188
Community

The best premium defenders in Eliteserien Fantasy 2019

Premium defenders have historically played an important part in Eliteserien Fantasy.

In the last two seasons, we have seen a host of options playing out of position, while Rosenborg’s clean sheet potential has been easily the most reliable in the league.

With Eirik Horneland arriving at the Lerkendal Stadion from Haugesund with his more rigid style and preference for being compact at the back, the reigning champions could continue their form into the 2019 campaign.

READ MORE:A guide to every team in Eliteserien Fantasy 2019

Rosenborg left-back Birger Meling (7,0) and centre-half colleague Tore Reginiussen (7,0) have been priced up as the most expensive defenders in the game this year. I would not be surprised to see the former finish as one of the top scoring defenders again this time around. Considering that Horneland’s left-back at Haugesund Alexander Stølås (6,5) was the highest scoring defender in 2018, I don’t think Rosenborg’s new manager will limit Meling’s attacking potential.

However, goalkeeper Andre Hansen (7,0) might struggle to justify his price-tag this season. He was the go-to keeper last year, but with Horneland’s tighter style, he may face fewer shots and therefore find it harder to tag on the extras for saves and bonus. Considering that Meling can still help you cover Rosenborg’s strong defence, and bring in attacking threat, he may be the better choice. Meanwhile, there are other defenders at the same club that are 0,5 cheaper like Vegar Eggen Hedenstad (6,5).

Brann’s Vito Wormgoor (6,5) still stands out as one of the top defensive picks in 2019. He’s more expensive than he was last season but still plays for one of the best defensive sides in the league. He might still be on penalties and is likely to attract a lot of bonus points too.

The already mentioned Stølås had an incredible season for Haugesund last time out. Thanks to his amazing left foot, he scored four goals and assisted eight more, keeping 12 clean sheets too. However, there are big question marks over Haugesund’s defence, as they have lost their first choice goalkeeper, right-back and one of their best central defenders. FKH have replaced all of those players in the last few days but it remains to be seen whether the quality of signings will be good enough.

When everyone thought age was catching up with Odd right-back Espen Ruud (6,5), he burst back onto the scene at the end of last season going on a crazy run of attacking returns, scoring eight goals and providing three assists across the campaign. I’m a bit unsure if he can justify the 6,5 price tag, but we are talking about a defender who is always capable of big scores, with an Eliteserien hat-trick under his belt.

I do think Odd might be better at the back this season, but I’m more keen on left back Birk Risa (5,5) or goalkeeper Sondre Rossbach (5,5) who are better priced in my opinion. Risa might not have the same offensive potential as Ruud, but he is still fairly attacking and could be used out-of-position (although it isn’t very likely). Meanwhile, Rossbach was among the goalkeepers with most bonus last season.

At Molde, the signing of Martin Bjørnbak (6.0) could mean more clean sheets for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s club. The centre-back is a bonus magnet and comes with good goal threat for a defender. He silently ended up as the eighth highest scoring player in his position while playing for Bodø/Glimt, in 2018, despite keeping just five clean sheets. Bjørnbak scored four goals and racked up 14 bonus points in 29 games, as well as scoring five goals in 28 games for Bodø/Glimt in the second tier in 2017.

Molde’s full-backs Kristoffer Haugen (6,0) and Kristoffer Haraldseid (5,5) could also be decent picks if Molde’s defence manages to tighten up this year, as both have decent assist potential. Haraldseid assisted five for Haugesund last year, while Haugen assisted five and scored two for Molde.

I’m not sure if we count 5,5 defenders as premium, but I’ll mention the Sarpsborg full-backs Joachim Thomassen (5,5) and Jon-Helge Tveita (5,5). Both are attacking in their style, and play for a Sarpsborg side that I expect to improve their league form a lot. Amin Askar (5,5) is still around and could play on either side as a full-back or as a midfielder. He’s been injured for most of the pre-season, so Tveita and Thomassen should be more nailed-on at the start. Both of them have been playing as a part of a back-three in the last few friendlies because of injuries to the centre-backs so we might have to wait and see what their role is for the 2019 season.

Goalkeeper Aleksander Vasyutin (5,5) came in last season and put in some impressive performances for Sarpsborg. He could be one of the best options between the sticks this year, although team-mate Aslak Falch (5,0) has featured a lot in pre-season as well. Sarpsborg also have central defenders available at 5,0.

READ MORE: The best premium attacking players in Eliteserien Fantasy 2019

CLICK HERE FOR MORE ELITESERIEN CONTENT

Become a Member and access our data

Memberships for the 2018/19 campaign are now available for the price of just £10.

• Get access to over 130+ exclusive members articles over the season.

CLICK HERE TO BECOME A FANTASY FOOTBALL SCOUT MEMBER

Posted by

1. No Kane No Gain

Done more tinkering.. please RMT:

Johansen

Bjornbak, Stolas, Wormgoor, Adekugbe

Finne, Hestad, Brynhildsen

Vilhjalmsson, Ohi, Strand Larsen

Arnebrott, Ingebringsten, Odemarksbakken, A. Pereira

£1 mNOK

1. TallestJohn

Not a fan of the defence (Bjørnbak maybe injured but I prefer Haraldseid anyway, Stølås expensive and FKH look poor defensively, can't see a CS for Adekugbe in the DGW, dunno about Viking) but really like the midfield, especially the cheap options.

1. No Kane No Gain

Thanks for that, any ideas on replacements for the defenders?

1. TallestJohn
          1 month, 1 day ago

After the first couple of games I like Ruud/Risa from Odd. Ulvestad the safest defensive pick for KBK.

1. JohnnyMagrinho
            1 month, 1 day ago

Ruud is 35 now - is he going to be able to play as much as he did last year? He had a great season but I’d expect him to feature less, unless he’s some kind of incredible athlete?

Isn’t Risa more of a midfielder? So potentially if he’s classed as a DEF he could score even more points...

1. Johannes
              1 month, 1 day ago

Risa will play left back

1. JohnnyMagrinho
                1 month, 1 day ago

At 5.5m that’s great value, surely?

1. Johannes
                  1 month, 1 day ago

Yes, I like him. Very attacking. Underlying stats from last year very good, but played as a winger and as a striker a lot.

With Kitolano and Grøgaard gone, he won't play OOP. He played LB every game after Grøgaard left for Brann.

Rossbach could be as good. He picked up a lot more bonus than Risa last year.

I think both are better picks than Ruud, mainly because I don't expect Ruud to keep up. I haven't seen Odd much in pre-season, but heard he's started to give away some set-pieces.

I have to say I didn't expect Ruud to do so well last season either. His underlying stats towards the end of last season were amazing, and if he can come anything close to that he'll probably be worth the extra 1.0.

Personally I would start with Risa or Rossbach, if you are planning on RU for GW2.

1. TallestJohn
                    1 month, 6 hours ago

I think the last match report said Risa was on some FKs as well as Ruud which only adds to his appeal.

Fair to say Ruud is a bit like Marcos Alonso when he goes forward? I remember a few of his goals last season were basically from a striker's position.

2. Nozerino

Here's my current team, if I make a transfer I have to remove a Molde player:

Arnebrott (McDermott)

Ruud (V) / Wormgoor / Jonathan Tallas / Ronald Hernandez (Haraldseid)

Eikrem (C) / Finne / Aursnes (Kalludra / Rolantsson)

Ohi / Bye / Strand Larsen

Here's my most recent draft should I change it focusing on the weak points of Tollas unlikely for CSs, Rolantsson changing position, bringing in the value mids and upgrading R Hern:

Barli (McDermott)

Ruud (V) / Wormgoor / Ulvestad (Acosta / Haraldseid)

Eikrem (C) / Finne / Aursnes / Brnyhildsen (Moberg)

Vilhjalmsson / Bye / Strand Larsen

Mostly interested in whether any of these are rotation risks!

3. No Kane No Gain

What is the likely Molde midfield line up and who are the best picks?

1. TAT
      1 month, 1 day ago

Wish I knew! Eikrem, Knudtzon (playing time depending) and Hestad perhaps?

2. Johannes

Ohi
      Knudtzon - Eikrem - Hestad
      Ellingsen - Aursnes
      Haugen - Bjørnbak - Forren - Haraldseid
      Linde

This is for GW1 (assuming Bjørnbak is fit). EUA should push for starts soon enough, and Knudtzon could also potentially push Ohi for starts up front. James doesn't seem to be in the mix right now, but could challenge Ohi as well during the season.

At the back I think Haraldseid is the most risky one, with Remmer pushing him for a start. Haraldseid should be first choice when the season starts.

4. Spokey
    1 month, 1 day ago

My team at the moment. Will probably get another Brann player in there. Any reason why Koomson isnt a more popular choise?
    Will make a decition whether to play Rich uncle or spissrush after GW1.

Barli
    Wormgoor - Jonatan Tollas - D.Ulvestad
    Eikrem - Finne - Brynhildsen - Ingebrigsen
    Vilhjalmsson - Bamba - Ohi

Bench: McDermott - Haraldseid - Diop - Ronald Hernandez

1. TallestJohn
      1 month, 1 day ago

Just no end product for Koomson last season, he was okay but 1 goal is really poor considering how good they were. Even as a midfielder Rolantsson seems better value at 2m less. Also increased competition as Strand can play all across the midfield and attack.

5. Zladan

Meling Womrgoor Adekugbe
    Rashani Finne Knudtzon Shala
    StrandLarsen Boli Bamba

Whichne Aasback Diop RonaldHernandez

7. Yellin' in my Ear
    1 month, 1 day ago

Aasback may be injured. Looks decent to me (not an expert) though, what's your plan for GW2?

1. Zladan
      1 month, 1 day ago

I’m planning on filling the team with as many DGW2 players as I can now and saving the chips for a better week.

I could end up going Rich uncle though once we have a good grasp of who plays well.

1. Yellin' in my Ear
        1 month, 1 day ago

My plan too, have 11dgwers ready :+)

2. Johannes
      1 month, 1 day ago

I'm not sure he would be a nailed starter anyway. He's been getting a lot of competition from Sivertsen. In the final friendly their CB Ulvestad was injured. This lead to Coly moving to CB, and both Aasbak and Sivertsen starting. Ulvestad will go straight back in.

Aasbak also got injured, and on the top of that Kristiansund just signed right back Lindqvist on loan from Strømsgodset.

1. Eytexi
        1 month, 13 hours ago

Is Coly a better pick? Or should i look elsewhere for a 4.5m starting defender - need an enabler.

8. No Kane No Gain

Latest draft- please RMT

Johansen

Wormgoor, Hedenstad, Adekugbe

Eikrem, Finne, Brynhildsen, Odemarksbakken

Ohi, Strand Larsen, Vilhjalmsson

Arnebrott, Ingebrigsten, Haraldseid, R Hernandez

Not planning on using rich uncle in GW2, so looking to triple up on Valerenga and Molde. Doubled up on Brann defence but don't think any of their attackers are worth having.

9. Rash
    1 month, 1 day ago

Any sky bet users on here?

Had a dabble of the "yes no" coupon on the England game but cant remember what the questions were 😆

10. The 12th Man
    1 month, 1 day ago

Don’t really have a clue what I’m doing but here’s my draft.

McDerrmott
    Wormgoor,Vetlesen,Acosta
    Tønne,Eirkrem,Aursnes,Zachariassen
    Bolivia,Bamba,Skålevik

Barli,Aarsbak,Hernandez,Haarkenstad

11. Johannes
    1 month, 1 day ago

I don't have much time on my hand right now, but I'll post another article soon on mid-range/budget picks. I'll help out with RMTs towards the end of the week as well, but not right now.

12. JohnnyMagrinho

Current bench includes 3 KBK players:

McDermott (5)
    Ulvestad (5)
    Diop (4.5)
    + Hernandez (4)

Bringing Diop in allows me to have Eikrem along with Haraldseid and Ohi.

I know he's only 4.5m but his stats from last season look alright and he should start, no?

1. MTPockets
      1 month, 22 hours ago

He's in my current draft

2. Yellin' in my Ear
      1 month, 2 hours ago

Why are you benching McDermott?

1. JohnnyMagrinho
        1 month, 2 hours ago

Because I have Barli too.

I'd be amazed if Viking don't score GW1. Think Ranheim have more chance of a clean sheet this week.

McDermott will obviously play DGW2.

1. Yellin' in my Ear
          1 month, 45 mins ago

Fair enough, I've got McD as well but just leaving him as my only keeper.

13. JohnnyMagrinho
    1 month, 1 day ago

Current dilemma is regarding Eikrem.

HAVE
    a) Eikrem (11) and Brynhildsen (5.5)

WANT
    b) Hestad (9.5) and Rolantsson/Lokberg/Strand (6.5) + 0.5m
    With the DGW2 I feel like this might be the better choice as I'd then have 11 DGW players.

Am happy to give Eikrem a few weeks but don't want to be chasing points from the first few GWs because I didn't go with my gut and allowed myself to be blindsided by the DGW.

If it was just a normal GW I'd be set with A but because of the DGW I'm drawn towards B.
    Any ideas?

1. Dupuytrens
      1 month, 16 hours ago

I have not gone overboard on double game week players to start. I am planning for two captains for DGW2 and a side that will be OK up to first WC. I hit WC at GW9 last season I think.
      If it all goes to custard in GW1 then a two captains for GW2 and then WC GW3 could be on the cards.
      I am hoping the first game of the season tells us more and sets up a run with our squads until the international break.
      Stick with A imo but if it turns pear shaped in this game you can have a slow start and still come back with a good OR.
      Pears and custard early season have the required nutrition to give you you a boost later. Good luck.
      PS I must need more fibre in my diet 😉

Ederson
    Azpi • Lindelof • Tomkins
    Alli • Hazard • Pogba • Mili • Sterling
    Kun • Bats

1. JohnnyMagrinho
      1 month, 21 hours ago

Definitely the wrong thread for that post.

15. Spokey
    1 month, 11 hours ago

Anyone knows what formation Viking is playing? I think I remember Bytyqi playing upfront with another player in 442 a few seasons back. Is Bytyqi nailed? is he playing as a striker, nr10 or as a winger?

1. MTPockets
      1 month, 11 hours ago

Looks like 4-3-3 and winger from preseason

2. Johannes
      1 month, 4 hours ago

They play 433 as mentioned. I can't recall Bytyqi playing up front, he's a winger. If you are talking about their 2017 season when they were relegated I don't think they played much 442 at all..

1. Spokey
        29 days, 12 hours ago

It was a couple of years ago before they were relegated. My memory is probably off anyways. thanks for replys.

16. TallestJohn
    1 month, 6 hours ago

Sander Svendsen signs for Odd. He was a good pick when he was at Molde, think he was listed as a midfielder in 2017 then as a forward in Fantasy Allsvenskan. Could be worth a look if he's listed cheaper than Rashani.

1. Eytexi
      1 month, 4 hours ago

Reckon he's a better pick than Rashani if similarly priced? Currently have Rashani in my side.

2. Johannes
      1 month, 4 hours ago

I wouldn't even think about looking at anyone else than Rashani. He looks like such good value. Rashani is a good pick because he's a brilliant player, not because Odd's attack is any good.

I doubt he will come in much cheaper than Rashani anyway. Svendsen could become a decent pick during the season, but I don't see a single reason for considering him over Rashani at this stage.

3. Team Cruel
      1 month, 2 hours ago

Same price as Rashani.

17. No Kane No Gain
    1 month, 1 hour ago

I think my team is almost nailed on for the deadline but just need to check with you guys, so please RMT:

Johansen

Hedenstad, Wormgoor, Adekugbe

Finne, Eikrem, Brynhildsen, Odemarksbakken

Strand Larsen, Vilhjalmsson, Ohi

Arnebrott, Ingebrigsten, Haralseid, Ronald Hernandez

1. TallestJohn
      29 days, 22 hours ago

Very nice. Still nervous about going without RBK, Hedenstad could be a good differential. Johansen should be good as long as he's first choice. Think Sivertsen (KBK), Sell (MIF, could play as a winger) and maybe even Baccay (LSK) are more appealing 4m defenders than Hernandez.

Wish I could find room for Ødemarksbakken in my team but I just favour Tønne due to fixtures.

1. No Kane No Gain
        29 days, 1 hour ago

Ok thanks!

1. No Kane No Gain
          29 days, 59 mins ago

Also I have Hedenstad from RBK..

2. Zladan
      29 days, 11 hours ago

Same front 3 as I have. I think RBK cover is required.

18. Eytexi
    29 days, 23 hours ago

Gameweek 1 captains everyone?

I'm currently on Finne as my first ever fantasy Eliteserien captain - a good pick?

1. TallestJohn
      29 days, 22 hours ago

Yep of the players I actually own he looks the best pick. Could be tempted by Boli if I owned but setting up for 2C/AA chip

2. Yellin' in my Ear
      29 days, 21 hours ago

On Vilhjálmsson at present, seems as good as any so far.

3. Zladan
      29 days, 11 hours ago

Vilhjalmsson for me

4. JohnnyMagrinho
      29 days, 6 hours ago

Got Finne too. Looks to have one of the best fixtures.

19. Yellin' in my Ear
    29 days, 21 hours ago

Hi all, can I get some opinions in this, not sure where I'd get the extra for C yet, Diop would be a punt for GW2 and otherwise benched. Cheers.

A) Vega and Gjertsen (current)
    B) Diop and Shala (+0.5m)
    C) Diop and Finne (and find the additional 0.5m I need from somewhere)?

1. TallestJohn
      29 days, 21 hours ago

C!

2. Zladan
      29 days, 11 hours ago

I have C

3. Yellin' in my Ear
      29 days, 6 hours ago

Cheers both, need to find 0.5m somewhere now 😆

20. TallestJohn
    29 days, 21 hours ago

My team hasn't changed much in a while. Leaning towards using Attack Attack in GW2 but plenty of options for Two Captains too. Any glaring errors? 1.5m in the bank ready to get Rashani in a couple of weeks or in case RBK are actually good.

Sandberg
    Juarez, Wormgoor, Sivertsen
    Eikrem, Finne (K), Ingebrigtsen, Tønne
    Bamba, Ohi, Amang

Barli; Kalludra, Risa, Haraldseid

1. JohnnyMagrinho
      29 days, 18 hours ago

I think there's better options for a 3rd striker than Bamba for GW1.

I'm of the mindset of bringing him in for his double home games in GW2 after starting with Hoiland in GW1.

Tonne is on my radar too but I think Reginiussen has the potential to outscore him this season. Obviously you're saving a million by going with him, but I don't seem to be struggling to relocate those funds elsewhere.

2. Trevor Baretto
      28 days, 14 hours ago

Won't you use a scrub player that doesn't play so that you get the maximum points from the bench?

21. JohnnyMagrinho
    29 days, 18 hours ago

What's the consensus on Reginiussen?

Seems great value for points return on last season and definitely looks to have a good opening fixture at least.

To me he comes across as a great enabler with good chance of decent points return on a regular basis.

Midfield now consists of Hestad, Finne (K), Regi, Brynhildsen & Diop.

Playing Hoiland up top for week one which gives me 3.0ITB to do a straight swap for Bamba for the double.

1. TallestJohn
      29 days, 7 hours ago

Thought you were talking about Tore Regi until you said enabler lol

I think he'll be crucial if Ranheim are to stay up again but for 1m cheaper I prefer Tønne. The positions he gets into are very dangerous, even as a midfielder he's almost still OOP. The ball always seems to gravitate towards him in attack, think he's on corners as well.

22. Spokey
    29 days, 12 hours ago

I think the fullbacks (Meling and Hedenstad) are better value then Reginiussen.

1. Spokey
      29 days, 12 hours ago

Was reply to Johnny

23. Trevor Baretto
    29 days, 11 hours ago

Rate my team

GK: Rossbach - McDermott
    Defenders: Wormgoor - Meling - Heraldseid - Sell - Adekugbe
    Midfielders: Roalntsson - Eikrem - Vage Nilsen - Saltnes - Find
    Forwards: Boli - Strand Larsen - Bye

Who should I start for gameweek 1? My captains for gameweek one are Boli (C) and Eikrem (VC).

Any other suggestions?

1. TallestJohn
      29 days, 7 hours ago

Too much spent on keepers but the rest is decent. Downgrade one and upgrade Våge Nilsen, he was listed as a defender last season, plays LM but not much attacking threat. I'm benching Haraldseid GW1 as S08 (a) is a tough fixture

I fear (hope) B/G's pre-season form is a bit of a fluke so I'm avoiding them.

1. Trevor Baretto
        28 days, 14 hours ago

Which keepers should I get? I thought about keeping a DGW option ready

24. The Dogs Love Leeds
    29 days, 8 hours ago

Any experts out there give me a view on this team:

Rossbach (Arnebrott)
    Worm - Hedenstad - Haugen - (Pereira - Kvande)
    Finne - Hestad - Rashani - Rolantsson - (Diop)
    Ohi - Larsen - Vilhjalmsson

Plan to play first three defenders each week and happy with forwards. Not sure if there are better picks than Rolantsson for a regular midfield spot ?

1. JohnnyMagrinho
      29 days, 5 hours ago

Only thing is you have limited flexibility for DGW2 and your funds are bang on 100m.

- From what I've heard Rolantsson might not be as attacking this season.
      - People seem to be backing Skalevik more than Strand Larsen.
      - Finne/Hestad/Diop seem to be template midfield choices.
      - Not sure if you need to invest so much in defence and goalkeepers - 37% of your budget is currently invested there
      - Not sold on Haugen being an option. Haraldseid/Risa/J. Tollas/Ulvestad/Thomassen all seem better options to me

It's quite similar to my team and a lot of other players' teams I've seen on here and judging by TSB% on the site so it can't be too bad.

Just kind of hard to keep track of who is going to feature more for their clubs when the season starts, especially when you can't really read too much into pre-season friendlies.

1. The Dogs Love Leeds
        29 days, 5 hours ago

Thanks very much for the reply, should have said i intend to play Rich Uncle week 2 so looking to set up team for medium term. The idea behind Haugen was a set and forget Molde defender, if they are going to challenge presumably some clean sheets ? but i'll have a look at those you suggest.

Think i will change Rolantsson but happy to punt on Stand Larsen at that price and with that pre-season form.

1. JohnnyMagrinho
          29 days, 4 hours ago

I'm far from an expert by the way, I've just tried to advise you on what I've seen on this forum and around the net regarding these players.

The problem is for complete novices like me, I have very likely firsthand knowledge of these players and I'm trying not to let pre-season dictate too many of my decisions when building a team.

25. JohnnyMagrinho
    29 days, 6 hours ago

Seem to be hovering around the same points here - apologies - but I am faced with something of a defensive dilemma.

Have 4m OTB and looking to upgrade R. Hernandez to a 4.5m defender.

Initial thoughts were either Kvande or Demidov as they seemed to play the most last season.

Really struggling to find any line ups for these pre-season friendlies so not too sure which teams have changed their XIs over the break.

1. TallestJohn
      29 days, 5 hours ago

Someone posted this very useful pre-season spreadsheet which has most of the lineups (hasn't been updated for 3 days unless I've missed a newer version) https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nvm1cblp655ysq/Sesongoppkj%C3%B8ring%202019.xlsx?dl=0

Most of the match reports on the club sites are decent, they just take a while to find.

Kvande and Demidov both nailed as far as I can tell, just in fairly weak defensive teams. I think LSK quietly have some good options at the back and Mjøndalen's 4.5m back line seems settled but Sell is more tempting due to possibly playing on the wing

1. JohnnyMagrinho
        29 days, 4 hours ago

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

I am looking to obviously change my team over the coming weeks but would like a decent 4.5m defender I can have as backup.

Sell is interesting but currently flagged. Any update on that?

26. No Kane No Gain
    29 days, 37 mins ago

Play 2:

Ødemarksbakken (stb)
    Ingebrigsten (ran)
    Brynhildsen (LSK)
    Haralseid (s08)

Currently on middle 2, but don't like benching Ode.. Thoughts?

1. JohnnyMagrinho
      28 days, 21 hours ago

In terms of fixtures + position I’d agree.

Are we certain Ingebritsen will start? It’s not a bad game to go with a Tromsø player to be honest.

Saying that I’m probably going to start Brynhildsen with Haakenstad due to the latter’s pre-season form. Think he’s got 3 assists in like 5/6 games.