Pro Pundit Teams

Key player and team stats for FPL Double Gameweek 22

So, it’s confirmed that we are to have a Double Gameweek 22. I still haven’t made my mind up in terms of what to do but my first instinct is to not use the Free Hit because of the decent assets I have from Liverpool, West Ham United and Everton. That said, the plan is not set in stone and I still want to let thoughts simmer in my head for a while. With this article, I just plan to highlight a few stats and factors with regards to the teams who double.

All figures in this piece are from the Premium Members Area.

In the last four matches, Watford are in the bottom five in the league for expected goals (xG) cumulated. It is worth noting that they faced Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur in that period, however, and they are middle of the pack when looking at xG for the last six matches. I wouldn’t touch their defensive assets as they are the second-worst in the league for expected goals conceded (xGC) in their last half-dozen fixtures and are without a clean sheet all season.

Two out of the Hornets’ next three opponents, Newcastle United and Norwich City, are in the bottom six for xGC in the last six matches. It is also worth noting that Watford play on Saturday, Tuesday and Friday, which makes it three games in a period of six days; an already slim squad has got slimmer with a handful of their players going to AFCON.

Out of the teams doubling, Tottenham Hotspur have the best xGC in the last six matches. That said, they are facing two teams who are in the top six for xG in their last half-dozen outings, Arsenal and Leicester City. Spurs face Southampton and Wolves in Gameweek 24 and 25 so are a decent mid-term investment, at least.

Despite Manchester United’s on-field and off-field problems, they are in the top six for xGC in the last six matches. Aston Villa and Brentford are in the bottom half of the table for xG using the same criteria. In fact, until Gameweek 27, all the teams they face are in the wrong half of the table for xG with the exception of West Ham United.

That is all from me this week and I will see you next week with another piece.

On a completely separate note, I just wanted to say a word for my cousin who I lost in the last few days. He introduced me to football and is responsible for me being so passionate about the sport and FPL. May his soul rest in peace. This is the third loss my family has had to face in a very short period of time so I just wanted to add that don’t take your health for granted and do everything you can to protect it. And show as much love as possible to your near and dear ones.

Until next time.

Full-year memberships and monthly subscriptions are all now available.

• Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
  • Get access to Members content in over 250+ articles over the season.
  • Enjoy our Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.

1. My heart goes Salalalalah

When are they removing the EVE vs LEI fixture from FPL?

1. Boly Would

Gone just now by the looks of it...

1. My heart goes Salalalalah

I see. Cheers

2. Rupert The Horse

Refresh.

1. My heart goes Salalalalah

Was just done, after my motivation 😉

1. Rupert The Horse

What else can you do?

3. FPL Brains

It's been done

2. Live Scoutcast - leave your questions here
    J0E

**Double Gameweek Special Live Scoutcast**

Tues 8pm

Seb has other commitments so just Andy and I tomorrow.

Please leave your questions here about #DGW22

#fpl

1. Rupert The Horse

Is it too risky to engage chips at the moment?

1. J0E

too risky to even bring a player in|! 😉 We will certainly discuss chips though...I understand that one of us is considering its deployment.

1. Gazwaz80

Is this the legendary ‘ Joe’ from FFS? 🙂

2. Jafooli

Would winning FPL this season have the same gravitas as winning in a normal season?

Serious question - seems a bit like if the PL was decided on a coin toss or 38.

1. The Train Driver

I actually think this season is less based on luck since the whole Covid situation requires much more reasearch and planning. Avoiding teams with high risk of postponement, picking players who recently had Covid, planning for AFCON etc...

1. Ⓙⓐⓡⓥⓘⓢⓗ

😆

2. CrouchDown

Haha someone has clearly benefitted from the random chaos

3. DARWIN'S DINOSAURS

Leicester vs Everton is a strong argument against your comment. Like the Pool postponement, it smacks of cheating the system. Afcon stands out.

2. Ⓙⓐⓡⓥⓘⓢⓗ

I think if you won it you wouldn't really care.

3. Make Arrows Green Again

I think anyone who stuck at the game throughout the entire season deserves the kudos of winning at least as much this season as any other: not giving up, not wasting chips at times when fixtures could be postponed with a couple of hours' notice, not focusing on the bad luck whilst ignoring the equal amount of good luck we think we think we deserve by being engaged managers but probably don't.

I reckon anyone inside the top 150k could win it this season. There are people just inside the top million now who will make top 10k. That makes this season unusually exciting and competitive from a fantasy perspective. The luck argument/excuse comes up time and time again but it only accounts for pockets of isolated points at isolated times. My main work league of 100+ teams has all the usual suspects at the top. The guy who usually wins it will almost certainly win it again. Luck might make the difference between a #1 finish and a #1,000 finish, a 10k or a 50k finish, but luck just describes the error bars around where your skill has taken you. Those error bars are bigger this year, certainly, but they have always been there.

1. Oneman

Totally agree MAGA. Well said. People need to maintain a little perspective when they have a bad game week (of which I've had my fair share sitting somewhere 250k ish). Still plenty of time left to make up any ground lost in mini leagues.

2. Make Arrows Green Again

"We think we think" apparently, I've gone full Always Cheating:)

3. Make Arrows Green Again

You will, of course, be covering the DGW players likely to be the most popular choices in DGW22. I would like to know which SGW players you think could end up outscoring their DGW counterparts. For example, Jota vs Brentford and Antonio vs Leeds could easily outscore the likes of Lucas Moura, Wood, Rashford etc.

4. Crunchie

Have many SGW fixtures being postponed would change your chip strategy, especially if teams from well-owned clubs like Liverpool Arsenal was Man City was postponed?

Are the GW30 and possibly GW27 (especially with the potential of a DGW 26 and blank GW27 for Liverpool) a good play?

5. dunas_dog

Should we ignore lure of double week players with our week 22 transfers and play game simply and just target players from teams with best fixtures (and/or form) going forward form over next few weeks. For example City, Villa.

6. DARWIN'S DINOSAURS

A caveat to the arguments relating to chip strategy would be to cancel all chips. Less people will bet good or bad luck by their deployment. I am talking from the position of having all my chips so there is no favoritism in my situation. Anybody who used their chips, good luck to them.

7. The Sociologist

Who is your FPL team of the season so far? With lots of uncertainly for the upcoming gameweek, a look back on this season’s best performers/your favourite person picks might be a nice break from the ‘what ifs’

1. The Sociologist

I guess this is more a request for a segment, rather than a question, but would be interesting to see if covered nonetheless 🙂

2. RedLightning

The current FPL Dream Team based on total points so far is (4-5-1, current cost 85.0m):
        Sa
        TAA, Cancelo, Dias, Rudiger
        Salah, Son, Bernardo, Jota, Bowen
        Dennis
        (Antonio, Rudiger and Dennis are all on 92 points, but Antonio is more expensive than the other two).

If however the Dream Team was based on points per match, with a minimum of 10 games played, then it would be (still 4-5-1, current cost 83.1m):
        Ramsdale
        TAA, Cancelo, James, Tierney
        Salah, Son, Foden, Gallagher, Mount
        Dennis
        (Mount and Jota are both on 5.3ppg, but Mount is cheaper)

Which of these teams do you prefer, and should any other players be included?
        (Interesting that Salah and Son are the only 10.0+ players to qualify, even though price was not a consideration, apart from the marginal players mentioned above).

1. RedLightning

The template of players with the current highest ownership, however, is (4-3-3):
          Ramsdale
          TAA, Cancelo, Dias, Rudiger
          Salah, Jota, Son
          Antonio, Dennis, Ronaldo
          (This is fairly similar to the other two Dream Teams, apart from the formation and the inclusion of Ronaldo).

1. The Sociologist

Thank you for your replies, really considered. The site of James in any of these teams does make my soul hurt slightly. Other than that some expected names!

If we were going purely on a qualitative basis, as in who you as a manager had the most affinity for, would that correlate with points? In my purely subjective team of the season, I’d have Livramento for all his 6s off the bench for sure.

1. RedLightning

My teams listed above would only be for the first eleven.
              Livramento would be a strong candidate for the bench.

2. RedLightning

The bench might be something like Foster, Livramento, King and Broja, if that is affordable.

8. The Sociologist

What to do with all the flags! Foden, Trent, Son, Dennis just in my team alone are doubts for the upcoming DGW. Should we also wave the metaphorical white flag and just cross our fingers these players start, or should we be looking to move them on?

9. just a man

Do the fixture postponements suggest we'll have better doubles to look forward to later in the season and therefore save chips? Or are we better striking sooner, like how free hitters over Xmas did quite well.

10. Hooky

Any New Year's resolutions? Mine was to drink alcohol every day in January and I haven't broken it yet.

1. im1974

That was my resolution in 1989. Still abiding by it

11. Monty the Magpie

How come you're not in the Mods & Cons league anymore?

Be honest... did you rage quit after a few sherries?

12. circusmonkey

Based on the replies above and what I see here generally, the biggest current topic is whether the complaints about bad luck and randomness are valid, or whether they are from people that aren't adjusting to the times we are in.

3. WATERMELONS

Sorry for your loss Pranil. My thoughts with you and your family at this difficult time. Thank you for your message about remembering what is most important. So true

4. I Member

A) Son -> Fernandes/Maddison -4
    B) Play Dawson (LEE)

5. FPL Brains

Also, sorry for your loss Pranil. All the best to you and your family.

1. St Pauli Walnuts

Well said

6. J0E

So sorry to read about your loss Pranil and your cousin's important place not only in your family but also your interest in football and fpl.

7. Jafooli

FPL has turned into complete dog chocolate this season 😆

If I won it, I’d be embarrassed……

1. Holmes

I would take the prize and officially announce the retirement 😆

1. Murder on Zidane's Flo…

And miss out on the lucrative content creation circuit?

2. Junglist95

It's certainly not boring!

• Sterling Archer

triple Everton?

• St Pauli Walnuts

I'm embarrassed that you'd be embarrassed if you won it.

3. vova

Sorry for your loss Pranil, we are all here for you. ❤️

4. panda07

Great article Pranil, your cousin would be proud. Very sorry to hear of your loss and best wishes to you and your family.

5. Cammick

Sorry to hear about the loss, I was in a similar situation in 2020.

Wish you and the family the best

6. zeslinguer

who are people predicting to go down this season?

1. Holmes

Brentford, Norwich, Watford

1. Holmes

Oh, Brentford is 12th with 23pts

Probably Newcastle then

2. NateDog

Hard to look past the current bottom 3 of Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley. Leeds are getting dragged into a relegation battle though and I expect them to still be close to the line come March with Philips expected to be out until then, especially with Bamford's injury issues continuing

3. Goodfeathers

Norwich, Watford, Newcastle

4. NorCal Villan

Lisa Ann

5. Karan14

Best Son replacement if I dont want any DGW mids and already own Jota, Foden, Bowen & Gray?

Just not feeling inspired by the Moura & Maddison picks.

1. Dark Side Of The Loon!

KDB

1. Karan14

Too expensive unfortunately. I wouldnt be able to get Watford striker also for Broja if I get KDB.

2. vova

Raphinha?

1. Karan14

He's the one at the top of my list atm.

3. popey

Mount is probably going to my pick - don't hate Moura on current form and with Son out his minutes should be fairly secure

1. Karan14

Mount face Spurs and 2 blanks after DGW not an option for me.

Moura is okay but without Son Spurs are probably worse. Fixtures are also okayish after double not too great.

6. More Cowbell

Need FPL back, I’m getting bored of Wordle

1. The Point About It Is

Did you struggle with today's query Cowbell?

7. Botman and Robben

I have 5 flagged players on my team. Anyone with more?

1. Karan14

5 here too. But hopefully Foden, TAA & Dier should be okay.

2. SINGH

4 here. Seriously considering freehit and load up on 11 DGW players instead of the measly 3 I have now thanks to Son injury.

3. Cammick

7 here sad face

1. Botman and Robben

FH territory...

1. Cammick

Getting there, but everyone has taa so I would say technically 6..right...right!?

1. Botman and Robben

I guess you could look at it like that.

4. Ⓙⓐⓡⓥⓘⓢⓗ

Just 3, but the other 12 are crap

5. Holmes

lets see...

1. Holmes

8. Cammick

7 here sadface

1. Cammick

Reply fail

9. More Cowbell

Howdy Folks, why is Dier flagged? Missed that one?

1. NateDog

Conte: "Eric Dier, yeah [an injury], but I hope nothing serious"

2. Moxon

Although Conte told the press that Dier missed out against Chelsea due to illness, he has now claimed the England international has picked up a minor injury. However, he added that he hopes it is nothing serious.

10. rnrd

is there any place we caould find a heat map of the players for the Leicester -Watford FA Cup game?
        could not watch the game but it would be interesting to have the average positons of Lookman / Maddison / Barnes / Tielemans

1. Ze_Austin

From memory:

Maddison LW/CAM, Lookman CAM/LW, Tielemans CM, Barnes ST, Perez RW

11. TheTinman

Do I play Brownhill ahead of Cancelo :lol:???

1. Tomsk

Haha, was just wondering if I should play joao Pedro ahead of Foden. I think you should play Cancelo btw.

12. Flair

Burnley vs Leicester will probably be the next match to go.

13. Junglist95

Is there any point in planning anymore?

Surely it's just wait until an hour before deadline each week and hope for the best.

• Threat Level Midnight

Guy in my ML is losing his s**t over the fact he used his wildcard already, but was unaware you couldn't stack chips for a single week. Anyone want to give me more reasons to pass his way other than the reason I already gave him?

Side note: Note a very competitive ML being I am 60 points clear in first with an OR of 150k-ish.

1. TheTinman

Just tell him to read the rules or go play monopoly

2. NorCal Villan

Mock him without mercy

3. Postman Ty

Leicester have 3 players on international duty and 1 covid case according to the flags on FPL. How the hell was their game postponed? It doesn't matter how many leg/hamstring injuries they have according to the rules everyone else has to play by.

1. Monty the Magpie

I'd definitely be copying/pasting and sending this to the FA, in an attempt to have their decision reversed by tomorrow night.

1. Monty the Magpie

Or PL for that matter.

2. Postman Ty

Should i get 50 esignatures from here to send along with it?

1. Monty the Magpie

Yup. Should do the trick.

4. Postman Ty

Does anyone know why Digne was so desperate to leave Everton? Seemed a little out of the blue (no pun intended) and pretty sideways if it's to Villa.

1. Monty the Magpie

Massive training bust-up with Rafa, apparently. In front of everyone.