Scout Network

Benrahma, Barnes, Pogba: Who are the best mid-price midfielders for GW3?

With Fantasy Premier League (FPL) managers desperately trying to squeeze in as many premium assets into their teams as possible, like Mohamed Salah (£12.6m), Bruno Fernandes (£12.1m), Romelu Lukaku (£11.5m) and Son Heung-min (£10.0m), finding the right mid-price options will be key.

So, we asked the Scout Network for their view on the best mid-price midfielders to own.

FPL Nymfria

Vestergaard injury latest as Antonio and Benrahma haul again 2

In the opening two Gameweeks Said Benrahma (£6.2m) had five goal attempts and three shots in the box, which produced two goals and two assists. As a result, he has the attention of many FPL managers, and has already risen in price twice since the season started. Although there is a lot of talk about international duty right now, and Benrahma could be affected by this, he plays Crystal Palace and Southampton in the next two Gameweeks which strengthens his appeal.

Diego Jota (£7.6m) also continues to get my attention. With four shots in the box resulting in two goals in the last two Gameweeks he has started the season well. If he continues to get game time, I think he’ll be a top scorer this season.

Kingfut

Mason Greenwood (£7.6m) would be my first choice at this price point. The fact he can be utilised on the right or through the centre makes him a lot less rotation prone compared to the likes of Jota for the same price. With Marcus Rashford‘s (£9.4m) extensive layoff and Anthony Martial‘s (£7.9m) underwhelming performances, I don’t see the United starlet leaving my team anytime soon.

Raphinha (£6.5m) looks set to build on his debut season following his weekend strike at Elland Road. A proven asset in the league and one of the talismans of an exciting Leeds United team, who feels like an absolute bargain. However, I would keep an eye on the potential quarantine situation ahead of Gameweek 4 when he returns from international duty with Brazil.

FF Titans

FPL Gameweek 1: Pogba's assists, van Dijk's return and a start for £4.0m Tsimikas

Paul Pogba (£7.7m) has really impressed over his first two games for Manchester United and can be backed as a season keeper. Under Ole, he is nailed on to start and hardly miss any games when fit. Statistically, he ranks top of all midfielders in this price bracket in assists (five) and attempted assists (six). He also ranks highly in terms of shots taken and expected assists (xA). With favourable home games against Newcastle and Aston Villa coming up after the break, he is our number one pick.

Raphinha opened his account in Gameweek 2 and played a prominent role in Leeds’ draw against Everton. He also took the most shots among all the midfielders in this price range and plays in a very attacking role for Marcelo Bielsa’s side. He also takes corners and freekicks. At his current price range, he remains a good enabler, freeing up cash for very expensive (and ‘must have’) assets like Lukaku in weeks to come.

FPL Experiment Podcast

Seven-time top 10k finisher Zophar reviews the key statistics from Gameweek 1 1

One of the key aspects of this game is exploiting the fixtures. And again, we’re focusing on the opposition and this time targeting a leaky Norwich defence. Leicester have so far played a defensive Wolves side and struggled with only 10-men against a strong West Ham team. We’re expecting them to return to their expansive best against the Canaries and we’re bullish on Harvey Barnes (£7.0m) for this one. He was in great form in pre-season, he’s had a couple of games to pick up his match sharpness after his injury and this feels like a fixture where he can explode!

Greyhead

Mason Mount (£7.5m), yes it’s dull but there is nothing more reliable than Mount’s steady flow of points in a Chelsea side looking like one of the strong contenders to win the title. He plugged away with an assist and clean sheet in the first two games and is a relative certainty in the starting line up. He has a healthy shot count with six so far and he may be one to add to your team and set and forget for the season. Be dull and save yourself the headache.

Paul Pogba, La Pioche, has had storming start to the season and is my pick with five assists already to his name, a favourable run of matches and a swagger that suggests he is in the mood to continue that form. The stats also support the eye test with six chances created, six shots with five of those crucially in the box. Even though he has gone up in price to £7.7 million he still looks a bargain so invest before the Pog-Boom!

FPL Gents (Oscar)

Son injury update as Greenwood scores again and £4.0m defender Livramento impresses 4

My number one pick is Wolves’ Adama Traoré (£6.0m). He is extremely under the radar in just 1.2% of teams and seems to have generated very little buzz, despite the fact that he has had 10 shots in the first two games, generating a non-penalty xG of 1.1 which has only been bettered by Dominic Calvert-Lewin (£8.1m), Lukaku and Sadio Mané (£11.9m). This is despite facing two decent sides in Leicester and Spurs. Although United at home in Gameweek 3 is another tough test, Wolves’ fixtures turn for the better afterwards, not facing a side from last season’s top five until Gameweek 15.

FPL Froggies

All eyes are currently on Benrahma, and there is also the shadow of Jesse Lingard (£7.0m) on the London Stadium, but the eye test tells us that Jarrod Bowen (£6.5m) is also in great shape and that returns could be around the corner. He’s explosive, aggressive and can be selfish when needed, so we feel it will come soon.

We also like Wilfried Zaha (£7.0m). He has skills, experience, plays out-of-position, may be on penalties and is without a doubt the best player at Crystal Palace. At 7.0m, it might not be a bad idea to bet on Zaha, even if we are still unsure about Patrick Vieira’s style of play. It’s a high risk, high reward bet, but if you play FPL with an aggressive style, it’s the type of decision that could make a difference.”

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW FROM GAMEWEEK 2

FPL Gameweek 2 round-up: Sunday goals, assists, bonus and injuries 4

1. DonaldDrapier

Anyone interested in Brandon Williams, 4.0 defender from ManU who just now went on loan to Norwich?

-Norwich has better fixtures coming and would not be playing him yet anyway.
    -Attacking, isn't he?
    -Would he be nailed?
    -Norwich may not be as shite as they seem now. They have been playing with a crippled team against good opponents so far.

I am transfering Tsimikas for some 4.0 defender as I have 0 in the bank and not much else to do with banked trasfers.

1. tomasjj

I put him on my watchlist last night, possible replacement for Tsimikas.

2. Lallana

I prefer Livramento but one to monitor.

3. WhosYourCaptainPodcast

For 4m I think Livramento is maybe a better bet. I think he'll get more game time.
        But a 4m def is basically a backup, or a punt. So if you did go Williams, you can always stick him in on those odd occasions that you think he will play and that they have a chance of a clean sheet or him scoring.

If you could stretch the budget slightly then I think Duffy is the man to go for.

Tsimikas looks good, but I think his days are numbered with Robertson being fit. Cant see him playing against Chelsea.

4. tomasjj

Is Kane staying or moving?
      What is the sentiment lately?

1. Lallana

Tottenham probably will sign a few players like they did when they sold Bale before moving him on. Financial fairplay is a joke if City sign him for 120M though.

1. tomasjj

So, you reckon it is happening.
          Seems so to me as well, just Levy making sure he gets as much as possible for him.

It is quite a death blow for Spurs' ambitions though. Fallen quite a bit the last 2 years.

1. Lallana

I think they have been deflated after the Champion's League loss and need to move on.

Maybe some new talents a rebuild could make their fans more excited. They haven't won a trophy with the stars they had, so worth the risk.

In my eyes, Arsenal's rebuild isn't going as well. All their young talent will peak at the same time but they are paying crazy prices for their signings.

1. tomasjj

Maybe so, a rebuild is needed.

The Arsenal spending is puzzling, and I don't really mean the money, but who they are signing.

1. Lallana

Yeah I don't rate Ben White and Ramsdale

5. Lallana

Bottomed. Next week I am getting rid of Ings.

Would you pay around 3.5M for Lukaku over DCL?

I think it's best I upgrade Greenwood>Fernandes (C) and do Ings>DCL for a hit.

Then wait until GW7 to wildcard Lukaku in.

1. tomasjj

Lukaku not worth it, yet.
        Would wait until fixture turn.

I take it you have Antonio already?

1. Lallana

Yeah. I have a Bruno-less team but want him for Newcastle (H).

Done OK so far without him so tempted to maybe not get him for that fixture and captain someone else...

2. Steiger

Stick to the plan. Just get him in on WC.

6. OLLY G

I need to buy a defender.

I can afford Coufal but is it better to save 0.5m and get Ayling?

Thanks.

1. Lallana

Depends when you will wildcard and what you will do with the extra money.

I would get Coufal.

2. tomasjj

Defenders usually offer best value over a season, so the extra 0.5 is worth it to me.

7. Jordan.

so ive fired forrest gump as my manager after 2gwks and w/c for the first time in gw3
      outs

benrhama
      greenwood
      bissouma
      DCL
      lukaku
      antonio
      143 and 1.9m ranking is poor,pre season differentials torres,barnes and jiminez gone spectacularly wrong ,drastic action required my board has acted accordingly...

1. The Knights Template

Looks like you kept him on to type in your posts.

8. Jerse

One very basic issue the "experts" have been so slow to identify has been the rising Covid cases which has been very much an issue since pre GW1. Like our PM most have been asleep on the issue.

9. Chemical76

Positive consequence of Tottenham's involvement in Europa Conference League.

Second string will play all the early group games but premier league fixtures will always be on a Sunday following ECL game. So, Kane highly likely to get full weeks rest between games.

Thoughts?

10. Silecro

2 transfers done: Gundo, Toney > Benrahma, DCL. Good to go?

Sanchez
      TAA, Coufal, Ayling
      Salah, Bruno, Benny, Barnes
      DCL, Antonio, Ings

Steele, Tsimi, White, Brownhill

11. bso

Pogba or Greenwood?

12. Moto

First time playing, wanted to get some advice. Here's my team for this week:

Sanchez (Raya)
        TAA, Dias, Ayling (Tsimikas, Veltman)
        Soucek, Salah, Raphina, Bruno (Gilmour)
        Toney, DCL, Antonio (C)

I have 1FT and 1.0 in the bank.

A.) Sanchez over Raya?
        B.) Do I do Tsimikas to Livramento, or wait?
        C.) Soucek to Benrahma?
        D.) Nothing and roll the transfer.

Thanks for the help.

• Brad1807

Hey guys ,

Need some ideas for my team

Gk = lloris,foster

Def = Arnold, Shaw, challobah, tsikimas, Lotwon

Mid = salah , Bruno, Moura, benrahma, Dallas

Fwds = Antonio, richarlison, Dennis

I have £1.0 in the bank 1 free transfer. I kept 1 mil for future transfers etc.

My concerns are challobah , tskimas to keep one of or both etc
        I am new and any advice would be helpful for any of my team.