We are now approaching the business end of the season and the Gameweeks will come thick and fast. As Fantasy Premier League (FPL) managers, we need to react and absorb information over a short period. There is no room for passengers.
Speaking of passengers, I want to start off this article talking about FPL’s top-scoring forward – Michail Antonio (£8.2m).
It’s just one goal in the last six matches for the West Ham United striker, so let’s have a look at his numbers.
MICHAIL ANTONIO: KEEP OR SELL?
Above: Forwards sorted by expected goal involvement (xGI) in Gameweeks 1-6
Antonio notched 47 of his 63 points in the first six Gameweeks, despite missing one game due to suspension.
He topped the numbers for forwards in that period, with a whopping 21 shots in the box, 11 chances created and seven big chances. He was also top for expected goal involvement (xGI) (5.21) by some distance.
Above: Forwards sorted by expected goal involvement (xGI) in Gameweeks 7-12
A look at the last six weeks sees a significant drop in his numbers. While his chance creation has actually gone up (12 from 11), his shot volume has dropped massively (10 shots in the box vs 21 earlier). There have been only two big chances, too, which sees his xGI fall to just 2.39, less than half of his Gameweek 1-6 total. Again, it’s worth mentioning he played one game fewer in the previous sample.
We discussed the merits of premium wing-backs in our latest episode of The FPL Wire. With Chilwell’s injury, you can easily substitute Alonso into the conversation. I highly recommend watching it.
Good luck and see you next week.
Full-year memberships, monthly subscriptions and a FREE trial are all now available.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.