Aaron Wan-Bissaka‘s (£5.5m) price increase in Fantasy Premier League is as eye-catching as the £50m move to Manchester United that followed in late June.
In 2018/19, Wan-Bissaka was the much-heralded budget defensive gem, starting 35 of Crystal Palace’s 38 matches and returning 120 FPL points over the course of the campaign.
Wan-Bissaka – who was priced at £4.0m in Gameweek 1 of last season – was on the pitch for all 12 of the Eagles’ clean sheets, while he racked up 18 bonus points to compensate for a lack of attacking returns (no goals, three assists).
A year is a long time in FPL.
Championed for his value for money (26.1 points per million spent) last season, there has been something of a backlash against his price rise this summer.
Still, that hasn’t stopped over one in three FPL managers from drafting Wan-Bissaka into their initial squads.
Virgil van Dijk (£6.5m) and Andrew Robertson (£7.0m) are the only two defenders who are proving more popular in FPL at the time of writing.
As we have said before, that 34.1% ownership can perhaps be explained by a number of factors – a nostalgia for his returns in 2018/19, a move to a ‘big six’ club and a higher rate of so-called casuals playing the game at this stage of the year.
We shouldn’t just ignore those FPL managers who have acquired him, though, as there is much to admire about Wan-Bissaka’s game.
Whether there is enough to warrant a price rise to £5.5m is something we’ll be exploring in the Members’ article below.
Become a Member and access our data
Memberships for the 2019/20 campaign are now available for the price of £17.50.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our brand NEW Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.