The 2018/19 season was the year of the defender from a Fantasy Premier League perspective, with the three best value-for-money FPL assets all belonging to Liverpool’s backline.
The Reds and Manchester City racked up 41 clean sheets between them (no team had recorded 20 shut-outs in a single campaign since 2011/12; last season we had two clubs achieving that) and six defenders hit double figures for attacking returns.
There was a lot of talk of FPL managers going ‘five at the back’ in pre-season, although the momentum behind that strategy stalled as we approached Gameweek 1 and lost further traction once 2019/20 begun.
Everton are the only club to have registered clean sheets in both of their top-flight fixtures, with Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs among the ten teams yet to record a single shut-out.
Clean sheets are just one route to points, of course, and we Fantasy managers love an FPL defender who can pick up the odd attacking return at the other end of the pitch.
With that in mind, our latest Members’ article takes a look at the defenders who have demonstrated an offensive threat in Gameweeks 1 and 2.
It is still very early days in the 2019/20 campaign, it should be said, and there has to be a big disclaimer about any findings in this article.
Certainly, we’ll get a better picture of the lay of the land once we’re a month or two into the new season and there is a bigger data sample to analyse.
Nevertheless, any early patterns can help us steal a march on other Fantasy managers and identity which defenders could chip in with a goal or assist over the coming Gameweeks – and possibly compensate for any loss of clean sheets.
Members can read on for this analysis, while those wishing to subscribe can do so by clicking here.
Become a Member and get unrestricted access to our data and articles
Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £17.50. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our brand NEW Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.