Scout Notes

FPL’s joint-cheapest player hauls as Hodgson discusses benching of Guaita

CRYSTAL PALACE 3-2 ASTON VILLA

by Colm Hayes

• Goals: Christian Benteke (£5.5m), Wilfried Zaha (£7.2m), Tyrick Mitchell (£3.8m) | John McGinn (£5.5m), Anwar El Ghazi (£5.2m)
  • Assists: Mitchell, Eberechi Eze (£5.8m) x2 | Ollie Watkins (£6.5m)
  • Bonus: Mitchell x3, Eze x2, Benteke x1

MITCHELL-IN STAR DISPLAY

Despite this being a low-key game for many reasons, FPL always has the ability to create joy (and pain in equal measure) despite the occasion.

Tyrick Mitchell (£3.8m) owners will have been particularly exuberant on Sunday afternoon.

It was already looking like a decent day at half-time for the budget defender, who will have made many starting XIs due to the Blank Gameweek 36 schedule.

The left-back, on his fourth consecutive league start, gained a first-half assist after Christian Benteke (£5.5m) headed his cross past Emi Martinez (£5.4m).

“It’s been an amazing season. It’s been a dream come true and I’m just buzzing. I didn’t think I would feature this much and I’m just thankful to the manager. I’ve learnt a lot, how hard it is in the Premier League week in, week out but I feel I’ve got a lot more confident.” – Tyrick Mitchell

But the best was yet to come, as Mitchell popped up in the box on 84 minutes to shoulder home Eberechi Eze‘s (£5.8m) shot to give Palace all three points.

“I was just gambling. I tried to go back post for the first cross and then when it went back out I thought I’d stay around. I just tried to be in the right place. I knew it hit my shoulder, for a second I was a bit scared [it would be disallowed].” – Tyrick Mitchell

That winning strike also earned Mitchell three bonus points, much to the further delight of his owners – who only had to endure a quick VAR check for handball before the goal was given.

On the defender, Hodgson said after full time:

Tyrick Mitchell got a round of applause when he walked into the room. That is something more deserving than that. His performance today was outstanding in every respect. To get an assist and the winner against a team of Aston Villa’s quality – happy days for him. Second half he combined extremely well with Eze and (Wilfried) Zaha. Often a part of chances.

He has got in the team before and had to drop out through injury. What he needs now is an injury-free period but he has all the qualities I think needed to be a very good Premier League left-back.

GET THE GUAITA

Vicente Guaita (£4.8m) was among the substitutes for the first time since 2018/19, with Jack Butland (£4.5m) handed a rare run-out:

Ahead of kick-off, Roy Hodgson said of his goalkeeping selection:

Jack Butland, we wanted to make certain he got a game, at least, before the end of the season. So Vicente stepped aside for him.

The operative words from that Hodgson quote are “at least”; one could read into the manager’s comments that may Butland earn another start over the final two Gameweeks of the season.

In his post-match press conference, Hodgson added:

Not a question of rotating the keepers at this moment. Vicente has been the No 1 keeper but it’s nice to know that the faith we have in Jack to play, nice to see that justified. He’s had to wait a long time. (Butland was) good, very good. Made one wonder-save, think it was offside anyway. But I thought he was very good.

SHOTS FIRED

While FPL bosses may not be targeting either of these teams for their assets, there is encouragement for attacking players facing both sides.

Between them, the two defences allowed over 40 efforts on goal during their Blank Gameweek 36 clash.

Crystal Palace face Arsenal (H) and Liverpool (a) in their final two matches of the season, while Aston Villa take on Spurs (a) and Chelsea (H).

The defensive displays from both sides in Gameweek 36 bode particularly well for those planning to captain Spurs and Liverpool players – namely Harry Kane (£11.8m) and Mohamed Salah (£12.8m) – in Gameweeks 37 and 38, respectively.

While investment is unlikely at this stage, Jack Grealish (£7.5m) could make the Villa XI for one of those two matches.

The midfielder was brought on after 63 minutes on Sunday, earning around a half-hour of pitch time.

Asked if Grealish will start in one of Gameweek 37 or Gameweek 38, Dean Smith responded:

I’m hopeful. He’s pushing, he’s had no reaction in his first game (against Everton) or today so he’s building those minutes.

Matt Cash (£5.0m) is out for the remainder of the season, while Tyrone Mings (£5.4m) is expected back for Gameweek 37.

“Cashy will miss the last two games. It is a recurrence of a hamstring injury. Nowhere near as bad as last time but enough to put him out for a couple of weeks. Tyrone should be fit for Wednesday.” – Dean Smith

Crystal Palace XI (4-3-3): Butland; Mitchell, Cahill, Kouyaté, Ward; Schlupp, McCarthy (Tomkins 73′), Eze; Zaha, Benteke, Townsend.

Aston Villa XI (4-2-3-1): Martínez; Targett, Hause, Konsa, Elmohamady; McGinn, D Luiz; El Ghazi (Wesley 87′), Ramsey (Davis 85′), B Traoré (Grealish 63′); Watkins.

SUNDAY’S OTHER GAMEWEEK 36 ACTION

by SkontoRigga

We’ll have full Scout Notes on the day’s other three Premier League matches to come on Monday.

For now, though, our whistle-stop tour around the Gameweek 36 fixtures at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the Hawthorns and Goodison Park rounds up the major talking points.

WEST BROMWICH ALBION 1-2 LIVERPOOL
Image

A dramatic, emotional, last-gasp goal from Alisson (£5.9m) kept UEFA Champions League qualification in Liverpool’s grasp at the Hawthorns on Sunday.

The Brazilian nodded in Trent Alexander-Arnold‘s (£7.7m) stoppage-time corner to hand the Reds all three points.

Six points for a goal seems like scant reward for such a rare occurrence but attacking returns and bonus points for Alisson and Alexander-Arnold at least compensated for yet another clean sheet loss: Jurgen Klopp’s side have recorded just four shut-outs in their last 18 matches.

Despite this, Alexander-Arnold has only blanked in one of his last eight appearances.

Mohamed Salah (£12.8m) has delivered a goal or assist in each of his last six starts, meanwhile, and it was his beautifully taken strike from a Sadio Mane (£11.7m) lay-off that restored parity after Hal Robson-Kanu‘s (£5.2m) opener.

Matheus Pereira (£5.4m) continued his fine form, with an assist for Albion’s goal his eighth goal contribution in the last seven Gameweeks.

And for those that missed the news: an injured Diogo Jota (£7.0m) wasn’t involved in the Black Country and will now be sidelined for the rest of 2020/21.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 2-0 WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS
Injured Jota out for the season as Mane returns to Liverpool starting XI

Harry Kane (£11.8m) set a new personal best for Fantasy Premier League points in a single campaign, with his goal in Tottenham Hotspur’s comfortable 2-0 win set to take him to the 230-mark once bonus is added.

Kane’s total of 35 goals and assists combined is just one short of his record set in 2016/17.

A goal was the bare minimum he could have expected: his total of seven shots was the joint-highest of Gameweek 36, with two of those efforts striking the woodwork.

Gareth Bale (£9.2m) made it 10 attacking returns in his last five starts at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, meanwhile, claiming the assist for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg‘s (£4.9m) goal when his saved shot fell into the path of the Dane.

In a further indictment of Jose Mourinho’s tenure, Spurs had 24 shots and 13 attempts on target in this match – both figures surpassed any amount they had in a single Premier League fixture under their former boss.

EVERTON 0-1 SHEFFIELD UNITED
FPL's joint-cheapest player hauls as Hodgson discusses Guaita benching

Everton sank to a new low at Goodison Park on Sunday, losing to relegated Sheffield United.

The Toffees’ have kept only two clean sheets on home soil all season and they were unable to add to their meagre total against the relegated Blades, a team that had taken only four points from a possible 51 heading into the game.

Teenage striker Daniel Jebbison (£4.5m) did the damage against the Toffees, tapping home from a Jack Robinson (£4.2m) cross – a goal that directly benefitted precisely 0% of the top 10k but one that would have caused much amusement to FPL managers without an Everton defender in their side.

Full-year memberships, monthly subscriptions and a FREE trial are all now available.

1. BGW36 — Rough with the smooth
    Legomané

With a short turn around before Tuesday’s GW37 deadline, how was your Blank Gameweek 36?

!

Did you manage to field 11 players? Did you use any chips? Were any of your players benched, or injured? ( Jota 🙁 ). Did your transfers pay off? How did your bench perform? Did your captain return?

Did your GK manage a penalty save?!

Share your tales of joy or woe, here:

1. Stormbringer22

Did not field 11 - Forster & Jota the only no-shows. Mitchell saved my week and I ended up with 10 points above the top 10K average and a green arrow, so happy with that. Had Kane(C)

2. Toby Lerone

Brought in Mahrez, Son(c) & Coleman for -8, Jota injured, Forster benched. Car crash week

1. PogBruno

Forster was always going to be benched accd to the managers comments?

3. PogBruno

Managed to field only 10 players on FH

4. No Professionals

Not too bad, 62(-4). Brought in Trent and Bale for Maguire and Fernandes (could live to regret that) for minor returns.

Watching replays of Kane (c) hitting the post ain't great for my mental health...

5. Super Saints

Ward 0 and Jota no show, captained Kane over Salah, Coufal Lingard DCL blanks, ended up with 50 points so didn't move from 15k

6. Little Red Lacazette

Disaster. -8 major fail. 38 points all out.

7. Gentle_Turks

Made a conservative free hit team as I have a small lead in a cash Ml so was more concerned about blocking my rival than my OR. Mahrez was my one differential pick, so that didn't go well. 54 points, a green arrow and increased ML lead by 9.

8. Geano

Freehit - 61 points.
        Rough - Went for Foden and Mahrez, but had Jota as first sub as always possibility one of them didnt play,
        Smooth (or some would say very lucky) - 2nd sub Mitchell and 3rd sub Struijk came in for 19 off the bench

• Dark Side Of The Loon!

Had an option of picking 11 out of 12 available options. Benched Mitchell. Those 13 benched points ruined the GW!

• Biggsy

Took a -8 and it paid off - getting me a net +7 points for the three I brought in.

Although pretty sure it was my decision a couple of weeks back to bring in Harrison ahead of an injured Raphina which has put me in my highest position of the season and within striking distance of a top 10k finish

• Arsene_Glenger

Danny welbeck broke my heart with triple west ham investment, the -4 for antonio proving a waste. Liverpool asset and captain salah really "saved" ne - 51 all out (-4) =47
          Green arrows - OR 308K

• fusen

I focused almost entirely on a cash h2h knockout match.

I won by 3 points, they had taken a -4.

I purposely didn't take a -4 as I wasn't confident of any guaranteed returns from a transfer.

Two weeks in a row where I've needed Everton players to simply score 2 points by turning up and they at least managed that...

• Kannbury

Everton triple didn't help this week, Sig, Dig & Dcl.

1. Kannbury

Final score 51, nearly inside 400k now.

• FPL Pillars

Fielded XI, my FT: Veltman >> Mitchell 13 point swing

Rival had Jota, Guaita and Pope no show and took -8

Finishing on a sprint, 26 points ahead in my league now

• fish&chips

Had a few beers on Friday night and changed my bench from Mitchell, willcock, benteke to coufal, maja, burke. Also had triple city no show in my FH squad. What on earth was I thinking!!!

1. Biggsy

Ahh the "I can outsmart Pep Roulette" confidence that a few beers gives you.....

1. fish&chips

Would have been fine if I hadn't touched my bench 😀

• ZAMUNDA

Sold Nacho and Maddison to Raphinha and Antonio instead of Foden and Bamford with a hit. (8 points instead of 1). I've got Adams as well who keeps on delivering (22 points in two weeks now). Total points 60 and jumped back into 10k finally.

• Brimble82

Smooth; Deployed my WC. Can pick from any of the players I wanted. The world was my oyster.
          Rough; 11/15 blanks. Went all eggs in the West Ham/Everton leaky baskets.
          ML leader cap'd Salah, I went with DCL.
          Settling for second place this season.

• Old (Trafford) Dreamer

Freehit - 69 points
          Rough - Played Pep Roulette and brought in Stones, Forden and Mahrez
          Smooth - on the bench were Dallas, Raphina and Mitchell 25 points off the bench

• RuudVanNistelrooney

Freehit - 72 oints.
          Rough - Went for Foden Stones and Mahrez
          Cried my heart out as willock also missed a penalty
          Disaster Friday

Smooth (finally some luck) - 1st sub Mitchell
          2nd sub Struijk
          3rd sub willock

Couldn't have planned it better

• lugs

Rough
          my -4 of Bruno and Nacho to Mahrez(c) & Ings didn't exactly go as planned 😆

Smooth
          at least Mahrez didn't sub on so Salah(vc) was able to come to the rescue, him along with Kane, Trent, Reguilion & Watkins helping me to a respectable 55-4 and a small green arrow

• andymck

Managed to field 10 players without a hit and Mitchell’s haul gave me a big boost to 62 points.

• HMC

11 players. No keeper. One bench player, that was El Ghazi
          Played Harrison
          Captained Ings

Mixed round for sure

• TonyE

Rough, took an 8 point hit to bring in DCL, Digne, and Jota, for a 49 down to 41, and dropped 50k in rank.

• Original - Wolves Ay We

No Goalkeeper (Forster/Guiata)
          No Jota
          No Subs
          Rival gets 13 Mitchell Points off the bench for Jota no show.

What else could do wrong?

• Baps hunter

72-4 with Digne and DCL, cannot complain with Mitchell as only sub and Jota no show 🙂 Into top 100k and 6th in January to May league with striking distance. Yet very unlikely Zaha miracle needed. 18/20 green arrows now after very poor autumn.

• Rasping Drive

FH Roughs: Loaded up on 3 City assets (Stones, Mahrez & Foden) - a combined zero points; 2 Everton assets (Digne, DCL) for a combined 4 points: 2 Saints (McCarthy & Ings) for 3 points. I spent most of Friday night sticking pins in a Pep effigy doll.

FH Smooths: 3 Pool (Trent, Mane, Salah c - total 31 points), Bale (7). But the real heroes were my bench of Dallas (6), Welbeck (9) and Mitchell (13) who all came on for 28 points.

Gameweek score: 73. Up to 31k (from 160k before my GW31 WC). Happy days!

• Mac90

Smooth: Bought and captained Salah for a hit was better than owning and captaining DCL

Rough: DCL Hamez did nothing for my cash league being differentials

• Sharkytect

Rough - couldn't afford to get Antonio in for Iheanacho without taking a hit. Then Antonio did nothing, so that transfer effectively cost me -2.

Smooth - the transfer I made to create the funds for Antonio was Veltman > Mitchell. 13 points from a £3.8mil defender! come on!

• Mouldmaster

Rough - Double Everton defence punt not paying off and leaving Struijk on the bench

Smooth smooth jam - Mitchell and Eze doing it for me again. 71 (-4).

Wildcard last week to go from 100k to 29k! Hoping the fpl end of season luck continues...

1. Andy_Social

Rough - starting triple City, none of whom showed up.
            Rough - no goalkeeper.
            Smooth - Salah (C), Trent putting me within touching distance of winning my weekly ML without half a team.
            Rough - then my Toffee Trio blew it.

1. Andy_Social

Oh and Mitchell off the bench was very sweet!

1. Andy_Social

* it was my Free Hit, by the way.

• Triggy

Definitely a rough week. Jota and Vestergard out injured, Mahrez in for a hit for Lingard and only Vydra playing on the bench.

Only up 6 places to 369 OR 58(-4).

1. Triggy

*Veltman not Vestergard

• Michael_Scott

Smooth: Brought in Mitchell as my 2nd free transfer last week on the off chance that 1 of my 11 wouldn’t play. He came in for Jota for a lovely 13 points

• Rassi

Rough: Pickford and DCL
          Smooth: 72 (-4) pts, Tekkers the Hero, 2nd consecutive gw with top 60k gr

• The Ilfordian

Smooth: Salah cap, double defence of Dallas and Reg and a nice 5 from Gundo.

Rough: thinking Coufal and Son for -8 was a good idea, loading up on Everton and dropping around 30 points ahead and below in my ML. The 20 odd points in front look a lot further away than the 20 odd points from the two guys below.

• Foozeball

Just terrible. Mitchell parked at the back of my bench. Digne was a massive disappointment and ML rival getting returns from ducking Cancelo was infuriating. At least I got that bonkers assist from TAA...

• AllGonePozzo

I played free hit. All 3 strikers blanked, Raphinha and Mitchell points left on my bench. Salah captain, Bale, TAA and Mane assist and Dallas CS got me to 57. Still 21 pints more than pre free hit team would have got me so chip a success

• The Red Devil

Free hit
          Ferran Torres
          77 points
          200k rise
          Boom!

• shirtless

Smooth; 53 points no hit with a full XI out as I was on wildcard. Salah(c), Kane, Brought in Mane for Bruno. Dallas shut out.

Rough; Raphina and Mitchell on the bench! Really fancied a Soucek goal at Brighton. Antonio blanked. Ones and twos all over. Sold Alioski for Dallas!

• Wee Jinky

Best captain?

A. Salah
        B. Fernandes
        C. Greenwood
        D. Kane

1. Stormbringer22

Between A & B for me but Kane close 3rd

2. HODGE

D or A

3. TB303

A all day !

• Toby Lerone

60 points impossible to claw back at this stage?

1. Super Saints

Yep

2. Stormbringer22

Can't see it mate. Unless your opponent makes a huge blunder or 2, and you are extremely lucky with a differential captain pick both weeks, who scores 20+ points

3. FPLHaggis

I caught up 65 points in the last 2 gws last season. Huge amount of jam though - I managed to cap Sterling (top gw scorer) in 37 and my rival capped Salah for 1pt in 38 (I got the early team leak). Good luck.

4. diesel001

Not impossible, but your chances are less than 0.01%

5. No Professionals

pretty much. You need two hattricks from differential captains who the other guy doesn't own and his captain blanks both times.

6. Toby Lerone

Never say never. Cheers!

7. Jet5605

You need your rival's login and password to claw that back.

8. Arsene_Glenger

Unless you have a chip and very different squad compared to your opponent, no luck. With two games to go punts could help you. Imagine you had Torres Mitchel and Harrison in GW36...

9. dmcnam12

B. Zaha > Raphinha / Greenwood
            C. Roll

Martinez
            Rudiger, Digne, Dallas
            Salah, Bruno, Pereira, Lingard
            Kane, DCL, Antonio
            (Forster; Zaha, Konsa, Maguire)

• Ginola

Chasing 19pts in my ML. Who to captain?

A. Salah
            B. Kane
            C. Greenwood

1. Stormbringer22

Does your rival have all 3?

1. Ginola

No Greenwood.

1. Stormbringer22

Captain Kane and hope for a Salah blank. Presumably, your rival captains Salah. Greenwood's points would be a bonus to your Kane double points

• mcsteely

Best move here?
            A: Improve GK for the last two (Dubravka/Fabianski)
            B: Roll a transfer
            C: Something else

Martinez
            TAA, Digne, Dallas,
            Salah, Son, Raphina, Greenwood
            Kane, Bamford, DCL

Bench: Areola, Lingard, Rudi, Targett

1. Stormbringer22

I would be worried of a Bamford benching in favour of Rodrigo as it is near the end of the season and managers give their other players a chance. Maybe Bamford to Antonio? Boring move and I can only assume that you have brought in Bamford last week...

• Stormbringer22

At 150K overall rank at the moment with a moderately template team rating. Any chance of sneaking into the top 100K by the end, or do I need to look at major differentials to bring in?

1. No Professionals

what's the points gap? must be about 40?

1. Stormbringer22

According to LiveFPL - 23pts

2. Guba

Definitely a chance, my team is 83% template (apparently) and went from 153k to 91k with the double gameweek last week. A single differential doing well would be adequate I'd have thought if the rest of your team performs.

• Jet5605

Team and bench order G2G?

Mendy
            Dallas - Rudiger - Lindelof
            Salah - Son - Lingard - Raph - Bruno (c)
            Kane - Antonio