The ‘Sleeper’ series makes a welcome return to the Fantasy Football Scout pages this summer.
In these articles, we assess the Fantasy Premier League (FPL) players who failed to live up to former glories last season.
First up, Matt Doherty (£5.0m).
With Nuno Espirito Santo now in the Tottenham Hotspur hotseat, we assess whether or not the Republic of Ireland international can bounce back as an FPL asset this season.
2018/19: FPL Record and Stats
- Goals: 4
- Assists: 7
- Clean sheets: 8
- FPL points: 144 (3.8 per match)
Under Nuno at Wolves in the 2018/19 campaign, no defender took more shots than Doherty (46).
The Ireland international was also an ever-present for the Molineux side that season, which underscored the trust his manager had in him and Nuno’s fondness for a settled starting XI.
Above: Defenders in 2018/19 sorted by total attempts
Only Cardiff’s Sean Morrison (128) had more than Doherty’s 110 penalty-box touches.
The then Wolves man led all defenders for shots in the box (40) and big chances (nine), too.
Doherty also had more shots on target (17) than any other player in this positional bracket, with the right wing-back notching four goals.
Those outstanding shooting stats were not quite matched in the creativity stakes but nevertheless, only six defenders laid on more big chances than Doherty (nine) in 2019/20. The Irishman totalled seven assists over 35 starts.
He also topped the defenders’ ‘expected goal involvement’ chart in 2018/19, with his xGI of 8.56 putting him narrowly ahead of Trent Alexander-Arnold (8.16).
2019/20: FPL Record and Stats
Become a Member and get unrestricted access to our data and articles
Full-year memberships and monthly subscriptions are now available.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our brand NEW Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.