Amid the never-ending discord between supporter, manager and much-maligned owner, Newcastle United’s 2017/18 campaign was one that any newly promoted Championship club would be happy to emulate.
Having bounced back from their relegation in 2015/16 at the first attempt, the Magpies finished tenth in the Premier League last season and only fell into the drop zone on two occasions throughout the season – one of which was on the opening weekend.
United had the seventh-best defensive record in the top flight (conceding four fewer goals than Arsenal) and the likes of Jamaal Lascelles and Martin Dubravka offered excellent value in Fantasy Premier League, priced as they were at £4.5m.
Ayoze Perez, meanwhile, was one of the stand-out budget forwards in the second half of the season, scoring six goals in the final eight matches of the season.
Price hikes for Lascelles, Dubravka and Perez, a lack of investment from Mike Ashley, and awful fixtures in the first eight Gameweeks will likely deter many FPL bosses from purchasing any Newcastle assets initially. However, Benitez’s ability to make his squad greater than the sum of its parts means that a handful of their budget picks are worth considering once the fixtures ease up.
In-depth data on Newcastle’s season is available in the Members’ Area, while Fantasy Football Scout members can also read our detailed analysis of the key statistics in the article below.
Read more with Scout
Pick your FPL team for 2018/19 using our list of best available players, sorted for your convenience by position and price:
- Defenders: Budget
- Defenders: Mid-Price and Premium
- Midfielders: Budget
- Midfielders: Mid-Price
- Midfielders: Premium
Also check out our detailed statistical analysis articles on every team comparing data for the last two seasons to highlight the players to sign and the players to avoid:
- Brighton & Hove Albion
- Cardiff City
- Crystal Palace
- Huddersfield Town
- Leicester City
- Manchester City
- Read them all in one place
Become a Member and access our data
Memberships for the 2018/19 campaign are now available for the pre-season price of just £12.50. This will increase to the regular price of £15 after the first Gameweek of the season.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to over 130+ exclusive members articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.