Pro Pundit Teams

Five players who could help you win your FPL mini-league in Gameweek 38

Seven-time top 10k finisher Zophar looks at the Premier League’s in-form attacks and leakiest defences before picking out Fantasy assets to consider for Gameweek 38. He also reveals his own FPL team for the final day of 2020/21.

With the season drawing to a close, there are still mini-leagues to be won and ranks to be improved upon. In this piece, I will be looking at five players who I feel can give you the push you need.

Spoiler alert: I have resisted the temptation to add Timo Werner (£9.2m) to this list…

Who are the form attacks?

That’s it from me for the 2020/21 season. It has been a challenging one for all of us in many ways but I hope that playing FPL has provided some sort of escape from it all. I hope you have enjoyed the content this year, both on the podcast and in these articles. I look forward to seeing you again next year.

Pro Pundits 20

Full-year memberships, monthly subscriptions and a FREE trial are all now available.

1. Big_Andy_GAWA

Guys,

Do we think AWB will start tomorrow? The Scouts don't... 🙁

1. Super Saints
      1 month, 1 day ago

Nope most will be rested

2. JaydenLFC87

Digne > Dallas -4

Yay or Nay ??

3. The Preview: GW 38
    BigManBakar

The Preview: GW 38

Hi everyone, welcome to The Preview. Chasing a mini league lead or looking to gain ground on your rival? I present to you the final article of the season:

(Data taken from FFScout with consent)

Q: What is the best way to overtake a deficit in my mini league?

It’s time to go upside chasing. That doesn’t necessarily mean adopting any drastic strategy and avoiding the best players for the GW, but at the very least one can take calculated risks. You have to step away from the template to a certain degree. For example, Son and Kane are both heavily owned in the top 10k as both of them have been prolific this season. Yet this GW, both don’t even feature in the top 15 most likely anytime goal-scorers according to the odds. Further, Spurs away from home under Ryan Mason, have one of the worst xG per game and shots in the box per game ratios in the league (granted the sample size is very small) and Leicester will have motivation. Ideally, I would never advise you to sell Kane as he has an incredible record against Leicester (14 goals in 10 appearances, his best record against any PL club) but if you have to chase a big lead, then certain gambles need to be taken.

Q: I trail my mini league rival by 10 points or less – do I play safe or take risks?

I’m aware that it is the point in the season where it is make or break in most mini leagues so this calls for educated gambles to be made. I don’t think you need to be different just for the sake of being different because I consider a margin of 10 or fewer points to be minimal and one that can easily be made up. With this kind of margin, you should pick the obvious captain who I believe is Salah. No one has had more big chance involvements over the past six matches and Palace have conceded the highest number of chances down the left flank among all teams in the league this calendar year. This bodes well for Salah and by extension, Trent.

Q: I trail my mini league rival by 10 points or more – to what extent should I take risks and which ones?

Double up on defences which your rivals don’t own if you can do so without ignoring priority transfers. For example, Liverpool and Chelsea are two of the likeliest teams according to the odds for a clean sheet this week. Go for explosive defenders. Goalscoring midfielders will help you make up ground in quick time. Invest in differentials. If the deficit is too huge, then ideally captain a player that your rival doesn’t own. Take the chance that he might haul big. Roll the dice!

Q: Which brings me to the question, who is the best differential captain?

As long as you own Salah, I think you have that risk of losing out mitigated to a certain extent so you’re giving yourself some margin to do well even if Salah hauls and you don’t have him as captain. Mané, for example, is a great shout this week. He is second among all players in the league for big chance involvements and has scored in each of his previous seven appearances for Palace. Liverpool are, by far, the bookies favorites for 2.5+ goals this week and have the motivation to make the top four so I like the idea of captaining a Liverpool player. If your rival already has a Liverpool triple up, then I’d go Bamford for the reasons mentioned below.

Q: Who to pick out of Bamford, Raphinha and Antonio if I can only pick one?

I don’t want to run you through long statistical comparisons that I usually do because I believe using gameweek specific odds is a better metric while talking about one gameweek alone rather than season long statistics. Leeds are second favorites for 2.5+ goals this week, while West Ham are fifth. Bamford is second favorite after Salah for anytime goalscorer while Antonio is around tenth. West Brom generally tend to concede most of their chances down the middle too (37% of their chances conceded this calendar year have been through the middle) while Southampton tend to concede more down their flanks (28% of their chances conceded this calendar year have been through the middle) which again favors Bamford.

I still think Bamford and Antonio are my two favorite strikers for this GW though and ones who I believe have big upside. Both will be playing in front of home fans and are likely to be on penalties – which is very important because West Brom and Southampton are the two teams to have conceded the highest number of penalties this calendar year. I like Bamford more than Raphinha simply because I believe he is more explosive – he has five double digit hauls this season compared to Raphinha’s one.

Q: Raphinha or Harrison?

I posted this in last GW’s article:

Raphinha v Harrison

(last six matches)

Mins per shot in box: 67 v 58
    Mins per big chance: 472 v 173
    Mins per chance created: 36 v 37
    Mins per big chance created: 236 v 173

Raphinha's numbers have been far superior over the season but of late Harrison has caught up with him which makes Raphinha v Harrison a tricky decision. It is also worth noting that Raphinha is now sharing some set pieces with Dallas, which were a major reason as to why his creativity numbers over the season have been so good. Harrison I believe could be a decent alternative to Raphinha if you’re willing to get a piece of the Leeds’ pie ahead of WBA particularly if your rival doesn’t own Raphinha and you want to be different. Assuming all things equal though, I prefer Raphinha because with Rodrigo back against Southampton, Raphinha was the most advanced Leeds player while Harrison was sticking more to the byline in a deeper position.

Q: What to do with Man United and Man City assets?

I think the need of the hour is to be vigilant here and to view all team leaks before the deadline with a degree of skepticism. Make sure you are only trusting information which is credible – verified accounts on Twitter known to be reliable in the past are a great start. I scoured through the City and the United forums and both sets of fans expect massive rotation for almost all their main players so it is important to have contingency plans in place in case we get team leaks before the deadline. You don’t want to put yourself in a situation where you end up panicking pre-deadline.

Q: Who are the explosive defenders and goalscoring attackers to get?

All historical trends over the past five seasons point to the fact that last matches of the season tend to be high-scoring when compared to the season averages. Hence, for me it’s about picking defenders who possess not only clean sheet but attacking potential. I’ve only spoken about Trent but I’d just like to add that over the past six matches, he has created the most chances in the league. Liverpool have by far the best clean sheet odds this week so Robertson is another one I like – he’s upped his creative game of late and is only behind Trent for chances created and big chances created among defenders in the past two matches. Cresswell since his return from injury is second for chances created behind Trent among all players in the league, so he is another differential I really like. Same applies for Chilwell, so is likely to start as the left wing back for a Chelsea side fighting for a Champions League spot. Dallas is template and there’s not much I need to say about him!

I wrote about Willock last week too so I’d like to keep this short. Ever since he has started playing in the first team from GW35, he’s second for big chances among all players in the league. Among forwards, I really like Iheanacho and Wood this week – both are among the top three forwards for big chance involvements over the past six matches. It’s only fitting that I ended this season’s last thread with Wood indeed! 😛

Kindly like and retweet the thread if you can here:

A big thank you for following my work this season! If you don’t already, then follow me on Instagram as I post about FPL there too through the link down below:

1. Igz08

Cheers for this.

1. BigManBakar

Pleasure 🙂

1. Igz08
          1 month, 1 day ago

Bakar, what’s your take on hits at this stage? I’m 16 clear without Mané but can only afford him for a hit. Worth it? Would also mean benching Bale

2. Pep Roulette
      1 month, 1 day ago

Thanks for wearing that T-shirt with my name on it! Cheers Big Man!

1. BigManBakar

Hahahaha 😀

3. drughi
      1 month, 1 day ago

cheers bmb, even more tempted by Bale>raphinha for a hit now

4. Pompel
      1 month, 1 day ago

Great write-up as always, Big Man!

If you had to choose between Bamford, Wood and Nacho to protect a small lead, which one would you choose?

5. Grounderz
      1 month, 1 day ago

Big Man. In view that Matheus Pereira faces a late fitness test, are you still going to start him?

6. #Swish41
      1 month, 1 day ago

Great article, thank you!

7. Pep bites Kun
      1 month, 1 day ago

Cheers BigmanB! I've really enjoyed your writing over the last few weeks. Thanks for the consistent input mate!. Best of luck for the final gw.

8. The Ilfordian
      1 month, 21 hours ago

Thanks these articles are really useful. Good luck

1. AC/DC AFC
        1 month, 21 hours ago

goals in the last 7 games for Mane in a row v. Palace is some trend.

1. AC/DC AFC
          1 month, 21 hours ago

And Kane 14 goals in 10 games against Leicester too.

9. AC/DC AFC
      1 month, 21 hours ago

Great advice and analysis as ever from the Big Man B.

So Liverpool captain on Salah for safety and Mane or Trent for those chasing it is...

10. snow pea in repose
        1 month, 14 hours ago

Thanks so much for all your hard work this year...

11. b91jh
      1 month, 1 day ago

Thoughts on a punt on McNeil?

12. Rupert The Horse

Anything you’d do here?
      Martinez
      Dallas AWB TAA
      Salah(c) Son Lingard ESR Raphinia
      Nacho Kane

Meslier Watkins Dias Digne
      0 money, 1 FT.

1. Dynamic Duos

Sell Kane

1. Rupert The Horse
          1 month, 1 day ago

Was thinking of getting rid for Bamford or Firmino. Just the golden boot stopping me.

Aguero

1. Dynamic Duos

This

2. Igz08

He might not even start

Rubbish

1 month, 1 day ago

Rumor is he's coming on in the 10th minute.

1. No Kane No Gain
                    1 month, 1 day ago

Where did you get such a rumour

Me

1. No Kane No Gain
                        1 month, 1 day ago

Rumour has it that Aguero is taking all set pieces, even corners

13. Igz08

Martínez
      TAA Dallas Ayling
      Bale Raph JLingz Salah Bruno
      Kane Nacho
      Forster DCL Shaw Coady

I’m 16 points clear in my ML, opponent is without Salah, but has Son and might bring in Mane. Am worried Bale won’t start and can’t afford Bruno -> Mane

A) DCL -> Antonio, bench Bruno
      B) Bruno, DCL -> Mane, Antonio (-4), bench Bale

1. Hits from the Bong

14. Hits from the Bong
      1 month, 1 day ago

Captain Salah or Antonio?

1. StayoutheSpiceZone
        1 month, 1 day ago

Salah imo I think that Saints aren’t a bad side and slightly better away at times

2. Rupert The Horse

Salah

3. Igz08
        1 month, 1 day ago

Can’t look past Salah this week. Last game vs palace he only needed an odd 25 mins!

15. StayoutheSpiceZone
      1 month, 1 day ago

Anyone else fancying Rodrigo over Bamford tomorrow?

1. Hits from the Bong

1. StayoutheSpiceZone

Just me then!

1. Rupert The Horse

2. ZAMUNDA

Yess!

16. sunzip14
      1 month, 1 day ago

Which one would you bring in from the following three?

A) Antonio (have Lingz)
      B) Bamford (have Raph)
      C) TAA (have Phillips), rival who is 8pts below me has TAA

1. sunzip14

Going out would be Vydra or Coady

2. House Frey Wedding Planner
        1 month, 1 day ago

Does rival have Bamford or Antonio? I would bring one of those 2 in. As you have Phillips, you'll get Pool clean sheet points same as Trent. Not having Bamford or Antonio when your rival has, could hurt you more in my opinion

1. sunzip14
          1 month, 1 day ago

He has Kane, Nacho, Watkins up front. Could bring one of those by selling Nacho or Watkins. He also has Pereira though who is flagged currently.

1. House Frey Wedding Planner
            1 month, 1 day ago

I think he would bring in Bamford....he's chasing you and Bamford is likely to return.

Think Bamford would be the best move for you too.

Good luck!

1. sunzip14
              1 month, 1 day ago

Thank you and wish you the same as well !

17. House Frey Wedding Planner
      1 month, 1 day ago

1st team and bench order correct?

Martinez
      Phillips, Dias, Dallas
      Salah(c), Son, Mane, Lingard
      Kane, Bamford, Antonio

Rudiger, ESR, Shaw

1. StayoutheSpiceZone

Like it mate. Good luck

2. sunzip14

Would start Rudiger

1. House Frey Wedding Planner
          1 month, 1 day ago

Instead of Dias? Think City will keep a clean sheet and if Dias doesn't start then Rudiger steps up

1. sunzip14
            1 month, 1 day ago

Yes, I would start him ahead of Dias. Can understand your reasons as well though.

18. Efan Ekoku Pops

Quick one, guys
      A) DCL
      B) Bamford -4

Cheers and good luck!

1. House Frey Wedding Planner

2. BERGKOP

19. OneDennisBergkamp
      1 month, 1 day ago

Anyone got any reason for me not to do DCL > Antonio for free?

1. sunzip14

20. Hits from the Bong

All good here?

Areola
      TAA Robertson Dallas
      Salah(c) Son Torres Lingard
      Kane Antonio Bamford

Forster Bale Mitchell Johnson

21. hogree
      1 month, 1 day ago

OR 12,715 - chasing top 10k.

Would you gamble on Antonio cap or go safe and cap Salah?

1. sunzip14

Salah

2. Qaiss
        1 month, 1 day ago

Depends how many differentials you have in your team. Everyone will captain Salah so you won’t gain much there

1. hogree

Team is
          Martinez
          Phillips - Shaw - Castagne
          Raphinha - Harrison - Bruno - Salah (Son)
          Bam - Antonio - Kane

Not really differential heavy 🙁

1. drughi
            1 month, 1 day ago

harrison and raphinha is a nice differential double up, any ft left ? Shaw>cresswell could be an option or bruno>mane

1. hogree

Nah no more frees mate

2. Qaiss
            1 month, 1 day ago

Shaw and Bruno may not play. You could make a transfer there if you have any

22. Qaiss
      1 month, 1 day ago

Picking Jota over TAA on my Gw31 wildcard has to be my worst decision of the season, 33 point difference

1. sunzip14
        1 month, 1 day ago

Probably not my worst decision but certainly a bad one for me as well.

2. The Knights Template
        1 month, 1 day ago

Note to self - Qaiss wishes he'd picked TAA instead of Jota in gw31.

1. Qaiss
          1 month, 1 day ago

Lol, it’s prob a similar decision others made so not just me!

1 month, 1 day ago

Note to self - Qaiss may not be alone.

1. Qaiss

Bla bla bla

3. #Swish41
        1 month, 1 day ago

Yep, same here. Would be comfortably in the top 10k if I had gone TAA. That said, Godfrey has scored really well for me so swings and roundabouts

1. Qaiss

Exact same here

23. g40steve
      1 month, 1 day ago

RMT has me benching Son, Thomas & Godfrey, yet Shaw playing?

Martinez
      Trent, Dallas, Godfrey
      Son, Salah, Lingz, Mane
      Antonio, Kane, Bamford

Button, Rapha, Thomas, Shaw

1. Major League Shocker
        1 month, 1 day ago

RMT can only guess at minutes based on previous matches, so it probably assumes Shaw will start. Have to ignore it this time.

1. g40steve

Cheers

2. dabber7
        1 month, 1 day ago

Think I'd be tempted to start Raph over Son.

24. the egyptian king
      1 month, 1 day ago

Leading my mini league by 4 points. We have very similar teams but he has Bruno + Bamford, I have Lingard + will transfer out DCL for Bamford or Zaha for Harrison/Willock/Pepe. I could get Bamford but then it would be Lingard vs Bruno (or his replacement if he transfers). I feel I may have a better chance if I gamble on Bamford blanking and transfer Zaha out. Thoughts?

Troll out FTW!

1. the egyptian king

eh?

Zaha ha ha ha out

2. #Swish41
        1 month, 1 day ago

That’s tough. Bamford has form, odds, stats etc but Leeds will likely rotate others (not Bamford) so coherence could be off. I personally hate Zaha from a FPL perspective so would get rid. Lingz probably scores more than Bruno this week

1. the egyptian king
          1 month, 1 day ago

Yeah Zaha would never start it would either be 3-4-3 or 3-5-2. Bamford or Harrison/Willock/Pepe. Yeah it's just Bruno starts or he transfers him out for Mane or something

3. Oz
        1 month, 1 day ago

Keep DCL. Bamford is the only player I have kept all season so have a lot to thank him for, but he has been a bit erratic. Take Zaha out for one of those three.

1. the egyptian king
          1 month, 1 day ago

Lingard + Harrison/Willock/Pepe +4 vs Bamford + Bruno (or his replacement)

1. Oz
            1 month, 1 day ago

I'd go with Lingard + Harrison, but Willock and Pepe not far behind. If he takes out Bruno he may get in your choice which helps you.

1. the egyptian king
              1 month, 1 day ago

Yeah I feel more confident with that. So tight. Just hope he keeps Bruno and he doesn’t start.

25. #Swish41

Hi all, sat at 13k with 20 pt ML lead:

1. Watkins > Antonio (bench Bruno)

2. Bruno > Mane (bench Watkins)

3. Ward > Coufal (bench Shaw)

TAA is the only one my rivals have that scares me, but can’t afford without a hit - not worth a hit right?

Pickford
      Phillips Dallas Shaw
      Salah Son Bruno Lingz Raph
      Bamford Kane

Forster Watkins Godfrey Ward

Cheers all, lots on the line!

2. JUST ONE LOMBARDO...

3. #Swish41
        1 month, 1 day ago

Thanks both, that’s probably the right call. At least I have narrowed it to 2 options!

26. Pep Roulette

Aguero csptain please.

1. Deulofail

Okay!

Arise, Sir Deulofail!

28. JUST ONE LOMBARDO...
      1 month, 1 day ago

Torres a good differential and likely to play tomorrow?

Yes and no idea

29. Dynamic Duos

Bench order ?

Rudiger Siggy Holding

1 month, 1 day ago

You're not collecting rudiger's cs pts?

1. Dynamic Duos

Starting Azpi TAA Dallas

30. tissae
      1 month, 1 day ago

Is Greenwood playing tomorrow? Toughts?

1. JJO

I think he will

2. The Knights Template

Are you Irish?

31. andymck

Martinez (Fabri)
      TAA Dallas Digne (Maguire Mitchell)
      Salah Fernandes Lingard Harrison (ESR)
      Kane Bamford Antonio

1ft 1.4itb

A) Digne > Robertson
      B) Bruno > Mane

1. Dynamic Duos

2. The Knights Template

Both

32. tissae

What would you do? 1FT, 1.5m itb

A) Greenwood -> Harisson (have Bamford and Raph already)
      B) Fofana -> Dallas

1. balint84

Bbbbb

2. The Knights Template

33. balint84

A) bruno to Mane
      Or
      B) dcl to Firmino

Both

34. kysersosa
      1 month, 1 day ago

Best replacement for Maguire?

Have TAA, Dallas, Holding
      Targett Maguire.

TIA

1. JJO

Just play first 3

35. Dosh
      1 month, 1 day ago

Best last week midfielder punt? Price no barrier...

Willock

36. PLerix
      1 month, 1 day ago

Digne and Watkins ➡ Dallas and Bamford?

Y