In what proved to be a perfectly timed Meet the Manager interview, we caught up with Matthew Jones (known as Numb round these parts) just days after he reached the summit of our Live Hall of Fame for the first time.
In this series, we meet a manager with an exceptional track record in their Fantasy Premier League and find out their strategies for success as well as gathering some top tips for the current campaign.
With seven top 10,000 finishes, including three in the top 500, across his previous nine seasons, Matthew has indeed had an exceptional career.
In fact, his lowest ever finish is still a highly respectable 15,353 and with a rank just outside the top 20k this time around he looks on course for another memorable season.
During the interview, he reveals how patience has proved a virtue, including during this campaign with the bulk of his Gameweek 1 team still in place as he prioritises avoiding hits and swerving short-term bandwagons.
Matthew (FPL team link here) also explains how his rigid, four-stage preparation each week has been key to his success. This strategy also helped him pull off perhaps his greatest achievement, leaping from 2,993,511 in the overall rankings in Gameweek 5 last season to the edge of the top 10,000 by the close of the campaign.
The chat with Matthew is available to view on Youtube here and in the embedded video below.
Previous Meet the Manager interviews:
Become a Member and access our data
Memberships for the 2018/19 campaign are now available for the price of just £15.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 130+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.