Pro Pundits - Lateriser

How I am coping with football fatigue in a tough FPL season

We are into Gameweek 32 of this brutal season and being frank, a lot of Fantasy Premier League managers are just about managing to scrape through to the finish line.

Huffing and puffing through this condensed season, a lot of FPL managers are approaching burn-out levels and it might be a good idea to tackle this issue with this article (thanks for the suggestion @FPL_Beard), especially with the amount of people deciding to quit this game recently.

This week, I was listening to the latest episode of the brilliant FPL Surgery Podcast where the FPL General’s ‘how to deal with bad Gameweeks and bad seasons’ made for a very interesting listen.

We are at the back end of a gruelling season. There are many reasons for managers to feel FPL fatigue at the moment. I’m not even sure if its just fatigue about FPL, considering the sheer number of hours we have football on in long and dragged-out Gameweeks. As FPL managers, we are used to maybe watching two or three matches during a weekend and now there are some days where we have ten hours of football in a single day.

The best Neto replacements and whether FPL managers should stick with Fernandes

I am convinced these long drawn-out Gameweeks are the primary reason for football fatigue and so many managers I speak to now just find watching the sport to be a little bit of a chore and I completely empathise with that. What makes it even more drawn out is that we are still very much in the middle of a pandemic and our social lives are not as active as they used to be.

Even the break we had before the season started was a lot shorter than what we’re used to. It was barely a break if you ask me. And now we have a lot more matches condensed in a much shorter time period. Until recently, this has even affected the quality of the football that we’ve been watching. Nowadays, I find myself tuning out of games and avoiding watching football a lot more than I used to. The international break has definitely changed things though and the quality in the last two Gameweeks in the Premier League has been a lot better. A welcome change.

But yes, if you’re finding your love for football and FPL to dwindle this season, know that you’re not the only one. These are uncertain times. They are the anomaly, not the norm. Still, many will be wondering how one tackles football and FPL burnout. Well,  here are a few suggestions.

PICK YOUR GAMES

You don’t have to watch all the Premier League games to do well in FPL. We never saw all the matches in normal seasons when there were five or six games kicking off at the same time anyway. If you ask me, watching Match of the Day and absorbing some statistics is enough to do well in FPL. Give yourself some time off from football and that should definitely help dealing with FPL burnout.

WHEN YOU’RE SWITCHED OFF, STAY SWITCHED OFF

Does early FPL team news really provide an advantage?

Often when I’ve decided to not watch a game during a Gameweek, I find myself distracted while ‘doing that other activity’ I had planned to do because I’ll constantly be looking at Twitter, my FPL Whatsapp groups and there will be constant notifications from your football apps.

And considering that we have 15 to 20 hours of football to get through every Gameweek, and you’re not able to switch off when you switch off, burnout will naturally happen.

What I’ve started doing in the second half of the season is just have a little bit of a digital detox. I switch off notifications (highly recommend this for most of your applications so that you’re deciding when to check your phone instead of letting your phone decide that for you) on all my apps on weekends and try staying off my Whatsapp groups and Twitter.

Social Media around FPL has grown tremendously during the last few years and if you’re an active part of the forums and Twitter, on matchdays it’ll seem like every goal that is scored by someone is highly owned by everyone else but you. This isn’t actually the case and can be unnecessarily damaging for you to believe it.

MAKE YOURSELF MISS FOOTBALL AND FPL

Do other things. I find that if I have managed to successfully switch off for a day or two, I really enjoy catching up on things on the third day because I’ve truly switched off when I’ve needed to (probably not as often as I should but that’s my choice as a content creator).

I am hopelessly addicted to FPL and when I give myself genuine time off doing other things for a couple of days, the love for the game comes gushing back on the third day where I truly enjoy my interaction, writing and consuming football and FPL content.

Trying to box your time during FPL and other things will really really help. You can cheat a little with how you box things and its perfectly okay to have your score update applications on during Gameweeks but I would highly recommend switching off social media during matchdays, although it all comes down to your preference and how you can handle things.

FIND SOMETHING TO PLAY FOR

If, like me, you are having a poor season, you need to indulge in little mini-games and find something to play for. I am currently ranked outside the one-million mark and I raised the white flag a few weeks ago when it comes to overall rank.

So all I’m doing is getting players and differentials I like and trying to catch some differential hauls. I know managers that are taking multiple hits every week trying to achieve Manager of the week (because the hits don’t count) and I admire that because they are doing what they are doing to keep their interest alive in the game.

On a personal note, I will admit it is a little bit of a relief to give up on the season and has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me when I’m watching the matches owning players that I like. Yes, you can throw the ‘points are fun’ argument in my face but I’ll argue that it is entirely subjective. I’ve concluded that I am not going to achieve my Overall Rank goal this year and a Sergio Aguero (£10.3m) goal when he’s in my team will give me a lot more joy than a 200k green arrow at this stage. My advice on FPL will definitely be more rational than the moves I make and I’m completely okay with that.

A little bit of a sidetrack, but I’ve done some reflection on my poor decision making in 2020/21 and I’m chomping at the bit to start next season. That’s one thing you will always have when you’re having a poor season. The lessons learned during a poor campaign are usually more helpful than if you’ve had a good one and, of course, my motivation to make up for it in 2021/22 is very high. Not to mention the fact that I have the privilege to write and create podcasts definitely keeps the fire burning.

CONCLUSION

I hope you find some of my ideas helpful. I believe it is entirely feasible to play FPL, enjoy and do well in the game even by putting healthy thought-processes in place to protect our mental state.

These are only my suggestions, so please treat them as such. I am curious to know what you are doing to combat football and FPL fatigue, so feel free to let me know in the comments section.

Here is hoping we do not have staggered kick-offs next season. Never forget. FPL itself is not a sport. It’s a game.

If you want more detailed thoughts on the best FPL players to own for the run-in, Zophar and I discussed the fixture-swings, differentials and teams to target for the home-stretch in our latest episode of The FPL Wire which you can view below.

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £25.00. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £3.99. A FREE trial is now available.

1. Lateriser 12

Hope you enjoy this article. Genuinely do feel the football fatigue because it's on all the time.

1. Zen Arcade

I totally agree.

When the Premier League first started, televised matches felt special because there were only two a week - one Super Sunday and one Monday Night Football, IIRC.

Whoever was on live - even if it was Blackburn v Oldham - I used to get really excited about it. Sky’s build up was actually a plus in those days.

I think that football had lost the ability to see that less is more across the sport even pre-COVID and that the coverage had become oversaturated. No one needs a Premier League fixture at 8pm on a Saturday night in addition to noon, tea time and all day Sunday. Now COVID means every single game is on TV and it’s just too much.

The saddest thing for me is the decline of the 3pm kick off. I do not think we will ever see more than four of those in the top flight again.

On the horizon we also have this expanded Champions League to “look forward” to. That’s just going to mean yet more midweek football to add to the feeling of oversaturation.

It’s easy to say “don’t watch it” and it’s right, but football’s a lifelong obsession for me so it’s not that easy to do!

1. Zen Arcade

3pm Saturday that is.

2. Lateriser 12

On point with everything you said.

3. Silecro

I, for one, absolutely hate this televised s**t. One of the most enjoyable experiences in FPL was saturday afternoon, 5 games at the same time in 3pm, flash score app buzzing like crazy from goals all over

1. Lateriser 12

Anyone has any idea if this is going to come back next season?

1. circusmonkey

I think they will keep the schedule as it is, with the exception of the early Monday game. I'm being cynical but realistic. Spain already had the 10 kick off times thing before the pandemic.

Nobody is making you watch any games though and if you're fortunate enough to be able to do that, it is hard to expect sympathy.

Phrases like huffing, puffing, burn-out, gruelling and chore make it sound like hard physical labour for a nasty boss.

Great show as always. Thank you.

1. Lateriser 12

Of course but it is still something a lot of managers are struggling with.

2. Zen Arcade

I totally agree. A 3pm commentary on the radio and going around the grounds to get updates is great. Still happens, but with only 1 PL match.

3. Pukki Blinders

Most sports have scattered games nowadays mate. More TV revenue simple as that

4. Sharkytect

Absolutely miss the 3pm multi kick offs. 90 minutes listening to the radio with my dad, hearing updates from matches across all the English leagues. That was my Saturday afternoons as a kid.

Miss it so.

2. The 12th Man

I only watch the Everton games and pick one extra to enjoy.
      The other times I don’t look at my phone.
      Get involved with another sport. e.g. I enjoyed the Master last week. Took my mind off FPL. Mind yo I had fantasy picks in the golf. Lol
      The next 2 weeks will be the Snooker to take my mind off the football.

3. ZoumasBloomers

I agree and disagree. I think lockdown would have been a lot harder if there wasn’t constant football, but if I was in a country that was open then I’d hate it

1. The 12th Man

I think it’s the fact we’re being drip fed football. One or 2 matches a day is good in theory but not brilliant for your moral in FPL.
        There are other things one can occupy oneself with during lockdown.
        Hobbies,Other sport, housework,video games, etc. Just make football part of your life, not all of it.

2. Lateriser 12

Not saying football is a problem at all here.

3. Mweene

I live in Dubai and we've been able to do things pretty much as normal since September. Our weekends are Friday and Saturday which has helped as that means there is one day of the weekend which is completely football free.

The time difference has been an issue though as some games start at 11pm or midnight which is an absolute killer when I have to wake up at 6 in the morning.If it is an important game for my FPL team I cannot sleep though and I have to watch it - which leads to me being exhausted in the morning.

I personally cannot wait to get back to 3pm kick offs. There's no temptation to watch every game and most of the games are done in those 2 hours.

I'm having a great season so I do wonder how different the experience would have been if I wasn't...

4. AC/DC AFC

I agree with this.

Live sport has been a welcome release from house arrest!!

4. The Great Statuto

Hi Lateriser. Posted again as i missed the thread. So, I stopped listening out or following matches during the match day and avoided all programmes/newscasts etc that could tell you the score-not easy at first. I only consumed match of the day with a check of scout site early mornings with my breakfast. The MOTD approach helped greatly in providing an interest in matches because I didn't know in advance what was to happen or focussing my attention on goal scorers. It worked for me and was a throwback to my childhood when MOTD was the only outlet for football.

1. Lateriser 12

Nice that this has worked for you 🙂

5. A.J.

Unpopular opinion around these parts.

Many have said they've not enjoyed this season because of the slow drip feed of games throughout a gameweek because they are on at different times to cater for no fans in stadiums.

It's been the opposite for me. Being able to watch all my players and future targets has been a great help in making better decisions throughout the season.

1. Tango74

I prefer all matches at different times. I love football on sky tv.

People complained that in uk it was too expensive to watch games and now it’s u get double the games and they don’t like it ??

I a as m sure games go back to 3pm but less the better as easier to follow on fpl.

• Lateriser 12

Glad it helped you. Its a case of different strokes for different folks I guess.

• @ocprodigy

I appreciate the sentiment and yes in some ways of course there's upshot - to be honest the TV revenue has probably helped some of the Premier League clubs significantly with making up revenue, alongside giving everyone a full day of sport.

Personally for me, similar to others it feels like, I really miss the excitement of 3pm football kick-offs, it made this fantasy game more enjoyable seeing scores change and drop constantly in a short space of time. Also think it put the pressure off the morning and afternoon kick-offs as the majority of points were going to / had been scored so it made for more enjoyable watching as opposed to looking constantly for my fantasy players throughout a 10 hour period.

I really, really dislike two games on Mondays as well. That really drags out the evening in my opinion.

Fair play if it has been an advantage to you though!

2. Stejson

For me, the fatigue has come from this season being so very random. Constantly making what appear to be good, sensible decisions, only to see them repeatedly fail, is rather demoralising.
        I think it took until week 15 or something for me to have got to the same points score that I would have had had I just stuck with my gw1 team.
        Putting effort and research in that feels wasted is not fun.
        E.g. last week, city v leeds. Common wisdom is a city win with a few goals. Sensible to drop dallas. Instantly bites everyone in the backside

3. gooberman

Quite a timely article on the eve of another tediously long and drawn out gameweek with a maximum of 2 games per day! Just awful. I just want this season to end and get back to normality next season when hopefully we will have fans back.

I dont actually watch many games. I will watch games involving my team and only games were I have at least a couple of attacking players playing. I never watch matches when I only have defenders playing as I dont see the point in watching games and hoping that nothing happens. Football is tediously dull as it is and I wouldn't watch it at all if there was no FPL.

6. Nightf0x

Whixh?

A) stelring to salah
      B) stelring wood -4 to laca/cavani havertz/grenwod/moura (have bruno son kane)

7. OLLY G

Start Pope or Martinez?

Thanks.

8. dshv

1. Dias to shaw
      2. Neto to pereira/saka
      3. Save

* don’t have any bench.

9. Well you know, Triffic

It is self induced. Get off twitter and fpl WhatsApp groups for starters. If you are surrounded by multiple fpl outlets then one cannot complain about fatigue.

1. Lateriser 12

Yep. In total agreement. Not complaining. Only addressing it.

10. ZoumasBloomers

Fofana or Coady? Leicester are better than wolves but WBA scoring a lot more than SHU recently

1. The 12th Man

I think that’s a coin toss.

1. ZoumasBloomers

Yeah whichever one I choose will be wrong! Going to be a long week either way knowing I’ve picked a blanker or I have bench points

2. Ajax Hamsterdam

Can I throw Saïss in the mix ?

3. Ajax Hamsterdam

Go wolves

4. Pukki Blinders

Coady

11. Rondon9

Coady

12. MrPeabody7

Auba or Martial for this gameweek?

1. rebecs

Auba in hospital with malaria - v unlikely to play

1. No Kane No Gain

I think he made a poor joke comparing 2 injured players

13. Flynny

Morning. Rivals im chasing (50 points and they have chips) all have Bruno.

Who do I get to replace Sterling?

A....Bruno
      B...rashford
      C....greenwood
      D....maddison
      E....someone else

I can't see a viable, nailed alternative and think I'll just get Bruno....

Thanks

14. Ginkapo FPL

How many are feeling burned out from aspects of life and are blaming it on fpl?

1. ZoumasBloomers

I think if you’ve had an isolated week working from home with no family about etc and then you have a bad gameweek at the weekend it really elevates it.

I know for one when I’m out playing football on Saturday it massively reduces the pain when FPL goes wrong

1. Ginkapo FPL

You are clearly recognising the connection. I think its there for a lot of players.

For me my weeks are full of work and I'm burnt out by it come the weekend. Football prevents me feeling empty at the weekend in massive contrast.

For me the solution is to get myself back to sensible working hours again.

15. Hitthewall

Pick 3 to start this GW

A) TAA
        B) Coady
        C) Rüdiger
        D) Coufal
        E) Holding

GK is Mendy

• Daghe Munegu

Do you guys think Smith Rowe will start this gw ?

1. Pukki Blinders

1. Miguel Sanchez

A not sure B starts this GW

2. SHOWSTOPPERRR

Gundogan

3. La Roja

• Miguel Sanchez

Have no Bruno but have Salah, should I bring in Greenwood or Jota this GW?

A) Greenwood
        B) Jota

1. Pukki Blinders

Jota

2. SHOWSTOPPERRR

Jota.greenwood poor form

1. La Roja

Greenwood poor form? You clearly hiding under a rock sir

2. Pukki Blinders

ⓘ fact checkers claim this if false

3. The Knights Template

Greenwood

• Pukki Blinders

Are Son and Kane both lock ins for the run in?

Anyone getting rid of one after this week?

1. La Roja

Insane fixtures and nothing else to play for. Both stay

2. Miguel Sanchez

Might swap Son to Maddison next GW

3. Lindelol

I might have to move out son to get Salah

• The Great Statuto

Hi Lateriser. I stopped listening out or following matches during the match day and avoided all programmes/newscasts etc that could tell you the score-not easy at first. I only consumed match of the day with a check of scout site early mornings with my breakfast. The MOTD approach helped greatly in providing an interest in matches because I didn't know in advance what was to happen or focussing my attention on goal scorers. It worked for me and was a throwback to my childhood when MOTD was the only outlet for football.

• La Roja

How’s she looking?

Sanchez
        Cancelo Holding Dallas
        Son(TC) Salah Bruno Lingard
        Nacho Watkins Kane

Martinez Raphinha Digne Veltman

-8 hit taken with Tierney Gundo Wood ➡ Holding Lingard Nacho

1. Rhodes your boat

Looks good! Why son tc over kane?

1. La Roja

Because I’m chasing

• Zen Arcade

Another factor for me this season is the lack of crowds. I’ve sort of gotten used to it, but when I go back and watch goals when crowds were in you realise how amazing it is.

I miss the singing and the taking the p!ss out of each other as sets of fans the most.

I cannot wait to get to a game when this is over.

1. Christina.

btw, who the hell do you think you are to jump to the top of Div 3 in nirvana h2h last week?
          😉

1. Zen Arcade

Won’t last!

• Pukki Party

What are owners of following players doing? Arguments both for keeping and selling i guess.

A) Alonso
        B) DCL

1. Miguel Sanchez

Keep
          Sell

1. Pukki Party

How long is he out? Double coming up at some point, who are u bringing in?

1. Miguel Sanchez

Nacho

1. Pukki Party

Nice, already have him,

• jennmenn

FH question: Ure you using it on 33, or saving it incase of a fixture shuffle?

1. Lindelol

Saving it for DGW 35

• Atimis

GTG?

Mendy
        TAA/Castagne/Shaw
        Salah/Bruno/Son/Jota/Lingard
        Kane/Nacho

Foster/Rudiger/Holding/Davis

1. Zen Arcade

It depresses me that everyone has Son and all the defenders I want!

1. Atimis

Just WC last week mate 😉

• Bubi

Not sure about Castagne but rest are GTG.

1. Atimis

Thanks, Castagne was my def punt, can get rid after next 1/2 if Lei won't perform better in def

• Rhodes your boat

Gundo or raph to lingard?

1. La Roja

Gunduboy

• Kai

Coady to bag a brace

• HollywoodXI

Really pushing the boat out this with with my Konsa to Holding transfer. Gives me the money to transfer KDB to Salah next week though. Just feels very meh.

• The Train Driver

Shaw (BUR)
        Rudiger (BHA)
        Holding (FUL)
        Dawson (new)
        Phillips (lee)

Bench 2, currently on the last 2.

1. Atimis

Last 2, probably wouldnt overthink here

1. The Train Driver

Cheers

• George James

Morning.

Any of the below moves worth -4

A) Gundo >> Lucas

B) Lowton >> Rudiger / Coady

• AC/DC AFC

For some people the fun in FPL is the interaction.

For those who obsess about rank each week or bonus point i guess it can frustrate when it goes against you.

Just pick a few games and YouTube offers highlights.

Twitter etc you can pick and chose. Guess it's harder when you feel you've got points to prove.

The sun is out in England and the end of the season play offs, promotions and Cup Finals are all upcoming to enjoy real football at the business end of the season. And Euros too.

1. Lateriser 12

Definitely enjoy the interaction.