Fantasy Premier League (FPL) managers are looking to Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur for the Gameweek 20 captaincy, and as per usual, the Captain Sensible article is here to highlight which assets have the best chance of hauling.
First, we will assess the fallout of the Gameweek 20 captain poll, before then analysing the best options, Rate My Team (RMT) and the Premier Fantasy Tools ratings ahead of Tuesday’s 13:30 GMT deadline.
THE CAPTAIN POLL
Mohamed Salah (£13.0m) is the leader of the captain poll in Gameweek 20, with just under 50% of total votes from our users at the time of writing.
No other player has garnered more than 20% of votes at this stage, with Cristiano Ronaldo (£12.5m) in second backed by 17.17%.
Son Heung-min (£10.5m) occupies third-place with 11.36%, followed by Harry Kane (£12.1m) and Trent Alexander-Arnold (£8.3m), with 4.16% and 3.88% respectively.
MOHAMED SALAH, TRENT ALEXANDER-ARNOLD AND DIOGO JOTA
Mohamed Salah is enjoying an excellent season in the top flight with Liverpool, having already produced 15 goals and 10 assists in 18 games. His underlying numbers are equally impressive, too, as he leads the way amongst all Premier League players for goal attempts (71), shots in the box (58), efforts on target (30), big chances created (11) and expected goals (xG), with 12.14.
Now, a rested Reds’ squad – whose Boxing Day match against Leeds United was postponed – take on an injury and illness-hit Leicester City, who have conceded a whopping 33 league goals so far this season, more than any other side in the division bar Newcastle United, Norwich City and Leeds United.
LEICESTER CITY’S DEFENSIVE STATISTICS 2021/22:
Notably, across their 17 Premier League outings, the Foxes have conceded more chances from their left-zone than any other team in the division, which adds further weight to Salah’s captaincy credentials. However, Trent Alexander-Arnold could also profit from that same weakness, especially with Brendan Rodgers’ side also looking vulnerable defending set pieces. In fact, of the 33 Premier League goals they have conceded this season, nine have arrived from corners and three from free-kicks. That suggests the right-back could be in for another big haul in Gameweek 20, having already outscored his Egyptian team-mate in seven of the last eight Gameweeks.
Another option amongst the Liverpool ranks is Diogo Jota (£8.1m), though it’s hard to make too much of a case for him over Salah, especially with Roberto Firmino (£8.7m) possibly eating into his minutes.
SALAH V JOTA PREMIER LEAGUE STATISTICS 2021/22:
SON HEUNG-MIN AND HARRY KANE
HOW HAS CAPTAIN SENSIBLE PERFORMED SO FAR THIS SEASON?
Full-year memberships and monthly subscriptions are all now available.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to Members content in over 250+ articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.