The 2019 UEFA European Under-21 Championship kicks off today, with several Premier League players set to be involved in the tournament.
Much like the Copa America, Africa Cup of Nations and CONCACAF Gold Cup, which also take place this summer, the competition could have repercussions for the new Fantasy Premier League campaign.
The European Under-21 Championship runs from June 16-30, finishing before any of the other tournaments listed above.
That leaves almost six weeks before the start of the new Premier League season, so even if pre-season regimes are subsequently affected, there would still seem a decent chance of the players being somewhere approaching full match-fitness by the weekend of August 10-11.
Given that there are only 12 nations taking part, even a run to the final would mean that a country only has to face five matches in total – two fewer than the four semi-finalists at the 2018 World Cup had to endure.
Aside from all the academy products who have yet to break through at senior level for their respective clubs, we’ll be seeing the likes of Aaron Wan-Bissaka, James Maddison, Harvey Barnes, Phil Foden and Dominic Calvert-Lewin in action at the European Under 21 Championship.
Leicester City have five players involved, four of whom are established Premier League names.
We’ll be keeping an eye on the various international tournaments taking place over the summer, documenting the minutes played and any injuries picked up by the FPL assets involved.
The Premier League players who have been selected for their countries at the European Under 21 Championship are as follows (all are representing England unless otherwise stated):
- Matteo Guendouzi (France)
- Reiss Nelson
- Lloyd Kelly
- Dominic Solanke
Brighton and Hove Albion
- Tudor Baluta (Romania)
- Tammy Abraham
- Jake Clarke-Salter
- Jay Dasilva
- Mason Mount
- Fikayo Tomori
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin
- Kieran Dowell
- Jonjoe Kenny
- Nikola Vlasic (Croatia)
- Harvey Barnes
- Filip Benkovic (Croatia)
- Hamza Choudhury
- Demarai Gray
- James Maddison
- Alex Pascanu (Romania)
- Kamil Grabara (Poland)
- Phil Foden
- Dean Henderson
- Freddie Woodman
- Angus Gunn
- Morgan Gibbs-White
Become a Member and access our data
Memberships for the rest of 2019/20 and the whole of 2020/21 are now available for the price of £17.50, while monthly subscriptions cost just £2.99.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our brand NEW Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.