Our team-by-team guide to the new Fantasy Premier League (FPL) season continues with this preview of Leicester City.
After narrowly missing out on Champions League football in the 2019/20 campaign, the Foxes finished fifth again last season – one point behind fourth-placed Chelsea.
That means more Europa League involvement to contend with, a competition in which Leicester reached the round-of-32 stage in 2020/21.
Don’t forget that you can view in-depth team and player data on Brendan Rodgers’ side in our Premium Members Area.
Leicester have already made a key squad addition in the form of striker Patson Daka (£7.5m).
The Zambian’s style of play makes it seem as though he is a long-term replacement for one Jamie Vardy (£10.5m).
“What (Daka) is doing, everyone is seeing he’s scoring for fun. His biggest strength is his pace. He uses it very well. We are seeing him develop into a good striker, with the strength, pace, and a great conversion rate.” – Zambia international Larry Bwalya
However, few will be expecting the 34-year-old Vardy to suddenly fade out of the Leicester picture despite his age.
That means a likely scenario of Vardy, Daka and Kelechi Iheanacho (£7.5m) battling it out for two striker spots – if Rodgers retains a wing-back system.
Iheanacho produced wonders in the second half of last season, scoring 12 goals and logging two assists from the beginning of February.
Above: FPL assets sorted by goals scored per 90 minutes in 2020/21
The Nigeria striker was actually the top FPL forward for rate of goalscoring, averaging 0.70 goals for every 90 minutes played.
Vardy, meanwhile, registered more big chances than any other Fantasy asset last season (34). Ten of those opportunities arrived from Gameweek 26 onwards, which was the point at which Iheanacho started his run in the side – so any suggestions that the long-serving forward’s goal threat was completely diminished are a little wide of the mark.
Nevertheless, there was a modest drop-off in the veteran striker’s goal threat numbers – and a rise in creativity – after he progressed from lone spearhead to one half of a front two.
Become a Member and get unrestricted access to our data and articles
Full-year memberships, monthly subscriptions and a FREE trial are all now available.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 150+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our brand NEW Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.