News

FPL Daily: Ronaldo injury latest and more Blank/Double Gameweek permutations

We round up the key Fantasy Premier League (FPL) talking points of the day in FPL Daily, a weekday series that serves non-Premier League matchdays and days when we don’t bring you a team news/press conference round-up.

RONALDO INJURY LATEST

Cristiano Ronaldo (£12.5m) missed out on Manchester United’s FA Cup win over Aston Villa on Monday evening, although his omission, and those of Jadon Sancho (£8.9m) and Phil Jones (£4.5m), sounded very much precautionary in nature.

“They are having problems. I wouldn’t say that they are injured, but they have muscular problems.

“I spoke with Cristiano yesterday before training, he told me that he’s had some problems for the last couple of days. Minor problems, but in the end, we decided that it made more sense to not take any risks in a game that could easily last 120 minutes, so we just decided to rest him, not play him at all.

“I suppose he will be in the stadium but he had some problems with his hip, with his hip muscle, and we just decided that it would be better for him not to play this game.

“I don’t think it’s anything serious. He’s told me that he’s had that problem for the last couple of days. Again, in a cup game when you can play 120 minutes, I thought it would be better to not take any risks.

“With Phil Jones, he’s having some minor problems on the calf. Again in a cup game like the one tonight it doesn’t make any sense [to risk him] – even more so if it’s the calf muscle.

“[Jadon] was supposed to be in the squad. He had some issues with hamstrings on both sides so again it doesn’t make sense to take any risks.” – Ralf Rangnick

Harry Maguire (£5.4m) also sat the game out with a rib problem but he is expected back for Double Gameweek 22.

“He’s still suffering a little bit from his rib contusion and again I hope to have him back for the Villa [Premier League] game on Saturday, but for tonight he was not available.” – Ralf Rangnick on Harry Maguire

Ollie Watkins (£7.7m) returned and played 90 minutes for Aston Villa, meanwhile.

FIRST BLANK GAMEWEEK 30 FIXTURE CONFIRMED… AND ANOTHER DOUBLE GAMEWEEK IN THE PIPELINE?

Aston Villa’s elimination from the FA Cup means that we have our first Gameweek 30 fixture confirmed as being on – Covid-permitting, of course.

Gameweek 30 will be a blank for a number of teams, as it clashes with the FA Cup quarter-finals and there is no prospect of the games being held in the subsequent midweek as an international break follows.

But Villa and Arsenal are both out of the competition, so their planned league meeting on the weekend of March 19/20 will go ahead.

As for matters a lot sooner, six Premier League sides were knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle and the elimination of three of them, Villa, Burnley and Leeds, is something worth mentioning.

Aston Villa v Burnley and Leeds v Aston Villa are two of the many outstanding fixtures that still have to be rearranged and it’s possible that one of them (the former being the favourite, as it is not a televised fixture that would clash with broadcasted FA Cup ties) could be housed on the Saturday/Sunday immediately before Gameweek 24. Only the FA Cup fourth round is taking place that weekend, so sides eliminated from the competition could theoretically fulfil a league game.

We may have a mini-Double Gameweek involving Villa and Burnley or Leeds, then – and that would mean the game either being tagged on to the end of Gameweek 23 or the deadline for Gameweek 24 being brought forward a few days.

LIVRAMENTO FITNESS UPDATE

Tino Livramento (£4.3m) won’t play a part in Southampton’s one and only Double Gameweek 21 fixture on Tuesday but is at least back on the grass after his recent knee issue.

“We are looking from day to day, the first steps in training now have shown no reaction from the knee which is good, there’s no new fluid and that gives us a little bit of hope. He’s still not in team training so we will have a look from day to day.” – Ralph Hasenhuttl

Che Adams (£6.8m) and Mohammed Salisu (£4.5m) are available but Thierry Small (£4.0m), Kyle Walker-Peters (£4.8m) and Yan Valery (£3.9m) are absent – the first two because of illness, the latter due to a one-match ban.

As for Brentford, Thomas Frank confirmed that Sergi Canos (£5.5m) and Mathias Jensen (£4.9m) will be available on Tuesday. Rico Henry (£4.5m) won’t make it but could return in Gameweek 22, while Zanka (£4.5m) is partly back in training.

AFCON GETS UNDERWAY

The Africa Cup of Nations got underway on Sunday night and four more matches took place on Monday, with a late, late Sadio Mane (£11.8m) penalty ensuring that Senegal got off to a winning start.

A Premier League player’s nation would have to be eliminated from the group stage in order for him to have any chance of returning to the UK in time for Gameweek 23 but the prospects look slim for most FPL assets as 16 of the 24 competing nations progress to the knockout rounds.

Pre-season price offer extended for FFScout Premium Membership 10

Full-year memberships, monthly subscriptions and a FREE trial are all now available.

• Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
  • Enjoy our Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.

1. The-Red-1
    17 days, 1 hour ago

Assuming with this it's a sit tight (2.9itb)?

DDG
    TAA Cancelo Royal
    Jota Maddison Bowen Gray
    Kane Dennis Antonio

Bench: Foster Son Kilman Targett

Or tempted to FH to get 11 doublers?

1. Drumandbaines123
      17 days, 1 hour ago

5 decent doublers enough IMO and you have some of the good ones. Save FH if you can for a better opportunity.

2. Lignja
      17 days, 1 hour ago

Dont think 11 doublers will be worth of using fh, make transfer or two and ur gtg

3. mrelpea
      17 days, 1 hour ago

Once I do Ronnie to Kane and Scarlett to Dennis for a 4, my team will look pretty similar. I'll have 5 DGW players and I'm also holding tight with Son and keeping him until he's back. I'm going to hold onto the FH, just know it will come in handy further down the line. I think your team is good and doesnt need a FH

17 days, 1 hour ago

We have practically the same team. Yeah I'd probably roll FT here.

2. Make Arrows Green Again
    17 days, 1 hour ago

Does anyone else remember OPTA/Setanta's Golden Shot from a few years back? It's basically like an really simple, casual (and not at all serious) fantasy game where you pick a player at the start of the season and when he scores you lose.

Of course it's easy to pick a player who won't score, the fun bit is that the winning player is the one to take the most shots without scoring. So you want to pick someone who takes loads of shots but can't finish. I remember Papa Bouba Diop 'winning' it one year, and maybe Stewart Downing another? which dates the competition a bit! I recall it was picked up on things like FISO or even the BBC but I can find almost nothing about it online.

I have created a 'Golden Shot' table for a bit of fun: https://members.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/public-stats-tables/view/55661/

McClean, Traoré and Trincão are winning the race at 21 unsuccessful shots each, ahead of Pogba, Redmond and McNeil at 20.

If there is any interest in this I might run it as a draft-style competition for next season 🙂

1. NateDog
      17 days, 1 hour ago

Can't Say I remember it but this sounds pretty cool, and nice info digging on this season's stats. Can't say I'm at all surprised by Traore being up there, the way he's been for a while I'd say he's nearly a cheat code!

2. Herogrows
        17 days, 1 hour ago

That sounds fun, count me in if you sort it for next season, my moneys on Traore this year!

1. Make Arrows Green Again
          17 days, 1 hour ago

Will do, I'll make a note of any names now and I will try to get a hot topic closer to the time as well

• Make Arrows Green Again
        17 days, 1 hour ago

Thanks for the replies! Traoré is interesting. He's a gamble in this format though.. will he really go all season without scoring?

2020-21 joint winners by the way were Brownhill and Zambo Anguissa with 34 shots each, no goals; Partey and Douglas Luiz in joint 3rd with 26.

2019-20 went Højbjerg (46!); Fred (40); Digne (29) Digne is a surprise I think.

3. Lignja
      17 days, 1 hour ago

Any idea what transfers should i do here?

Ddg
      Taa, Cancelo, Davies
      Jota, Foden, Bowen, Martineli
      Ronaldo, Antonio, King

Sanchez, Dalot, Coufal, Son

4. Aston VII iia hahaha
      17 days, 1 hour ago

Anyone else think Daka might be a decent punt or is he not ready

1. Make Arrows Green Again
        17 days, 1 hour ago

Sorely tempted if he's fit - problem is I don't know who to drop. I have Ronaldo and Dennis, and I might captain either one of them, so selling isn't an option. I also have Watkins but he has good fixtures and a possible double coming up. I might sell the likes of Antonio for him if I still had him.

2. NateDog
        17 days, 1 hour ago

Very much tempted by him if Leicester's games go ahead. The worry I'd have is the fact he's coming back from a hamstring injury so even if he is fit and they have no other strikers I can see him being benched for at least one game

3. CABAYE4
        17 days, 1 hour ago

I wouldn’t expect him to start even if the game is on.

Maddison, Barnes, Perez & Lookman started the cup game and would expect all to start.

1. Aston VII iia hahaha
          17 days, 1 hour ago

I already have Maddison and was wondering whether to bring one of the others in for Son. Maybe Lookman or Tielmans.

4. St Pauli Walnuts
        15 days, 23 hours ago

Half tempted on a FH, but really with all the other unknowns and risks at the moment it's not worth adding another one to the mix so I'll likely pass unless there's very firm news from Rogers that he is ready to run an ultra marathon.

1. Aston VII iia hahaha
          15 days, 23 hours ago

I think the freehits will be better utilised later in the season when Covid is less of an issue. Plenty of double game weeks to be scheduled

1. St Pauli Walnuts
            15 days, 22 hours ago

I agree for most people, but after the Son news I only have one DGW player which is Alonso (unless you include Duffy which I don't!) ... that seems like a guaranteed red arrow with most having 4 or 5 before FTs.

5. Ando

Suggestions on what to do with my team? 1FT available and 1.1m ITB

Ramsdale / (Steele)

TAA / Cancelo / Reguilon / Alonso / (James*)

Son* / B. Silva / Bowen / (Foden*) / (ESR*)

Antonio / Watkins / King

1. CONNERS
        17 days, 1 hour ago

Jota for Son and maybe ESR to Moura or Leicester mid?

2. Herogrows
          17 days, 1 hour ago

Obviously James has got to go,maybe for Lamptey for the double or a Leicester defender?

• mrelpea
          17 days, 1 hour ago

James to Ben Davies or Lamptey/Cucurella and you have 11 playing players of which 4 are good DGW'ers. Personally, I'd keep hold of Son as he may already be back for the second game of DGW. Even if he doesn't make that, he tends to recover quickly from injuries, so expecting to see him playing soon.

3. Arteta
        17 days, 1 hour ago

I was eyeing Watkins ➡ King move but according to BC (https://twitter.com/BenCrellin/status/1480691961006903300) they could have DGW soon. It's a tricky situation because I really think Joshua will finally explode and is worth owning even for a short period.

I could still do it and then just do the reverse transfer next gameweek, which means I "wasted" 2 transfers. Ah, decisions.

Lose Antonio.

17 days, 1 hour ago

He has no DGWs left and then plays MUN next week. In a similar situation on FanTeam with a forward line of Antonio, Watkins, Ronaldo.

Having looked at the fixtures, keeping Watkins with his run of games and two games in hand of BUR lee should trump Antonio. This is the long term planning coming in handy.

2. Arteta
            17 days, 1 hour ago

Kane and Dennis are my strikers. I'm prepared to take a punt on double Watford attack and play the odds.

17 days, 1 hour ago

I wouldn't trade Watkins. Not for one week of doubled Watford attackers. No way.

Just do something else or roll FT.

1. NateDog
                17 days, 1 hour ago

If you don't have Watkins currently but wanted him next week (regardless of DGW) do you think moving a different striker (Broja) to a doubler and then to Watkins after is silly? I can't make up my mind whether I think it's too wasteful or not, considering Broja's opposition and the alternative having two games I think it could be worthwhile, but I'm also wary of wasting FTs or taking more hits.

17 days, 49 mins ago

If you have Broja it's an easy switch to King or Dennis this week imo. Deal with next week when it comes.

1. NateDog
                    17 days, 44 mins ago

Cheers, the way things are moving it looks like that's the way I'd go but I didn't want to feel like it was a waste

2. Andy_Social
          17 days, 1 hour ago

I bought Watkins with an eye to a string of decent fixtures, even without a possible DGW. Madness that people have sold him now.

1. Arteta
            17 days, 1 hour ago

I bought him in GW15 and apart from that Norwich game owning him has been a huge disappointment. I'll probably have to deal with other issues in my team anyway and let him stay at the end of the day.

3. CONNERS
          17 days, 1 hour ago

I'm doing Watkins to Dennis in order to have the Watford double up for 2 GWs (DGW then Norwich).

Will probably get Watkins back for King in GW24.

17 days, 1 hour ago

But if Villa double in 23 as is predicted it's a disaster.

2. Arteta
            17 days, 1 hour ago

Similar plan to mine I see. Will you also choose one of them as your captain?

4. NateDog
          17 days, 1 hour ago

Watkins has an insane fixture run coming up, if you're happy to transfer him back next week then you could do it but FTs are pretty vital the way things are currently, and MU isn't a bad fixture for him anyway

1. Arteta
            17 days, 1 hour ago

I know I know, it's just that gut feeling about King and how he's gonna prove everyone (especially Dennis owners - including myself) wrong.

17 days, 41 mins ago

If you think King outscores Watkins by 4+ points over:
              new, bur, NOR vs MUN, eve, BUR

Then do it. But I don't see it working out as often as it fails.

5. CONNERS
          17 days, 1 hour ago

Other than Son who I'll also be replacing this week, I don't have any pressing transfers on the horizon so can get Watkins back quickly if needed.

Also have both FHs in hand just in case.

4. mrelpea
        17 days, 1 hour ago

Very temped to bring a Watford goalie in for the DGW, to cover Ramsdale when Arsenal have BGW's and in preparation for having a playing second goalie for BB. Does anyone know if Bachmann is back as number 1 for Watford or will Foster be back once he recovers?

1. Andy_Social
          17 days, 1 hour ago

Neither of them are likely to return over one point a game.

1. mrelpea
            17 days, 1 hour ago

Agreed, they are far from ideal options, but I want to bring Dennis in as my third striker, which only leaves me with 4.4m budget for the second goalie. I could bring King in over Dennis and get Sanchez, but Im not sure i want to downgrade Dennis

2. Drumandbaines123
          17 days, 49 mins ago

Wouldn't go near the Watford keepers. How about Dubravka at 4.4 if you really wanted Dennis? He would also cover Ramsdale blanks, just doesn't have a double this week. If it was me though I'd probably go for Sanchez and King.

1. mrelpea
            17 days, 39 mins ago

Cheers, Dubravaka is a good shout. I've been completely put off the Watford keepers now. The Sanchez/King combo makes the most sense on paper, but both rivals in work mini league have King, so I want to go something a bit different. That said, if there's even a whiff of Dennis not having shaken the knock, i'll go Sanchez/King

5. CABAYE4

DDG captain anyone?

GKs often do well in DGWs and one CS should give him a double digit haul with the number of saves he gets.

1. Holmes

as good as any

2. CONNERS
          17 days, 1 hour ago

With the amount of uncertainty around at the moment, it's not the worst of punts.

It just feels a bit depressing captaining a keeper mind you.

1. CABAYE4
            17 days, 45 mins ago

Certainly not the most fun to route for!

3. NateDog
          17 days, 59 mins ago

Doesn't sound like a bad idea honestly. I've been considering doing the same with Lloris but I'd be less confident of save points with him

6. Moose™
        17 days, 48 mins ago

Hi all,

Any early thoughts?

Sanchez (Ramsdale)

TAA* Cancelo Dawson (White Livra*)

Salah* Son* Jota Bowen (Brownhill)

Antonio Watkins Dennis*

1 FT & 1.4 ITB

Salah & Son to???

1. FF Dirtbag
          17 days, 41 mins ago

Salah and Antonio out for Maddison and Kane?

1. Moose™
            17 days, 30 mins ago

Antonio have Leeds at home. Reluctant to get rid of him

7. RamaJama
        17 days, 42 mins ago

Broja/Son to King/ one of Maddison//Moura/Mount worth -4?

Also have Kane and Dennis

1. FF Dirtbag
          17 days, 40 mins ago

Probably worth it. The points loss will be made up from appearances so everything else is gravy

8. FF Dirtbag
        17 days, 38 mins ago

Thoughts on my FT: Antonio -> Kane?

Will have this team:
        Sanchez
        TAA Cancelo Royal
        Jota Foden Bilva Maddison
        Kane Watkins Dennis

Steele; Son, Livra, Williams

9. CABAYE4
        17 days, 35 mins ago

Who scores more over the next 2 GW?

A. Kane (ARS, lei, che)
        B. Antonio (LEE, mun) + 8 points

1. Dark Side Of The Loon!
          17 days, 29 mins ago

2. Moose™
          17 days, 28 mins ago

Tough. But, leaing towards Antonio imo

3. JBG
          17 days, 27 mins ago

4. Little Red Lacazette
          17 days, 26 mins ago

10. KarlosTheJackal
        16 days, 23 hours ago

Man Utd midfielders - funds aren't a massive issue but nice to have spare if possible. I'll be picking 1 for the next 5-6 fixtures, so need a starter. My thoughts right now:

A - Fernandes - More nailed on but is it best value?
        B - Rashford - Probably will come in as first reserve if CR7 throws a wobbler or anyone else out
        C - Greenwood - I think the highest ceiling points wise. Only worry is minutes next 6 games
        Z - Flipside - Cavani as an attacker (-4) but would mean losing Watkins or Antoni, who I want to keep.

Willing to listen if anyone has a better understanding of the current tactics at Man Utd.
        Thanks

1. Fefguero
          16 days, 15 hours ago

I am not touching any of them. Consensus tactics is to stay away from UTD players all together. There is clearly a serious issue with the team and management

11. K4pril
        16 days, 22 hours ago

Hello!
        Could use se pro tips as I am 2nd in my mini league by 8p!

1FT 4.9 mil in bank

DDG
        TAA, Cancelo, Lapmtey, Regulion
        Grey, Bowen, Jota
        Antonio, DCL, Watkins

Ramsdale, Son, Coufal, Martinelli

What to do T.T

I just transfered out Dennis as he meant to go to Afcon but now he's tempting...

Just transfered Son for Salah and he's deffinetly out right? Should I bring Lookman or Maddison instead? Or Lucas?

Is TAA deffinetly not playing? I would bench him for that 1 week but who do I play 😡

Or should I take some hits and play bench boost?

1. Fefguero
          16 days, 15 hours ago

If you want pro tips you need to wait and check news closer to deadline. Doing moves like the dennis one could have been avoided.

Likewise need to watch what happens to Leicester - if they have a game postponed you might prefer moura for son. If not Maddison but you dont look to be in a position to need to FH or take hits. Not advisable this week

12. EDUARDO DA SILVA
        16 days, 21 hours ago

Never done this, but does wildcard cancel hits like free hit?
        Thanks in advance

13. Roni! Toni! Toney!
        16 days, 11 hours ago

when will the bext dgw be and which teams will play twice?

1. Roni! Toni! Toney!