Pro Pundits - Tom

Five-time top 1k FPL finisher Tom Freeman’s Gameweek 13 plans

Gameweek 12 has drawn to a close, and all in all, it was a pretty good one for me.

A total of 75 points has seen my overall rank rise to 57,377, and though it’s early days, it’s been a positive start.

Mohamed Salah (£13.0m) led the way with 16 captain points but there were also returns for Ben Foster (£4.1m), Trent Alexander-Arnold (£7.8m), Antonio Rudiger (£5.9m), Joao Cancelo (£6.6m) and Adam Armstrong (£6.0m), who has started to pick up some form in recent weeks.

Now, as focus shifts to Gameweek 13, I thought I’d write-up some observations from Steven Gerrard’s first match in charge of Aston Villa, plus my own transfer/team plans for the weekend.

VILLA UNDER GERRARD – FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Steven Gerrard got off to a winning start at Aston Villa on Saturday, with a 2-0 victory over Brighton and Hove Albion. Lining up in a 4-3-3 formation, Gerrard’s preferred shape during his time at Rangers, Villa were much improved, especially at the back. As a result, they limited Graham Potter’s side to just 0.52 expected goals (xG) – their second lowest xG total of the season so far – with 0.28 of that figure arriving from one Tariq Lamptey (£4.4m) attempt during the first-half.

While Albion had a lot of the ball with 63% possession, they rarely looked like scoring, something Gerrard touched on after the game:

“Brighton had a lot of possession, but it was in the areas we wanted them to have the ball, so I’m really pleased for the players, proud of them, but it’s only a start, we need to go and back it up now.”

Ollie Watkins (£7.3m) and Tyrone Mings (£4.9m) got the goals on the day, but which players could benefit most from Gerrard’s appointment in Fantasy Premier League (FPL)?

Five-time top 1k FPL finisher Tom Freeman on Villa under Gerrard and his Gameweek 13 plans 1

Aston Villa’s average position map v Brighton and Hove Albion in Gameweek 12

Pre-season price offer extended for FFScout Premium Membership 10

Full-year memberships, monthly subscriptions and a FREE trial are all now available.

• Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
  • Enjoy our Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.

avfc82 https://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/818/history”

1. Atimis

Of course I've already done Livra Havertz to TAA Gallagher as would be priced out...

Now, would you take a hit to remove Chilwell or just play Mbeumo?

1. The Units

No hit

2. JBG

Just play Mbuemo, I'm most likely playing Duffy or might just "swallow the pill" and bring in James for -4.

3. DannyDrinkVodka

Playing Mbuemo is a great option this week

1. Don Van Vliet

Or even Mbeumo.

2. FantasyClub

How many times have we heard that lol

1. DannyDrinkVodka

This might be the last time ever

4. Atimis

Thanks all!

2. Nedvěd11

Priorities, already done Son for Foden.....

TAA, Canc, Rudiger, Chill, (Marcal)
    Raph, Salah, Mbeumo, Zaha, Son

1. Boberella

This

2. Ëð

D

3. circusmonkey

From Sporting Life Paper Talk:
    "The game's lawmakers will discuss a request to increase half-time intervals from 15 minutes to 25 so that football can introduce Super Bowl-style entertainment midway through matches.".

Everyone is just going to spend the time on the concourse and in the bog.

1. The Units

It's for TV. Load of bollox.

2. Sharkytect

Time in the concourse = more money spent.

3. ebb2sparky

What a load of ****. I'd consider not renewing my season ticket if that happens. I go to football to watch the game, not queue up for over priced junk at half time. I already find 15 minutes too long.
      I think I need my morning coffee!

4. Andy_Social

Super Bowl entertainment? What do they do other than rip bras off pop singers?

nb I don't actually want to know the answer; I'm with CM here.

1. The Units

Don't mind the bra ripping tbh

2. Miniboss

25 minutes of bra ripping sounds like something I could cope with

1. Andy_Social

Even if you have to sit through some awful teenage-aimed pop tune first? Not for me. I'd just spend 25 mins on YouTube.

1. Miniboss

I have no doubt about that. I'll mute tv.

5. Miniboss

Didn't they try some circus crap like this when premier league was introduced? And it ended as expected.

6. Jafalad

Think of all the pies you can now eat.

7. The Knights Template

But I’ve already seen Janet Jackson’s nupples!

8. Shineonme

I'll stop going to games and just watch them at home and do things around the house while the halftime 25 min BS goes on.

4. Sharkytect

Any word on Douglas Luiz? He is usually 3rd on my bench but could do with cover going into xmas

1. Hint

Back training

5. My heart goes Salalalalah

Would you do Son + Manquillo to Jota and Rudiger for a hit? Strengthens bench too. Already have James, TAA, Cancelo

1. Ëð

Not for a hit. Especially as you already have James.

2. The Units

Nope just Jota.

3. TopBinFc

Nope, I'd keep son

• Chaldaea

No rush this week as Chelsea have United who could score against them.

• Jones Kusi

Toney, Semedo > King, James(-4)
        Yay or nay?

1. Ëð

Not for a hit

2. My heart goes Salalalalah

You need James for sure. Just don't know how...

3. TopBinFc

Not for a hit, Semedo has nice fixtures next 2

• Goonerly

If you've kept Semedo up until this GW, you might as well play him for the next 2

4. Ëð

Good to hold this week provided no injuries? £0.3m ITB, 1FT

Sanchez, Foster
          TAA, Rudiger, White, Livramento, Amartey
          Salah, Foden, Raph, Jota, Bissouma
          Ronaldo, Antonio, Toney

1. The Units

Yeah hold

1. Ëð

Is Rudiger to James too sideways?

1. JBG

I'd say so, sure James looks more likely to score or get an assist, but Rudiger is a menace on corners. Almost scored again last night.

2. The Units

I would look to get James for Livra/white and downgrade toney

3. Andy_Social

I did that in GW10. James is always more likely to return more than a CS than Rudi.

2. EL tridente

I´m looking to do White and Foden to James and Gallagher for a hit.

5. Milkman Bruno

In UCL fantasy, would you sub in Cancelo or keep 5 points?

1. El Presidente

Keep 5 pts

6. Totalfootball

Gtg?

Ramsdale
          Taa James Cancelo
          Salah Son Foden Bowen Esr
          Ronaldo King

4.0 Duffy Benjohnson fodder

7. Ze_Austin

So, Alonso playing the inside forward role, plus free kicks, with a much better fixture list than the one he had before he was dropped

Waiting eagerly for news. Looks locked in for GW14 if the Chilwell knee issue is serious enough

1. Tinfoil Deathstar

Yeah I think that’s where I’ll be going too. Also frees up £0.3 ITB to do Kane to Ronaldo in GW16 for me.

2. NateDog

Same. I feel if I go near the other side I'll have more issues so if it looks like it'll be a bigger problem for Chilwell just moving to his most likely replacement makes most sense (should mean he's more nailed than James would be for that window anyway). The thing with Tuchel too is he seems to have this habit of going from having full faith in certain players to dropping them on their backsides in one fell swoop, and vice versa. Chilwell couldn't get a look in earlier in the season, then Alonso had one not great game against Chelsea and a poor half v Juventus and that was that and within a few weeks Chilwell was as undroppable as it looked like Alonso was. Wouldn't be surprised if Alonso holds onto that spot again for a while even when Chilwell is back if he gets at least a few games at it and does well.

1. NateDog

*against City, not Chelsea obviously

8. Hansel

Which option do you prefer for this week?

A) Rudiger, Gallagher, Antonio
          B) James, Mbuemo, Antonio
          C) Rudiger, James. Mbuemo -4

9. Tinfoil Deathstar

I’ve got Chilwell, no James or other Che defence, and no £ ITB.

Do I roll FT this week and play Antonio off my bench and then get James in next week for free (likely by downgrading one of Mbeumo, White or Livra).

Or do I just go straight to Alonso this week, which would give me necessary funds to move Kane to CR7 in GW16?

1. Fabreghastly

You can't make a good decision until you know how long Chilly is out for. Should have a better idea in 24hrs

1. Tinfoil Deathstar

Yeah that’s fair. The above is on the assumption that Chilwell will at least be out for a few GW’s (a one week injury will be enough for that)

10. CONNERS

Didn't catch the game last night - any reason why Azpi came on for Chilwell rather than Alonso?

1. Warby84

I think he was coming on anyway for James..

2. CONNERS

Ah OK, thanks.

Typically I am 0.1m off doing Chiwell to James...

1. Carefree Crew

Hello Finding Timo! Hope all well with you mate.
              Assuming that Chilwell is injured then yes Alonso is our only other LWB & will get starts.
              Apologies for repeating myself from earlier posts for other readers.
              Alonso started the season well & was keeping Chilly out of the team.
              Contrary to what some people have posted on here, Azpi has NEVER started at LWB under Tuchel.
              TT confirmed in his post match interview last night, the substitution was planned Azpi for James at RWB, then Chilly got injured, he decided to play Azpi on the left as he wanted his experience on the field to see the game out, so don't read into last night Azpi playing at LWB.
              (He played LB in a back 4 under Mourinho back around 2015. Conte played Azpi at RCH in a back 3 around 2017)
              As Tuchel has stated numerous times WBs are attacking players in his system.
              Azpi strength is defensively, not going forward & he's very right footed.
              I've read that people speculated that Azpi will be played for his defensive capability versus Man U.
              Two obvious issues here, Tuchel played Alonso against Salah in GW 3, I doubt he sees Sancho as a bigger threat then Salah!
              He's not afraid of putting him up against pace with Rudiger behind him.
              Secondly if pace was a concern Azpi isn't the answer. Tuchel played Reece James at RCH versus Vardy last season instead of Azpi due to him losing pace.
              Tuchel is a nightmare to predict & with Man U, Watford, W. Ham, Zenit in CL (Sunday, Wednesday, Sunday, Wednesday) next 4 fixtures he may not play all 3 PL games as he's not played much recently but I'm very confident Alonso will be first choice with Chilwell out.
              Tuchel has played Pulisic at LWB, it didn't go well Tuchel admitted it wasn't his position.

IMHO Alonso is nailed if Chilly is out & I'd be very surprised if any Chelsea fan that follows us will say otherwise.

I'm likely transferring him in for Duffy in my team. £5.6m for a nailed Alonso is a gift like £7.5m Jota with Firmino out.

Hope that helps & makes sense & I've explained my thought process clearly.

You've always been very polite to me, so happy to help you mate. If the above doesn't make sense feel free to ask I'll reply again.

Good luck whatever you do. 🙂

(Even with your fraudulent user name & not being Chels!) 🙂

3. JBG

Came on for Chilwell because of injury on Chilwell.

4. Carefree Crew

TT confirmed in his post match interview that
            Azpi was coming on for Reece, then Chilwell got injured so TT decided to play him on the left.

TT wanted Azpi experience on the pitch to see the game out.

Mentioned he hoped Alonso would forgive him as there was some confusion.

1. Ephurion

Also, they were up 3-0 with 18 minutes left, so it was hardly a big risk to put on an already warmed up Azpi

2. Finding Timo

Carefree are you confident Alonso will get a few games now ?

11. Hotdogs for Tea

Those early transfers and dodgy benches … it does sometimes end in tears.

So, exact money before the next price rises 😉 Whatcha reckon ?

Chillwell to Alonso
          Saka to Jota

1. Hansel

I like it, but Alonso before any early team news seems a bit risky

1. Finding Timo

If chilly out would it be between azpi & Alonso for his spot ?

1. Jordan.

some very eloquent posting from the poster carefree crew on previous pages makes alonso a shoe in pick ,thats made me convinced alonso is the pick...

1. Finding Timo

Ok thanks - I am tempted to go Alonso over James to free up 0.6m?!

2. Fabreghastly

Letting the cash dictate my transfers rarely worked for me

Saka has a good fixture and has been unlucky, Chilwell could be out only one or two games, Jota is perhaps injured, Alonso may not get the spot

3. Hotdogs for Tea

I was sort of joking, but will wait to see if Jota is fit and if Chilwell is properly injured.

Alonso surely is a shoe-in for LWB and Jota is a great pick with some fantastic fixtures and nailed with Salah etc head of to Africa in January

1. Baps hunter

Okay, I get it 😉 Sometimes here are so stupid comments, that you never know... Easy to forget to check who is writing.

2. Baps hunter

Saka haul and Jota blank is a possibility. Saka has been very unlucky compared to ESR. I am keeping Saka vs Newcastle, made the mistake of selling Raph for Jota early. Yet, no problems starting Dennis and/or Toney this week.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

I was inclined to roll a transfer but I think Jota has a much better upside than Saka

4. Baps hunter

Jota knock situation still uncertain? His price is not going to change and nor is Saka's.

1. Tonyawesome69

Jota trained yesterday

1. FantasyClub

Link?

1. Tonyawesome69

Open training session before UCL game

1. FantasyClub

If he trained with the team he’s definitely fine then eh?

12. Calum Undisputed

352 -4

3. Livramento > Reguilon
            442

4. Antonio > Benteke
            343

1. CONNERS

I would be saving FT with that team and then figure out how to get James in the following GW with 2 FT's.

1. JBG

This tbf.

2. Calum Undisputed

wow thanks. nv tot of saving FT.
                  thought my options are improving haha

3. cb68

4. THE SHEEP HUNTER

Just a quick reminder.
                Never do early transfers when there are competitive midweek games to be played likely involving some of your players.

1. Feed tha Sheep

Agreed see below (and I never do early ones) just had to this week or couldn’t afford them

2. The Knights Template

And always hope that your players score more than other player’s players, unless they are players also playing in your team.

1. Fitzy.

Breadbin says hi

1. The Knights Template

Breadbin's first commandment. I miss him.

3. Tonyawesome69

I'm sure people knew the risks when they made the early transfer. I hope it was due to being priced out if they didn't do it early rather than making/ saving money

4. Baps hunter

How much do they usually cost with strong bench? If the cost is -4 or -8 during the whole season and they are done in the first half of the season, that extra money gained could outweigh the risks involved.

1. zeslinguer

was gonna say this. there's a risk involved yes, but let's face it, 90% of the time you make an early transfer it goes fine. Also I was in the position last year where I was overly patient and got priced out of moves. I've made a few early moves this season and haven't regretted it yet.

5. Feed tha Sheep

I did these transfers on Monday before prices rises- Christensen Havertz & Antonio > James Jota
                & Jimi -4.. which leaves me

Sanchez Steele
                TAA James Chilwell Cancelo Livra
                Salah Jota Raphina ESR Gilmor
                Vardy Jimi Toney

Should I?

A. WC to cancel the hit and obv sell Chilwell and a few others
                B. Leave it sort Chilwell next week

1. yeahbuddy

2. Tonyawesome69

Depends on how many changes you would make to your 11 on WC. I would just stick to the original plan and bench Chilwell

3. Subzero (-4)

Unless your saving the wildcard for a particular fixture swing or targeted strategy then i think wildcarding this week would be a fantastic idea especially in a week were there are likely lots of hits going around etc… if you are wanting a Spurs asset (big if) then you can also get that sorted now for there good fixture run as well. Your team isn’t in bad shape by all means but you could tidy it up and get ahead of the game with maybe a city attacher as well and about hit(s) over the next few weeks.

Your choice mate but if I was in your position I would definitely be hitting the wildcard now ahead of busy schedule 🙂

4. THE SHEEP HUNTER

Only WC if Salah, Jota, Trent and Cancelo get injured tonight.

5. cb68

• Baps hunter

Spurs situation being so unclear and with the fixtures coming, I wouldn't rush to WC that team now. It could still be decent 3-4-3 and outscore WC team this week.

6. merin

Thoughts?

Ramsdale Foster
                  TAA Cancelo Chilwell White Livramento
                  Salah Foden Raphinha Gallagher DLuiz
                  Kane Toney Jimenez

0 FT, 0.6 ITB

1. Tonyawesome69

Play White assuming bench would have been White, Livramento and Luiz and deal with Chilwell next GW or just take the hit now to James pending injury update.

1. merin

Cheers

7. cb68

Who should I drop between
                    A Ben White
                    B Livramento ?

1. Tonyawesome69

I would hold Livramento if you got him at 4.0m. He is still a good 5th def option

2. Jordan.

neither ,both terrific value especially if you got livra a while ago..

• veedub1989

Mount to...?
                    A) Jota
                    B) Bilva
                    C) Someone else

(Have Gallagher, Salah, Raph and ESR)

1. Tonyawesome69

Jota is the clear standout pick for me

2. cb68

1. veedub1989

Thanks both, much appreciated.

3. CroatianHammer

Decent number offloading Chilwell. Unlikely, but would be hilarious if he still played.
                      The remake of Cheaper by the Dozen, only with wingbacks will have to wait.

1. Tonyawesome69

Crazy when we don't know the full extent of the injury and there are more games tonight

4. tibollom

Hi guys, am I all G2G in terms of bench order ect? Got 1 Ft and 0 ITB

Guatia
                      TAA James Cancelo
                      Salah(c) Raph Foden Son ESR
                      Wilson Dennis

Foster Antonio Livra Johnson

5. gooberman

The Chilwell injury highlights the issue with price changes. Ive never been a fan of the price change rule and would like to see it got rid of.

I like to wait for any cup games to be played and for the Friday team news before making transfer decisions but so often I get priced out of players because of stupid people making unnecessary early transfers.

If the price change rule is to stay, I would at least like FPL to build a feature into the game that prohibits early transfers so that transfers can only be made one day before gameweek deadlines.

1. Punter

Huh? What is the price change rule?

You want us to only be able to make transfers the day before deadline?

Not sure you'll get a lot of support for that mate.

1. Hansel

Haha yeah that's not gonna happen

2. ToffeePot

So in summary you want FPL to tailor the system to benefit how you play the game, and negate any benefit others might get from how they play. Gotcha

1. gooberman

What benefit is there in making early transfers? It's simply unnecessary and negatively impacts the dynamics of the game. Feeling forced into moving early for a player because of others driving player prices with unnecessary early transfers is not a good scenario and I feel the game would be a better game to play if this wasn't allowed to happen. That's all I'm saying.

Many would have felt forced into moving for Chilwell before Chelsea's game because of his imminent price rise and have now been screwed because he is now injured.

1. Baines on Toast...

I agree with you. Also price changes fuel templates which are the worst thing in the game.

2. zeslinguer

It adds an extra element of risk/pressure to the game which is the only thing that makes games like this fun in the first place. Let's all just have an unlimited transfer budget too eh as that limits what moves we can make too

1. gooberman

no thats a stupid idea re the transfers.

3. zeslinguer

haha stop crying, that's part of the game. Move early and take the risk or move late and risk being priced out.

6. Carefree Crew

**Finding Timo** I replied but it's posted 5 posts above yours, but on the same thread "Conners". Not sure if you'll get an alert so posted here to highlight. Short answer yes confident Alonso will get starts. Longer explanation in my posted response.

1. Finding Timo

Cheers mate

7. Hazz

Sanchez
                      TAA / Cancelo / James
                      Salah / Raphinha / ESR / Mbeumo
                      Vardy / Antonio / Toney

Steele // Chilwell* / Bissouma / Livramento

A) Mbeumo & Bissouma > Jota & Gallagher
                      B) Chilwell & Bissouma > Alonso & Jota
                      C) Chilwell & Bissouma > Alonso & Gallagher

I don't need to rush on Alonso as he's price locked, I lose no values from Chilwell's first drop & we're playing United I guess?

But then again it's a straight shootout of two of Alonso, Jota & Gallagher for this next week.

Thoughts?