Scout Notes

Palace defence continues to attract interest despite uninspiring attack

Watford 0-0 Crystal Palace

Goals: None

Assists: None

Bonus Points: Vicente Guaita x3 (£5.0m), Martin Kelly x2 (£4.2m), Gary Cahill x2 (£4.5m)

The stock of Crystal Palace defenders continues to rise as they kept a third clean in a row at Watford on Saturday afternoon.

The Eagles’ total of six shutouts this season is bettered only by Leicester City so far and they still have favourable fixtures on the horizon, including Brighton (home), Newcastle (away), West Ham (home), Southampton (away) and Norwich (away).

Martin Kelly (£4.2m) and Vicente Guaita (£5.0m) are likely to be the chief beneficiaries of that run from a Fantasy perspective as they both added bonus points against Watford. Goalkeeper Guaita has now scored eight points or more in each of his last three outings too.

Palace’s achievements at the back have been made all the more impressive considering recent defensive and disciplinary issues they have had to overcome in the process.

Kelly has been a reliable source of points since Ward was ruled out with injury

They kept Bournemouth out in midweek with a number of absences at centre-back and came into Gameweek 16 with similar issues.

Mamadou Sakho (£5.0m) was sent off on Tuesday evening, earning a three-match suspension in the process, while Patrick van Aanholt (£5.5m) sustained a potentially long-term hamstring injury at Selhurst Park that night.

With Joel Ward (£4.4m) also out until January with a knee problem, it meant Roy Hodgson went to Watford with no recognised full-backs, versatile options Kelly and Jeffrey Schlupp (£5.5m) deputising on the right and left respectively.

The Palace manager was boosted by the return to full fitness of Gary Cahill (£4.5m), who started alongside James Tomkins (£5.0m), and Scott Dann (£4.3m), who was named among the substitutes, but the injuries still continued to pile up as make-shift left-back Schlupp had to be replaced by centre-back/defensive midfielder Jairo Riedewald (£4.5m) at half-time having picked up a muscular injury.

“All these muscle injuries have to be assessed and the doctors won’t give you any idea at the moment to the extent of it, but it was forced upon us.” – Roy Hodgson

Cahill was a key player for Palace in their draw at Watford

Despite the ongoing issues, Palace continued to defend well against Watford, with Riedewald, operating very well in a position that he is not used to playing in.

“We were obliged to put Jaïro in, and he did exceptionally well in a position that he certainly hasn’t played many games for us in, and to come in, in the second half and play a Watford team who play the ball forward quickly and play with wingers and he coped very well. We were fortunate that happened because we really have been so unlucky because at the start of the season we said we don’t want injuries at right and left-back because we need [Joel] Ward and Patrick van Aanholt there all the time; we didn’t get that.” – Roy Hodgson

Palace’s best defensive asset at Vicarage Road was Cahill, whose last-ditch tackle on Ismaïla Sarr (£6.2m) was his most vital contribution.

His return to fitness should not be underestimated as Palace continue to face favourable opposition over the Christmas period.

“It would be easy to say I am surprised (at Cahill’s performance), but I am not that surprised, because I knew how good a player he is. He was a regular for four years in my England team, so I knew how good he was. What I perhaps didn’t know quite so well was how it had gone for him at Chelsea, when he didn’t play as many games. So there was that element and not knowing 100 per cent if he would be the same Gary Cahill I knew from three years ago, but of course, he is.” – Roy Hodgson

Zaha has not shown much in either of the last two matches to encourage investment

However, Palace’s attacking assets are still struggling to match-up to their defensive colleagues in terms of Fantasy potential.

After scoring in back-to-back matches in Gameweeks 13 and 14, it’s now two blanks in a row for Wilfried Zaha (£6.8m).

While you could make a case that Palace were limited in attack against Brighton by Sakho’s early red card, they did not have such mitigating circumstances at Watford.

In truth, the Eagles provided very little attacking threat, Zaha epitomising that perfectly by not once registering a shot on goal. The fact that he was unable to do so against a poor Watford side is unlikely to endear Fantasy managers to him even if the schedule is appealing.

That said, Hodgson did make a point of highlighting the attention Zaha received from Watford players on Saturday afternoon, the Ivory Coast international the most-fouled player.

“It was pretty clear in the first half they were going to mark him tightly, and there is nothing wrong with that, I fully understand that, and if I had been the opposition manager, I also would have been making certain that he didn’t get much time and space.” – Roy Hodgson

James McArthur (£5.2m) and Jordan Ayew (£5.1m) were the two Crystal Palace players who came the closest to scoring.

Midfield man McArthur found himself free on the left in the first half but could not even test Ben Foster (£4.8m) with his effort, dragging it wide.

In the second period, Ayew drifted from his centre-forward berth onto the right flank, got around Adam Masina (£4.3m) with a stepover and rifled a shot over the bar.

Deeney’s presence for Watford will be a help to them under new manager Pearson

In truth, it was Watford who looked the more likely to score than the visitors. Yes, Palace defended better than their hosts but the Hornets still created better chances.

“The first half was quite even but in the second half we were the ones on the front foot, and we pushed them back for large periods of the game. We didn’t really get any clear-cut chances which we looked at and it was a bit disappointing, but it was a great performance, the lads gave absolutely everything and I’m sure we’ll go again next week.” – Hayden Mullins

In the second half, some head-tennis in midfield, helped along by Troy Deeney (£6.2m), who was making his second start in a row since coming back from injury, set Gerard Deulofeu (£6.1m) on a run through the middle. The former Everton man could only place his effort wide of Guaita’s goal.

Late-on, a rare error from Kelly gifted the ball to Andre Gray (£5.6m), triggering something of a goalmouth scramble.

Tomkins’ tackle only went as far as Deeney, who scuffed his shot. Sarr managed to get on the end of the loose ball but Guaita smothered it to secure the point and clean sheet for Palace.

With Nigel Pearson appointed as the Watford manager on Friday, it was too late in the week for him to have much impact on selection and tactics. Therefore, it must be said that there is only a limited amount we can glean from the Hornets’ latest outing moving forward.

“(Nigel) just said a few words with the lads, he introduced himself, went around the group and shook everyone’s hands. He had a few words to say just before the boys went out which was brilliant. I think one of the reasons the club appointed him is they know his pedigree, he’s a top manager and he’s got a good group of players, which is brilliant as well.” – Hayden Mullins

Watford XI (4-2-3-1): Foster; Masina, Cathcart, Kabasele, Femenía; Capoue, Doucouré (Chalobah 78′); Deulofeu, Pereyra (A Gray 77′), Sarr; Deeney.

Crystal Palace XI (4-5-1): Guaita; Schlupp (Riedewald 46′), Cahill, Tomkins, M Kelly; Zaha, McArthur, Milivojevic, Kouyaté (McCarthy 83′), Townsend (Benteke 73′); Ayew.

Members Analysis

View full match data in the Members Area

MEMBERS AREA HOME PAGE

Become a Member and access our data

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £17.50, which will give subscribers access to the end of 2019/20 and the whole of 2020/21. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99.

1. StayoutheSpiceZone

Injuries aside, these boys ready for action?

Pope
    Aurier Cahill Lunds
    Son Mane KDB Alli Pulisic
    Vardy (c) Rashford

Thanks and good luck!

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Looking great

2. hugothedog

that is one great looking team tbh

2. HurriKane

With 3 pl defeats in last 4 gws Lampard will play his strongest side against Bournemouth to regain back the confidence right?

I see some suggesting there could be rotation. Thoughts are welcomed.

1. BobbyDoesNotLook

Good point. They need to win but is keeping the same XI after couple of bad games the answer for showing their best guns?

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

Surely they will go for it against BOU.
      Pulisic and Tammy can come off after an hour when they are 3 nil up.

1. Don Kloppeone

They can come off when they like as long as Mount gets at least a brace 😉

3. Amey

Pulisic hattrick would be nice

3. BobbyDoesNotLook

Team value only 103.8. According to ffix that is -1.1 compared to top 10k. Last year I was that much above top 10k in tv most of the time.

Let's see what happens with ranking and how large of a problem is tv going to be. Currently 140k approx and last year ended in top1k.

How is your tv currently compared to your rank?

I find TV is largely proportional to how many hits you take.

I see a lot of insane TV teams sitting at like 200-300K but have made a ton of transfers and are basically playing stock market and hoping that their greater team value will translate to points later on in the season.

Problem is, they get addicted to hits and end up treading water. If they found a balance they could be extremely good.

1. Devo-McDuff

Might be true in some cases but there are other ways to achieve high TV. I was at 107 not long ago without taking a hit all season.

My strategy is to transfer early in GW if there are going to be risers but only if it is the transfer I would make late in GW anyway, you run the risk of injury midweek but I think the risk is worth it if you have a decent bench.

1. HashAttack

Early transfers in and out .. .my no 1 rule is never lose SV on a player, I will take a hit any day as opposed to losing 100K. A secondary rule which is probably worth following is to sell any play once he has made you 300K to 400K profit, their form usually drops off after such a run

1. Devo-McDuff

Not sure about that, I don't really like putting points before value. I just think the risk of a midweek injury is worth an early transfer to catch rises or miss falls. The only time I would take a hit related to value is if I know I will be priced out of long term plans if I didn't. For me value should be a by-product and a consideration, but not the main motivation.

1. HashAttack

If a player is dropping in value then its usually a bad sign as far as prospective points are concerned - not always but typically. It rarely pays to keep a player whose form has gone off and whose value is dropping. It really is about the points not the value, but the change in value is an effective "group think" indicator of a player's prospective points

2. BobbyDoesNotLook

Last year did zero hits but every move seemed to work so did not need to really and when I chose conservative trading strategy it paid off points wise. This year has not been that easy and so far jumping quickly on bandwagons have paid off quite well (expect Puli which I did quite quickly).

I am not yet concerned about the team value since there a lot of good mid priced options this year. If big hitters start to gain form then I might have more trouble.

2. Don Kloppeone

I'm not sure TV at this stage is so vital, especially with so much value in the cheaper picks.

I have TV of 105.4 and rank of c. 130k - 5 green arrows in my last 6 so heading the right direction.

Trying to focus on being sensible and avoiding hits atm

I think it matters this season. I've lost a lot of 0.1s that will end up mattering on my WC. Even now, I'm struggling to come up with a good WC and have been forced to give up TAA for a few weeks.

I'm at 105.6. I emphasize team value a lot though because I feel like that's one of the most tangible ways you can get an edge.

If I'm putting more value on the field than you are week on week (including having a fodder/cheap bench), with good investment, I'm going to score better than you over time assuming that FPL towers have priced players well, which they mostly do year on year.

1. Don Kloppeone

I hear what you’re saying.

I guess I have been swayed recently as I have had > £6m cash itb three weeks running and had green arrows so it’s making me think the TV isn’t much of a driving force

3. I SPEAK ENGELS AND DRINK GI…

I dont know but my team value is 106,5 and rank is 15k

• Fulchester's New Centr…

Both crap.
        Might do the stock market thing that Camzy mentions next year for a change from my normal conservative style.

• Amey

OR 260k
        TV 105.9
        (I've sold player's like Tammy/Jimenez/Mount recently which took the TV down & taken drops on Salad/CHO/Lascells too)

• g40steve

What happened to Bubbles was it?
        He was doing hundreds of transfers & playing dead teams, seems as much if not more fun?

1. Amey

Dribbles not bubbles 😀

1. g40steve

Did he get banned, think he did 400+ transfers one day!
            Obviously not much work getting done 🙂

1. Amey

God knows

• BenjoBD

Or 250k TV 105.2m

I tend to take a lot of hits but trying hard to reign it in this season. I've used my wildcard already and I'm tied in with players like KDB. When your looking at a late wildcard around the dgw's like I am and have used your first wildcard I think it goes out of the window. I think building value and wildcarding around now is a valid tactic. Problem is most of these huge rises are around template players so your less likely to ditch anyway. Like I say I've got. 6tied up in KDB and am unlikely to let him go easily and its the same with my pretty much template team.

• HashAttack

It's only SV that is relevant for when you WC or do transfers

If you have a big gap between TV and SV then you are likely to be reluctant to transfer some players - e.g. many people did not sell Tammy for 7.5 as they would need to buy back at 7.9

(107.7 TV / 104.8 SV)

1. BobbyDoesNotLook

That is also very true.

4. chatynho

Right now GW17 lineup:
        Ryan(button)
        TAA robbo soy lund tomori
        Mane KDB Alli cantwell kayal
        Vardy Jimi Ings

Planning WC 18 or 19gw, but price of players i want to buy is rising and my holdings are downward.

WC possibility
        Ryan butt
        Taa Soy kelly lund rico
        Mane son D.silva Alli Grealish
        Vardy Rash greenwood

Any ideas?

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

WC looks good, but current team ok too. Hold as long as you can.

1. Christina.

time us up.

1. chatynho

yep, i was thinking about GW19 to bring WC, but the price of the players is still goin downwards...

2. Lignja

Need 4.4m or less defender (most of time bench/rotate with Kelly/Rico for 3th defender spot)

On ElMohamady atm since he give me 0.2m more than i need so can afford Alli to rise before i get him

1. Lignja

Pulisic to Alli next week*

2. I SPEAK ENGELS AND DRINK GI…

Elmohamady is gonna get benched a lot

• Fulchester's New Centr…

Elmo has been talked about on here today. Need to go up to Guilbert or Targett I think.
              Newcastle Clark is 4.3 if fit.

• MANGE TOUT RODNEY

I'm looking at Targett if he is fit.

1. Lignja

Me 2 but probably need to make transfer today esspecialy if picking 4.4m due Jimenez drop...

3. Richard Richard (AKA: Anzhi…

Am I right to bench Soy? Saving my FT.
            Ryan
            TAA Lundstram Robbo
            Kdb Mane Alli Pulisic
            Jimenez Vardy Abra
            Bench - Button Soy Rico Dendo

1. Christina.

1. Richard Richard (AKA: Anzhi…

Who would be your pick?

1. Christina.

I would play Soy over lundy

2. claretparrot

I'd play Soy over Lund personally

3. Fulchester's New Centr…

Doesn't seem right to me, but not sure what you should be doing instead.

4. Holmes

Maybe over Lundstram

5. Richard Richard (AKA: Anzhi…

Thanks it's true that villa probably more likely to score than Norwich

4. claretparrot

Hi all. Really stuck this week, so blank canvas for suggestions and any help would be much appreciated!

Hendo
            Soy - Trent - Kelly
            KdB - Pulisic - Salah - Madds
            Vardy - Tammy - Jiménez
            [Button - Lund - Tomori - Cantwell]

2 FT, 0.4 ITB

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Tomori out for a cheapo. Villa seem popular.
              2 FT next week.

1. claretparrot

Yeah this could be the right call as bench is looking even emptier now Cantwell is back out of the picture

2. Aftermath

Tomori-> Aurier/Willems/Guilbert

1. claretparrot

Like the Guilbert shout for fixtures and better nailedness

5. GloryManUnited

Pope
            VVD-Soy-Lund
            Mane-KDB-Puli-Madd-Alli
            Vardy-Rash

Button-Kelly-Tomori-Connely

Anything pressing needed this week?

1. claretparrot

V nice!

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

You know there isn't.

1. GloryManUnited

I felt confident, but also know that Tomori needs to be addressed. Did Williams>>Kelly because I had exact funds.

3. TB303

Is this a WC? very nice !!

6. I SPEAK ENGELS AND DRINK GI…

Bench one
              A) Lundstram avl h
              B) Söyuncu nor h
              C) Kelly bha h

1. claretparrot

Kelly or Lund - coin toss

2. MANGE TOUT RODNEY

Same boat.

Based on form it has to be Lundstram.

3. TB303

Kelly

4. Amey

Kelly has lowest ceiling amongst them this GW

• Amey

With popular player's teams having excellent fixtures this GW like:
              Burnley (Newcastle Home)
              Pool (Watford Home)
              SHU (Villa Home)
              Leicester (Norwich Home)
              United (Everton Home)

Also, City & Spurs playing away to leaky teams, this GW has the potential to be one of the highest scoring gw's of the season !!

(We know 30/40 is coming though 😛 )

1. Amey

Might be a good time to play BB for many 😮

2. claretparrot

Always the way - the starts align and every f**ker blanks!

1. claretparrot

stars align*!

2. Amey

😀

3. Fulchester's New Centr…

Last couple of weeks looked liked they could be 3 figure score weeks too, but didn't happen for many (certainly not me anyway).

1. Amey

Yeah.
                  Rotation maybe. Pretty decent gw's though avg wise last 2.

I'm expecting big things this GW tbh

• TB303

Tammy -> Rashford on a free?

1. claretparrot

Not this week. Bournemouth now without their best defender and were already in it

2. TB303

Ok thanks

3. Jullepuu

Tammy is a good long term pick imo but so is Rashford. I'm trying to get them both in

4. Jullepuu

What move should I make? 1 free transfer and 3.4 in the bank.

Guaita Button
                  TAA Robbo Soy Lund Reid
                  Mane KDB Alli Mount Hayden
                  Connolly Vardy Jimenez

Thinking about doind Connolly to Abraham

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Certainly a big upgrade and better team shape.

1. Jullepuu

Thanks. So many moves I want to make but I don't want to take too many hits. 1-2 max in the next 5 game weeks or so.

1. Amey

Tammy this gw & sell Mount next gw for Grealish

1. Jullepuu

Agreed on those moves but then I would only field 9 players + goalkeeper for game week 18. Robbo to Aurier/Dunk for a hit could be good. I could then do Jimenez to Rashford for game week 19.
                              Shame that these plans never go like pictured.

1. Amey

Didn't see that, my bad

1. Jullepuu

Well I don't see any better moves myself so I guess I can take a hit for game week 18 and be happy with it

1. Amey

Yep
                                      Don't bring a player for a hit with only GW 18 in mind though.
                                      Blank gw's are low scoring mostly so it's waste anyways

1. Jullepuu

True but there is going to be quite a bit of rotation so it's nice to have someone like Lundstram first on your bench. One of the cheap guys is going to have a bad fixture every game week anyway.

1. Jullepuu

Lundstram has bad fixtures game weeks 20-24 and Aurier could do great. I get your point though!

2. liverpool01

Team looks good I would do Connolly to Abraham

1. Jullepuu

Cheers!

• liverpool01

Guaita
                              Taa, Soyuncu, Lundstram
                              Pulisic, Kdb, Son, Mane
                              Abraham, Jimenez, Vardy(C)

Button, Kelly, Dendoncker, Lowton

0.3 ITB 0 Transfers

Gtg?

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Wouldn't take any hits, no.

2. Jullepuu

Gtg

1. liverpool01

Thanks guys

3. Atimis

FYI, Fabianski said that he has like 2 weeks till he will be able to start kicking the ball again and they will see from there when he may be back 😉

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Martin + Button a viable option then?

1. Atimis

Should be for 3 weeks

4. Dynamic Duos

What to do here ? 2fts 0.2m itb.

Pope
                                TAA Soyuncu Lundstram
                                Salah Martial Maddison Pulisic
                                Aubameyang Vardy Jiminez

Button Tomori Cantwell Hanley

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Tomo out.
                                  2 FT next week - one of them involving downgrading Auba.

2. liverpool01

Auba> Rashford

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

This, I got confused by Arsenal's game tonight.

3. CRO KLOPP

Tomori to Kelly

5. dshv

The only good thing to see tonight is how baldock coming in for mane...

6. CRO KLOPP

Wow, I just saw that brutal KO in which Overeem got his lip split in half, 4 secs to go in 5th round

1. liverpool01

Lol his lip looks nasty!

1. CRO KLOPP

Yes,he got caught u indeed

7. FOO FIGHTER

Double Pool defence on the cards after GW18. We are LFC.!!!

#UnstoppableJuggernaut

1. MoManeTaa

Not until matip is back - lovren is aweful

1. FOO FIGHTER

May not be as many clean sheets as yet but they will come 🙂

• bench boost for every gamew…

unless you live in another time zone, drunk at this time of the day is not recommendable
                                        i would not have double pool def either but to say Lovren is awful, that´s just, i don´t know really. Have you seen Liverpool games? Have you seen Croatia?
                                        1. He is not the fastest, sometimes a bit rash, and has some fitness issues, but
                                        2 He reads the game well, his positional sense is right up there, duels and battles for the ball he is very adept at, times his tackles well. He is not as pompously as his partner but more of a non nonsense kind of stopper in the mould of Carragher. And while he does some mistakes, he is also capable of bully the likes of Lukaku, Kun, Kane etc.

Reason why Liverpool tends to be less tight this season is more complex than one player being bad. And while fewer cs than last year the amount of goals is approx the same.

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

#UnstoppableJuggernaut probably right, but first line is not really, is it?

3. Amey

Yep
                                      liVARpool has been unstoppable juggernaut this season !

1. Bouncebackability

Are you not bored of saying that yet?! Considering it’s a load of ol’ tosh.

1. Amey

This is literally first time i said this. Used to read it here & thought i must try once.
                                          Glad i tried 😀

2. Champions united

Jimmy to rash or ings
                                    Already have tammy and vardy

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Rash

3. MoManeTaa

Best TAA replacement for GW18 and 19?

man united and villa have got gud fixtures...

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Targett if fit, Utd defence too dear for what it is.

2. liverpool01

I wouldn't go near a Man Utd defender, only 2 clean sheet

4. soup natsi

With Jimmy falling and Rash rising it’s hard not to pull the trigger right now before all CL games. At least have money itb and another ft.

1. Holmes

An injured Rashford wont look good in team 😉

1. Amey

Rashford won't play in the UEL with United having already qualified for the next round i guess. Maybe a cameo if OGS wants to keep to spot & us behind in the game

5. Cto

Ryan
                                    TAA Soy Lund
                                    Mane KDB Madd Pulisic
                                    Vardy Tammy Jimmy

Button, Mount, Kelly, Rico

2FT 0.5ITB. Should I start mount ahead of Jimmy? Should I ship someone for a spurs asset?

Thanks for the help

6. chatynho

Right now GW17 lineup:
                                      Ryan(button)
                                      TAA robbo soy lund tomori
                                      Mane KDB Alli cantwell kayal
                                      Vardy Jimi Ings

WC possibility
                                      Ryan butt
                                      Taa Soy kelly lund rico
                                      Mane son D.silva Alli Grealish
                                      Vardy Rash greenwood

Any ideas?

• It’s gonna Ben Mee

Would be very convenient if Martial hits form now

• jtreble