Scout Notes

Wolves restrict heavily-backed Bamford as Meslier suffers freak own goal

Wolves 1-0 Leeds

• Goals: None
  • Own goals: Illan Meslier (£4.7m)
  • Assists: Adama Traoré (£6.0m)
  • Bonus points: Rui Patrício x3 (£5.3m), Raphinha x2 (£5.4m), Nelson Semedo (£5.2m)

MESS-LIER

Owners of Illan Meslier (£4.7m) endured a cruel evening as Leeds opened Double Gameweek 25 with a trip to Wolves.

In a relatively cagey encounter, the Whites’ goalkeeper was slowly building an impressive score, registering five saves in the opening period.

However, a dreadful piece of bad luck robbed him of what could have been a solid start to Double Gameweek 25 in the 64th minute.

Adama Traoré (£6.0m) who had mostly been kept quiet by Leeds’ full-backs, found some space in the middle for a speculative shot that struck the crossbar and went into the net off Meslier.

Before the own goal, the shot-stopper was projected a 10-point haul courtesy of a clean sheet, one save point and three bonus. After it, Meslier was down to just one point.

While there could be more joy against Southampton, it is certainly a hard start to the round for his 5.8% ownership.

WHAM BAM

It was a similar narrative for Patrick Bamford (£6.9m) who did not enjoy the best of starts to Double Gameweek 25 either.

The striker may have been backed by 80% of the top 10k for the captaincy but he endured a quiet evening at Molineux.

Wolves three-man defence smothered him while the hosts’ wing-backs and central midfielders did a solid job of cutting off his supply lines too.

As a result, Bamford only had two real moments where he looked even close to scoring.

In the middle of the second half, he was left with the scraps of a Liam Cooper (£4.3m) rebound but could not get enough power on his header to trouble Rui Patrício (£5.3m).

And then in the final 10 minutes, after Tyler Roberts (£4.6m) had played him through, Bamford unleashed a rising finish across goal and beyond Patrício, only to see it ruled out for a tight offside.

RAPH WITH THE SMOOTH

Raphinha (£5.4m) owners were also subjected to a teasing performance, the mid-priced midfielder very unlucky not to come away with a clutch of attacking returns.

In the 19th minute, he found Cooper with a free-kick delivery from the right, the centre-back unable to get adequate purchase on the ball.

Just after the interval, Luke Ayling (£4.4m) crossed into Raphinha at the near-post only for Conor Coady (£4.8m) to make a timely block.

Then between the 62nd and 70th minute, the Brazilian midfielder watched Cooper spurn three separate opportunities from corners.

Had they fallen to Pascal Struijk (£3.9m) or Bamford, perhaps it would have been a different story.

In the closing stages of stoppage time, Raphinha’s speculative ball forward was seized upon by substitute Hélder Costa (£5.0m) who snatched at the finish despite the space in front of him.

And seconds later, Raphinha’s near-post header was turned around the post by Patrício, ensuring a match that could have produced a big haul turned out to be his first blank (in terms of attacking returns) since Gameweek 19.

Still, his high number of key passes, compared with a swathe of off-target shots opened the door for Raphinha to claim two bonus points in his first Double Gameweek 25 outing.

LINE-UP LESSONS

With Wolves lining up as an unchanged team for the first time in the league since Gameweek 8, the more interesting formation at Molineux was Leeds’.

Having tried and largely failed to ask other members of his squad to fill in for Phillips this season, Bielsa went for a different approach entirely by not directly replacing him.

“It’s not the first time (Phillips) has been absent. We have played well without him. Of course, he’s a big player but we have to adapt.” – Marcelo Bielsa

Instead, the Leeds manager moved away from the usual 4-1-4-1 shape and opted for 4-4-1-1 instead.

Mateusz Klich (£5.2m) and Jamie Shackleton (£4.8m) played as traditional central midfielders on Friday night with the extra man not behind them, but in front of them instead.

Bielsa handed that role to Roberts who sat just behind Bamford and would have come away with an assist were it not for a VAR call.

With Klich and Shackleton in the middle, Stuart Dallas (£5.0m) was returned to the left-back position after a prolonged spell in midfield. Ezgjan Alioski (£4.4m) was the man to make way, appearing only as a second-half substitute.

Struijk’s pairing with Cooper at centre-back ensured Luke Ayling (£4.4m) returned to right-back.

Wolverhampton Wanderers XI (3-4-3): Patrício; Saïss, Coady, Dendoncker; Jonny, Moutinho, Neves, Semedo; A Traoré, W José, Neto.

Leeds United XI (4-4-1-1): Meslier; Dallas, Cooper, Struijk, Ayling; Harrison, Klich, Shackleton (Hernández), Raphinha; Roberts; Bamford.

Sign up to free tournament with Football Index this weekend

Check your latest FPL rank LIVE on LiveFPL.net every Gameweek

Full-year memberships are now available, as are monthly subscriptions. A FREE trial is now available.

1. Plagued by indecision

I have 5.0 ITB to get Kane for Antonio, and will probably TC. Stick with that plan or free hit?

I’ll have 6 GW29 players and can easily build towards 9 or 10 with FTs. Any thoughts welcome.

Current team:

Martinez (Pope)
    Cancelo / Stones / Shaw (Bednarek / Dallas)
    Salah / Gundo / Bruno / Raphinna (Saka)
    Bamford / Antonio / DCL

Would quite like Kane and Vardy up front with a Leicester mid (Barnes/Maddison)

1. St Pauli Walnuts

I'd stick with the original plan

2. Nightcrawler

Can get this for -4

No Brainer Bench Boost right????

DDG Martinez

Stones Cancelo Lowton Digne Dallas

Bruno Salah Maddison Gundogan Perreira

Kane Bamford Watkins

?

1. TorresMagic™

Your BB GK is your main source of points.

3. Dark Side Of The Loon!

Set up ok for 26:

Martinez
    Stones Rudiger Taylor
    Salah Bruno KDB Gundo Maddison
    Kane DCL

Fabri Vestergaard Struijk Davis

Thanks!

1. FantasyClub

I think wait and see how some players perform this week, might affect your decisions

2. FFS Ultras are for Kinnear

I'm surprised at the lack of Son in RMTs. He still has over 50% ownership.

3. Inazuma X1

Grealish injury (if injured) and DGW announcement after deadline has changed my chip strategy. Has that affected anyone else here? What are you thinking to do now?

1. FantasyClub

When did he get injured and how?

1. Inazuma X1

Just speculation and rumours right now, some of his team members/staff removed him from their FPL team and apparently he was not sighted in the training pictures

1. FantasyClub

I remember just a couple of weeks ago though when that was said about Raphinha I think or someone from Leeds and he played next game so I’m not gonna give it much wait til I see something reliable. Just tried googling, couldn’t find anything unless I didn’t look hard enough

2. Thomas Magnum

He hasn’t been pictured training plus some people at the club such as players and even the head performance analyst & physio have all sold him from their own FPL sides

2. Sturridge Wars

Tuchel pretty much confirmed the DGW. I activated WC 10 mins before deadline was confident it would get announced. Ended up going Barnes instead of Grealish

1. Inazuma X1

Yeah I wanted a LEI mid instead of Grealish anyways but no WC in my back pocket so was just thinking of playing Grealish. If he's out, you're in luck.

1. FantasyClub

If he’s not out he’ll want him back in ASAP though

2. Thomas Magnum

Yes, was planning on bench boosting after taking some hits but with him most likely being out there’s no real point in that now, already looking at taking a -4 and not really willing to take a -8 to offload him so most likely now looking at either FH or TC instead

1. Inazuma X1

No WC left?

1. Thomas Magnum

Still have my WC but don’t see the point in playing it right now as I don’t see many more opportunities to play the TC. With hindsight I should’ve played it last week so most likely will save it for gw30 or so now but still early in the week so will wait and see

1. Inazuma X1

Yeah makes sense

3. The 12th Man

Yeh it means I may replace Grealish with Salah or Mane and forget about Kane.

1. Inazuma X1

Do you at least have Son? No Spurs could hurt

1. The 12th Man

I do.

3. Inazuma X1

For DGW26, who will get more points?

1. Lloris
            2. Martinez

(Bottomed)

1. rnrd

Very close. Probably more saves from Martinez though

1. Inazuma X1

Have a feeling Leeds will score. Lloris can rack up some saves as well.. but not confident of their backline

1. rnrd

I wouldn’t capitalize too much on CS. Chris Wood can head one in in any game against any side from a set piece

4. rnrd

Could Targett be the one who benefits the most from Grealish injury?

1. Thomas Magnum

Possibly, but think overall the entire team struggles because the creativity he brings to the side is un replaceable

1. rnrd

Barkley and Sanson can create to be honest

2. Bushwhacker

Villa are a bang average mid table team. They’ve been struggling with Grealish of late ; backline is the best hopes they have. - but not for attacking returns.

5. Sturridge Wars

Would you bench boost this?

Martinez
            Dias / Shaw / Konsa
            Salah / Bruno / Gundo / Barnes / Raphinha
            Kane / Watkins

Bench: Ederson, DCL, Soyuncu , Striujk

1. Thomas Magnum

I personally would, still got TC?

1. Sturridge Wars

Yeah I do , but every man and his dog will use their TC on Kane and he will be the most popular captain choice so I’m not really missing out much as he will be my captain

1. Thomas Magnum

Thinking this also, even C Salah is tempting me but I don’t know if I’m brave enough. TC may come in handy later on

2. Sz21

DCL, Salah and Son are all fine alternatives to mention a few so I think we may see some variance. See how Kane and Spurs go this week.

1. Sturridge Wars

100% unless Kane gets injured he will be most captained. People using TC on him won’t be gaining much tbh

1. Top Mark.S

I dont understand thos logic. Is this not the exact situation every time this chip is used. Unless you play risky which is unwise your triple captain should be the most captained player in the gameweek. What am I missing here?

2. St Pauli Walnuts

100% 3 of the bench have DGWs and good ones too.

6. sminkypinky

My cautious approach has killed me tbh. This is my team:
            Marty Steer
            Digne Tarkowski Stones Dias Dallas*
            Son Salah Bruno Gundo Raphinha
            Antonio Ings Bamford

I was all set to wc25 and Bb26. No additional info meant i changed my plans, took a hit this week and am buggered next. Yes, I can field a decent 11 out of that. Even full 11 dgw’ers with a hit. I still have my WC but now there’s no point in using it this week (for my team), since i can’t use my BB if I do use WC and can’t field more than 11 if I don’t use my BB. Right. I’m hence probably left with Steer, Dallas, Raph and Bam on my bench. And thats not a bench boost. Not in my book.
            I’ve lately climbed a mountain. Clawed my way into ML lead, top 50k OR, had the success from long time planning, read info and chats here. Basically I used the time on fpl and it paid off. And I had a plan going forward. Which I decided to leave behind because fpl didnt confirm Crellins thoughts. I hate it! There defo won’t be a better time to BB. Largest dgw in fpl history. 17 games! That is massive! And here I am stuck with a team that will drop just because they couldn’t confirm it, I didn’t dare it and I’m fuming!!

Just to ease my mind, please tell me there’s someone else out there in my shoes...

.. or better yet: solve my problem for me. 🙂

Sorry. Long post of basically utter nonsense but had to get this off my chest. So thanks!

1. Top Mark.S

See my comment below.

Similar position to you.

Top 40k.

But I am legitimately okay with the way this played out. Cud still work in our favour

2. Thomas Magnum

Wait and see how it plays out mate, could still work out well for you in the long run, I also still have my WC as I also was a little overly cautious and optimistic but we may need it later on if a few bandwagons take off and people will be needing to tear up their teams with hits to afford them, if you get your C pick right then you’re in no worse position imo

1. sminkypinky

C is a big thing next week. I even thought of going reckless, leaving Kane out and going Vardy. All in as I’m in a pickle already. 🙂
                Your point about ”we may need it later if a few bandwagons take off sounds hopeful, not logical”.

1. sminkypinky

Nice misuse of quotes there mate.

3. RedLightning

Your bench looks perfectly reasonable for a Bench Boost to me. You just need to replace Steer with a playing second goalkeeper.

It isn't essential to have 15 DGW players for a decent Bench Boost, and many of those who do may find that not all their DGW players actually play both matches, that their squads are less well set up for the following Gameweeks, and that there may be a better opportunity to use their WC sometime later.

The majority of FPL managers, like yourself, did not play their WC yesterday.

I wasted my own Bench Boost in DGW19, but if I had your squad and still had Bench Boost available, I would be happy to play it next week.

7. Top Mark.S

Congrats to all who had the courage to push the wildcard button without fixtures announcement. I couldn't do it. Well played.

To those like me I offer a silver lining. Wildcard 30 or 31 is a decent alternative, maybe a better one.

I now plan to triple captain kane this week and build towards 29 knowing I have a get out if jail free wildcard to fall back on. Not the worst outcome

1. sminkypinky

Agreed. Well done those braver than us.
              TC is a nice chip for a comfort blanket next week. But it’s no BB (specifically for this big a dgw). I already wasted mine on Kdb’s double.
              It is what it is. Got to keep positive. Feel better having wrote that, but there’s an inkling of irritation still there going nowhere. Thanks for your response though mate! It helped.

2. Sz21

I played the WC but not sure I am excited about that either!

I think I'd take it back if I were offered again.

8. The 12th Man

If Grealish is indeed out thoughts on Grealish,Bamford >> Mane,Vardy.
            Can just about afford it.

1. Thomas Magnum

Sounds good imo, would Mane be a double up with Salah and will Vardy pair with Kane or will he be an alternative, would be very impressed if you Kane add those two whilst affording Salah and Kane also

1. The 12th Man

No it’s an alternative.
                1.6m short of that move.

2. The 12th Man

Salah and Kane

1. Thomas Magnum

In an ideal world I would want one of Salah or Kane but I guess this thinking means me and lots of others are overlooking Mane and especially Vardy who I believe both should do well in the upcoming weeks so I rate the moves either player could go off at any moment in any match

1. The 12th Man

Yeh, my thinking. It’s either that or
                    1. Get Kane and replace Grealish with Barnes or another Villa player.
                    2. Get Salah and change one of
                    Bamford > Werner
                    Raphinia > Barnes

9. Thomas Magnum

Will the remaining teams in the FA Cup get a double gameweek later on depending on their progression?

1. Inazuma X1

Nah. Their fixtures will be rescheduled in the midweek of the same GW. Right now only two fixtures remaining to be rescheduled which could lead to two more mini DGWs

1. Thomas Magnum

Who is yet to be rescheduled?

1. Inazuma X1

TOT v SOU
                  AVL v EVE

1. Thomas Magnum

Awesome, thanks a lot

10. Von Lipwig

A) Rash + Ings > Son + Kane
            B) Rash + Ings > Barnes/Maddisson + Kane

1. Holmes

11. Inazuma X1

Which teams have the best DGW fixtures according to you? For me the teams are -

1. Villa
            2. Everton
            3. Spurs
            4. City

Other than picking players from these teams and Salah + Bruno, is there anyone else who interests you?

1. Holmes

I like WBA's DGW more than Spurs (You can laugh!)

1. Bushwhacker

Laugh.

2. Thomas Magnum

I don’t fully disagree with you, people looking at the fixture and that’s it. Neither Burnley nor Fulham concede many goals granted I don’t expect them to keep clean sheets against Spurs and a Kane match winning goal in a 1-0 would see him getting 9 points but I don’t exactly see either team conceding heaps either of goals either especially if Mee is back for Burnley

1. Bushwhacker

Fit Son and Kane can score against anyone ; Fulham won’t park the bus.

1. Thomas Magnum

It is true they can score against anyone but how many will they score that will make it worth while

2. Bushwhacker

Spurs best.
              Everton second.
              Villa third.

City is irrelevant; nobody can touch their squad ; they’ll win by what they have to.

3. FantasyClub

Everton have good fixtures but aren’t good enough themselves

4. Bushwhacker

Everyone’s gonna look a right wally when Grealish strolls out Sunday with his girly handband on.

1. rnrd

I don’t think so.
                Several villa insiders have moved him out of their FPL team and this has always been a very reliable sign in the past.

2. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

He’s gone mate - 5 different Villa players/staff sold him just prior to deadline

3. The 12th Man

Wouldn’t mind looking like a Wally if he turned up. Lol

4. Bushwhacker

Brendan’s going to be mighty upset when he does.

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Denial > anger > bargaining > depression > acceptance

1. Bushwhacker

Don’t even own him. If people can be manipulated by rumors of back room staff ditching assets then that’s an awesome way to upset the apple cart for the oppositions plans.

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

You’re at the denial stage though whether you own him or not

1. lawsy009

Has anyone actually seen the teams of the Villa staff taking them out of their teams though? I've heard the rumour but if no-one has actually seen it then I'll wait and see how it plays out. Would save me a dilemma if he is injured mind, don't want to get rid of him if fit going into DGW26, but going in without Son at present!

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Yeah Targett, Hourihane & Neil Taylor’s teams are floating about - all sold

Heaton didn’t sell but his team is dead & he’s had Grealish captain for about 10 weeks

McGinn didn’t own him to start with

1. lawsy009

Thanks man, I'll have a look. I checked McGinn's as that's the only one I knew from Villa who played the game. Seen that he sold Watkins which worried me slightly! Ha ha! Appriciate the help, mate!

2. FantasyClub

Same thing happened with a Leeds player couple weeks ago then he strolled our onto the field. I’ll believe it when I see it. Mind games

3. Bushwhacker

I think I’m just at the stage of laughing at the depths people trawl.

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Possibly progressing a little towards anger now, but definitely still a lot of denial

You can experience the stages in different sequences and sometimes concurrently so don’t worry, acceptance is the final destination

1. Emp

But he might be back next week still? 🙁 I really need him now

5. rnrd

For those who have BB and TC left, Tottenham possible DGW32 just prior to the efl final is a quite a bittersweet prospect. There will probably be rotation in the second game of the double for spurs which makes the TC chip difficult to deploy for those games.
                If you BB in 26 when do you plan on playing your TC then?

6. Dosh

DGW26 free hit draft thoughts?

Ederson
                Cancelo Digne Davies
                Bruno KdB Son Barnes
                Kane DCL Watkins

1. G-Whizz

Save your FH...

7. King Kohli

Best 7th attacker on WC?

A. Barnes
                B. Watkins

Salah Bruno Son Gundo
                Kane DCL

8. Von Lipwig

Any advice here lads? Got 12 doublers for GW26 atm (just triple leeds don't have double)

Martinez
                Cancelo AWB Lowton Targett
                Gundo Sterling Rash Bruno Raphina
                Watkins Kane(c)
                (Pope Bamford Raphinha Dallas)

1FT 0ITB

A) Rash > Barnes
                B) Rash > Son
                C) Keep Rash for the double and save FT
                D) Keep Rash for the double and change 1 Leeds to a doubler and bench boost

9. sminkypinky

If you were doing transfers now for next week:

A) Kane+Maja
                B) Vardy+Watkins

This tinkering is all leading me away from gettin Kane. I must be doing it wrong.

1. Del Griffith

Kane Watkins DCL is looking good

1. FantasyClub

DCL will look good if he does well this GW

2. Holmes

3. FantasyClub

Is there no way you can get Kane and Watkins?

4. Party time

Ings hat trick to spice things up a little bit

1. FantasyClub

My gut was telling be different captain Ings instead of Bam. Ings night blank though too

2. Von Lipwig

Bench boost with:
                        (Pope Bamford Raphinha Dallas)

????

1. Von Lipwig

Could do Dallas > Davies for free

1. Boss Hogg

Davies move sounds good.

3. Boss Hogg

a. Bamford to Watkins (-4)
                        b. Play Bamford

1. FantasyClub

Watkins

2. FantasyClub

I’m unsure who to TC...Kane or Son?

Burnley fixture suited to Kane and Fulham to Son I think

1. Boss Hogg

See how they both look against West Ham.
                              I’ve got both and am currently on Kane but let’s see how they play first.

1. FantasyClub

Yeah agree

2. Boss Hogg

Is Coufal to Davies worth a hit?
                              The alternative would be to play bamford.

1. nicholasporteous

2 ways of thinking about this
                                A) is Davies going to score you 4 more points than Coufal? Maybe, but every chance Davies scores you 4 points.
                                B) long term value in the move as fixture swing for West Ham.

Last year, I'd go with A. This year, I'm forcing myself to be patient and not blinded by DGW... Not always worked out

3. greenybne

Would you take a -4 to get Lloris in? Surely he’s good for at least 10 points this GW?

1. nicholasporteous

If you are also thinking about BGW 29 then good shout!

4. nicholasporteous

Would love some help on this!

I'm BB this week, but want to get Kane in and can't bring myself to drop any of my premiums to do so.

Thoughts:

Martinez (Peacock-Farrel)
                              Shaw, Cancelo, Stones, Targett, Digne
                              Gundo, Bruno, Salah, Son, Barnes
                              Bamford, Antonio, Ings.

Thinking of doing:
                              P-F + Antonio + Digne -> 4.5 GK, Watkins, 5.6 Def

0.2itb and wanting Kane

5. Mido4385

Need some help pls all for next few GWs

Digne + Antonio to Dier/Sanchez + Kane for -4?

Yea or Nay