Teemu Pukki‘s (£6.5m) goal against Liverpool in Gameweek 1 already has Fantasy managers concerned about doubling up on the Reds’ defence this season.
Liverpool kept 21 clean sheets last year, more than any other side, but are yet to register one in 2019/20 after conceding on Friday night.
Doubling-up on the Reds’ defence had previously proved a popular tactic this summer.
Virgil van Dijk (£6.5m) is still the most fashionable of the Liverpool back-line, owned by 50% of managers for the first Gameweek.
Meanwhile, as the first deadline of the campaign passed, Andrew Robertson (£7.0m) sat in 34% of squads, and Trent Alexander-Arnold (£7.0m) was in 24% of them.
Various combinations of these three defenders were also forming part of many a manager’s set
12.3% of all Fantasy managers had both van Dijk and Robertson for Gameweek 1, 7% paired the Dutchman with Alexander-Arnold while 6.8% owned both full-backs.
However, after Liverpool’s opening day display, there are those who are worried about whether they should be so heavily invested in Jurgen Klopp’s defence.
The injury to Alisson (£6.0m), expected to be out for at least a few weeks, is also giving some Fantasy managers cold feet about last season’s best back-line.
In this latest article, we will look at the data from Gameweek 1 to see how much we should be worried about Liverpool’s defence moving forward.
As this uses information from the Fantasy Football Scout Members Area, only those who have signed up for the 2019/20 campaign can access it in full.
How did Norwich do offensively on Friday night?
Become a Member and access our data
Memberships for the 2019/20 campaign are now available for the annual price of £17.50 or the monthly price of £2.99. For a limited time only, first-month memberships are available at a cut-price £1.99.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our brand NEW Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.
Lessons learned from Gameweek 1
- Liverpool 4-1 Norwich
- West Ham United 0-5 Manchester City
- Bournemouth 1-1 Sheffield United
- Burnley 3-0 Southampton
- Crystal Palace 0-0 Everton
- Watford 0-3 Brighton and Hove Albion
- Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Aston Villa
- Leicester City 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
- Newcastle United 0-1 Arsenal
- Manchester United 4-0 Chelsea