Quiz

Take our Fantasy Premier League 2013/14 quiz

We venture back in time once more as we hit you with 20 questions on the 2013/14 campaign in our Fantasy Premier League quiz.

This was the season in which Liverpool came within a whisker of a first league title since 1990, with Brendan Rodgers’ side slipping up in the closing weeks of the season.

Manchester City scooped their second Premier League crown on the final day as their cross-city rivals floundered under David Moyes, while Sunderland escaped the drop despite having been bottom on Christmas Day.

As ever there’s a mix of questions on Fantasy returns and notable events, which vary in difficulty from the straightforward to the nigh-on impossible.

The multi-choice format at least ensures you have a 25% chance of getting each one of them right…

Click ‘next’ below to start the quiz and to cycle through the questions, and let us know how you got on in the comments section.

READ MORE: Our 2014/15 quiz
READ MORE: Our 2015/16 quiz
READ MORE: Our 2016/17 quiz
READ MORE: Our 2017/18 quiz
READ MORE: Our 2018/19 quiz
READ MORE: Our 2019/20 quiz

Results

#1 → Who top-scored for FPL points in 2013/14, setting a record that Mohamed Salah subsequently broke four years later?

#2 → The Bonus Points System as we know it now was introduced in 2013/14. What was the name of its immediate predecessor, which was used to distribute post-match bonus?

#3 → Who scored the fastest goal of the 2013/14 campaign (after 12 seconds) from this position?

#4 → Robin van Persie was the most expensive FPL asset when the game relaunched in the summer of 2013. What was his astronomical starting price?

#5 → The most expensive FPL midfielder upon the game’s release didn’t play a single minute in the Premier League in 2013/14. Who was he?

#6 → All of these players cost £7.0m or less in FPL in 2013/14. Who was the cheapest, starting out at £4.5m?

#7 → Who was the only one of these Premier League heavyweights not to feature in FPL’s end-of-season Dream Team (the rest scored more than 170 points in 2013/14)?

#8 → Who was the only FPL asset whose ownership rose above the 60% mark during the 2013/14 season?

#9 → Which FPL defender found the back of the net on 11 occasions in 2013/14 – although four of his ‘goals’ came at the wrong end of the pitch?

#10 → Who plundered a whopping 31 points in Double Gameweek 31 of the 2013/14 campaign?

#11 → Why did Chelsea and Aston Villa have a Double Gameweek 1 and a Blank Gameweek 3?

#12 → Which defender was the ‘Aaron Wan-Bissaka’ of the 2013/14 season, starting 36 games and racking up 123 points from a starting price of £4.0m?

#13 → Which Southampton asset registered 18 attacking returns and 178 points in 2013/14, becoming the first and only Saints player since James Beattie in 2002/03 to make FPL’s end-of-season Dream Team?

#14 → Only one of these players didn’t start at least one league match in Manchester City’s title-winning campaign. Who was the odd man out?

Wright was part of the City squad from 2012-16 but didn’t make one first-team appearance

#15 → Who was the highest-scoring Fantasy asset who didn’t play for a ‘big six’ side in 2013/14, racking up 180 FPL points?

#16 → Who ended up as the top-scoring FPL goalkeeper after an eventful season that included 15 clean sheets, two penalty saves, an assist, an own-goal and a red card?

#17 → How many FPL points did Luis Suárez accrue in the first five Gameweeks of his record-setting 2013/14 campaign?

Suarez was banned for Liverpool’s first five league matches of the season after biting Branislav Ivanovic in the previous season

#18 → Which £4.5m asset proved to be the best-value midfielder (based on points per million) in 2013/14, registering seven goals and six assists?

#19 → 2013/14 was the last season in which we saw a defender handed a starting price of more than £7.0m. Who was the player in question (he initially cost £7.5m)?

#20 → At the tail-end of a career that spanned three decades, whose Gameweek 1 assist was his final ever attacking return in the Premier League?

finish
  1. FPL Virgin

When is the next fixture swing in V(F)PL?

1. FPL Pillars

I’m surprised you can’t answer that yourself, you seem to be posting about it every few hours 😆

1. FPL Virgin

You're a pillar of the FFS community, Pillar.

Maybe 19, when Liverpool's 3 red fixtures are out of the way?

1. BananaNose Maldonado

Yeah, I think it’s 19. Fixtures get better for Liverpool, Everton, and Southampton, and turn a bit worse for Wolves and Spurs. Arsenal and Bournemouth continue their good runs.

It’s why I’ll be waiting until GW19 to wildcard.

2. troux

VFPL Friendly Results:

Liverpool 1-0 Newcastle
    Gomez G, Salah A

Players with the most involvement in attack:
    Salah: 14, Robertson: 7, Alexander-Arnold: 6, Gomez: 4, Chamberlain: 3, van Dijk: 3

Liverpool 2-0 Crystal Palace
    VVD G
    Firmino G, VVD A

Players with the most involvement in attack:
    Salah: 15, Firmino: 11, van Dijk: 7, Chamberlain: 4, Alexander-Arnold: 4, van Aanholt: 3

Liverpool 2-1 Brighton
    Firmino G, Henderson A
    Firmino G, Robertson A

Jahanbakhsh G, March A

Players with the most involvement in attack:
    Firmino: 13, Alexander-Arnold: 12, Salah: 12, Robertson: 9, Trossard: 7, Chamberlain: 6

1. Dr. Agabuse

nice i bought the Brazilian lad for Kane yesterday

3. Dr. Agabuse

Hi, since there is not much to write atm but i feel that a lot of people still come to look at new entries, i wish to create a memory lane here:

Write down a specific personal memory of a gameweek (one GW) that you remember that gave you a special feeling or ended your hopes or changed your luck or won you your minileague or lost you your sanity for real life.
    The day you rode home just to change the captain on your pc pre phonetime or the day when you changed your wc team into a succes a minute before deadline or the day you bought Dusan Tadic and he scored 4assists.
    smth like that and it may be very personal!

BNMC wrote:

I'm a relatively new FPL player (this is only my second year) but I've had my fair share of moments. However my pick has to be GW11 this season - I scored 90 points despite not owning Vardy and my captain (Sterling) blanking. That was the week where Lundstram got 21 points, Soyuncu scored a goal (in fact all my defenders scored 6+ points), and Auba and Tammy both did well. But it was the rank swing that really stood out - I got a GW rank of 98k and jumped from 2.2m into the top million and stayed there since.

Imagine I had captained someone else, that would have been a 100+ point GW surely!

There's also GW38 last year, I didn't get the best score but I clutched my mini-league that day, ended up winning by 20 points despite spending most of the season in 2nd place.

1. Dr. Agabuse

i myself had Downing Tadicfrom the start of their upswings.
      It was the first year, that i had used the members info and one night i got drunk and on the next morning it was the famous GW14 that catapulted me into the top 100 because it was such a swingday.
      Every player had scored for me. I had more than 100pts and it seemed i couldnt do any wrong.
      I had Benteke as my TC later this season when he banged in a few for Villa in a DGW.
      I was10th on the last day of the season and watched the Arsenal game on tele.
      I was counting the points and felt i had lost top10 by a mile.
      I watched Ramsey bein intoduced and he almost scored twice in the last 10mins.
      Later i discovered that if he had scored i wouldve made it but i ended up 12.

It was somehow a sad day but ever since i can tell this story and 12th seems a lot better than back then.
      My secret that season was to throw out players after a good score, not to keep them for tougher fixture.
      I remember that I had let go Downing /at West Ham before everyone else and that i always felt that there was still spare room and that i didnt feel any pressure but a lot of joy. i would look at stats and feel that chances created was a good indicator bc you dont waste your created chances yourself. its somewhat more objective that quantitive count.

1. Gentle_Turks

2015/16 my first FPL season I registered for FPL, chose a GW1 team but forgot to save it so got zero points that week! I was green and didn't know what I was doing lol. Still got a respectable-ish rank that season though.

2015/16 - rank 440700
        2016/17 - rank 46089
        2017/18 - rank 11400
        2018/19 - rank 3600

This season has been a nightmare though, so I'm not going to continue that upward curve.

4. Legomané

Thoughts appreciated - Cheers 🙂

A) Kane Bruno > Haller Salah©️
    B) Kane Perez > Connolly Salah©️ (play Lascelles)
    C) Kane > Firmino©️ (roll FT, Auba in next wk)
    D) Something else? 2FT 0.4 ITB

Heaton
    TAA Alonso Doherty
    KDB Bruno Perez Traore
    Kane** Rashford Jiménez

(Button Lascelles Williams Hayden)

1. BNMC

Haller's an interesting one, but I don't think we've seen enough of him yet. Snodgrass seems like the best Hammer.

I like the look of B though, if you're willing to shift to a back 4.

1. Legomané

Cheers 🙂
          Probs just for one GW. Likely ditching Mo again for Auba (-4) next week, unless i punt on Pépé instead.

• FPL Virgin

B. Salah has to come in asap.

1. FPL Virgin

..... and stay!

1. Legomané

What, and miss the chance if Pépé cap v BOU...never! 😆

• Treadstone

B....think Salah (C) is a must have this gameweek.

• Ragnarok

• Legomané

Thanks all, locked in -- good luck 🙂

Heaton
        TAA Alonso Doherty Lascelles
        Salah© KDB Bruno Traore
        Rashford Jiménez

(Button Hayden Connolly Williams )

2. BNMC

Who scores more this week? (On a free hit)
        A. Bruno and Ward
        B. Martial and Targett
        C. Zaha and Aurier
        D. Grealish and Doherty
        Or any other def+mid combo with 12.8 to spend

1. BNMC

Should probably mention that I already have Alonso

• FPL Virgin

Snodgrass and Willian maybe.

1. FPL Virgin

Maybe punt on a Matt Ritchie penalty.

• FPL Virgin

Not a great gameweek to free hit to be honest. Only 6 green fixtures and one of them is a juicy fixture for Liverpool. Difficult to get ahead of the pack.

• Ragnarok

D

2. Jon Walter's Hatty

7th April 2015. Got to OR2 and OR1 in England. Blast that Simon March!

Was the night of a Benteke hatty in a 3-3 with QPR. Just remember looking at the rankings like it was a dream.

That season my team Bristol City were D1 champs and won FL trophy at Wembley too. Who would know that 5 years on we would be here...

1. Jon Walter's Hatty

...to Dr Agabuse...

3. Saint Steve-O (@EliteFPL)

11/20

4. tets mcgee (BSC Small boys-…

any1 got any interesting friendly results to share?

1. tets mcgee (BSC Small boys-…

i had leic 2-3 saints with a ward prowse hatty

1. tets mcgee (BSC Small boys-…

pool2-1 arsenal taa salah and auba goals

1. tets mcgee (BSC Small boys-…

pool 1-1 bourne van dijk and fraser

5. dunas_dog

V-FPL- With 2 free transfers thinking Button to Heaton and play ( Leno good fixtures from next week) and Kane to either
          A Abraham
          B Firmino

Any views welcome on these options, or any better suggestions?

Leno* Button
          TAA Alonso Maguire Fernández
          C Taylor
          Salah Alli Martial Pérez Hayden
          Kane* Jota DCL

6. Ógie

9/20

A real trip down nostalgia lane there. 🙂

7. Gentle_Turks

vFPL
          Who's your Kane replacement? Tempted to go Abraham but not really convinced by him or Chelsea. Great fixture though....
          Or get ahead of the curve and bring Auba in now? Surely he scores against UTD?

1. BNMC

Either Firmino or Jimenez for me. Already got Auba.

1. Gentle_Turks

Thought about Jimenez but got Jota and not sure want to double up.

• dunas_dog

Firmino or Abraham for me.

1. Gentle_Turks

Not convinced by Firmino but he has great fixture.

• bitm2007

FH for me, then Kane to Auba next GW.

2. SDC

18/20.
            That was my First full season in Fpl (started Fpl from the last few GmWks of 2012/13). Nostalgic 🙂

3. Bad Kompany

Anyone triple captaining Salah?

Norwich has conceded 15 goals in 6 away games. They also allow the most goals per an attack. Liverpool has the most attacks. Also, with Mane suspended, Salah has been involved in a much higher percentage of their attacks.

1. Ragabolly

With no doubles in the season, this seems like a good shout. But if he blanks, I was never here 😀

1. Bad Kompany

Lol 🙂

2. fc_skrald

Salah (TC) in my team 🙂

3. Yank Revolution

Think I may do that too

4. dunas_dog

Thought I would run Liverpool home friendly as thinking Kane to Firmino and triple captain Salah

Liverpool 0 Crystal Palace 1 !!

Schlupp goal Dann assist.

1. Ragabolly

Things can happen but keep in mind Palace have been really strong defensively in vFPL while Norwich are very weak.

5. pablo discobar

Project restart looking dodgy with the Brighton outbreak

6. fc_skrald

Virtual FPL:
            I think I will use the triple captain chip on Salah tonight. I'm very often wrong anyway so I might just use it now.

Not sure what to do with my transfers. Pérez is my only concern and I dont know who to get instead so I guess I should keep him - Zaha, Grealish? Any ideas?

Heaton
            TAA, Alonso, Aurier, Doherty
            Salah, KDB, Martial, Pérez
            Jimenez, Ings

Button, Greenwood, Hayden, Simpson
            2 FT, 1.4 million in the bank

7. Ragabolly

Judging by the activity here and on Twitter, looks like Salah will have a lot of triple captainers today in vFPL! Wouldn't be surprised if he's the first player to ever have a virtual EO of above 100%. Best of luck everyone 🙂

1. Ógie

I was considering using it on Salah myself as the numbers look encouraging coupled with Mane being absent so he won't steal the show this gw.

If he does well when i run my sim games then it will be hard not to use the chip but the fact that lots of others are thinking the same thing actually puts me off a bit.

1. Ragabolly

Yeah it's like regular FPL when a player has huge ownership. If you risk against him, it's either a huge gain or huge loss..

2. Nomar

You just know the sim is going to make Firmino score a brace now.

8. badgerboy

12/20. This was my first FPL season and didn't read the rules properly on how captaincy worked. Put the armband on Lucas Leiva, thinking he would be the best captain for my team in real life, and kept getting p!ssed off when the game kept resetting it onto Van Persie. Lucas scored his standard 2 points RVP hit a brace with full bonus 😀 A quick lesson to learn 😀

9. Galza

Free hit for me tonight...

Heaton
            Targett / Gomez / Aurier
            Son / Salah(c) / KDB / Alli / Snoddy
            Abraham / Firmino

Bench fodder + Greenwood.

Green arrow incoming...?

1. Ragabolly

Would be strange to FH this week and not include a LIV fullback

1. Galza

Good point. I’ll have a look at what I could do..,

10. TopMarx - H2H L4 D5

**Virtual FPL Spreadsheet Update**

I've made some improvements to the Virtual FPL Spreadsheet, these are the recent changes:

- You can now exclude injured players (thanks to RB for adding this data to the downloadable csv).
            - The next fixture shows for each player.
            - Update the 'Gameweek Fixture' box to show the correct next fixture.
            - New stat: Pts/£/90 aka Value/90.
            - Spreadsheet automatically updates, so you shouldn't need to change the 'Source Sheet'.

Player Picker (see tab at bottom):

- Now includes colour-coded 'Upcoming Fixture Run'.
            - You don't need to worry about accents when typing player names.
            - Select two players to remove by putting an X next to their names.
            - Limited to two players only but there is a 'Budget Boost (£)' option: this increases your available budget for your two new players. For instance, maybe you want to make an enabling transfer (downgrade 'keeper for example), you can add the money gained from this move to 'Budget Boost (£)' and see what else it buys you.
            - It won't select injured or suspended players.
            - It won't give suggestions that exceed the "three players from the same team" rule.

There are three transfer suggestion boxes, and they each work slightly differently:
            -- Favour Position 1: this chooses the best player for Position 1 (whatever that is for you: GK, DEF, MID, FWD) and then with the remaining budget, chooses the best player for Position 2.
            -- Favour Position 2: the same as above but selects the best player for Position 2 first, and then with the remaining budget, selects Position 1.
            -- Best Combination: this looks at every possible combination of the two Positions, and then gives the best option. This can take a while, especially with a Defender and a Midfielder when there are 38,233 options, so you can wait between 2 to 12 seconds for it to update. The longest wait is when you change positions - there aren't that many Forwards or Goalkeepers so this position change is fairly quick (~4 seconds) but for Defenders and Midfielders it can take up to 55 seconds (this only happens on the first load of a new position combination).

That's it! I hope it all makes sense 🙂

1. Gentle_Turks

I don't know what I (or my browser) am doing wrong with this, but once again i can't make a copy. The 'make a copy' option is greyed out. I made a screenshot, take a look:

1. TopMarx - H2H L4 D5

Which browser are you using?

1. Gentle_Turks

No probs - I've sorted it. Didn't realise that I had to have a Google account and be signed in #^_^#
                    Great work, as always. One thing though - I'd sometimes find it useful to be able to ask the picker to choose just one player. Any chance of that in future?

1. TopMarx - H2H L4 D5

Ah good! Glad it is resolved 🙂

Well for one player only I would just use the main sheet - it doesn't show all the upcoming fixtures but you can sort by the stat you are most interested in, and set a price limit to match your budget.

1. Gentle_Turks

Ok will try it. Thanks.

1. Ragabolly

Great great work as always!

1. TopMarx - H2H L4 D5

Thanks! Now, who do I get for Kane?...

1. Ragabolly

Use Player Picker 😛

1. TopMarx - H2H L4 D5

Which stat though.... Form or AI per 90... which one do you prefer RB? 🙂

1. Ragabolly

Form

1. TopMarx - H2H L4 D5

2. TopMarx - H2H L4 D5

Martial and Ings came out top of the form combo, but went for Martial and Rashford (the third best combo). Didn't facing Ings or Abraham. And Fernandes back makes a big difference for United. Fingers crossed!

1. Ragabolly

It's a promising combo, good luck!

1. TopMarx - H2H L4 D5

Thank you!

2. Ógie

Top man

3. Greyhead

Spreadsheet legend at work

11. Ógie

VVD just scored a hatrick in a sim game at home to Leicester City. 😯

1. Ógie

Salah blanked in that game btw with the score being 4-1.

TAA got 1 goal Robbo 2 assists and Vardy got the goal for Leicester assisted by Maddy.

12. ⱼₐᵣᵥᵢₛₕ

3 Liverpool home friendlies, 3 Salah blanks.....

1. Ragabolly

Keep an eye on attack involvement too, for me that's what friendlies are for

1. ⱼₐᵣᵥᵢₛₕ

Or to find out he can't hit a donkey's backside with a banjo. TC removed.

1. Wolves Ay We

I have reported you to the RSPCA for encouraging violence against an animal's posterior. 😀

1. ⱼₐᵣᵥᵢₛₕ

I thought I made sure those videos stayed private 🙁

2. Ógie

I have just used all 3 on Liverpool at home and along with the result above i also got Liverpool vs Spurs 4-1 with 2 goals from Salah 2 goals from TAA and assists coming from Robbo and Firmino.

The other game was against Watford which also finished 4-1 with Salah again with 2 goals Firmino 1 goal Minamino 1 goal Chamberlain 1 assist Hendo 1 assist TAA 2 assists Hughes 1 goal assted by Sarr.

I am tempted to captain TAA over Salah as he done well over the 3 sims.

13. dunas_dog

Who to captain from
            A TAA
            B Salah

1. Legomané

B for me, but Trent is more than a viable alternative.

2. Nomar

Mo.

14. Legomané

Captaincy choices ahead of this evening's deadline? Is anyone giving the Triple Captain chip a whirl?

Salah is back in my squad and has the armband.
            TC is tempting.

1. Nomar

Salah for me.

TC may be a decent shout.

15. Wolves Ay We

How ironic if a Computer Virus infects Ragabolly's computer and vFPL has to be suspended.

It'll be the greatest simulation in the history of simulations. 😀

1. Ragabolly

God I hope not 😀 The virus will have to infect the servers where the site is hosted, which are on Amazon cloud. The game is setup to work automatically on its own even if I cease to exist 😉

1. BNMC

If only real FPL is fully autonomous...
                  I doubt it is. It one took a few hours for an assist to be added to a goal.

2. el polako

Matrix we're living in is the greatest simulation of them all.
                Magnum opus of whoever is pulling these strings.

2. Gentle_Turks

vFPL
              Stuck on who to replace Kane with.

A. Abraham
              B. Jimenez (have Jota)

1. Nomar

Do you have Auba?

2. Hazz

Wait 1 week, and Aubameyang?

3. dunas_dog

Same here and will probably go Abraham

4. Gentle_Turks

Yes next week plan on Auba.

Maybe get him in already this week?

1. Nomar

This.

Or 1 week gamble on Firmino.

3. dunas_dog

No Aguero tonight then as he is racing live in E Grand Prix in Barcelona right now.......

1. Ógie

Nice set up by him as seen on his instagram.....

But with the money he has he could do a bit better with something like a curved widescreen as his main monitor flanked by two more monitors and maybe another one above for the total immersion effect.

I would be rocking something like this if i was in Sergio's position......

4. Hazz

vFPL

Start Targett (NEW, H) or Ward (LEI, H)

1. Gentle_Turks

Prob Targett.

2. dunas_dog

Targett

3. Hazz

Thanks. Ward has been a monster at home for me, but (as have Palace in general). Can see it going either way!

5. George James

TC salah tonight yes or no?

1. TorresMagic™

Think he will score 3 goals?

1. George James

Probably not. Is that what’s required for TC?

1. TorresMagic™

What about 2 goals?

2. dunas_dog

6. dunas_dog

Salah TC locked in!

1. Ógie

Same here, no going back now

Good luck 🙂