League game he has been available for this season and is a threat from set pieces as well.

But, more importantly, Manchester City have kept four clean sheets in the last six games. Don’t let the Everton and Chelsea away fixtures put you off. Without their recognised full-backs, they are not quite the same attacking beast while Frank Lampard has showed us this season that he has learnt his lessons from last year and is adopting a very conservative approach against big teams.

The one thing I like about going for a Manchester City defender (or two) right now is that they have a fixture in Blank Gameweek 18, they have a playable single fixture in Gameweek 19 and they have a great schedule from Gameweeks 20 to 22.

So the state of your team after Gameweek 20 is in good shape if you own some Manchester City assets and it might likely save you a Free Hit chip in Gameweek 18 if you feel like saving it for later (more on this later).

John Stones (£4.9m) is an option too if you ask me bust he doesn’t inspire as much confidence in terms of starts as Dias, having dropped out in Gameweek 13. That said, the one game he missed since Gameweek 10 (when Stones reclaimed his place) is the only time City actually conceded, so Guardiola should understand his importance to the team by now.

Whether you go for Stones depends on how you rate him as a player. At the point, if he continues playing this way, he will remain City’s starting defender.

There are is another key aspect in Stones’ favour. He is a great passer of the ball which helps the partnership with Dias function properly and, in addition, helps Stones get bonus points as well. He has pulled in a total of four across his last two starts.

West Ham have one of the best combination of fixtures in Double Gameweek 19, Burnley and West Brom at home, as well as an appealing run of matches beyond that. Accordingly, I would highly recommend Vladimir Coufal (£4.6m).

Aaron Cresswell (£5.2m) is an option as well but in the last six Gameweeks, Coufal has created 13 chances compared, while his more expensive colleague has fashioned just six, now deployed in a deeper role since the switch back to a back-four. Therefore, Coufal is also more likely to get assists, and bonus points for chance creation.

Can Robertson sustain value advantage over Alexander-Arnold after 10-point haul?

I think we should be talking about the Liverpool full-backs too. They showed us in the win at Crystal Palace that a glimmer of their former glory is still there.

Like Manchester City and West Ham, the Reds have two home games in the Double Gameweek and boast three decent fixtures before that, so I think if you move early enough, Trent Alexander-Arnold (£7.2m) can be a handy differential.

I still prefer Andrew Robertson (£7.2m) purely based on eye-test though. The simple fact is that the left-back is just spending a lot more time in and around the box this season and, due to the fact that he’s making so many overlapping runs, his likelihood to assist is very high. In addition, he also remains on certain set pieces.

Chip strategy

There is a lot of chaos and confusion around the Blank and Double Gameweeks but, if you ask me, any good Fantasy manager worth their salt sees this as an opportunity and not a hindrance.

If you want to get up to speed with what is the current state of play, I recommend going through this article on the website.

As for my chip strategy, you can read my initial thoughts on the Blanks and Double Gameweeks here. For your information, I have already used my first Wildcard.

Initially, I was thinking about Free Hitting in Gameweek 18 since I have a not so great team for Blank Gameweek 18 and then attack Double Gameweek 19 (without a bench boost). I am now thinking about saving my Free Hit Chip in Gameweek 18 because of three reasons:

• Apart from Manchester City and, to some extent, Spurs, very few fixtures look exciting for Fantasy managers
  • If, in the next few weeks, I am buying Spurs assets (they have great Gameweek 16 and 17 fixtures) and Manchester City assets for their aforementioned kind schedule, then I don’t really need much else in Gameweek 18 and I can see myself somewhat getting by in that Gameweek.
  • It looks likely that we will have a big Double Gameweek in Gameweek 26 and a big Blank Gameweek in Gameweek 29. Since I will likely be Wildcarding in Gameweek 24 or 25, Bench Boosting in Gameweek 26, I don’t want to spend transfers between Gameweek 26 and 29 focusing on Blank Gameweek players.

Just so you know, this strategy is specific to my team only and you should do what suits your team the most.

Zophar, BigManBakar and I have covered the Blank and Double Gameweeks in depth in this week’s episode of The FPL Wire (embedded below for your convenience). We discuss Gameweek 18, 19 and what strategies would be worth going for depending on whether you have your first wildcard in hand or not.

As for my own team, I finally had a good round last Gameweek, scoring 88 points, having signed Anthony Martial (£8.7m) and captained him.

As I already owned Bruno Fernandes (£11.0m), there was enough insurance to go for the higher upside with Martial. As you guys know, this is just how I play the game and genuinely how I most enjoy playing it.

For me, there is no point playing this game if you don’t back your own gut feeling. It was good to see a non-template move finally pay off. I jumped from 2.95 million to 2.24 million and I’m hoping this is a start of a good run.

While I’ve got you, I would like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. See you on the other side of the madness!

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.

1. Christina.

Going to be fun to see how people playing their Wc1 now get crap players just to be different.

1. Pep Roulette

Mine will be Firmino lol

2. CONNERS

Saw one yesterday with triple United attack (Bruno, Rash, Martial).

Not for me.

1. Pep Roulette

I'm a United fan and I would never recommend this.

3. Mr. O'Connell

Played mine same week last year, ended up taking Trent out for Gomez trying to be clever. Trent 4 assists next match or something stupid.

2. thegaffer82

Lamptey has let me down again big time...

My DF is in a mess and I potentially need him again this week as I have Mitchell, Lamptey and Cancelo in my squad (with Dier & Justin).

Is it worth a hit to bring in another body? Although with me FHing in 19, I need a player who plays in GW18...

Lamptey > who?

a) Stones (will block me getting Sterling in GW18)
    b) Targett (Villa DF double up)
    c) Lascelles (gotta admit, I'm not keen)
    d) Holgate (might be a nice punt)
    e) Basham (just kidding!!!)

1. CONNERS

Could you not build towards gw19 and FH18 instead?

I don't fancy any of the above. Prefer Taylor, Coufal, KWP, Dallas, etc, all of whom have a DGW.

1. thegaffer82

Nope. I'm not using my FH in 18 just so I can buy a better 4.5DFer.

Waste of a chip playing it in 18 when I already have Kane, KDB, Grealish, Cancelo, Dier, Matinez, Lamptey* and even Mitchell & Brewster might make an appearence

2. CONNERS

Fair enough. Prefer Holgate from the above.

GL

1. thegaffer82

Cheers for the reply 🙂

Merry Xmas!

3. FPL_Motty

So, is GW18 really the best blank to use FH? Or is now BGW 29 going to be worse?!

1. umerlfc

Depends on your team
      If you have 6+ players for GW18, I'd suggest to save FH for later

2. Zim0

If United Burnley happens in 18 then I'll FH 29.

3. thegaffer82

No way to say about BGW29 (if that's when it ends up being...)

But I fully agree with Lateriser in this article...

This particular GW18 looks a pretty sh**y week to play your FH.

So many people already have Kane and/or Son, Man City DFers are very popular, hoards of people have KDB. Then there's the Villa contingent (Watkins/Martinez/Grealish) who are highly owned.

That's the core of a FH basically. So, you are using your chip to get a few fillers basically (like Neto/Podence/J-Rod). Doesn't seem like a great use of possibly the best chip in the game.

I'll be attacking DGW19 with mine and cherry picking the best XI and concentrating all my cash into the starting XI. Some BBers or TCers might do better, but I can't see a big variance at all.

1. FPL_Motty

Yeah I think its pretty much definite that there will be a blank in 29 as thats when the FA cup quarters are going to be.

You make a good point about the core players for the GW, and the fillers don't fill me with confidence, and definitely not good enough to bring into my team. If Man utd Burnely moves into 18 then I would definitely be happy with just 8 players. At only 6 its on the edge..

All blank gameweeks are unappetizing though. Having fewer fixtures to choose from will make them weak by nature.

FH in 29 might be better I suppose but you have time between 26 and 29 to get players for it. Whereas here, you don't.

1. FPL_Motty

It's difficult to predict anything now but one thought that is moving me towards FH 29 is that it is likely that the bigger teams reach the quarters, ie. utd, city, liverpool etc. Those are the teams with the core best FPL assets, which means in order to plan with regular transfers for BGW29 it means you need to start ditching the likes of Salah / Bruno / KDB / Son etc. Whereas in the upcoming blank for 18, it includes City and Spurs so far, maybe even Utd as well, meaning you dont need to lose those players. Just thoughts at the mo but I don't think FH 18 is so clear cut anymore..

3. Fulchester's New Centr…

Last year I planned when to FH and even though I already had about half of those in my team anyway went ahead and did it.
        Massive waste.
        Killed my rank.
        Ended up just playing at silly buggers for last few weeks of season and managed to treble OR.

4. Christina.

I also thought that. But it (fh18) gives you the option to have the likes of kdB/Son/Kane/Sterling/Dias/Auba/DCL etc without selling the likes of Bruno/Salah/Bamford who you would want in 19

1. FPL_Motty

Alot of teams already have KDB / Son / Kane / Dias / Spurs def / DCL - which is why its making me think how much is there to be gained in gw18? There will be gains in some differntials, Sterling is very low owned, Auba is a bit of a gamble, but other differntials are from teams like newcastle, wolves, palace etc, not hugely inspiring. No doubt though theres points to be gained. But will it be worse in 29? If all the top teams reach the quarters, like liverpool, man U, city, spurs, etc. Then that makes BGW29 almost impossible to prepare for with regular transfers as it means ditching the best FPL players like Salah / Bruno / Son / KDB etc. Then somehow getting them back right after.. hmmmmm. Its a spanner in the works!

1. Christina.

maybe, but it's tough to have those players you mentioned and have Salah/Bruno for the fixtures leading up to 18. Kdb/son/dias all blanked this past gw. Bruno and Salah are the in form players now.

1. Christina.

PS: Not many have a city def...walker(11%)...spurs Regulion(5%)

2. Well you know, Triffic

Thing is, i want Son, Kane, KDB, DCL irrespective of 18! So i might just go with them on wildcard 16.

4. Pukki Party

There will be 10 ganeweeks to prepare for 29

1. FPL_Motty

Not quite? How will you know which teams are in the FA cup quarters until nearer the time, I believe its gw24 we will get news, so that gives 5 gws

1. Pukki Party

Crellin usually have percentages

5. Baines on Toast...

For me it is simply a case of being able to use the Salah and Fernandes cash elsewhere for a week without selling them and losing value.

1. Christina.

ditto
        and punting on the likes of Sterling/Auba etc for 1 week

2. FPL_Motty

Get what you're saying. But what do you do when the next blank comes around in 29 and you have Salah + Bruno who are blanking again? They will either have to be sold or sit on your bench then too

4. Bambi

Anyone else think TAA is being slightly overlooked?

1. Do I Not Like Orange

I am targeting him for DGW if I decide to go TC and can spread the money around the XI (already have Robbo).

2. CONNERS

Yes. I think he'll get his first major haul in one of the next two. Can't afford him sadly.

3. Olson

Already brought in. Not like this is the first time he's started slow, and had an injury this year. Robbo has been excellent. When was the last time he hit 18 points though

4. Pep Roulette

If you've Robbo, then you can punt on TAA. But between TAA & Robbo, then answer is Robbo.

5. RamaJama

Any reason in pools match strategy that makes it less likely that TAA will haul than Robertson for the remaining season?

1. Dr Van Nostrand

Not really altho Robbo is getting forward slightly more this year

5. umerlfc

Is keeping Chilwell sensible if I can afford to bench him?
    If there's a chance that he's fit for the DGW, I'd like to take it
    Don't mind the price drops

1. Do I Not Like Orange

I'm doing the same, gives me a bit more breathing space to decide if I want to go TC or BB for the double.

1. umerlfc

Yes that's what I need as well
        Can consider taking him out if not fit by the GW19 deadline

2. Peter Ouch

Not sure for me
      Sources mentioning he will be out for 4 games

1. umerlfc

The game I want him fit for, is 3 weeks away atm
        Even if he drops im price twice, I'd lose an 0.1 selling value which is fine

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

First time I read this thought it said Soucek rather than sources.
        Seemed strange that he was ITK leaker at Chelsea.

3. Christina.

prob fit for one and not the other.
      Murphy.

4. FPL_Motty

Yeah, can think of it as saving yourself a future transfer for getting a chelsea defender in for the double. Only works if covering def is good enough until then

1. umerlfc

Yess decent enough to field 3

5. thegame983

Only if you are happy with your back line without him. Don't go 3-4 weeks with a non playing premium defender only to see him get no clean sheets in GW 19 (reasonable chance of happening)

6. JollyGoodYellows

What transfers would you make here? 2FTs and 0.1itb. Plan to TC Mo in GW19 but not using FH in 18 so thinking I need a City defender

Mccarthy (Martin)
    Zouma James Dallas (Konsa Neco)
    Salah KDB Bruno Son (Anguissa)
    DCL Bamford Wilson

7. Teahupo'o

Anything worth a hit?

Martinez
    TAA Dallas Coufal
    KDB Salah Son Bruno Bowen
    DCL Bamford

(Steer, Justin Brewster Mitchell)
    0FT 0ITB

1. Peter Ouch

Gtg

2. Mr Ozil

Very good team
      GL

Captaining Salah?

1. Teahupo'o

Thanks. Barring injury, yeah most definitely.

3. umerlfc

Nope, gtg

4. Teahupo'o

Cheers all 🙂

8. Peter Ouch

Got robbo and dias
    I will upgrade konsa to:

A Stones
    B TAA (Wilson out ad well for a hit)

Thankso for the help lads

1. Tsparkes10

2. Teahupo'o

B Either option looks good but would be tempted by the Robbo TAA double up.

9. Bennyboy1907

Martinez (Forster)
      Robbo,TAA, Dallas (Coufal,Mitchel)
      Son, Salah, Bruno, Grealish (Bissouma)
      Adams,DCL,Bamford

How does this look for GW16. Planning to do KDB>>>Son and Chillwell>>> TAA

Does the liv double up look good?

• RamaJama

Anyone think TAA could come good and be a decent differential to Robertson?

1. Peter Ouch

Fpl strategy

2. umerlfc

Could be
        But if only one, I'd want to have Robbo, otherwise both if affordable

1. RamaJama

Thinking as the pair changes to be the most wanted during the seasons, we don’t know that Robertson will be the best performing of the two for the remaining part of the season?

1. umerlfc

I'd call this one to be Robbo's tbh simply based on the outstanding form he has been showing

• CROYDON DE BRUYNE

G2G?

McCarthy

Robertson Dias Dallas Targett

Salah KDB Bruno Son Lookman

Bamford

(Wilson, Brewster, Nkounkou)

1. Peter Ouch

Yessss

• Lateriser 12

@well you know trrfic

All 3 of us on the FPL Wire would probably save the FH chip for 18 if WC1 still intact.

3 reasons.
      Spurs. City. Unpredictable games.

1. Tsparkes10

Wym by save it for 18?

1. Lateriser 12

I mean save it for 29 and try passing through 18.

2. Zim0

What if my only 18 players are Son and KDB

1. Lateriser 12

I'm only talking about those that have WC1 in the pocket.

1. Zim0

Oh ok 🙂

• Tsparkes10

100.6M SV Wc for bb attempt...

Fabianski McCarthy
      Coufal Taylor Robo Lowton Ayling
      Salah Raphina Son Bruno JWP
      Antonio Martial Bamford

Thoughts?

1. Pep Roulette

Like it. Get Soucek instead of JWP and use the funds elsewhere.

1. Tsparkes10

Ty... used all 3 WHU spots.. could maybe mean upgrading Antonio but if he’s fit I think he’ll do wonders

2. waltzingmatildas

I think it looks decent. Is selling value if you take all of your players out? If so, mine is only 100.5!!!

1. Tsparkes10

Yup. So low 🙁

3. Zim0

Adams and Bowen over Antonio and JWP?

1. Tsparkes10

Possibly... think I prefer the latter if they are fit. JWP especially over Bowen as on set pieces etc.

4. The White Pele

Too much burnley

1. Zim0

Look at those fixtures. I'd want triple

• Olson

Any news or news due on villa (Konsa)

1. CAPA

Would welcome any news on Konsa too, thanks

• Finding Timo

All, assume whether ditch chilwell or lamperty, the best replacement is Coufal for ether ?

• faux_C

G2G?

Martinez
        Robertson, Ayling, Coufal
        Raphina, Salah, KDB, Fernandes
        Bamford, Firmino, Adams

(McCarthy, Soucek, Robinson, Masuaku)

• BobbyDoesNotLook

On wc: keep injured Chillwell (only 0.2 tied money) or get James or Zouma instead on wc for dgw? Or none?

1. Tsparkes10

I’m avoiding Chelsea I think

1. Westfield Irons ⭐️

Same here, zero chelsea in my WC BB DGW19 team plan.
            Too much rotation risk in attack IMO

• andres

James replacement - priced out of dias, should I go cancelo or play Dier (and have no bench)?

McCarthy
        Coufal Dier Targett (James, Mitchel)
        Son KDB Bruno Salah (Soucek)
        DCL Bamford Adams
        1FT, 0.4

• Deeney-is-a-god

Who would you get from robbo or trent? This season robbo has looked better, but we all know what taa can do

1. BobbyDoesNotLook

Robbo on fire plus more set pieces than ever

• seewhyaxe

Really can't find a Grealish replacement at his price point...

1. Christina.

you dont need one. until dgw19 perhaps.

2. CONNERS

Maddison could be a good punt.

3. Olson

Surely that's telling you something. In form, two games in hand, no adequate replacement. Costs transfers

1. seewhyaxe

Yep, I'm sold on keeping probably.

It's a luxury transfer.

4. Flair

Zaha I suppose... Villa offense is significantly better though

5. umerlfc

Well my plan is to downgrade to Rafinha so that I can get Kane for GW16

• OptimusBlack

Best Defender with in 5.9 M or Less
        For upcoming fixtures and DGW 19 too o
        A- Zouma
        B- Dallas
        C- Justin
        D- Taylor

• The Wizard of Ozil

Wilson -> Bamford worth a hit?

1. CONNERS

Should pay off over the next few and the DGW.

1. komodosam

Yeah. Newcastle look a mess at the moment and horrible fixture list.

• Il Capitano

Doing Chilwell and Justin to Robbo and Kilman if there's no worries from Klopp's presser. This looking okay for GW15 only? I have WC to use next week so not too fussed about the state of the bench.

90mins for DCL and Bruno midweek a bit of a worry, but they both should play right?

McCarthy
          Robbo Zouma Taylor
          Bruno Salah (C) KDB Grealish
          DCL Adams Bamford

Button - Bissouma Kilman Mitchell

1. Jam0sh

I wouldn't ditch Justin

• komodosam

Only two of my defenders are fit to play this weekend. Worth taking a hit to get Coufal in for James so that I can start 11 men?

1. Tsparkes10

Yup

2. OptimusBlack

Yeeees

3. Pep Roulette

In similar situation. But I'm not fancying a hit to get a defender this week. Boxing day games are full of goals. I will just play Mitchell and hope he gets 1 or 2 points.

1. Pep Roulette

Also because I will be WCing in GW16.

2. komodosam

Yeah, I hate taking a hit but might be worth it with the DGW coming up and Coufal with a good chance of a CS against Brighton.

1. komodosam

And he will rise to 4.7M soon.

3. Dark Side Of The Loon!

Will Mitchell play though?

1. Pep Roulette

I hope

• tabby98

Mccarthy (Nyland)
          Chilwell*. reece james*, Justin, KWP, (Mitchell)
          Salah, KDB, Fernandes, Grealish (Stephens)
          DCL, Wilson, Bamford

1FT £1.1m ITB

A) Reece James ---> Coufal/Cancelo
          B) Wilson---> Adams
          C) Options A+B (-4)
          D) Wildcard?

• LLoris

Will Justin play both DGW fixtures?

1. thegaffer82

Fellow Justin owner here. A tough one this because Ricardo and Castagne being back could cause problems for Justin.

I'll wait and see how things go and then react to the situation as it develops

• In a Rush

Help/thoughts on my set up much appreciated please?

Feel I should maybe play Welbeck I’m not sure!?

Martinez
          Kwp Zouma Dallas Coufal
          Salah(c) Grealish Bowen Bruno
          Dcl (v) Kane

Button Welbeck Lookman Taylor

Cheers all, happy Christmas Eve

• Wrong Captain Choice - Ag i…

I hope Watkins get some decent points would be a nice late Christmas present. Has been a disaster to own. Most annoying part I could have got Bamford instead of Watkins for 6.1 a few weeks ago. Bamford is now 6.4m and being consistent. Watkins will probably drop to 6.0m now.

• PP6

Which is better?

GW 15=Greenwood and Chillwell > Trent and Soucek free
          GW 16= KDB and Lamptey > Son and Robertson -4

or
          GW 15= Greenwood and Chilwell -> Raphina and Trent free
          GW 16= KDB and Mitchell -> Zouma and Son -4.

• Silent Friend

Grealish to Bowen for DGW?