Dugout Discussion

Cavani back in United XI as Solskjaer explains absence of Martial and de Gea

After drawing a blank in the goalless draw with Chelsea at the weekend, Fantasy Premier League’s leading points-scorer and most-owned player will attempt to resume normal service at Selhurst Park.

Bruno Fernandes’ (£11.6m) sub-par record against the ‘big six’ is well documented but his output against the rest of the division is exemplary, with 26 attacking returns in 19 such games this season.

The Portugal international unsurprisingly is involved from the start against Crystal Palace this evening but there are one or two eyebrow-raising selections in Ole Gunnar Solskaer’s starting XI, most notably between the posts.

David de Gea (£5.3m) isn’t involved in the visitors’ matchday squad at all as Dean Henderson (£5.2m)makes just his third start of the season.

Anthony Martial (£8.7m) is also missing, with Solskjaer explaining ahead of kick-off:

Anthony got a knock in training on Monday in his knee, not ready for this, hopefully for the weekend but we’re not sure yet.

That’s personal reasons [why de Gea isn’t involved].

Edinson Cavani (£7.9m) returns from injury to lead the line, with Eric Bailly (£4.8m) and Nemanja Matic (£4.7m) also recalled.

Making way are Daniel James (£6.2m), Victor Lindelof (£4.8m) and Scott McTominay (£4.9m).

Crystal Palace make just the one change from their goalless draw with Fulham at the weekend.

James McCarthy (£4.3m) replaces Jairo Riedewald (£4.4m) in the engine room, while Connor Wickham (£4.4m) and Jeffrey Schlupp (£5.3m) returning from lengthy lay-offs on the bench.

Wilfried Zaha (£7.1m) isn’t involved despite a recent comeback to training.

Crystal Palace XI: Guaita, Ward, Cahill, Kouyate, van Aanholt, McCarthy, Milivojevic, Ayew, Eze, Townsend, Benteke.

Manchester United XI: Henderson, Wan-Bissaka, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, Matic, Bruno, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood

Check your latest FPL rank LIVE on LiveFPL.net every Gameweek

Full-year memberships and monthly subscriptions are now available.

1. Steve The Spud

Should I be worried about spurs v palace?

Have palace tightened up or united just their usual awful self away from home against small teams, didn’t watch the game

1. Catastrophe

I wouldn't worry, I think Spurs will score a few.

2. pingissimus

Yep

Palace have definitely tightened up. This was very much the Palace of the past 2 seasons - different outlook completely. I'm now disregarding earlier defensive stats. I'd regard the Brighton and Fulham games as a preseason really for this. They'll be better for having Zaha as an outball too.

No Bale of course but Palace in this mode held Spurs comfortably at the end of last season. An early goal could change things perhaps but I wouldn't see more than 2 goals in the game.

Remember too that Burnley committed Hari kari against Spurs and left acres of space,

3. PastaConcerto

I would not worry...United was very slow and lethargic when they were not repeatedly giving the ball away. They were lucky to get a draw out of it.

2. JONALDINHO

Daily fun fact.

Penandes has 2 open play goals in his last 13 games. Over half of his goals since joining United have in fact been pens.

1. Alisson WondHaaland

As if no one knew

2. Dirty Harry

Hence the nickname?

3. FantasyClub

I’m quite sure you’re wrong, not over half. I think it’s sitting at about half

• Keep Calm and Play On

Wow he’s almost as bad as Firmino...../s

4. Alisson WondHaaland

Dias with no clean sheets scores equally to Shaw with 2. Nice

5. tom_p77

Bottomed....

Martinez~Pope
      Cancelo~Stones~Targett~Digne~Shaw
      Bruno~Gundo~Raph~Barnes*~Son
      Kane~DCL~Bamford

A) Pope > Forster / Stones > Rudi / Son > KDB (-8)
      B) Pope > Forster
      C) Barnes > Jota
      D) Something else....

1. tom_p77

1FT
        0.6 ITB

6. Jon Snow

Sitting on a 5.5M GW rank, can anyone beat that? Bigger number is better right...?

1. jason_ni

For this season I've had a 6mill.. so easily beats your 5.5!

7. Don Kloppeone

So for this to end a good GW, I need Son to blank and Everton to concede....

I think my GW turns sour tomorrow!

8. Dirty Harry

Those still holding WC, are you holding out till GW30/31?

1. OneDennisBergkamp

i'm tempted to do it this GW, but looking to probably hold to see if Villa get a DGW in 28

2. Flair

I will WC31

3. gogs67

Depends if we get this huge DGW 37 with no 38 lol

1. Dirty Harry

Saaaaywuuuuutt

1. gogs67

One of the mad theories that if fixtures would get moved to accommodate the fans returning a whole GW would merge with another into one massive week
                I didn't quite understand it!

2. FPLHaggis

WC33 if DGW32 happens (Used FH)

Otherwise WC31.

3. Alisson WondHaaland

31 is the no brainer move imo

1. Boss Hogg

Why 31?

1. OneDennisBergkamp

i dont get it either

2. Tigers Time

Because the fixtures swing from that game onwards.

• OneDennisBergkamp

when will we know if Villa/Everton double in 28?

1. 1912 F.A Cup Winners

Ah I was literally just about to ask this mate!!

1. OneDennisBergkamp

So far this season, the Premier League have been moving postponed fixtures to the earliest possible date (while avoiding clashes with other PL teams playing in Europe).

A 6pm kick-off in the midweek of Gameweek 28 is the earliest possible date for Aston Villa vs Everton.

Aston Villa vs Everton could be moved to another Champions League midweek (GW 30/31/33/34) or it could be moved to the free midweek in GW37.

But if the Premier League are trying to play all their postponements as quickly as possible, Aston Villa vs Everton will be moved to GW28.

@BenCrellin

2. FFSbet.com

1min after deadline,same as DGW26

3. Baps hunter

Before the deadline, I would assume. But it is unfortunately looking more and more unlikely. They could have published it already if it was going to happen.

4. FPLHaggis

Such announcements have been 10-11 days prior to the event so far. If it's gonna happen, I think we will hear on Friday.

• Boss Hogg

WIll McCarthy come back into the Saints line-up this weekend? Or is Forster now the first choice?

1. OneDennisBergkamp

i would guess Forster gets a run now

2. Rotation's Alter Ego

Guessing Forster is set for a run but pressers might help.

If you own McCarthy and you're thinking what to do, I probably wouldn't risk keeping him unless you have a decent backup.

If you're considering buying Forster then he's the most likely 4.0 to play regardless so you might as well buy. Wish I hadn't saved the 0.1 by getting Fabri now!

• Warby84

Fulham have played PAL/SHU/BUR/WHU last 4, Spurs will be a different proposition.. I think it’ll be a 2/3-0

1. Warby84

I know West Ham beat Spurs but I don’t think Fulham will be able to cope with Spurs tomorrow eve...

2. FPL Pillars

Fulham seem to have a good thing and momentum going, think it’ll be an interesting one

3. how now brown cow

They've only let 3 in once this season.

Only let in more than 1 twice in 15.

• Rotation's Alter Ego

Wonder what the success rate of the bench boost chip is? Must be low.

Obviously depends what you count as a success, but I'm pretty certain 18 (18/19 season) is my best by quite a way when playing it despite us always talking about 2x2x4=16 being the benchmark for a full doubling bench.

Not a fan of it or TC honestly.

1. JONALDINHO

Between people wasting transfers to bring in players for a bench boost and then to get them out again. Also the fact a lot of funds are tied to your bench meaning your actual 11 isn’t as good. Combine these and most people won’t even make 5 pts

1. FFSbet.com

Agree,will use it GW1 next season

2. Rotation's Alter Ego

Absolutely spot on. Year after year I torpedo my team trying to prepare for a good BB and end up with net negative points. Tried gearing up for a BB this week and had to bail after injuries, meaning I ended up missing out on Martinez's recent hauls (bar this week) due to playing Pope, among other poor decisions.

1. Alisson WondHaaland

This this this. Its a bad chip. In the long run it can more often than not hurt your total score. This is why Triple captain is so good, can almost never negatively effect you

3. The Artist

Not always the case. The only transfer I made to play on my active bench was Areola (in for Forster). The rest were just the SGW players in my squad, so I didn't really add a lot of weight to the bench in normal, non-BB GWs moving forward.

I took a -12pt hit to make 4 substitutions, but every one was a non-playing player out for a DGWer in. At this point I'm +20pts from the DGWers who came in, and all 4 have another game to play, so I'm starting to change my perspective on points hits!

4. Baps hunter

That is not a good strategy. I took -16 to ditch Rashford for example to have players with good fixtures going forward (Kane for example). And WC will sort the issue of money being spread.

5. pingissimus

Have long thought that BB to WC is the way ahead and not the other way round.

2. The Artist

I've gotten 11pts + Areola to play so far with my deployment this week. So not anywhere nearly as useful as the FH was. But I'm not really kicking myself, as Leeds blanking against Villa (I had Dallas and Bamford on my bench) wasn't a high probability event!

3. FFSbet.com

Yeah BB and TC not worth it,FH most important

1. Rotation's Alter Ego

I hate how luck-based TC feels.

Owned Salah and Mane last season going into one of their doubles, and was genuinely 50 50 between the two. Can't remember the exact scores but the swing was massive (something like 15 vs 1 in favour of Salah was it?). I was on the right side that time, but couldn't help but feel for those that leant the other way and lost out massively on a marginal call.

4. waldo666

Bin em all except WC for mine.

1. Rotation's Alter Ego

I enjoy FH in fairness, brings some excitement and variety to my team for one week, plus helps through some of the ridiculous blank gameweeks. Plenty of other chip ides in use by other games (Allsvenskan, Gaffr etc etc) that would surely be more welcome than the other two though.

1. waldo666

Yeah I can understand that, I guess I long for a simpler time when there were no chips.

5. Better off with a pin and a…

BB and TC have earned me a total of 10 points this season. I can't remember a season where I've done really well out of them. Just hope the FH can do better!

6. jia you (The No BS League -…

both rubbish chips that should be gotten rid of imo, I'll use BB in GW1 again next season for sure!

1. Rotation's Alter Ego

I feel like I vaguely remember you doing really well off a GW1 BB, was it last season?

May be completely misremembering but used to scoff at the idea - doesn't seem that mad now, given how my GW 1 bench tends to always do very well. Consider me converted.

1. jia you (The No BS League -…

done pretty well a few seasons doing it... 22 this season was decent too looking back

7. thegaffer82

I’ve had some success with BB before. I forget the exact figures, but I’ve had like 20-odd points a couple of times. Total failure this time though (10 with Holgate to go)
            But TC has been an absolute joke for me. A few 1pt x3 and my highest has been when Kun got 7pts in his first game and missed the 2nd in a DGW.

Fair bit of luck involved in nailing either chip I think.

8. The Suspended One

It’s not as simple as just adding up the bench points, Setting up for the bench boost also gives you three picks that you wouldn’t have normally played, it allows you to cast a wider net so I think you need to look at points over average.

It’s obviously important that you don’t hurt your other gameweeks preparing for it but I tend to look at it as the opposite, it gives me more options to navigate surrounding weeks

• jia you (The No BS League -…

47pts Jebus wept

1. Don Kloppeone

? You’re on 59pts with 4 to play.

Yes not a great week but there are plenty left!

1. jia you (The No BS League -…

59 - 12 mate! Rubbish GW tbf

1. Don Kloppeone

Oh crud ok yeh that sucks!

We all have those weeks where it all goes wrong.

See each GW as a new start

12 new starts to go!

1. jia you (The No BS League -…

cheers bud, got unlucky with both Maddison and Grealish crocked in my team for this double

1. Don Kloppeone

If it helps I did these moves:

Son, Ings > Kane, Barnes (-4)

Fortunately I played Kane TC but otherwise this burns!!!

2. Rupert The Horse

He always looks like he will.

• 1912 F.A Cup Winners

Who should I get for Grealish folks??? Son or Bale???

1. Warby84

Son

1. 1912 F.A Cup Winners

Cheers mate, both too much??

• SB007

Why peeps overlooking Grealish? Lindgard trap

1. Champions League Varane

Injury brother

1. SB007

He plays on weekend so all good.

1. The Suspended One

Lol

• SB007

My bench has 33 with one left to play

1. FPL Pillars

Oh deary me (unless you BB then congrats that’s amazing)

1. SB007

I did BB!!

Martínez Son Vardy Fernandez 🙂

1. The Suspended One

That not your bench, those are your starters

1. Baron Penguin (FKA Hadebayo…

Putting starters on your bench and calling it a BB doesn’t count!

1. Max City

haha

2. Max City

Total score = ??

1. SB007

95 with DCL still to play

• Chandler Bing

Is Mount a good option going forward? Chelsea do have the fixtures but I wonder if he's worth punting on

1. Garth Marenghi

meh

• thegaffer82

83 with a few more to go and Kane captain isn’t too bad I suppose. But I just can’t escape the feeling it’s been an awful GW.

McCarthy, Barnes, Lowton, Cancelo, Gundo, Raph, Salah, Bruno all disappointed or didn’t play games. BB was a fail too.

• SB007

Sometimes the DGw are massively hyped - that aids the disappointment.

1. Dirty Harry

May as well roll the dice

2. Baps hunter

Yes, I guess it's psychological. I have 95 - 16 atm but had high hopes of Barnes and I didn't have guts to ditch Dier. Therefore I am not too happy atm. Selling Rashford to fund Kane was correct move even with hindsight, but margins are small.

• Rains of Castamere

95pts thanks to AWB and Maguire double Utd defence. Up to 4.4k overall, just got Kane TC, Son and DCL left.

1. Bushwhacker

Maguire should have been fined points tonight.

• Shark Team

Who to bench?
          A) Raphinha WHU(A)
          B) Bamford WHU(A)
          C) Watkins WOL(H)
          D) None if you think all of them will return pts

1. Rains of Castamere

Regrettably Raphinha

1. Boss Hogg

That’s a good name for a perfume.

2. Hy liverpool

3. pingissimus

Bamford over Raphinha but probably Watkins over both of them

4. Max City

I'm playing Dallas and benching Bamford..

• Boss Hogg

Who to play in dgw27...

a. Martinez
          b. Forster

???

1. DA Minnion (Legendary manag…

Martinez

2. tbos83

Forster with Martinez subbing in if he doesn't start

3. SB007

When is the Av v Everton match rescheduled. 28?

1. Hy liverpool

No 1 nose

1. Boss Hogg

Took me a while to understand what “number one nose” meant.

4. chrismoo75

Feel that I have had a completely turd week despite green arrow to 9k (80-8) on the grounds that I picked Vardy vs Kane, DCL instead of Watkins, which then meant I could only afford Mitchell vs Spurs/Everton def. Then changed captain from Son to Salah.

Could have been soo much better

1. DA Minnion (Legendary manag…

Watkins is crap. Dcl still has to play again.

5. Krafty Werks

Who would you say wins here? Semi-final of my cash league cup and we're currently on exactly the same score!!

A - Areola, Richarlison, DCL(C), Kane.

B - Son, Maja, DCL, Kane(TC).

1. Baron Penguin (FKA Hadebayo…

6. Baron Penguin (FKA Hadebayo…

Barnes to Lingard or take a punt on Barnes to Bale and Pope to fodder (have Martinez) for -4?

1. waldo666

I like the Lingard move.

2. SB007

Grealish

7. BigBillyBass

Can we all join together and pay our respects and have a moment of silence for the Bruno triple cappers tonight.

1. Baron Penguin (FKA Hadebayo…

After Mané last year I’d call it a win.

2. pingissimus

Comfortably ahead of DCL TCers right now 🙂

3. Hazz

Tbh I was petrified and can't believe he's come away with noting.

Really need Kane to take advantage, but don't have high hopes.

4. DA Minnion (Legendary manag…

2 pointer for Kane tomorrow .

1. Hazz

Big goal and BAPs to come

8. DA Minnion (Legendary manag…

Pointless having just Son Kane and Dcl.
            Rank drop imminent.

9. Max City

After stuck for long at 140k, now I finally went down to 190k

10. Champions League Varane

Is the DGW28 “likely” to go ahead??