Opinion

The Burning Question – Do we sell or keep Kane before Gameweek 22

During this most wonderful time of the year, we’re frequently told that it is better to give than to receive.

So in the spirit of Christmas, the first in a series of Burning Questions asks whether it’s time to give Harry Kane the elbow, or continue to receive meagre points – albeit with the potential for a whole lot more – from the out of sorts Spurs talisman.

To consider this conundrum, we’ve brought together a panel of heavy-hitting Fantasy managers to team up with our regular Fantasy Football Scout contributors.

Last season’s top two in Fantasy Premier League, Ben Crabtree and Uwais Ahmed, are joined by the current leaders of both our “live” and “career” Hall of Fame – Jay Egersdorff and Peter Kouwenberg – to study the issue.

To counter balance their expertise, this week our very own Mark takes his turn to debate our first festive Burning Question – do we sell or keep Harry Kane before Gameweek 22?

Jay Says…

For me it’s a short-term keep.

Harry Kane faces Stoke City and Brighton in quick succession – and both at home.

Likewise, he has no Champions League duties to worry about midweek as Spurs are though as group winners already and I’d expect Mauricio Pochettino to rest a number of key players.

They desperately need to get back on track in the league; their title bid is all but gone while the Champions League places are slowly drifting away too.

Yes, they’ve had a rocky patch, but I’m expecting Spurs to return to the mean.

Look at Everton a fortnight ago – people were backing them for a relegation battle, but two wins inside a week has seen them back in mid-table, which is a more accurate reflection of their default status.

Two good home matches in a week is a similar opportunity for Spurs, and I see them earning maximum points, with Kane a key architect.

As regards the Double Gameweek 22, I think it would be wise to have a free transfer carried over from Gameweek 16 or 17.

This would allow a Kane downgrade ahead of Man City and then Burnley away – two fixtures where, if he’s still off form, you’d expect long odds for him to regain his scoring streak against two mean defences.

The second free transfer would enable you to redistribute the money freed up by selling Kane as another forward might emerge by then.

It’s fair to say that Alvaro Morata is currently the only nailed-on big hitter and he’s sat on four yellows – another argument for the idea of a short-term Kane ‘wait and see’ option.

Peter Says…

Just over a third of us have blindly gone from week to week increasingly desperate that Spurs’ own ’Arry Kane must be about to rediscover the form which has brought him matching Premier League Golden Boots.

And week after week, the naked truth has been that Kane – and Spurs – are more pinchbeck than prolific this season.

Captaincy options aside, this game is about finding value.

At 12.8, the striker is the FPL Goliath for price, yet 17 players are within ten points of him (and many ahead of Kane’s 82), while Mohamed Salah is disappearing over the horizon with a 31-point advantage.

Significantly for Kane’s owners, that collection includes Pascal Großs (6.0), Richarlison (6.6) and Aaron Ramsey (7.2).

Put bluntly, the value now lies in midfield and defence, and the output of the premium strikers no longer justifies the heavy investment required.

For me, Kane will probably be handed his P45 before Spurs visit the Etihad in Gameweek 18.

No doubt he’ll score before returning to my squad for that alluring Double Gameweek 22, but so will many other options who cost half Kane’s fee and will allow me to strengthen all round for the hectic Christmas period.

Ben Says…

Given the double in Gameweek 22, where he should be essential (we’ll see), transferring him out means using two free transfers out of the next seven on one player.

In fact, it might work out at more than two transfers as that 12-something million gets spread around the team: bye bye Elliot, hello De Gea; bye bye Loftus-Cheek, hello Ramsey etc.

Factor in the potential points Kane can get against Stoke City, Brighton and Southampton and it’s a simple decision to keep him for most managers.

However, if you want to do better than most managers, could a Kane sacrifice be rewarded by the FPL gods with differential captain points and multiple player upgrades?

I actually think yes, there will be a few ways to make ditching more profitable than keeping. It’s just extremely risky and difficult to find them.

There are against the grain, ahead of the curve and differential decisions to make that fly you up the rankings, but for me this isn’t one of them.

Selling is a high risk, low probability move. Captain Kane against Stoke for me, because definitely this time he’s definitely “due”.

Uwais Says…

If you look at the fixtures in isolation from now until Double Gameweek 22, you would say that there are some real opportunities for Kane to fire – and fire big.

However, we are now approaching the halfway mark of the season, and I believe that it is proving increasingly difficult to justify his selection until those double fixtures.

He sits second only to Alvaro Morata in the forward standings, but the fact is that given his relatively pedestrian returns of late, his price tag is just too restrictive when considering what else that money could do with our squads.

We now have enough of a sample size from Spurs’ performances so far this season, and the fact is that they are not playing with the same attacking verve and cohesion as we have seen in recent years.

Having watched them closely recently, they seem to be playing safe and what I call ‘ball to feet’ football and Kane does not look as threatening as in previous seasons.

For his price tag of 12.8, you would expect consistent points and occasionally explosive returns.

Given the fact that other premium players such as Hazard, Coutinho, Firmino and Sanchez are now showing signs of life and we also have consistent performers in Salah and De Bruyne to turn to, the fact is that those funds are probably best placed elsewhere at present.

Until Gameweek 22, that is!

Mark Says…

It seems all kinds of wrong to lose faith in Kane.

But such a view is part of my own DNA. While somewhat “maverick” and aggressive as a Fantasy manager, I’m also known to cling to the comfort of FPL’s “top asset”, whoever that might be. Whether it’s Robin van Persie or Sergio Aguero, historically, I’m all over them.

So I’m a Kane zealot, deciding to sacrifice him feels like a wrench and against my instincts.

I can’t deny that I’m tempted, and that the decision to keep him could well scupper my season.

Typically, I turn to statistics to justify my viewpoints and the same applies here.

As we mentioned in The Digest earlier today, after 15 Gameweeks Kane has scored goals at exactly the same rate at the same point in his 29-goal Golden Boot season.

However, this season he’s fired shots at double the frequency (15.2 minutes vs 30.4 minutes) and, for all the talk on the quality of his shots, he’s had 12 big chances to last season’s seven at this stage.

That screams for me to sit tight and wait for Kane’s natural goalscoring instincts to kick back in.

So that’s what I’ll do, perhaps until Gameweek 21 when, if I can somehow manoeuvre to have two free transfers, I’ll be shipping him out temporarily.

If there was a compelling straight swap, I might just reconsider for his tougher short-term fixtures. However, selling him on and redistributing the funds over my squad – which is surely a necessity – doesn’t appeal when I know I’ll want and need him back.

1. LALLANAS IN PYJAMAS... the …

For this GW, Hazard or Kane?

1. Francescoli

I guess you are referring to captaincy. I just switched from Hazard to Kane

1. Francescoli

However, don't listen to my advice as I never get it right...

1. LALLANAS IN PYJAMAS... the …

🙂
              Well its either sell Kane to get Hazard or stick
              Not thinking about captain yet... took me a while to get over my last GW 🙁

1. Francescoli

I'd want both in my team. If i had to pick one, I'd go Hazard as he's the better pick over the next 5 gameweeks imo.

1. LALLANAS IN PYJAMAS... the …

Kane has 1 more week

2. SUAREZ_MESSI_COUTINHO

I'm more certain of Hazard having a great remainder of the season rather than Kane.
              But ideally try to get both because you'll want Kane for the DGW.

3. DV8R

Who to play?

A) Mee
            B) Kiko

1. Francescoli

Depends on the rest of your team really. If you have Pope and Richarlison, I'd probably play Kiko.

2. SAY MY NAME

I have both on my bench and playing Daniels, although not sure this is right, feel like i should play Mee due to home fixture, but also think Watford look like scoring in every game at the moment, decisions, decisions

• AttackAttackAttack

Watford are the more attacking team so unlikely mee keeps cs imo

• Jimjam

Pope, Elliot
                Otamendi, Mustafi, Jones, Monreal, Tarkowski
                Salah, Sterling, Richarlison, RLC, Romeu
                Kane, Aguero, Morata

1FT, 0.0 in bank

A) Aguero, Romeu --> Calvert-Lewin, Hazard (-4)
                B) Save FT

1. Francescoli

yeah i'd hit that.

2. LALLANAS IN PYJAMAS... the …

• BERGKOP

• J - Gimme your Mané …

1. Jimjam

Thanks all - definite consensus. Seems by far and away the best way to get Hazard in, but I do feel nervous ditching Aguero! Sod's law is he explodes as soon as I get rid.

3. jamie1972

Free hit chip, worth using on the early/unexpected DGW or potentially better value around FA Cup 5th round?

1. Francescoli

FH could work. I'm doing Kane (triple C)

1. jamie1972

Kane TC was my initial thought but was thinking of ditching Kane after the next two, which would leave me needing 2 FT's or a -4 to get him back for the DGW

4. ROOTY7

2 FTs and no idea what to do.

GroB+ Kola-> Kiko +Ramsey for free?

Would leave me with this beastly midfield:

Fabianski
                    Kiko Christensen Mee
                    Ramsey Salah Hazard Sterling
                    Kane Morata Tammy

Elliot Simpson Carroll Mbemba

1. SUAREZ_MESSI_COUTINHO

Kolasinac is one of the best defensive options imo.

• Francescoli

i'd just to Tammy to Wood and roll your other free. Kola and Gross have great fixtures.

• BERGKOP

Not for me.

Just Tammy -> DCL

2. Kalju75

Fabianski
                        Kolasinac-Daniels-Moreno
                        Salah-Sane-Groß-Richarlison
                        Kane(c)-Morata-Firmino

Elliot,RLC,Mee,Fuchs
                        1.2 itb. 1 FT
                        Should i just do Fuchs->Christensen?then next week maybe get rid of Elliot or Daniels.

1. Francescoli

Good plan.

Not keen on upgrading Sane to Hazard though?

1. Kalju75

Might be also good idea to do sane->hazard,hmm...just dont know how.

2. Kryten

Do will the Brady injury have any impact on Burnley clean sheet potential?

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Not necessarily, but it will impact their ability to score. And Wood.

2. J - Gimme your Mané …

Can't see why it would.

3. BERGKOP

Not IMO. More on their goal threat from set pieces

4. SUAREZ_MESSI_COUTINHO

Maybe, but more of an impact on their attack being duller.

5. applebonkers

with the consensus being kane triple captain on the scoutcast granville (aka the red devil's advocate) was especially missed to give the case against

1. applebonkers

this referring to the dgw of course

2. Francescoli

It was funny how stubborn Mark was regarding the Sanchez vs Kane debate for gw18-21.

1. applebonkers

can't blame him. sanchez scoring like an 8mil mid. was surprised ozil's name didn't get one mention, he's the guy who can cover sanchez

1. Francescoli

Kane + RLC out for Coutinho + Firmino would also be a better shout for that period.

I have had Kane all season and am a big fan. However, the argument to shift him out GW18 is pretty convincing imo.

1. applebonkers

yh definitely a case to get rid, just not sure sanchez is the man to do it with. his scores in nice home games were pretty underwhelming even last season when he was the top mid

2. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Agree, Applebonkers. Form very good at the moment.

6. Harmonica1967

G2G for this week?

Pope
                              Ota-Christensen-Ward
                              Haz-Salah-Richarlison-Gross
                              Morata-Kane (c)

Elliot, Surman, Abraham, Francis

1.5 ITB, 0 FT

Next week I'll ideally either up Richarlison to Ramsey or Pope to DDG. Could also drop Abraham down to DCL which would allow me to up Surman to Ramsey either the week after or next week for a -4. Thoughts?

1. Harmonica1967

My bad, Dunk is also playing in the back 4

• BERGKOP

GTG

2. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

I'll just leave this here:

TOT : STK 486 BRI 435 mci -117 bur 245 SOU 363 BLANK [swa 434 WHM 503]DGW

1. SAY MY NAME

i rest my case your honour 🙂

• SUAREZ_MESSI_COUTINHO

Cheers. Do you think West Ham are going to get relegated? 🙂

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

I think there is every chance, yes. But ... if Hart does indeed get dropped, Noble is re-involved, and Arnautovic either retains this work ethic, or is kept at arm's length, then we do indeed have a chance of staying up.

• Francescoli

Kane perma-captain?

I think Kane will struggle against Brighton, City and Burnley personally. Jonty's idea of shifting Kane out for Sanchez from GW18 until the DGW was very convincing.

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

No. I have dropped him!

1. Francescoli

🙂 big call hombre.

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Kane and Eriksen to Hazard and Firmino ... 🙂

1. Francescoli

I also brought Bobby in this week

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Good luck to us! 😀

2. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

I agree, but I have got Hazard ... 🙂

• Klopptomist

So don't get rid, just bench for the blank 🙂

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

See above.

2. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

Also, Eriksen's and Alli's form is gross, at the moment.

1. SAY MY NAME

ironically Gross form is pretty good 🙂

1. Doosra - ☭Bolivia Giroud…

😆 True ...

• Klopptomist

Ah surprised to hear that Doos! Those numbers look alright, esp the DGW. Agreed on Alli and Erik though. Lost Eriksen for Sane and then Sane for Hazard!

3. Weasel51

Pope
                                            Fuchs Ward Moreno
                                            Hazard(c) Salah Coutinho Richarlison RLC
                                            Kane Morata

Elliot Otamendi Niasse Wimmer

Any moves I should be making here?

1. SUAREZ_MESSI_COUTINHO

I'd look to improve the defence.

1. Weasel51

Yeah I'm planning on turning Fuchs + Wimmer into Kiko + a.nother in the next couple of weeks. Who would you advise

1. SUAREZ_MESSI_COUTINHO

How much in the bank?

1. Weasel51

• Weasel51

So 4.7 overall

1. SUAREZ_MESSI_COUTINHO

I'd pick any guaranteed starter - Dunk, Duffy, Naughton, Simpson, Kabasele( if you want a Watford double-up), etc.

• konrad.sygula95

Pope/Elliot
                                                          Christensen/Gomez/Simpson/Naughton/Daniels
                                                          Silva/Salah/Eriksen/GroB/Caroll
                                                          Lukaku/Firmino/Morata

1 FT 0.0 ITB
                                                          Would you do Silva & Lukaku ----> Hazard & Vardy for a -4 ??
                                                          Any other ideas on this squad ?

1. BERGKOP

• hogree

RLC or Daniels? Who would you bench?

1. SAY MY NAME

RLC i think

• SUAREZ_MESSI_COUTINHO

RLC. How much do you bench?

1. SAY MY NAME

do you even lift bro? ;-D

2. Francescoli

RLC

• BJC Rum

Foster
                                                                  Mustafi, kiko, daniels
                                                                  Sterling,hazard,richarlison,salah
                                                                  Morata,kane, Abraham
                                                                  Bench: Elliot,RLC,Mee,suttner
                                                                  2FT 0.0 in the bank

Thinking of fixing up my defence
                                                                  Suttner and daniels out for?

1. SAY MY NAME

isn't Mustafi injured? of the other 2 Suttner first, daniels next week

2. UpAndAway

Anyone considering Sane out for Coutinho?

1. AttackAttackAttack

Plenty are, but I think it's risky. Cout will be playing deeper when mane returns. Upgrade sane to mane perhaps?

• Netley Lucas

Done & done

2. kopite65

really struggling which two to bench
                                                                          A mee
                                                                          B daniels
                                                                          C dunk
                                                                          D naughton
                                                                          Christensen to play, any thoughts appreciated, thanks

• adey70

Advice please! I haven't played Wildcard yet. Current team:

Foster, Elliot
                                                                            Kolasinac, Azpi, Mee, Daniels, Gomez
                                                                            Hazard, Salah, Richarlison, Groß, Carroll
                                                                            Kane, Morata, Abraham

Need rid of Swansea players plus Elliot but ticking along nicely in 26,175th. So when to play wildcard? Week 21 to set up for DGW or earlier? Thanks!

• jazzy30

How does this transfer look like:

Richarlison+Jesus+King>>Hazard+Doucoure+Calver tlewin for -4?

• Craig Sutherns

Pope, Elliot
                                                                              Naughton, Maguire, Daniels, Mee, Dunk
                                                                              RLC, Sterling, Gross, Salah, Carroll
                                                                              Kane, Lukaku, Morata

2 FTs Carroll and Lukaku for Hazard and DCL.
                                                                              I haven't done any -4 all season but do I need to upgrade RLC.

Thanks
                                                                              Craig

• Whits

Brady and Kolasinac to Coutinho and Femenia?

A) YES
                                                                              B) NO

Other defenders I have are Otamendi, Mee, Naughton and Mbemba.

Thanks

• JMeeks1875

So sick of being trolled by Mr.Kane. Between captain and injuries he's cost me so many points this season. I rage binned him weeks ago, Then my bottle went so I brought him back for a minus then he gets injured so back out! He's fired, Preferably from a cannon into the fantasy sun!

• edwardio