News

Joshua Bull crowned FPL champion for 2019/20

Joshua Bull has been crowned the 2019/20 Fantasy Premier League champion, with former world number one Aleksandar Antonov stripped of his title.

Almost a year to the day since Gameweek 1 got underway and a fortnight after the season had ended, there was one final plot twist to a chaotic campaign on Tuesday afternoon.

FPL issued a brief statement to say that, after end-of-season checks, “the team formerly occupying the no. 1 position has been removed from FPL due to a breach of our terms”.

The article in which the announcement was made didn’t elaborate on what those breaches were but the erstwhile winner was notified of the decision via email, with his team removed from FPL.

Joshua moved up to first place as a result of these latest developments, with Chris McGowan – aka site user Queens of the South Age – promoted to runner-up.

Chris was also elevated to winner of our Fantasy Football Scout mini-league as a consequence.

Joshua, who had never previously finished inside the top one million, played his Wildcard in Gameweek 38+, having used his Free Hit chip a week earlier.

He had first entered the top 1,000 in Gameweek 17 and had reached the top ten shortly before lockdown, rising to seventh in Gameweek 29.

Hitting top spot in Gameweek 32+, he had dropped down to second heading into the final Gameweek and looked to have finished there before today’s statement was issued.

Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Kevin De Bruyne never left his squad all season, while Mohamed Salah was only sold for one week.

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £17.50. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99.

1. Tomerick

It’s always interesting to see people having more of an adverse reaction to being called a racist than the actual racism itself. It’s enough to make one think that person might be a racist...

2. FPL Virgin

Do you know what a sin of omission is?

After inviting this chap onto the scoutcast and courting him, FFS need to come out and condemn racism in all its forms.

Quite frankly, it can't be left at this taut and snotty statement: "Quite honestly, we don’t know the exact reasons either, so we won’t be adding to the speculation elsewhere."

1. A Fat Spanish Waiter

I agree with you, but TBF, they had no idea when they invited him on the Scoutcast. Most of the crew were pretty vocal on twitter today, but an official statement seems a good idea.

2. thegame983

No they don't.

They're not responsible for something someone else said.

( I fully expect them to comply to your demands however)

1. FPL Virgin

They don't control what comes out of someone's mouth.

But they are able to condemn it.

3. circusmonkey

I think earlier in the day yesterday, it was rumour, so you don't go saying things as publishers of a web site that might not be true, it leaves yourself open to legal action.

3. FPL-(VAR)dy

For those who had experience of both.
    Which Membership is better
    Fantasy football hub or Fantasy football scout?

1. FPL Virgin

Scout by a mile.

The only decent thing on hub was Matthew Penyce's articles and being able to compare "pairs" of player combos (whereas on scout you can only compare individual players).

2. A Fat Spanish Waiter

I say scout by a considerable distance. I’ve used some of their tools, like their RMT for example, and found them pretty useless.

3. Offs!de

I have been a member of Scout for many years and I am pretty satisfied

1. FPL-(VAR)dy

4. A Fat Spanish Waiter

Let me first say that I condemn racism, both silent and vocal. The racism we continue to have in sport is a stain on all of us.

I’m also a privacy advocate, so I think there is a slippery slope here. If someone is sending sexually explicit texts to the person with whom they are having an affair, is that grounds for being tossed from the game? How about having a criminal record? I realize these situations are different, but it illustrates that there should be a privacy barrier someplace, no? None of us are saints.

1. FPL Virgin

Players are taking the knee before every game. The premier league literally had no other option. If they let it slide, they would be accused of not taking BLM seriously.

1. A Fat Spanish Waiter

Trust me, I get it, and its been great to see sport leagues all of the world adopt it. MLS here in the US is doing that, for example.

I’m not questioning the decision, just pointing out that it’s a really slippery slope when someone’s private chat is fair game.

1. FPL Virgin

Greek Freak is right. It wasn't a private chat anymore because someone in the chat had screenshot the comment and put it in the public domain.

1. A Fat Spanish Waiter

Is that what actually happened? I thought someone sent it to FPL.

1. FPL Virgin

The comment is on Twitter so it must have been made public by someone.

2. Greek Freak

If someone is racist in private, they're still racist. It's not like FPL hacked into his private accounts, what he said was brought to them by another participant in that private conversation. And what better way to condemn racism than to actually take meaningful action against it, as opposed to just a slap in the wrist?

1. A Fat Spanish Waiter

OK fine, but just to be provocative, what’s to prevent a disgruntled spouse from showing FPL evidence their champion was having an affair?

Obviously if someone is a racist in private they are still a racist, and we should in no way condone it. Same thing with adultery, cheating on your taxes, drink driving, etc.

1. FPL Virgin

The guy behind the FPL price changes Twitter account once made a racist comment to Tom from WGTA. If he won FPL, would he be stripped of his title? Should he be stripped of his top 10K finishes?

1. A Fat Spanish Waiter

Tough call. When did it happen? Was there a reasonable expectation of privacy?

This has got me thinking back to fraternity parties in 1995. Their are pictures... lots of pictures. While none of them are racist, I’m sure there are plenty of things that are in no way flattering to me.

1. FPL Virgin

Nope. He tweet it publicly.

I applaud you for defending privacy, even in these difficult circumstances. It is a right worth fighting for. You remind me of that West Wing episode were the supreme court nominee didn't believe that the right to privacy was ingrained in the constitution.

1. A Fat Spanish Waiter

I used to watch that show constantly. I worked in the West Wing for a summer. It’s nothing like the show. It’s actually small and cozy and people are definitely not running around like maniacs. Lots of smart people though.

1. FPL Virgin

Aaron Sorkin is my favourite writer. The closest thing we have to a modern day Shakespeare in my opinion.

That's incredible that you used to work in the white house. Which administration was it?

They say every administration is different. Maybe Clinton's was a walk and talk one 😉

1. A Fat Spanish Waiter

It was Clinton’s actually. Summer ‘95. Another (more famous) intern was there at that time as well.

Very lucky to get the job. Was on Gore’s staff doing intern stuff (so nothing important). Got to show my girlfriend at the time the Oval Office. She is my wife now :). Was pretty surreal actually.

1. GreennRed

I was never in the West Wing, or even Washington, though I lived in the US in 2011 and 2012. But I did meet Martin Sheen in Dublin one night, the night the Pope died. He's an absolute gent. His mother was from Tipperary. He studied in University College Galway for a while in his time living here.

2. Gentlemen Crier

How is racism the same as adultery, cheating on your taxes, drink driving, etc?

3. thegame983

Future FPL winners will have to vetted like Presidential nominees.

Imagine other top 10 competitors scouring social media for possible infractions so they can get their rivals removed.

An extra layer of drama.

4. Netley Lucas

The offence took place within a private (Bulgarian) Facebook chatroom in January of this year and was screenshot and is now out there. One thing that puzzles me in his apology on Twitter is he appears to consider his abusive tone far worse than the word used. I don't think he would have been stripped of his title had he not used that word and I don't think he grasps that atm.

1. Triggerlips

My take is he is a racist idiot, but he did win the game fair and square. What happens if next years winner is a wife beater, or a sex pest. Will they be banned too? What about anyone with a criminal record?
        Or how about anyone else with views that do not conform to the norms of of society.

Is being a nice person now a pre requisite for being allowed to keep the trophy ( if there is one)

1. FALSE PROFIT

Seems an accurate analogy to me.

2. Netley Lucas

We are all sinners and to be human is to err Trig. My point is I'm not entirely sure he grasps that the word he used was the reason for his downfall, not the general tone of his (heat of the moment) abusive rant.

3. BrutalLogiC

Lot of whataboutism going on here. Do you think FPL should have awarded the original chap the title/prize despite his vile racist comment?

5. Sendmelentils

"Let me first say that I condemn racism, both silent and vocal"

I admire your integrity 'fat Spanish waiter'

5. masyuris

Is HoF already updated?

1. TorresMagic™ - 48n69x

6. Sanchit

Any Indian playing Fanteam? How does the deposit/withdrawal work?

7. Grounderz

It’s ashamed that the Premier League is skilled in catching scandals outside their circle but does almost absolutely to nothing on catching their own mistakes.

This is also literally reported at news outlets with his face plastered on the headline articles. Shame to their journalism.

8. FALSE PROFIT

It is amazing how social media can "go viral" yet we still don't know what was said.
    I guess that it was a racist comment but I have read 3 articles now and none the wiser.
    Bottom line, if it is a "breach of protocol" I cannot see how it changes the points situation.
    If he is a racist he is a racist winner and anyone who gets the crown over such things will probably consider the victory to be hollow.
    can anyone tell me what the breach was?

1. Andy_Social

We do know what was said. It was posted on Twitter and a link provided here, which is how I saw it. Asterisked out versions were also quoted here last night.
      The issue that I raised that the 'breach' amounts to a clause in the t&c's that amount to 'We reserve the right to make up new rules as we go along and there's nothing you can do about it'.
      The racism was disgusting and indefensible, but I'm worried about the precedent set in setting rules retrospectively when the offence was in a private message intended to be seen by a close group of mates and never intended for public viewing. I made a series of posts about that last night which basically amount to Triggerlips' point above.

1. FALSE PROFIT

Oh Andy sorry it was posted on twitter. A perfect engine to spread true, unadulterated news. (smile)
        If I missed it, it is because it was not a "normal channel release"
        Anyway, get my meaning.
        The bottom line The guy is a "Wigan Athletic"

2. TorresMagic™ - 48n69x

It's been covered plenty in the comments on this article.
      Search by rating.

1. FALSE PROFIT

Sorry Torres. A 65 year old that is used to looking in a newspaper for news, fake or otherwise.

2. FALSE PROFIT

I thought I would find it in the article as this would be the expected source.

9. Amey

Wolves should be very proud of themselves.
    Brilliant campaign !!

1. Andy_Social

It was and they should be. My concern is that they're going from "So close to winning a big trophy and straight into CL" to qualified for naff all. It should make their players more attractive for FPL, but will any of them and the manager lose motivation? Will there be sudden news of Jimi being lured elsewhere. Or Doherty, Boly, Patricio? We can only hope not.

1. FALSE PROFIT

Most of these guys played in the championship when they were capable of playing at a higher level. also the owners are their agents I believe.

1. Andy_Social

Sure, but now they've come so close, tasted the fruit, expectations may alter, especially as the ones you mention will be 3 years older in a short career.

1. FALSE PROFIT

Good point. I hope they stick together. Such a small squad to do as well as they did is commendable.

2. Amey

Size of squad & demanding playing style makes their achievements even bigger !

2. Amey

We can only hope 🙂

2. Netley Lucas

A tad disappointing post-Covid 'break'. The loss v Arsenal and the late points dropped at Sheff Utd & Burnley did for them. The challenge now is to find a reliable partner for Raul and identify a way to use Adama more productively. They have the manager to solve these issues.

1. Andy_Social

All true. I do think that if they keep the squad intact and motivation high, they have the ability to overhaul Chelsea for 4th spot in the PL. For all Chelsea's firepower, they are poor at the back whereas Wolves are really solid. With only the league to focus on (okay, FA Cup too) whilst the other top clubs have CL or EL burdens, they could be great.

It's quite possible while I wait for the Manc to start their PL campaigns, I'll start with Jimi, and I'm eyeing an early bargain in Vinagre. If they start well I'm likely hang onto them; if my fears come true and they look down in the first 2, well they were only intended as placeholders anyway.

1. FALSE PROFIT

Wolves have 2 players in team of the season for me. Coady and Jiminez. With the intelligence they play the game I can only think they will get through it.

3. Flair

They've done extremely well, difficult to imagine they started in the Championship three seasons ago. Their defense looks genuinely world class - Boly has a VVD-esque effect and is a top player. 12 CS in 22 games which calculated over an entire season becomes 20! No European football, which hurt them early, is also a bit boon FPL wise. Definitely a team to watch, if Boly starts at 5 it will be very difficult not to include him. It's reasonable to predict 15+ CS next season which are excellent numbers plus he has a strong goal threat as well.

However, their attack does look uninspiring at times and as Nuno said in his press conference the squad has a limit and now they have to dive in the transfer market to rejuvenate and improve. It will be interesting to see what decisions they make, but they are in the forefront of my thinking!

Also I love Jimenez's consistency but I wonder if I'll have him much next season at a higher price of around 8-8.5. Depends on team structure and fixtures of course but right now I don't see him anywhere near my team.

1. Andy_Social

I think Boly started at 5 last season. This time he'll surely be 5.5, with Saiss and Coady at 5. They won't be the bargains of last season. I think Jimi will be 9m at a minimum.

In addition to my concerns above, it occurs to me that even after going out of the EL at this point, their pre-season will be significantly shorter than others, and that's straight after the pre-season last time that was vastly truncated due to playing early EL qualifiers. The lads will not have had a decent rest (okay, Covid lockdown aside) in 3 seasons. I fear fatigue may set in at some point, if not at the start of the season.

1. Flair

True but it's a difficult situation to accurately analyze so I'm going to ignore it for now and focus on what we specifically know for now.

I think Boly's injury will cause him to be undervalued slightly at 5.0, let's see.

4. Cowboy John

Wolves fan here. It was a great campaign. After a Champions League spot had looked a distinct possibility, was it a little disappointing to run out if steam late on? Yeah, sure. But from where the club has been for much of the last 35 years, this is dreamland.

Looking to next season, I think the quick turnaround is in our favour regards keeping the squad together. Jimenez and Traore are obviously the players likely to attract interest but, with the club in a position to charge exorbitant transfer fees for the pair of them, I'm very hopeful they stay. Jimenez is 29 years old so I do wonder if he might be tempted to sign one last big contract and take a chance if a club like Juventus came calling?

1. Amey

Agree everything.
        Great time to be a Wolves fan 🙂

Re Jimenez transfer, I can't see him going to another pl Club as they would be outpriced by wolves.but yes, someome like Juventus can test the resolve

10. Rhinos

Zero sympathy for the guy, yes it sucks that he's being punished for something said in private (I've said way worse than that, trust me) but once it became public the premier league/fpl had no choice, you can literally put no room for racism on your kit design.
    The big problem for me is his explanation video. Had he apologised unreservedly and eaten a huge slice of humble pie then I'd have a different view but he didn't, he just brushed it off as bantz from a different culture. He's lived in England for 10yrs so should know what he said was wrong as does the guy who shopped him or why else would he have screenshotted it?
    Also I wanna know who's in this private chat group because whilst I'll admit to saying worse things than that it's been to real life friends of over 20 years and purely said to garner a reaction from them, would never dream of typing what he typed in a chat with online fpl buddies

1. Andy_Social

I have zero sympathy for him too, and agree that his video was a missed chance to properly apologise.
      My concerns are about the precedent set going forward, which ties in with your final point. It seems one of his friends in his trusted inner circle dobbed on him, sending a screenshot od the offending message to FPL Towers because he/she was jealous of his victory. I fear that next year when final standings are announced, there will be a flood of cases, say tweets from a decade ago, someone liking a JK Rowling tweet, un-PC Facebook posts or private messages from Trump and Brexit supporters, supporters of the Indian prime minister making anti-Islamic comments, a Fulham fan making accusations against the Queen and so on. Where does FPL Towers draw the line given there is no guidance in the t&cs?

1. Totalfootball

This

2. bamberman

There is a difference between an un-PC comment and outright racism.

3. Rhinos

yes but what constitutes friend. I'm in an fpl WhatsApp group and like everyone in there, would happily call them friends but at the same time I've never met any of them so how sure can I be how they'd react to offensive comments. If he's comfortable making those kind of comments coz Sterling misses a sitter or whatever then that's on him.
        Fpl draws it's own line, it's in the t%c's. They had no choice but to delete his team. If another year someone wins and someome else reports them for previous offensive comments then it'll be a seperate case and dealt with accordingly. To be fair the number one takeawy from this should simply be don't be a racist then there's no issue

2. Jafalad

It was desperately disappointing to read those condoning such remarks and pointing the finger at FPL for their decision to strip the winner of his first placing. There is no place for such comments least of all in today's world.

You have to be so careful what you put out on social media because you have no idea who is reading them. I know of CEO's checking people's social media profiles and comments prior to job interviews. He made a very naive and offensive mistake. I'm sure he will learn from it.

People have their own cultural lens and the world is still undergoing a civilising process. Accept people for who they are and see good in others. Tolerance is key.

1. JIMMY764

“Tolerance is key”.

The irony.

1. Goonsquad245

You gonna start calling people fascists for being intolerant of racist views again?

1. JIMMY764

I’ll call people fascists when they say we should take away platforms from people they don’t agree with, because they gain too much popularity when platformed.

Suppression of opposition is a classic trait. “Goonsquad” - not wrong there are ya.

1. Goonsquad245

Demonstrable racists/hate speech disseminators = ‘people they don’t agree with’

Gotcha.

1. JIMMY764

A lot of people agree with Nigel Farage, and have voted for one of his political parties in the past.

Again, if you wish to shut these people down and take away any kind of platform, it makes you an intolerant bigoted fascist I’m afraid.

1. Goonsquad245

Who’s Nigel Farage?

2. mynameisq

Goonsquad some advice for you pal, don't bother with this clown honestly he is not interesting in fair debate. He's just muddying the waters, definitely was born in 02.

1. JIMMY764

Here he is, still crying I see. Ageist and fascist then.

Have you not got another word of the day to look up?

1. mynameisq

"crying" grow up little kid

You got totally schooled and did more side steps than a cha cha slide

And finished off with an accusation of fascism for something I never even advocated hahahahaha

1. JIMMY764

Lol we both know the truth.

If anyone cares enough, just look through my previous comment to see me destroying this tool last night.

1. mynameisq

Okay Ben Shapiro, calm down. What they'll see is me refuting your claim that giving people like Tommy Farage a platform makes them lose popularity by asking why they are more popular having had a platform as opposed to getting no platform- This made you screech and howl like a monkey throwing faeces because you think it is somehow me advocating facism instead of giving an example, deary me. Comprehension and debate isn't your strong point. But hey let me know how your first year of uni goes

2. Jafalad

Do you even know the meaning of the word?

3. Nightcrawler

Would u tolerate nazism? Becuase everything "deserves a platform"

1. JIMMY764

I’d ‘tolerate’ anything because I’m not a coward afraid of words or offence.

I’d challenge it with words, like normal people do. Nothing should be ‘de-platformed’.

1. mynameisq

Ooh words, that'll stop the Nazis. Genius!

1. Nightcrawler

Laughable honestly

3. GreennRed

He was still the top player. In their haste to seem politically correct should the FPL not have checked the social media accounts of the top 10,000 players and banned all with sensitive material? As for the Premier League they are an absolute joke ethically. Jumping on the BLM bandwagon but taking money from more than dubious club owners. No sign of them creating an environment where gay players are happy to be out. Hypocrites.

1. Jafalad

No he wasn't the top player. He breached the rules/conditions hence his disqualification.

Checking other players? Who do you know who has made similar comments? I would like to think it is a very tiny monority. Most who do ff are good people and in my 10 years on here very few have made such comments.

Taking money? The money is going in the other direction.

Gay players? Don't the game's governing bodies have more responsibility do this?

1. GreennRed

He had more points than anyone else in the league. He was tge only one investigated. Wasn't disqualified fir cheating. He won the league. He was an idiot for those comments but won alright.

1. Goonsquad245

Just checked the top of the OR and can’t see his name mentioned anywhere. Funny that.

4. BrutalLogiC

Yes his statement/explanation (not apology) was sad, along the lines of:

"it was just football banter no different to what most of you do"
      "My comment taken out of context"
      "Made to look like racist when I'm not"
      "I would never say it to his face"
      "Lesson learnt to be careful when making racist comments in private"

1. ⱼₐᵣᵥᵢₛₕ

You forgot the classic "I have black friends"

11. Eat my goal!

I literally don’t understand what people are debating about - it’s the premier league, they cannot so nothing In light of the ongoing movement to eradicate this hatred, they did the right thing - move on!

1. Eat my goal!

Do*

2. GreennRed

Might they enquire about the source of Abramovich's money seeing their interest in human rights?

1. Eat my goal!

Ha. Dirty money in football is just fine, it’s a way of life!

1. GreennRed

Unfortunately it is. Should let some trickle down to clubs in trouble in League 1 and 2.

2. Siva Mohan

Yankees
        Arabs
        Russians

all dirty money.. move on.

3. Karan14

Agreed. Reading some of the posts here is depressing. People really need to move on and stop bashing the guy. He's already got what he deserves.

4. Holmes

Apparently bashing others helps you feel better and superior.

12. Azathoth

When Higuain was a Chelsea player,i called him once "Fat Argie"......I'm doomed,if i ever win FPL.

Good one

2. amitmishr

I think I called someone bald genious as well on this very forum... Well, actually I am ok to take this punishment for that, if I get the highest score next year..

3. GreennRed

He's French 😉

13. Totalfootball

Okay guys , have gotten a fair bit of idea of whats going on , but i really think , this guy whose team got deleted should have won . What happens if he wins next yr lets say hypothetically ? So will the epl say , oh you said smthn about someone 2 yrs ago so you are disqualified .
    What was said/discussed/etc was PRIVATE .
    (Ps - i m a normal guy , have never used those words )
    But the point remains , if FPL delete his team , what makes you think Joshua has never said something/laughed/etc with his mates about any player/team coz i know i m a football fan/lover since 15 years and obv rival teams get discussed .
    Ars vs TOT for eg .
    So what was said was private from 7months ago .
    And i have seen way more ppl who are more obnoxious and have a bad attitude than this bloke . Sorry bad decision IMO

14. azahr007

Disgusting how you guys are trivialising what he said. There is significant difference between what he said and the historical significance of the word he used

1. Totalfootball

Not trivialsing , just using common sense .

15. Karan14

FPL really need to start giving out some prices today to stop all this boring talk here!!

1. FPL Pillars

Who’s price do you want to know most?

1. Karan14

Pool defenders and United attackers.

1. FPL Pillars

That’s a lot of prices. Lingard is the one for me 😆 6.5mil fair?
          Can’t wait for them to be released too and create some new material for the chat...

2. Eat my goal!

I imagine robbo and vvd will either hold or drop .5

Taa should rise .5

Certainly the value will still be at the back for pool

3. ritzyd

Here you go:
          Taa 8, robbo 7.5, vvd 6.5, gomez 5.5,
          Greenwood 8, rashford 10, fernandes 11, martial 10

1. Amey

Robbo has done nothing to be 1m more than VVD IMO

2. Siva Mohan

Dwight McNeil

2. mynameisq

Reckon there might be something today to give us something else to talk about, I think Trent's price is up first

3. Amey

Man U attackers
        Bruno 10.0
        Rashford (m) 9.0
        Greenwood (m) 8.0
        Martial (f) 9.0

1. Amey

Rashford Martial way underpriced then.

1. Andy_Social

I feel I underpriced Bruno - prob 10.5-11.
            I'm taking nto account Martial not getting 5 points for a goal and clean sheet points.
            Rashford i thought was a bit underwhelming post-restart.
            If my prices are correct, I'd take Bruno and Greenie, leaving Rash and Mart.

1. Amey

Me too Yeah

16. mynameisq

Wow people are really worried about the precedent this sets, I have two solutions

1) Don't make racist comments
    2) Find better friends

Legit think it's insane that the one time a racist is deleted that some people's first thought is towards a distopian nightmare where everything is reported to fpl and they have to set up a separate team to take action from all the volume of evidence they receive

1. Andy_Social

Explain why you think it's insane.

1. mynameisq

Because it's simply not going to happen, even IF the majority of people have made comments like this, the majority definitely don't have "friends" that will send evidence to fpl anyway

I'd take a bet with you all day long that the number of reports fpl receive next year stays within normal up and down variance in terms of legitimate cases.

All they really need to do is clarify their rules, but other than that what do people really expect of them? There's no perfect solution we can all pick holes in everyone's viewpoint, to me it boils down to they've made the right decision here and I'm glad a big company did something like this

1. Andy_Social

We'll see. I do expect incidents of people snitching on next year's winner or some FPL celebrity who's made enemies with evidence of past indiscretions in social media, sms or some such. And with the case being high-profile and reported in numerous major newspapers, people will chance their arms in other competitions too. Could end up being as commonplace as diving in the penalty area to con the referee.

1. mynameisq

Maybe frivolous claims will increase, and a slight increase sure. There's many hypothetical that could possibly happen, we can't answer them all so we have to let fpl play it by ear. To me this is a good first step, would be a totally different story if they'd gone out of their way to research him but it was sent straight to them, they had to act

2. pingissimus

Overthinking it - right time of year 🙂

We have

Football related competition
            Campaign to kick out racism from football
            Racist incident against a footballer

Clear cut - not even any need to worry about lines in the sand. Only decision. level of sanction.

2. Nightcrawler

U say this now, but would u have believed anyone who said the the fpl no.1 would be removed after a frined mailed a private chat with him using the n word to fpl towers at the start of the season? I certainly would not have believed it

1. mynameisq

I'd *want* it and would think it was the right thing to do but I can't say I'd expect it because numerous companies have let things like this slide in the last

17. Siva Mohan

Fenerbahçe are keen to sign Kelechi Iheanacho on a two-year loan deal from Leicester. The Turkish club want the 23-year-old to replace Vedat Muriqi and are set to offer the Foxes €12m to secure his services. (Source: Fotospor)

Arsenal are considering a £25m move for Ajax attacker Quincy Promes. The 28-year-old is eager to join the Gunners with Mikel Arteta eager to make him one of his first signings this summer. (Source: Sun Sport)

Liverpool are happy with their current midfield options and won't look to sign Bayern Munich's Thiago Alcântara this summer. (Source: Sky Sports)

AC Milan have made a bid to sign Tiemoué Bakayoko on an initial loan from Chelsea for €3M with an option to buy for €35M. The player is keen on the move. (Source: @DiMarzio)

18. ppv

Will the deposed champion be banned for life?

1. mynameisq

No he can play next year

1. Nightcrawler

Why? If he wins it next year its okay becuase he was racist last year not this?

1. mynameisq

Because people have the ability to change and better themselves? And it was an easy decision to make for fpl this year because he's champion and they don't want to be associated with him. Hardly rocket science

2. FPL Pillars

Can’t play from behind bars

1. GreennRed

The bars are shut, unless you want to eat at least €9 of grub here 🙂

3. Siva Mohan

No, but his social media accounts are under scanner now.

4. Sterling Archer

i do not think he is racist, its just the normalised banter people grow up around, if you go to the pub or the stadium you will hear this every time! im sure this is the education he needed but think some of the comments are harsh

1. mynameisq

I'm sure Raz Sterling doesn't agree with you on that one

2. Andy_Social

Hang on. Firstly, did you read the words he used? If that's not racist then the term is meaningless. Secondly, just because something is 'normal' doesn't justify it. Jim Crow laws and lynchings were normal in the Deep South of the USA - it was never acceptable in terms of civilized behaviour. It's this kind of sick 'normal' that the football authorities are trying to eliminate from football terraces and discourse. I utterly and unequivocally condemn his racist words and have no sympathy at all with him. My concerns are purely over unintended consequences in the future.

5. Holmes

Doubt it, can always create a new account with new email. Its that easy...

But I wouldn't have energy to play again if something like that happens to me 😀

19. Oscar Slater

John 8:7

1. Siva Mohan

8 goals and 7 assists .. name the player whose first name is John?

1. Azathoth

Aldridge?

2. Holmes

Stones?

2. GreennRed

But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

1. Andy_Social

Don't see the relevance here. Literally nobody is suggesting anyone can make racist comments because no one is perfect. Besides, the story continues with Jesus telling the woman to go away 'and sin no more'.

1. GreennRed

I didn't write the bible......

1. Andy_Social

I'm responding to 'Oscar Slater'.

20. Totalfootball

Okay guys , that guy alexander anotonov is a racist . And i said a RACIST . Can see it on his face . Written all OVER it . Kick him out . An BAN him for LIFE . You know what ? Even take away his home . He should be punished beyond remorse . His head should be shaved off and made to go in public naked and everyone should say ‘Shame , Shame ‘ (like Cersei in GOT) .

Anyway , what i mean to say is , can anyone give me a guarantee that all those PLAYERS in the EPL, playing in the EPL , have NEVER in their LIVES , when gone to a party or a private chat or lets say in the locker room or on the field used words which are OFFENSIVE , to their teammates or opponets or managers or staff etc .

Common sense needs to prevail .
    Antonov should have apologised appropriately obviously but i think private is PRIVATE .
    Think that FPL acted hastly but they have no choice coz in THESE times , this behaviour is not tolerable and they stripped him off the victory .
    But he was not banned and will be back
    Everyone lets move on common sense should prevail .

1. A Dog Has Its Day

> but i think private is PRIVATE .

racism is still Racism.

2. Wardinator

Of course most of us have said something offensive at some point, but nothing compared to what he said. I have never said anything like that and i’m sure 99% of people in THESE times would be the same as me. The fact you even question if we’ve said something similar implies you’ve said something like that Yourself. It’s a very racist comment and if you say something like that....you are racist!

You can’t say something like that and just apologise and think that makes everything ok, you need to change your whole outlook and learn and develop as a person

I’m glad he had his title stripped, we should take these measures to stamp out racism instead of merely accepting a “sorry I got caught” kind of apology. It’s what makes THESE times better than past times

21. A Dog Has Its Day

How are people even debating this?

Racism = BAD.

1. Totalfootball

Like we dont know ‘RACISM = bad’
      Thanks for letting us know , so knowledgeable of you .
      No 1 is condoning racism , just the fact that guy shouldnt be hanged for it .
      And might as well ban everyone who is playing the game if we are here .

1. Goonsquad245

I mean, judging by the comments over the past few days, it (unbelievably) kinda needs saying.

Not everyone is racist, so why would they ban everyone? Surely you're not against the banning/disqualification of demonstrable, evidenced racists.

1. Totalfootball

‘Demonstrable , evidenced ‘ , you said it yourself .
          I have very strong views towards it .
          Like what happened in USA , i think that cop should be hanged and his team , action should be taken against them coz they being fellow cops on duty it was part of their responsibility .
          Anyway , that was one of the MOST xtreme cases in present times .

2. Totalfootball

And it doesnt have to be demonstrable , a RACIST is a RACIST . He needs to be dealt with .

1. Amey

Are you an ajax fan ?

22. Amey

Dear mods, please add Racism word to banned list just for few days so that this nonsense would stop !

It's upto FPL now to throw something at us. Anything. Give me price of my Ryan Button combo 😀

1. Goodbye Horses

You're right, it's gone way over the bloody top, and it's quite obvious some very disingenuous people here are just using the issue as an excuse to abuse other members.

If it's just target practise these people want, sitting patronising a pack of knuckleheads all day by stating the obvious, take it to facebook or somewhere else.

1. Amey

Frankly speaking I'm bored of it mate. Both ways.
        It's boring to keep talking about same subject for 2 long days 😀

As i said, it's upto FPL now to throw something at us !

1. Goodbye Horses

It's like the Jeremy Kyle show - audience members heckling a pack of chavs onstage so they can get a round of applause.

1. mynameisq

Or is it people simply responding to other people trying to excuse and justify racism?

It would die down instantly if there wasn't a constant stream of people coming in going "OMG PC WOKE SJW AGENDA!!!"

1. Amey

🙂

2. Goodbye Horses

No, very often it's members just jumping on the bandwagon, picking easy targets to call idiots and mugs all day because they've got nothing better to contribute.

1. mynameisq

And what's your contribution exactly, to say call it the Jeremy Kyle show and call people chavs? Great contribution, if only we could all contribute like you.

Don't see calling out racism as jumping on the bandwagon, and definitely wouldn't be blaming the people calling it out over the people trying to defend it, but you do you.

I'm not surprised really, people are usually more upset at the accusations of racism than the actual racism

2. Marmalade Forest

Has to be 9m. No 1st/2nd choice keeping pair should be less.

1. Amey

8.5 is my bet 🙂

2. Andy_Social

Wrong thread, right? Last season players struck lucky with a Ryan/Button combo for 8.5. Can be done.

Oh, found the source Amey. Okay, same again - 4.5/4m

2. Marmalade Forest

Yeah sorry. It “can be done”.

I just don’t think it should.

Ryan/Button were way too highly owned, which means they were too cheap.

1. Andy_Social

Pre-season, Brighton were deemed relegation candidates with Potter unknown. I'm considering a 4.5/4 combo myself, perhaps with Saints or Leeds keeper. If they 'do a Ryan' or even better a Pope (who was 4.5 too) it's all good; if not I use a transfer or change my policy. But I'd say the odds are a 4.5 keeper will not prove great value, just like most 4.5 defenders.

1. Marmalade Forest

It’s the 8.5m “guaranteed a starter if the no1 gets injured/banned” combo that I don’t like to see... Unless they blank, then you’re guaranteed to make a transfer or go without a keeper.

I just feel 4.0s should be third choice keepers, or second choice to a 5.0 keeper.

3. pingissimus

Should perhaps right but transfers could come into play here

Betis are after Guaita for instance and that'd leave Hennessey and another at Palace for 8.5. I'm also not convinced that Ramsdale if he went to SU would necessarily start at 5.0 and he'd get a 4.0 back up.

23. Invincibles

Whatever your views on the incident (I fully back it) FPL more than entitled to do as they did. Let’s move on.

First names in your draft squads for next szn?

TAA
    KDB
    fernandes
    Auba

Rest will be value for money picks for me.

1. Marmalade Forest

Might have a lot of 4s and 4.5s in the team if Auba is a midfielder!

1. Marmalade Forest

Realistic scenario there is 8+12+11+12 = 43m spent on 4 players.

Or 25.5m of your 36m “above baseline budget” leaving just 11.5m to upgrade
        2 keepers, 4 defenders, 2 mids and 3 strikers from their minimum price.

1. Andy_Social

I'm budgeting for something like that. I have to accept 7 of my squad will be in the bargain-basement range.

1. Marmalade Forest

Bold?
            Or is it bolder to avoid ploughing budget into a few key assets?
            I don’t know.

1. Andy_Social

Nobody does. Just like a football manager, there are many strategies and tactics that can be employed. None guarantee success.

1. Marmalade Forest

What do you think the chance is you’ll see Salah at massive ownership, get the fear and drop Auba for him?

1. Andy_Social

I think Salah ownership will start lower this year as there is more premium competition in midfield.

2. Amey

Taa KDB Bruno looks good.
      If Auba is a Midfielder & they sign Willian & Coutinho i will try to get him too

3. liiusions

Sterling is going to be cheaper than KdB. The sheep on this site will pick up on this once the articles come out and we will all go sterling over KdB...

24. liiusions

I actually feel like a kid at Xmas as it seems Mark is coming back.

Can’t explain what made him so good to watch on the Scoutcast, but I think we can all agree it has dropped significantly since he left - at no fault of those who are on it every week

25. GREEN IS GOOD

Anyone who has called Pep a "bald fraud" should be banned from winning FPL. It's clearly hairist.

The guy won FPL fair and square. If I was him I'd sue FPL.

1. Chenku╰☆╮

Now that they have set the precedent it won't be go back. Whoever wins next season should have a clean social media slate or he will get stripped. Any sexist, racist, even right wing comments will be construed as inappropriate and not worthy of any association.

1. GREEN IS GOOD

Exactly. It's Orwellian.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

2. mynameisq

Sexist and racist comments will be "construed" as inappropriate? What else would they be construed as?

2. mynameisq

You just compared having no hair to being racially abused

1. GREEN IS GOOD

So it's ok to mock and abuse bald people is it?

1. mynameisq

Did I say it was? Do you think murder is the same as slapping someone? Racism historically and to this day has more severe consequences than making fun of someone who is bald. Does that mean I agree with bullying people who are bald? no. But in your case of calling pep a bald fraud, no that's not the same as what was said about Sterling

Also your whole defence isn't racism is bad and bullying bald people is bad let's treat both equally

Your defence is more we should let them get away with racism because here's an example of something else that I also don't care about but will use as an example to downplay racism

1. GREEN IS GOOD

But your saying black people have more rights than bald people.

Doesn't everyone have equal rights?

1. mynameisq

No I'm not saying that, I'm saying racism is worse than calling someone bald. They're not the same, there's nothing equal about your comparisons from the offset

And like I said, to give an extreme example do you think punching an adult and punching a baby garners the same punishment? Are you gonna stand there and cry about the adult not having equal rights? There's a context to things, don't deliberately play dumb because racism doesn't bother you

2. Salarrivederci

Just to carve it into a brick wall.

When it comes to playing FPL and either win or being removed from the prizes, then yes, there is a clear difference between black and bald.

PL says no to racism.
              The definition of racism being: 'prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized'.

Bald don't fit into that definition.
              I don't agree with mocking bald people or making fun of a guy like me, who still can't grow a proper beard in the age of 27, but that does not necessarily result in people being stripped from titles and prizes in an FPL-world if they were to make fun of me or someone who is bald.

It is really that clear.
              One can be a douchebag and win FPL, but one cannot state racist comments and win.

1. GREEN IS GOOD

I think Larry David might disagree with you. He's fought for bald rights his entire life.

Btw, I suggest you read 1984. Thought Crime is next.

1. Salarrivederci

Well. Ehm. Okay? 🙂

2. Trophé Mourinho

#baldlivesmatter

3. Trophé Mourinho

So you would sue the Premier League to win what? A PS4, the latest copy of FIFA and a goodie bag?
      Mean while paying 500k in court fees
      Hmmmmm

1. GREEN IS GOOD

Yeah, through the small claims court lol.

1. Trophé Mourinho

Lol, they don’t need a reason to ban you tbh. They have a things about at their disgression, you’d never win

1. GREEN IS GOOD

I'm not sure about the legalities in this case, but I do know that companies can't hide behind an "at our discretion" clause while providing a service.

FPL is free to play however, so he probably hasn't got a leg to stand on (apologies if I have offended anyone with no legs, or anyone extremely drunk).

1. Trophé Mourinho

Even bookies don’t have to pay out at their disgression. And they do exercise that right

26. Destroyer of teams

Rank the kids taking value into consideration, I’ve ranked it in order of how important I think they are for my team with their value but can’t have them all.

KDB 11.5
    Salah 12
    Bruno 10.5
    Son 9
    Auba 12

I know Auba could be explosive but the Bruno at 10.5 and Son at 9 is just too good a value to ignore.

1. Destroyer of teams

Also I know a striker but where would Werner rank?

2. amitmishr

I somehow have a gut feeling for auba. Arteta has put a bit of belief in this team. I think, with Willian and Coutinho, the supplies will be there and auba could have a phenomenal season. Going for him most likely