824
Captains

Gameweek 28 captaincy easier call than predecessor

The Gameweek 28 captaincy looks like a much easier call for Fantasy Premier League managers than its predecessor.

You can now vote in the latest poll at the foot of this article or in the sidebar.

In Blank Gameweek 27 many of us struggled to find a candidate for the armband that inspired much confidence, and indeed, the most popular options all blanked.

However, in this midweek Gameweek, we have some much more appealing assets on offer.

Mohamed Salah (£13.6m) and his Liverpool colleagues host a Watford side admittedly in good spirits after a heavy win at Cardiff, but the Hornets have conceded seven goals in their last five away trips.

The last time Watford rocked up at Anfield, the Egyptian broke the record for highest number of points scored in a Gameweek, his four goals and one assist making for a 29-point haul.

Salah has scored in every single Premier League match he has ever played against the Hornets, currently on six goals in three meetings with them.

Alternatively, Sergio Aguero (£11.6m) potentially becomes an option again after his Blank Gameweek 27 absence.

Manchester City host West Ham on Wednesday night, although it will be a few days after the extra-time played in the League Cup final – could that convince Pep Guardiola to rest him? We will have to see what he says in his next press conference.

However, some uncertainty over the Argentinian might even help simplify this captaincy call after such a tricky decision over the weekend.

There will be no cause for Salah to be benched, which may heavily swing the vote into his favour..

Become a Member and access our data

Memberships for the 2018/19 campaign are now available for the price of just £10.

• Get access to over 130+ exclusive members articles over the season.

CLICK HERE TO BECOME A FANTASY FOOTBALL SCOUT MEMBER

1. JoshHuntCUFC
    22 days, 8 hours ago

Laporte needs to go, I’m FH32, so replacement needs to play in BGW31 and ideally BGW33.
    (Already have Robertson and Chilwell)

A) TAA
    B) VVD
    C) Lascelles
    D) Schar
    E) Other - please state...

1. Eat my goal!

C

2. nevins84
      22 days, 8 hours ago

Im in same boat but Im going Pereria , VVD would be my pick of those...

3. avfc82
      22 days, 8 hours ago

TAA, Newcastle not guaranteed to play GW33.

4. wasp3000

B for certainty of starts and BGW 31/33

2. Eat my goal!
    22 days, 8 hours ago

Would you bring in a city player for -4?

Which player?
      If Aguero, then probably (depending GW31 plans) anyone else, probably not.

1. Eat my goal!
        22 days, 8 hours ago

Could be kun for auba or sterling for erkisen

22 days, 8 hours ago

I own Sterling, but I'd be worried about bringing him in this week after playing in the CL, and 120 minutes yesterday, plenty of options to cover him with Mahrez and Sane (especially now Raz is on the left, and B.Silva on the right).

Aguero seems safer with Jesus injured.

1. Eat my goal!
            22 days, 8 hours ago

Pep could easily play false nine if he wanted too, since Agüero is actually older and less able to deal with games in quick succession- that’s my fear anyway

22 days, 7 hours ago

Has he ever gone with a false 9 in the PL?

2. Mysterion
            22 days, 7 hours ago

Aguero played CL (78 mins) and 120 mins too though... isn't limited mins for him e.g. start and sub off around 60' more likely, given his importance with Jesus injured?

Sterling's ability at false nine and fitness levels make him seem more secure to me...

22 days, 7 hours ago

Well as a Sterling owner I hope you're right, but I think Aguero will always start as long as Jesus is injured.

1. Mysterion
                22 days, 7 hours ago

Yeah start and off after an hour if the game's wrapped up, like earlier in the season... just a matter of whether he's involved in the wrapping up part!

22 days, 7 hours ago

Exactly, you know if Pep actually said in his press conference, his plan was exactly that - ''I'll start Aguero, and once we go two goals clear I'm taking him off''.
                  I really think more people would bring him in, than not.

2. Dave Bauer
      22 days, 8 hours ago

Aguero or Sterling, maybe. Jamie Pollock or Jeff Whitley, probably not.

3. HamezMace
    22 days, 8 hours ago

In all the controversy yesterday, I feel the quality of Azplicuetas penalty has been overlooked, for a right back, that was some power/placement shot, surprised he's not their first choice taker to be honest.

Side note, the camera angle for the penalties was pretty cool also, made Hazards penalty look even more audacious.

1. Eat my goal!
      22 days, 8 hours ago

Pen was amazing, best of the bunch. It annoys me when the commentators drum on about those that can’t planted into the middle of the goal

1. Eat my goal!

Get*

22 days, 8 hours ago

Same, his, and the Sterling one, were the best of pens.

2. Forget Special, I am the ON…
      22 days, 3 hours ago

Emerson penalty look solid too

4. Chips and Changes
    There's Always One!
    22 days, 8 hours ago

Sorry it bottomed and I'm interested to see what you all think.

Does Anyone else think the chips have ruined the game? Ever since they came about I've enjoyed it less every year. I feel they have taken the fun out of the game. To have any sort of a decent rank you now need to spend an awhful lot of time planning.

22 days, 8 hours ago

Hard to say, I enjoy the planning side of things, and I suppose it helps us more serious players get an advantage on the casual players who used their chips in the first few weeks of the season.

No guarantee of success however they're used, so if overthinking it takes away the fun, just play them whenever you like.

Really the problem is the creation of blanks, and doubles, if anything the chips help us navigate those.

1. Mo Mané Mo Problems
        22 days, 7 hours ago

Casual fools that got 30+ BB GW1, 20 GW2 (Kun).

Good luck beating that!

22 days, 7 hours ago

Hence my point about no guarantee of success whenever you play it.
          For all the planning/stats/games watched etc, there is no allowance for the random flukes that'll happen in any given GW.

2. Deulofail
        22 days, 7 hours ago

We don't need chips to navigate them. Everyone's in the same boat, so it just comes down to management and priorities. That's where the fun is for me. No need to complicate it with chips imo

22 days, 7 hours ago

Well we're only in the same boat if we have the exact same team, which granted, most of us pretty much do.

Implementing a strategy with how you use your chips has to be beneficial though.

22 days, 7 hours ago

Your players will get all their fixtures in the long run. It's the chips (and relatively cheap hits) which make us feel entitled to extra fixtures.

22 days, 7 hours ago

So you're telling me that right now you've not given a second thought to how you'll use your chips over the doubles/blanks, because they'll all play 38 games in the end anyway?

22 days, 6 hours ago

Huh? I dont think we're on the same page. I'm not suggesting that chips won't get me more points. I'm suggesting that they get everyone more points, so what's the point?

They are a lot of work for little predictable reward, an unnecessary addition to a game which works great in a more simple form. More on this, below.

22 days, 5 hours ago

I'm not sure we are either 🙂

This is essentially what I'm saying;

The OP voiced frustration with chips.

I think the FH chip especially was only introduced by FPL towers to compensate us (especially more casual players) for the major blank game week (hence my comment about navigating the doubles/blanks).

You commented that you don't need chips to navigate the doubles/blanks, as all players will have their fixture eventually.

Which of course is true, but I disagree with 'little predictable reward'.
                  The ability to field 11 players with favourable DGW fixtures in week 32 could easily yield a very sizeable reward.

22 days, 4 hours ago

And if everyone does that, and that is predictably the most rewarding thing to do, then where is the reward?

It should all be about predicting player points and not about chip strategy imo. We can use FTs, hits and even a chip to navigate the blanks anyway. No need for both a WC and FH (plus TC and BB) combination. I don't think it's worth the hassle for us managers to add effort to figuring out where the slight advantage lies each season (if any) while reducing the fun of picking your favourite players, regardless of chip strategy.

Our decisions end up heavily factoring in the chip strategy, which itself is a decision we made up to 10GWs ago (depending on the season and the manager) rather than reacting to the games we watch and all the stats and contextual info to mostly decide our transfers. I just think it's lame.

22 days, 4 hours ago

But 'everyone' won't be doing it, whilst it seems that way because everyone on FFS will be doing it, in the grand scale of a game with 6m or so players, those of us who have saved these chips to navigate the doubles and blanks have a very clear advantage.

In my work mini-league of 10 players, only one other person has FH chip left, and I think three still have their second WC.

I do agree with your points, I'd prefer the game without having to worry about how we use them.
                      I've said before the current strategy most on here are going for FH32, whilst building a team for 31/33 is frustrating because I'm forced to keep the likes of Schindler, and Wilson who I'd rather just get rid of, but because they have a fixture in 31 it's problematic to sell them.

But it is, what it is, planning a strategy for it can also be enjoyable.

I do agree with you on price changes as well, I think it's been crazy this year, and again forces your hand almost to make transfer you don't really want just because you fear losing TV, or missing out on someone like Pogba who now becomes difficult to afford.

22 days, 4 hours ago

Right. Saving the chip is an advantage over your friends who signed up for fantasy football, not realising it was a chip management game. Bit of a hollow victory for me.

But otherwise, yeah, it seems we agree anyway 🙂

2. HamezMace
                        22 days, 4 hours ago

I've tried to tell them, and they've played the game before, but they just don't have the patience, most played in for the City double up.

3. There's Always One!
                        22 days, 1 hour ago

4. RoysCallerAnne
                        21 days, 23 hours ago

Absolute nonsense.

5. RoysCallerAnne
                        21 days, 23 hours ago

In response to
                        There's always one

2. SammoUK111
      22 days, 8 hours ago

I love the chips and, like anything, if you want to have a decent rank you need to put in the hard yards.

1. There's Always One!
        22 days, 7 hours ago

I always have been a serious players with a decent rank. But now I feel it's becoming like hard work instead of it being a bit of fun

22 days, 7 hours ago

I think that's partly down to more information being around FPL these days.

3. MTPockets
      22 days, 8 hours ago

I like the planning, but yeah preferred no chips

4. Reacher
      22 days, 7 hours ago

Totally agree, I much prefered the old game/format, now it feels like I do all the hard work to be undone in week by a crazy huge chip assisted score.

5. There's Always One!
      22 days, 7 hours ago

I also feel that for the serious players everyone ends up doing the very same thing anyway with them anyway. And the TC is particularly crap as this can be nothing but a lucky punt most of the time

1. Reacher
        22 days, 7 hours ago

Only positive i can see is if your chasing in a mini league then they can help

6. Deulofail

2 proposals:

1) 2WCs. Change the max. saved FTs to 3. Delete all other chips.

2) 2FHs. Change the max. saved FTs to 3 or 4. Delete all other chips.

Would also be happy to see captaincy reduced to just 5 chips per season or something (or preferably 0 😀 ), but that's a separate issue.

22 days, 7 hours ago

*in option 2, I would also allow the FT to carry over to give you 2-3 (or 4) FTs the following week.

Also I think it should remain 1 chip per half-season.

2. SADIO SANÉ
        22 days, 7 hours ago

saved FTs should be unlimited imo, then get rid of all the other chips, including wildcard 😀

22 days, 7 hours ago

Not a bad proposition at all. 😀 I'm just looking for a "middle ground", since most of my ideas about how the game could changed are proven to be unpopular haha

1. SADIO SANÉ
            22 days, 7 hours ago

haha, your ideas are decent, but I've never understood why someone can't just stockpile FTs if they choose to, some people would still just use one each week anyway. I would possibly even say you're only allowed 38 transfers in the whole season (no hits allowed), but that probably favours the people who get a 'lucky' start too much I guess

22 days, 7 hours ago

Yeah, I've long thought hits should be -5 anyway. I think teams would be less homogenous if we were more discouraged form switching to the crowd's favourite choices.

Same if we remove price drops, or also increase buying prices without increasing selling price.

(It would be 37 FTs across a season because GW1 doesn't count. But 37 is still 3 more than we get now, because he lose a FT when we play a chip. 😀 )

1. SADIO SANÉ

oh yeah...actually I was giving everyone a bonus FT... 😉

Yeah I think hits should be discouraged/punished more, it's extremely easy to 'follow the crowd'/get the best players. I think people should have to stick by their original choices/stances for longer, it's really annoying to see people on here say 'such and such is terrible, avoid him' and then they go and get him in 2 weeks later

2. ChuckN
          21 days, 22 hours ago

This is a great post.

Stack the FT if you like, or just give everyone 38 FT's from GW1 and they disappear as you use them. Max 1 or 2 per week. Anything over is a hit.

Wildcards are silly. What other fantasy sport can you completely change your entire team? Let alone twice?

There needs to be more reward for picking a good team early, or getting onto in form players early. The prices should rise faster so that the "casuals" can't template so quickly.

3. Nomar
        22 days, 7 hours ago

Could you imagine managers going 3 weeks without making a transfer?

Some of this lot on here can't go 3 days without transferring someone out!

22 days, 7 hours ago

Nobody has to save a transfer, even now!

22 days, 7 hours ago

Also, casual players can log in after forgetting to play for weeks to find they have 3-4 FTs to play with. It would help me to keep all my friend interested for longer. Yeah, I said friend.

1. SADIO SANÉ
              22 days, 7 hours ago

Yep this is a good point, people that are less hands-on might be interested in setting a team for 4 weeks and then returning to make all their FTs

2. Nomar
            22 days, 7 hours ago

Some would find it very hard to be disciplined enough to save up 3 GWs worth of transfers in order to roll 3 over. That's all I'm saying, more in a jokey way than anything else.

22 days, 7 hours ago

Sure, I like jokes 🙂 Serious jokes!

4. There's Always One!
        22 days, 7 hours ago

I just feel get rid of them all and let the best player win. Not the player who has the most time to spend hour's researching what is meant to be a fun game.

5. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus
        22 days, 7 hours ago

I’d love them to do something with FT’s

Either max increased to 3 as you say

Or even give us 2 FT’s per week, that may be a bit extreme, but would allow some really aggressive transfer marketing

I also think something needs done with price rises, the prediction sites are becoming less & less accurate, and it’s so frustrating missing out by 0.1 on a player you planned to get it but an unforecasted rise or drop somewhere prices you out

1. ChuckN
          21 days, 22 hours ago

Prices should rise just once per week immediately after final game of the GW based on player scores, not random ownership algorithms.

The rise should be proportionate to how well the player is performing (pts per game, form, etc).

Really rough example:

Player scores 6 pts and rises 0.1
          Player scores 12 pts and rises 0.2
          Player scores 18 pts rises 0.3

There's a fantasy league in australia for footy that calculates player value off their performance. Works really well.

7. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus
      22 days, 7 hours ago

I have to say I kind of agree - the chips honestly still feel like a bit of a gimmick to me, definitely used to enjoy it more without them

8. otbcwill
      22 days, 7 hours ago

Not keen on the chips - if i had to fall on one side of the argument, but if you have a run away leader in the ML, it at least keeps others in the hunt.

Personally I'd rather they:
      1. Make the VC relevant e.g Captain is still double points, but VC is points x 1.5/1.25 or something
      2. Pick a manager (5pts for a win; 2 pts for a draw; 0 pts loss; -2pts sent to the stands; -5pts a sacking. Maybe bonus points for a substitute 'changing' a game (goal/assist))
      3. With no wildcards remove the restriction on the number of transfers you can roll over
      4. Player value when you sell is the amount they now cost, not just 0.5 the profit you have made

Got that off my chest.....

22 days, 7 hours ago

I would prefer they redesigned price changes. I think they go up quick enough, but I don't think anybody should ever lose money. It seems beyond the scope of the basic principles of fantasy football to start introducing market pressures. This isn't a football manager game. We should be happy to keep unpopular players, rather than forced to sell becuase we don't want to lose money and miss out on the bandwagon. The game should be about points not prices imo

1. There's Always One!
          22 days, 7 hours ago

I think its fair to say most people seem to dislike the chips. Hopefully they do something. At the minute as a long time player I feel like not joining next year because I am not enjoying it anymore simply because of the time you need to spend planning the chips if you want to do well

22 days, 6 hours ago

Yeah. I'm spending way too much of my time thinking about chips. I'm beiginning to resent playing the game. It's adding additional effort for everyone, sure, but even us fanatics don't find it rewarding. Plus, the level of skill is minimal, as we don't know what will end up working.

I would rather stick to the spirit of picking my favourite players, which I think is the base concept of the game. Rather, employing a chip strategy reduces the pool of viable FPL players for each manager as we avoid players with 2 blanks, or target them, etc.

I would rather react to watching football by the excitement of bringing in the players I liked the look of instead of looking at the strategy first and going, "ah well I hope these players I like are crap because they are going to blank twice and I've already committed several transfers to an alternative strategy".

1. There's Always One!

Couldn't agree more!

2. SADIO SANÉ
          22 days, 7 hours ago

that was my other idea, every 9 GWs the player prices are re-done in order to reflect team selection/team form etc. to avoid a Mahrez/Kane situation - so they suddenly just jump up to 9m or whatever and your next transfers have to keep you within your budget (i.e. you'd have to downgrade one of your 9m players to now afford Mahrez), no price changes each week to worry about

1. SADIO SANÉ
            22 days, 7 hours ago

I mainly thought of this idea because I realised some casuals I was playing against had very little chance of beating me because they didn't know about price change sites (which I think is actually kinda cheating tbh)

22 days, 6 hours ago

I agree this would be good. Perhaps there would still need to be a maximum increase so we don't have to scramble to avoid a 2m+ hike when it happens.

Price changes could be weekly, though. Just after the deadline, rather than before, like WC fantasy (iirc). I'm not sure about the benefit of waiing 9GWs. Though one benefit would be that they could be transparent about how much each player was going to rise by, so we are not shocked an appalled when it happens 😀

1. SADIO SANÉ
                22 days, 6 hours ago

yeah the world cup one actually has quite a good price change system, as well as subbing players during the gameweek like UFPL did (but I imagine that would be too hands-on for most)

22 days, 6 hours ago

Yeah the subbing is too hands-on imo. I eventually want to live a life and not check FPL every day. I hear people walk dogs...

1. SADIO SANÉ
                    22 days, 6 hours ago

living a life is vastly overrated 😀 I actually missed the deadline on a Sunday morning a few times playing UFPL so not quite sure why I think it's a good idea

2. how now brown cow

*eventually*. Lol.

😆

3. otbcwill
          22 days, 6 hours ago

Agree the whole thing needs to be relooked at, but i do think it does add a dimension. What I don't agree with is needing to raise by 0.2 to get 0.1 profit.

Personally, the idea that you take a gamble on a 'hidden gem' and you get to 'realise' the benefit is a nice one i think (as a Norwich fan seen this all too often!!). As you suggest, insulate from the price drop (or just remove it), but get to retain the profits

Let's be honest...the fun in the game is doing the transfers - everybody likes a new toy. Make that process easier and less complicated, maybe the idea of templates, bandwagons etc will start to diminish.

Either way - generally happy to see chips go!!

22 days, 6 hours ago

I would prefer no price drops and no profits tbh. Just the buying prices change periodically. But I understand that other people enjoy the price game. I just find it to be another mechanic that pushes a "template" as everyone rushes to get the same players rather than waiting to consider the best options and going their own way if they want to.

9. Vobinho In Wengerland
      22 days, 7 hours ago

I would love the captaincy to be gone.

That's when you really see the best eleven shine through - in order to do well you'd need a very solid side every week. At the moment, as long as you hit gold with the captain it's a green arrow.

I'd also like TC gone and 2 x FH implemented. And if at all possible, these FH chips are not to be used in a BGW or DGW. Can you imagine the challenge in getting teams out for blanks and doubles without the use of chips?

Because at the moment everyone struggling in either 31 or 32 have the chips as a backup - if they weren't available, we would get so much variance with teams struggling and having to take hits to compete. Would also give us differing strategies on how to get through the blanks and doubles as opposed to the ones on offer at the moment.

1. There's Always One!
        22 days, 6 hours ago

Great idea of only using them in a normal week.

2. Deulofail
        22 days, 6 hours ago

I suggested not being allowed to use FH in Bs&Ds last year, and it was extemely unpopular (or maybe just I was) 😀

22 days, 5 hours ago

I checked some bookmarks, and found that my idea was actually that FHs should only be allowed in BGWs so that we could get XI players out but concentrate on the FPL game of picking our preferred players. (Though agreed that your proposal is another way to achieve a comparable effect) 🙂 People hated it, but perhaps attitudes have changed - or will change if the casuals actually do well this year! haha

1. Vobinho In Wengerland
            22 days, 4 hours ago

They only hate it because it ruins their annual strategy of reaching the top 10k!

I reckon a freshen up is required as currently there's too much of a template in keeping chips until the BGW's and DGW's

It'll probably never happen though as FPL towers will only care about the increasing fanbase of FPL...

10. Jᴀʀᴠish
      22 days, 7 hours ago

I think they over-complicate what should be a simple game, but I guess they do their market research so I assume the majority of people like them (in the grand scheme of things the voice of the fraction of a percent on here out of the overall players probably makes very limited difference).

1. There's Always One!
        22 days, 6 hours ago

Maybe we should start a petition! LOL

11. fedolefan
      22 days, 6 hours ago

I've said for a while, the game is too slow and boring with just 1 FT per week. Is it really any coincidence that the "casuals" drop out of the game come Jan/Feb? Making 1 transfer per week over 9 months is just not sustainable. 2FTs will also encourage more punts and we won't all have the ridiculous RAM, TRAM and whatever power 5 midfield template is in fashion.

I don't agree with stockpiling transfers since one important element of the game is forcing people to make transfers, which will could bad transfers and thus add variance. Anything that drives people to making more transfers and being proactive is what sustains attention. Saving is all great and gives you flexibility 2 weeks later and all that, but it creates the template which I haven't seen in too many other fantasy games.

1. There's Always One!
        22 days, 6 hours ago

Excatly. The fun of the game is making transfers!

2. SADIO SANÉ
        22 days, 6 hours ago

this is the complete opposite to my views above, but you make some pretty good points. Not sure if would lessen the template though, most people would just make the 'obvious transfers' every week, but I guess that's just how people are

1. SADIO SANÉ
          22 days, 6 hours ago

I quite like the idea of people being forced to stick to their guns for longer, but I can obviously see how more transfers makes it more exciting

2. fedolefan
          22 days, 1 hour ago

What are you going to do if you have the template and are forced to burn a transfer? Pretty sure you'll use it somewhere. The idea of burning a transfer is not easy to put in practice since you're essentially wasting something valuable. So you'll force people into changes which will mean variance in teams.

3. Deulofail
        22 days, 6 hours ago

How about 1FT per week, but instead of WCs and FHs, you get several mini-WC chips (e.g. bundles of 4-5FTs) which you can take a flourish with across the season? This might force people to "stick to their guns", as Sadio says, but give them a way out if it's not working. Their original teams can afford to be unique, and people's teams would differ greatly as they would be mini-WCing in different weeks. We could have 2 in the first half and 2 in the second.

That said, it's the same sort of logic as stockpiling beofre unleashing your FTs, which you disagree with. The difference here being that you don't have to "save", you still get FTs along the way. There's sort of a mixture of short term and long term players in your team.

1. fedolefan
          22 days, 52 mins ago

Just think this is a fairly significant rule change and one of the good things about the game is also it's simplicity. Not sure how I feel about your suggestion.

My main approach to fantasy games in general is just make picks without having to focus too much on rules. I don't take too many hits and all but I'm fairly casual in general. I just want to feel like I'm doing something every week.

12. Geoff
      22 days, 5 hours ago

I'm conflicted!

This has been talked about lots so I won't go into huge detail on any of my thoughts but these are some of them listed:
      They introduce some kind of randomness and luck to the game.
      They can be fun.
      The plan for them is too template.
      They could do with some tweaking.
      The game would survive without them.
      It's too bad they aren't used in non-DGW non-BGW GWs.
      They give an advantage to the non-casual, but at the same time (arguably) create separation between players at the same skill level, in a semi-artificial way.
      While being an advantage for the non-casual the casual probably thinks they advantage them.
      Although it is an advantage for the non-casual, it seems non-casuals overall don't like the chips.

I think if I was able to choose I would get rid of them but I don't feel too strongly either way.

22 days, 5 hours ago

😆 I love this summary

1. There's Always One!
          22 days, 1 hour ago

Me too! Lol

2. JohnCarewCarew
        22 days, 5 hours ago

I look like being in the minority here but I love ‘em. I think they bring another dimension into play. And is there any other way to play than casually? I didn’t know you could turn pro? I’d lose the double captain if anything, that, if anything, is where you’ve got to get lucky-Ish ( salty Felipe man here)

1. Geoff
          22 days, 5 hours ago

Casual not opposed by professional but by some higher level of commitment to the playing and the time spent on it.

I like the idea of mixing it up every year. The Norwegian game had some interesting chips last season!

2. HamezMace
          22 days, 5 hours ago

Casual - checks team on a Friday afternoon, oh look a few red flags better make a transfer.

Enthusiast - Checks Twitter/FFS/Google daily for injury updates about Wan Bissaka.

13. Shiva_Destroyer
      22 days, 5 hours ago

Agreed but the reason for me is the game has become too boring...No one uses the chips as fun but as serious attempt to get better OR. No non-casual manager uses it before gw31. What's the point!!

14. GreenWindmill
      22 days, 4 hours ago

Anything that makes it more about logistics/planning and less about judging which football players are likely to perform well takes the game further from its heart in my view.

The blanks/double gameweeks are the main culprits (but there's nothing that can be done about those sadly) so the main element that can be controlled is the presence of the chips and I would love to see them scrapped. Same for price changes to be honest, too much fantasy stock market not enough fantasy football.

I'm a grumpy old sod.

15. rnrd
      22 days, 4 hours ago

Chips is a debate but What the game is lacking clearly is 2FT instead of 1FT with no possibility to save FTs from one week to another. It’s 2FT per week and that’s it.

- 2 FT per GW (with no possibility to save for the next GW)
      - 1 WC
      - 1 FH
      And that’s all

22 days, 3 hours ago

Seems to me like 2FTs with no ability to save would mean everyone making transfers every week, and therefore buying the same players every week. As it currently is, at least it's staggered so that people are kneejerking after a different set of games.

Would you split the WC and FH one half of the season each? If not, all sensible players would save them for the doubles, and then we'd have kept the one major issue that people are complaining about. In my opinion, there should only be one chip available (at most) for the blanks and doubles.

1. There's Always One!
          22 days, 1 hour ago

It reminds me of F1 a few years ago when they started messing about with the rules to make it better but all they done was make it boring!

2. rnrd
          22 days, 1 hour ago

I disagree with the statement 2 FT will drive to template.
          That’s the opposite in my opionion as 2FT will enable you tu mange both of your lines and change formation whereas it is quite hard without a hit at the moment. This will bring more diversity

16. LewanGOALski
      22 days, 3 hours ago

I think it’s BGWs nad DGWs that ruin it more.
      Chips to be used when a single GW is always 10 games between 20 teams would be better in general IMHO

1. la boneza
        21 days, 15 hours ago

But this is the real point, right? FPL cant control what happens in the FA schedule. FH is there to help us field a full team in blank weeks.
        Is it not less fun having half a squad of players to pull for in a given GW rathen than a full 11?
        We all have the same rules and players to begin the campaign, it is a game about choices (rather than getting first draft pick or 12th draft pick say). Strategy and planning is the name of making good choices, which is why WE are the "managers".
        The FH chip exists to help us navigate blank weeks with weak players no one actually wants to own.. it's a brilliant addition.
        The importance of BB and TC are debateable but i do like BB, simply because it feels awesome having 15 guys with potentially 180 minutes to do some bizness...
        TC is alot of luck but again we have a choice when to deploy it..

17. There's Always One!
      22 days, 1 hour ago

Thanks guys for all the replies. It seems to be most of us are fed up of the chips. Hopefully the powers that be do something to make the game fun again!

18. Forza Juventus
      22 days, 52 mins ago

Yep i find this time of the season requires a lot of thought and then ultimately everyone decent at fantasy football does essentially the same thing (with small variations) and our teams all look pretty much the same. The game gets boring down to the back end of the season because of this. People get excited about high scores, but realistically everyone is getting high scores, it's all relative. Trying to catch someone ahead of you becomes far more difficult with the chips because one main strategy tends to prevail and people follow it more often than not. It would be awesome if we had to navigate these blanks and DGWs by deciding who we could afford to leave out and who we couldn't etc. I also don't generally enjoy that captaincy is a thing each week. Maybe i'm too old school, who knows.

19. jia you jia you
      21 days, 20 hours ago

'Anyone who is a serious player still has the chips. If not they aren't a good player so you really should be beating them easily anyway' (There's always one!)
      I may not be a serious player but I follow the game and know more about football than most. I started playing the game seriously-ish 3 seasons ago. I play the game on my terms, take quite a lot of hits, alternative captains (13 already this season), use my chips at different times than the herd on here etc. because I dont want the fun taking out of it.
      I have one top 5k finish and am 6k atm this season. I used used my BB in GW1, wildcarded 5 GWs ago and have used my TC already. The blanks and doubles can be navigated without the chips without losing too much ground imo, as long as one doesnt get very unlucky with injuries, suspensions etc.
      I think they should def get rid of BB and TC chips (both way overrated on here imo) and go with two FH Chips instead.

20. Make Arrows Green Again
      21 days, 13 hours ago

I'm generally against chips, but I appreciate that a couple of them help the prepared navigate the blanks (which are in themselves an artificial construct based on the fact that you have to divide the season into gameweeks in order to get captains to work).

The conversations on this HT around blank planning only really relate to BB and FH though. The chip that can absolutely do one is triple captain. Two identically prepared and experienced managers can have their scores vary by around 25 points from this chip as it's pure luck.

21. ThunderDownUnder
      21 days, 11 hours ago

Totally agree. It’s a much better game without them. Next season I might play a league where we will not be able to use any chips or wildcards.

22. EspanYOLO
      21 days, 8 hours ago

I agree. It's annoying to try hard all season, get into the top 10k and then it all come down to who you triple captain on one double game week. It takes out a lot of the skill out of the game and means you can win or lose a mini league based on pure luck. I know it swings both ways but it makes the whole season feel pointless until this time of the year.

I thinkthe chips should remain, but only on single or blank game weeks. There shouldn't be a double benefit as it makes using them so boring as most sensible people use them in the same game weeks.

1. There's Always One!
        21 days, 2 mins ago

Yes I think that would work much better

5. Jafooli

Do which one this week?

A. Camarasa > Hayden
    B. Son > Mane
    C. Rashford > 8.1m fwd (Rondon/King/other)
    D. Foster/Guaita > playing GW31 keeper (Dubravka?)

Sorry RP

1. MTPockets

C if injured and Camarasa's your 1st sub

2. Reacher

C

3. HamezMace
      22 days, 7 hours ago

Wait for news on Rashford, if it looks like he'll survive the price drop tonight.
      Then B, or C.

4. Jafooli

Cheers all

6. wasp3000

Thoughts on this Chip Strategy:

FT's for Blank GW 31/33
    FH 32
    WC 34
    BB 35
    TC (undecided) one of GW 36-38

Currently have 7 players for blank GW 31.

Is this the best strategy?
    Would prefer TC and BB 32 and/or 35 but don't see how I can do it?

1. nevins84
      22 days, 7 hours ago

Its the one im going with, TC is the worry but could play it in 35 if an outstanding option appears then a nail mary with the BB on the remainder..

7. fakelund
    22 days, 8 hours ago

Need help with who to bench... any suggestions?

Schmeichel
    Doherty, Robertson, Kolasinac
    Sterling, Salah, Almiron, Pogba
    Rondon, Aubameyang, Jimenez

Hamer, Redmond, Wan-Bissaka (x), Holebas (x)

1. MTPockets

Think I'd play Redmond over Almiron

8. #FPLBhuna
    22 days, 8 hours ago

city v whu in the away leg

sane: 19 pts
    sterling: 16 pts

is son > sane(C) for -4 that bad an idea?

1. MTPockets

It's a bit hero or zero

2. Eat my goal!
      22 days, 7 hours ago

It’s impossible to predict the line up - this is what I’m struggling with.

Equally Fernandinho might be out and therefore this might not be the performance we think they can produce

Debating bringing a player myself and the more I think about it the more I’m inclined just risk it

1. Eat my goal!

Without

3. Vobinho In Wengerland
      22 days, 7 hours ago

City played differently back then. It was aguero coming deep and Sane & Sterling motoring forwards.

Now Sane isn't much of an option, Aguero the most advanced feeding off Sterling.

Also in away games, Aguero has played much deeper than during home games.

9. HamezMace
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Allardyce confirms interest in Leicester job.

Your wish has come true Leicester fans.

1. Mo Mané Mo Problems

*REMOVES VARDY FROM WATCHLIST*

Adds Maguire and Morgan.

1. potatoace
          22 days, 7 hours ago

I'm still suffering from ptsd from Morgan's last bgw/dgw fiasco

22 days, 7 hours ago

What happened? Must have missed that one.

1. MTPockets
              22 days, 7 hours ago

Did a Sane (1pt from 2 games)

Ouch.
                There should be a hall of shame for FPL players over the DGWs.
                Kane, Sane, Carroll already cemented their plaves.

2. MTPockets

eurgh

10. Top Lad Dakes.
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Not even a mention of a rested (yet admittedly not on best form) Auba in this article, against a Bournemouth side who are awful away...

yet underperforming Salah gets top picks in an underperforming Liverpool side hosting a Watford side that have been able to keep it relatively tight recently...

Am I missing something? I’m undecided between the two so far for captain, but surely these are valid points?

1. Reacher
      22 days, 7 hours ago

I agree, Liverpool feeling the presure big time and Auba at home v a leaky Bournemouth defence

2. Nose for baps
      22 days, 7 hours ago

I watched the youtube video when Salah hauled extremely big vs Watford. I fear he is not in form to do that again. Fatigued?

11. Jafooli
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Just to confirm there are only two DGWs (32 & 35) for far? Could there be more?

1. Jafooli
      22 days, 7 hours ago

How many games still to be re-arranged?

1. potatoace
        22 days, 7 hours ago

Everyone apart from wolves, Mcy and Man u.

1. Jafooli
          22 days, 7 hours ago

Thanks again.....any idea when we might find out the rest?

2. potatoace
      22 days, 7 hours ago

There's talk of a possible small third dgw, but trying to understand it hurts my brain

1. Jafooli
        22 days, 7 hours ago

Cheers Tatty.....but only two main ones....

1. potatoace

Yep. 32 and 35.
          No further doubles to be announced until after 31.

1. Jafooli

Got it cheers...

3. HamezMace

It's possible.
      From what I've read on here at least, I mean everyone is only speculating at the moment.

Possible things are - Spurs having a home game against Brighton in the same week as the FA cup semi finals - so if Brighton go out in the QFs - that game will be on - but with no venue to play it on, assuming Spurs aren't in their new stadium.

...something about Liverpool being in the CL semi finals I think - would mean they played on a Sunday, and a Tuesday in the CL, so possibly they would ask for a rearrangement.

1. Jafooli

Crickey, cheers Hamez...

No worries.
          It's a minefield to navigate, and no one really knows anything for sure.

1. Jafooli

Indeed, total mess....

12. waitinginthelonggrass

Wan Bis to Shar

Or

Rash to Barnes?

My defence don’t have great fixtures this week.

13. aidmata
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Transfer ideas this week? Planning to build a team for GW31 then play FH in GW32.

2.4ITB with 2FT

Fabianski Button

AWB* Robertson TAA Bednarek Doherty

Richarlison* Son Pogba Hojbjerg Salah

Rashford* Jimenez Aguero

14. HD7
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Salah or Auba as C mates?

15. CliveTilds

Vardy a good option?
    Useless manager is now and gone and Brighton are shocking.

1. No Mo Salah
      22 days, 7 hours ago

i’m considering gettin him too

2. Nomar
      22 days, 7 hours ago

Brighton aren't shocking and Leicester's fixtures aren't as great as it looks imo.

The caveat is that Puell is gone so their performances should improve now. I'll probably get some Leicester in myself but will temper my expectations somewhat.

16. Reacher

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell which is looking the better of the 2 DGWs?

Not being lazy just it hurts my head trying to work these chips out!

Thanks

1. Nomar

DGW32

2. The 5% Team
      22 days, 7 hours ago

only one double fixture for each DGW confirmed

but from speculation, DGW32 probably will look better with City, United and maybe Chelsea

17. CliveTilds

Just gone*

18. Firminoooo

Vardy(C). Partytime!

1. Nomar

Why not.

19. Jafooli
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Sorted. Doing Camarasa > Hayden this week, thrilling stuff.....

1. waitinginthelonggrass
      22 days, 7 hours ago

While he has played ok recently he isn’t an assured starter with Diame and Ki back and Shelvey nearly fit

1. Jafooli
        22 days, 7 hours ago

Oh really? Ah ffsssssss....

1. Nomar
          22 days, 7 hours ago

FFS seemed to think Hayden and Longstaffe have nailed down those central midfield places now though.

As a Camarasa owner I was considering that move myself as Cam is always injured. It's a £4.3 mid v £4.6 mid at the end of the day, though, so you takes your chances either way.

1. Skonto Rigga
            22 days, 7 hours ago

Speaking as both a Newcastle fan and FFS writer, I'd say they are playing well enough at the moment to be considered the first-choice midfield pairing. Rafa rewarded Diame/Ki with an extended run pre-injury/international duty and I think he's reluctant to tinker with a formula when it's working. There's a possibility rotation may happen in GW28/29 given the quick turnaround in fixtures, of course. Diame wasn't even in the squad on Saturday and he's the obvious challenger to Hayden's role (Ki more of a ball-playing Longstaff type).

1. Jafooli
              22 days, 7 hours ago

Cheers Nomar & Rigga, very helpful input....

1. Skonto Rigga

No problem 🙂

20. HamezMace

Potential BGW31 defender news;

Balbuena pictured training with West Ham (WHU official Twitter feed)

1. waitinginthelonggrass

Shar, Almiron, Rondon

21. nikhil123
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Which Leicester/Newcastle players should I look to sign?

Chilwell, Periera, Maddison
      Rondon

22. SADIO SANÉ
    22 days, 7 hours ago

would you play Digne ahead of any of these? guess not..

Pereira (BHA)
    Kola (BOU)
    Doherty (hud)
    Son (che)

1. SADIO SANÉ
      22 days, 7 hours ago

a chance Kola doesn't start but comes off the bench maybe? that's probably overthinking

23. Jafooli
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Any chance of RLC or CHO nailing down a place in the next few GWs?

Or even Barkley? Actually might get Kante?

Camarasa > Kante? Or other?

22 days, 7 hours ago

Kante is pretty nailed I'd say.
      None of the others are though.

2. The 5% Team
      22 days, 7 hours ago

yeah...Kante feels like a boring pick, but points wise he's up there...getting the odd goal or assist now and then. And he's nailed, unlike the other Chelsea players

1. Jafooli
        22 days, 7 hours ago

That’s what I’m thinking and that what we need right now is nailedness and some hopeful points.

24. Iceball

Barnes or Rondon?

1. The 5% Team
      22 days, 7 hours ago

I'm getting Barnes (more of a money issue for me though)

25. waitinginthelonggrass
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Any indication of how long Rashford will be out for?

26. Jafooli

28 - Camarasa > Kante
    29 - Foster > Boruc
    30 - Rashford > Rondon
    31 - Son > Hazard

Gives for 31

Boruc
    Robertson - Digne
    Salah - Hazard - Fraser - Kante
    Rondon

With maybe Aguero > Vardy/Higuaín/Firmino & AWB or Bennett > 4.5m defs for hits

Decent?

1. FPL Opinion
      22 days, 7 hours ago

I’m not a fan of defensive -4 hits die to past experience but hits in general can work out well.

27. tbhogal
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Hi Guys, What do with this lot. Is Firminho to Aguero the obvious move?

Patricio(Hamer)
    AWB, Robertson, Kola, Bennett
    Pogba, Son, Salah, Anderson (Hojberg)
    Rashford, Firminho, Jimenez..

1. FPL Opinion

If you have the money definitely I’d even consider a -4 hit If needed

28. FPL Opinion

Awful past 8 GWs

Dropped from 109k to 297k and more importantly from 4th to 18th in cash mini league

New expectations adjusted from top 800 to top 800,000 and from 1st in mini league to top 25% so top 21 places (84 teams in work cash league)

Feeling a little more confident now moving into last 11 Gameweeks.

29. FPL Opinion
    22 days, 7 hours ago

Sell Firmino and Rashford -> buy Aguero and Rondon (exact money)

Not set to lose anything if Rashford falls by 0.1

Fabianski
    TAA Shaw Pereira Digne
    Salah (c) Hazard Pogba
    Lacazette Firmino** Rashford**

Button, Anderson, Hayden, RBennett

1. FPL Opinion

Or just Firmino to Higuaín with my 1FT
      And play Anderson or Hayden or RBennett
      Buying Kun and Ron is -4

30. Donny_Rover
    22 days, 6 hours ago

Difficult times right now, some tough calls to be made. Do we reckon it’s worth taking a -4 here to do Rashford & Deulofeu to Vardy & McNeil? Think over the next 3-4 weeks it would make up for the hit. Not fussed about losing Rashford with their blank coming up (will be playing free hit in 32 so would bring him back for that anyway), tempted by Sane/Sterling/Aguero but wary of rotation...

Ederson (Etheridge)
    Robertson Doherty Pereira (Luiz AWB)
    Salah Pogba Son Deulofeu (Camarasa)
    Auba (c) Jiménez Rashford