Scout Notes

Blades defence finally records clean sheet as Wilson blanks again

Sheffield United 1-0 Newcastle

• Goals: Billy Sharp (£5.5m)
  • Assists: None
  • Bonus points: Ethan Ampadu x3 (£4.3m), Aaron Ramsdale x2 (£4.7m), Sharp x1

Sheffield United finally showed some of the form of last season to record their first win over the season over a poor Newcastle side.

A penalty club legend Billy Sharp (£5.5m) controversially awarded by VAR was enough to give them the 1-0 win.

Free Hitters plumping for Newcastle assets like Karl Darlow (£5.0m) and Callum Wilson (£6.6m) in Blank Gameweek 18 will be fuming at the Magpies display, who were vulnerable at the back and toothless up front.

The performance was made even worse by Ryan Fraser (£5.6m) getting sent off in the first half for two bookable offences. But the Toon were poor even with 11 men on the pitch.

Owners of premium assets looking to target the Blades may also be having second thoughts after a much improved performance.

Battling Blades

Chris Wilder’s backline which was a staple of so many manager’s teams last year has been rightly avoided this season, conceding the third-highest amount of goals in the Premier League.

The Blades had been without a clean sheet all season, and conceded goals to some of the league’s weakest attacks.

Even their last four games where they played Crystal Palace, Burnley and Brighton yielded no clean sheet returns.

But, albeit it against a poor Newcastle team, their defence looked well organised and was barely troubled all game.

Chelsea loanee Ethan Ampadu (£4.3m) scooped the maximum bonus after a strong defensive display. He may even have picked up an assist had Oliver Burke’s (£4.3m) touch not deserted him when going through on goal.

Aaron Ramsdale (£4.7m), who has received a lot of stick since returning to the club from Bournemouth, looked assured between the sticks as he collected two bonus points.

And had Karl Darlow (£5.0m) not been at his best, then wing-back Jayden Bogle (4.3m) would also have added to his goal tally.

Chris Wilder praised his side for their battling display, while playing down any talk of a great escape.

Regardless of what people say about Newcastle, you look at their team and they’ve got some good players, they’ve got some fabulous players off the bench and they’re an established Premier League side and we’re not. They’re established Premier League players and our players aren’t and they’re fighting for their lives and I think you saw that tonight. You saw a team that was fighting for their lives that was brave enough to play as well in and out of possession, stuff was good.”

Chris Wilder

Ogle Bogle

With Sam Baldock (£5.0m) injured, Bogle looks to have nailed down the right wing-back berth at Sheffield United and has put in some eye-catching displays.

The former Derby man bombed down the right hand side and had two attempts in the box well saved by Darlow.

On Tuesday evening, only Anthony Martial (£8.8m) had a higer expected goals tally than Bogle, without scoring.

Add this to his goal and all-round attacking display at Brighton, Bogle could be worth considering once the Blades’ fixtures clear up.

Time up for Bruce?

Steve Bruce’s Newcastle have remained bottom of most stats tables throughout the season.

The Magpies managed to defy the stats and the eye test in the first half of the campaign, picking up some impressive results along the way.

But it appears that these performances are coming home to roost.

The loss to the Blades means no wins in six now for the Geordies, who are sliding worryingly towards a relegation battle.

Fans are now calling for manager Bruce’s head, after watching their side being outplayed by all the bottom three.

But a clearly dejected Bruce quickly confirmed he would not be resigning in the wake of this result.

“Look, you’re asking the wrong person about that. I’ll never, ever walk away from a challenge and I’ve been in it long enough to have that respect. But I understand that, especially watching the first half, we weren’t good enough and at the end of the day I take the responsibility because I pick the team.”

Steve Bruce

Wilsooooooooooooon

Newcastle’s star striker has now gone four games without delivering any FPL returns.

Take penalties out of the equation, and Wilson has not scored since Newcastle’s 2-0 win over Crystal Palace back in Gameweek 10.

Part of this is the fault of his teammates and their tactical set-up, with Wilson appearing lonelier than Tom Hanks’ ball for huge parts of the game.

With his side having so little possession, Wilson is often seen drifting back towards his own goal in search of the ball.

But the striker is also starting to miss big chances which he was gobbling up earlier in the season.

The Toon’s only big chance of the game fell to the hitman, who headed wide from close range.

With Wilson shy of goals and service, he no longer looks to be a viable FPL asset.

Newcastle United XI (5-4-1): Darlow; Yedlin (Murphy 84), Fernandez (Carroll 77), Schar, Clark, Dummett (Ritchie 74) Hendrick, Hayden, Longstaff, Fraser, Wilson

Sheffield United XI (3-5-2): Ramsdale; Bogle, Basham (Brewster 51), Ampadu, Egan, Osborn; Fleck, Lundstram, Norwood; McGoldrick (Jagielka 94), Burke (Sharp 59)

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.

1. mcsteely

A: Rashford > Salah
    B: Son > Salah
    C: Keep Rash & Son. Go without Salah

1. ⚔★Vibudh★⚔

2. Magic Zico

C

2. NateDogsCats
      14 days, 1 hour ago

Little unsure what to do here, would be very grateful for any advice / opinions:

A) In goal I have McCarthy (returning from covid and likely to have only 1 game v Leicester if he plays, and I think it's possible Forster may stick for a bit anyway) and Martinez (probably likely to only have 1 game and that's v City, also a possibility he's not even ready to return by then as also likely returning from covid). Should I move McCarthy to someone else (can go to Fab but if I do it'll be a second triple up which I'm reluctant to do) or hold out and play one and hope? If I move it'll be for -4

B) If Leeds V Soton is cancelled Alioski will have 1 game v Brighton so him or Holding v Newcastle?

C) Wanted to move Kane to Ings and then him to Vardy in a few weeks but with just the 1 game v Leicester likely for DGW, should I just go straight to Vardy (v Soton and Chelsea and decent fixtures afterwards?

1. JabariParkersEyelid
        14 days, 1 hour ago

A. Would just play McCarthy, it's not the end of the world, probably not worth a hit when you can permanently play Emi after.

B. Would play Holding personally, but only if the Saints game is confirmed off before deadline.

C. I think Vardy is a better choice for the double and the fixtures after, just go straight to him.

1. NateDogsCats
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Thanks! It's much appreciated, I'll hang on with the Vardy move to see if he drops tonight but yeah I'd say you're right that I should just go for it

2. ⚔★Vibudh★⚔
        14 days, 1 hour ago

From GW19 and beyond, which one do you prefer?
        A) Rashford+Son
        B) KDB+Grealish

Grealish can be benched for Rodrigo or Holding in 19 and I would captain KDB so I'm leaning towards B

1. mcsteely

Think you need to prioritise getting KDB for this week , so B

1. Mr.K
            14 days, 1 hour ago

I think precisely for this week Rashford + Son sounds better, but for a more long term solution I'd also go with B.

3. Trophé Mourinho
        14 days, 1 hour ago

Do people actually captain Kane? I rarely do, I cap Son, Bruno and Salah. It’s a bit hit and miss with Kane, he could be playing defensive mid for all you know. Yes he is on pens but still never really capping him, I cap Son vs teams where I think Spurs will be good on the counter. You can’t really predict Kane’s points like you can Sons

1. ⚔★Vibudh★⚔
          14 days, 1 hour ago

Agree,he hasn't score a brace in while I think

2. Dark Side Of The Loon!
          14 days, 1 hour ago

Captaincy can never be predicted. Who saw Salah's blanks vs NEW, WBA and SHU?

3. jomikijiq

I think I never captained Son over Kane when having both

4. RAFA THE GAFFA

Perma Captain would have got you 250 points. Not too shabby

5. NateDogsCats
            14 days, 1 hour ago

I only brought him in for the Leeds game but took out KDB for a week specifically to make that move and I still captained Son

• Flair
            14 days, 1 hour ago

I've captained Kane four times and recorded returns of 32, 12, 18 and 24 so I'm very happy that I do. Prefer him over Son for sure.

• Trophé Mourinho
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Hmm maybe you guys had more luck with him then me, I just don’t trust him so much with the arm band. I always used to, but not convinced this season. I know he has done well but still have concerns with him. I don’t cap Son too often btw

6. Jet5605
          14 days, 1 hour ago

Morning, Any thoughts on my BB19 team? No money ITB and Balbuena needs replacing. Any good 4.4 options?

McCarthy
          Robbo - Justin - Dallas - Stones - Balbuena
          Salah - Bruno - Son - Soucek - Rafinha
          Kane - Bamford - Adams

1. Jet5605

Johnstone is second GK

2. Yes Ndidi
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Robinson FUL has 2 home games in the DGW.
            I've got Lowton but his fixtures are horrible.

1. Jet5605
              14 days, 1 hour ago

Good shout - thanks. I thought of Lowton but agree horrible fixtures. I'd like to get Dawson at West Ham but am 0.1 short

7. Yes Ndidi
          14 days, 1 hour ago

I've kinda ended up with no MCI and a big DCL-sized problem to shift.
          Original plan was Son > KdB, DCL > Antonio/Watkins, but now priced out.
          Would you either
          A. Son > Sterling for free & carry DCL for a week
          B. Son, DCL > Sterling, Antonio -4
          C. Son, Robbo, DCL > KdB, Cancelo, 7.3 forward -8
          D. Something else?
          I'm loathed to get rid of Robbo before the double really.

Team is currently
          Meslier
          Robbo Justin Cresswell
          Bruno Son Soucek Salah
          Bamford Vardy DCL

McCarthy Klich KWP Lowton

Plan was to BB, but tempted just to TC now.
          Any thoughts gratefully received. Thank you.
          0.5 ITB.

8. umerlfc

Can this (-12) work out?

Son + Kane + March + Steer - >
          KDB(c) + Antonio + Maddison + Areola

1. Tonyawesome69
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Don't think so. Kane and son can haul against SHU.

9. Tonyawesome69

Looking for suggestions to still BB assuming no changes to DGW19 fixtures

A. Balbuena and Son to Shaw(4YC)/4.8def and Salah
          B. Other suggestions to remove SGW/Balbuena to DGW players

1FT 3.3itb
          Martinez
          Coufal Cancelo Stones Holding*
          Bruno KDB Soucek Son*
          Bamford Kane*
          (Johnstone Raphinha Rodrigo Balbuena*)

1. RAFA THE GAFFA

A! Get Salah

1. Tonyawesome69
              14 days, 1 hour ago

Thanks, any 4.8def suggestions?

1. wilson007

Dallas

1. Tonyawesome69

Already have triple Leeds - Raph, Rod and Bam

1. wilson007

KWP

1. Tonyawesome69
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Thanks, leaning towards Bednarek or Stephens due to BPS. Need to wait and see if they keep the 2 fixtures

2. Yes Ndidi
            14 days, 1 hour ago

A looks good. Shaw is as good as anyone, considering your team.

1. Tonyawesome69

My concern is the 4YCs

1. Yes Ndidi

I know.
                KWP?

1. Tonyawesome69
                  14 days, 1 hour ago

However, looks like Shrewsbury is back training so the Leeds Soton is likely to be postponed

10. RAFA THE GAFFA
          14 days, 1 hour ago

I currently have 13 DGW players with money Itb to move Son >> KDB. Looks like a -4 is then needed to sort DCL to have all 15. Would you BB this or not? Few flags to the Soton lads too.

McCarthy*(2)
          Robbo(2), Dias(2), Lowton(2)
          Salah(2), Bruno(2) Raphinha(2) Soucek(2), Son
          Bamford(2), DCL*
          (Johnstone(2), Adams*(2), Coufal(2), Dallas(2))

1. jomikijiq

Would definitely WC if Leeds - Soton is on

Debatable if not, but leaning yes as well

1. RAFA THE GAFFA

By WC do you mean BB? 🙂

1. jomikijiq

Sorry, yes

2. Stormbringer22
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Not sure Rafa. If I was in your position I would BB even though I am well aware that it is a risky thing to do. Leeds may drop down to a single fixture and so can Soton. I also don't think Son is the weak link in that team to justify the Son > KDB move

1. RAFA THE GAFFA

Who is the weak link?

1. Stormbringer22
                14 days, 1 hour ago

No obvious weak link that doesn't involve great re-structuring. Just don't fancy losing Son is my point

1. RAFA THE GAFFA
                  14 days, 1 hour ago

KDB has the double and Spurs dont. Spurs then play Liverpool and KDB has West Brom in 20. Seems a logical move to me. Can always get him back

3. Tonyawesome69
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Based on current info then yes I would BB. If sou lose the leeds game then I'm not sure I would BB. Leeds have a better game against Brighton so I'm still considering to BB.

1. RAFA THE GAFFA
              14 days, 1 hour ago

Cheers. Will we get an update on Leeds-Soton before the deadline?

1. Tonyawesome69
                14 days, 1 hour ago

Shewsbury back training, looking likely the Leeds-Soton will be postponed

4. JabariParkersEyelid
            14 days, 1 hour ago

I would, just to get it out the way.

11. bored by december

Holding - Stones - KWP - Cresswell - Dias
          Bruno - Mo - KDB - Son - Soucek
          DCL - Bam Bam - Brewster

0.4 itb, 1FT

Thinking of Son and DCL to Rash and Anotnio

Only issue is this would leave me triple WHU - great fixtures coming up but feels risky

Would be bringing Son back for Rash in GW21

Thoughts?

12. Bielsa Murderball
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Guys, who are you triple captaining?

• Inazuma X1

Tough cap decision next GW

1. Stormbringer22
              14 days, 1 hour ago

Indeed. Not sure about TC now either.

• Stormbringer22
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Morning chaps! All early days of course and will not be doing any transfers until closer to the deadline but early thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Martinez (Button)
            Chilwell - Dallas - Coufal (Taylor* - Ferguson*)
            Salah - Bruno - Son - Grealish - Soucek
            Vardy - Bamford (DCL*)
            1FT, £1.0itb

A. DCL + Grealish + Chilwell > KDB(C) + Cancelo + Davis -8, exact funds
            B. Taylor > Stones, bench Dallas or Coufal and hope KDB doesn't haul

Don't like either option tbh

• wilson007

A) Salah, Son, Brewster
            B) Salah, Rashford, Brewster
            C) Son, Rashford, Antonio

All three play, as planning to BB.

Thanks!

1. Boom XhakaLacaSaka

• Cancelo Culture
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Antonio still a viable option for the double? I see he made it through 90 mins unscathed in the cup but how did he look?

1. Bubz

I’ll be doing DCL to him I think

14 days, 1 hour ago

I'm wary but I think I might do it purely because West Ham just don't have anyone else they can play and at least he got through 90.

• Boom XhakaLacaSaka
            14 days, 1 hour ago

Would it be stupid taking a -8 to field a good BB for DGW?

1. jomikijiq

not at all

2. trafalgarlaw
              14 days, 1 hour ago

same as me and ill do that

3. NateDogsCats
                14 days, 1 hour ago

Lot of people here think so but depending on who exactly you're bringing in and their ceiling I think it's definitely viable

4. KAPTAIN KANE
              14 days, 1 hour ago

Son to Salah & DCL to Brewster leaves me with this for the DGW for a -4, just Kane without a double in the XI.

I know it’s early but any other moves you’d make for further hits?

McCarthy
              Cancelo | Stones | Dallas
              Salah | KdB | Bruno | Grealish | Soucek
              Kane | Bamford

Steer | Lowton | Brewster | Mitchell

0.3ITB

Thanks

1. Stormbringer22
                14 days, 1 hour ago

I wish I had your team. Looking great, no further hits needed

1. KAPTAIN KANE

Thanks, how you looking?

1. Stormbringer22
                    14 days, 1 hour ago

Not great mate, not great. I will probably have to take a -8 to do DCL + Chilwell + Grealish > KDB + Cancelo + 4.3 to get some City cover. Not sure about it though.

1. KAPTAIN KANE
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Yeah would want to keep Chilwell at least, would just prioritise KdB

No chips right?

Gotta hope now that Villa and Leeds keep their DGWs. Otherwise this team suddenly doesn't look so nice.

1. KAPTAIN KANE
                  14 days, 1 hour ago

Might use TC, yeah and just read the Leeds one is in doubt...grrr

5. No Kane, No Gain!
              14 days, 1 hour ago

GW19, Double Gameweek....thoughts on this team please with activating my Bench Boost:

Martinez, Messlier
              Dias, Cancelo, Zouma, Bednarek, Dallas
              Bruno, Salah, Son, Soucek, Gundogen
              Vardy, Bamford, Abraham

All playing twice except Son

1. JabariParkersEyelid
                14 days, 1 hour ago

Think it's pretty unlikely Tammy is playing twice.

6. Bubz
              14 days, 1 hour ago

What’s that site which tells you all your captain stats, like % of total score etc?

1. Hot Toddy

Anewpla

1. Bubz

Thats the one, cheers

7. Westfield Irons ⭐️

DGW19 LEE V SOU - Shrewsbury COVID situation
              I'm clinging on to the hope that LEE V SOU is not postponed and Southampton play Shrewsbury in the FA Cup instead.
              Shrewsbury Town released a statement on 11th January, they had more players testing positive and now their League One match v Lincoln on Saturday is postponed. This is 4 days before the potential rearranged FA Cup match which would see LEE V SOU removed from DGW19.
              This gives me a glimmer of hope, that they won't be able to play on Wednesday also. Is there any other news to support this?
              (Caveat all this by saying I hope those with COVID at Shrewsbury are all OK and the club finds a way to be compensated or play the match in the future)

1. NateDogsCats
                  14 days, 1 hour ago

Read on Twitter similarly their training ground won't reopen until Sunday at earliest too and they have to retest the first positive batch AFAIK

1. NateDogsCats
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Heh looking below looks like that twitter rumour was wrong

2. PlumaPiedra
                    14 days, 1 hour ago

They were back to training today in preparation for expected game against Saints so I think the Leeds game i basically gone now.

• JohannaAdams10
                  14 days, 1 hour ago

If you wildcard, can you make unlimited transfers up to deadline (like in free hit) or are you stuck with your team?

1. Hot Toddy

Unlimited until deadline.

2. wilson007

Unlimited

• Flair
                  14 days, 1 hour ago

Looks like Southampton vs Leeds will not go through for DGW19.

#SHREWS BACK TO TRAINING: #Shrewsbury Town aim at Friday restart after club's lockdown period. Chief exec Brian Caldwell: "it's been a really challenging time."
                  Sat's game v Lincoln already off, hoping for go-ahead to play Southampton FA Cup tie next week #Salop
                  @BBCShropshire

1. RAFA THE GAFFA
                    14 days, 1 hour ago

Ouch! The season that keeps on giving

2. Flair
                    14 days, 1 hour ago

I'm not sure why I copied these inane hashtags.

3. Bubz
                    14 days, 1 hour ago

Incresibly annoying with triple Leeds.

1. Flair

Makes me significantly more inclined to FH19 personally

1. Flynny

I'm still looking to bb the 3 Leeds boys v Brighton

They are nailed. Good luck to anyone who thinks they will be able to arrange a 15 player dgw bb team later in the season

1. Milkman Bruno
                            14 days, 1 hour ago

Meh I’ll take my chances with that one. Still think there will be better opportunities.

• PlumaPiedra
                            14 days, 1 hour ago

Same or if I can move Harrison to another 5.4m with a double I will do but can't see anyone I like. Soucek would be the only one but I'm already triple West Ham.

2. tisza

same.
                        WC in GW16. Simple plan to maximize 16 & 17 then swap players for BB in DGW burnt with postponements. Now this situation with Leeds potentially losing their 2nd fixture even though 1st game is potentially a big FPL scoring game.
                        Need a close look at Brighton tonight to see what the best way forward is.

2. Milkman Bruno

Planning meet window

3. trafalgarlaw
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Any news from Reece James ?

4. Flair
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Ancelotti believes Richarlison will be ready to start this weekend following a knock which restricted the Brazilian to a 14-minute cameo at Molineux. And on whether Calvert-Lewin will recover from a hamstring strain. "I don't think so." - Dinnery

Useful for the people who still somehow have DCL

1. Jellyfish
                        14 days, 1 hour ago

Thanks for the update. I’m one of those that still have DCL, as I’m still not sold on who to replace him with

1. Flair
                          14 days, 1 hour ago

I like Antonio as a punt

1. Jellyfish
                            14 days, 1 hour ago

Great option if he’s fit

5. Jellyfish
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

C Taylor > Dawson for the DGW?

(Can’t afford Coufal)

6. Jet5605
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Any thoughts on my BB19 team? 1 FT with no money ITB and Balbuena needs replacing.

A - Balbuena > Robinson
                      B - Balbuena & Adams > Shaw & 5.6 striker

McCarthy - Johnstone
                      Robbo - Justin - Dallas - Stones - Balbuena
                      Salah - Bruno - Son - Soucek - Raphinha
                      Kane - Bamford - Adams

1. Yes Ndidi
                        14 days, 56 mins ago

B but Dawson & Bobby Reid.
                        I know it's Fulham again, but they play twice from what I can see & you get your WHU defender again.

1. Jet5605
                          14 days, 52 mins ago

I think it makes sense. Although two home games they are against CHE and MANU and so Dawson will probably outscore Robinson and I'm not losing sleep about downgrading Adams.

7. Jet5605
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Any update on McCarthy and Adams for Southampton?

8. Street Friend
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Would you bench boost or not? Also which option? If Leeds Southampton moved would you still bench boost? 1FT 3.4ITB

Current team
                      McCarthty Forster
                      Dier Zouma Dias coufal targett
                      Son Bruno salah soucek Burke
                      Bamford Vardy Adams

Option A. Bench boost and -4 (13DGW 2SGW)
                      Forster to Fabianski
                      Burke to Harrison

Option B (10DGW)
                      Son to KDB
                      Bench targett Burke Adams

Option C -4 (11DGW)
                      son to KDB
                      Targett to stones
                      Bench Dier Burke Adams

9. fish&chips
                      14 days, 1 hour ago

Egan, kane, brewster -> antonio, vardy, chilwell (-8)

Good move?