Community

Eliteserien – Mid priced picks

Eliteserien Fantasy is back! It’s always a tediously long wait from the end of the season in December to the Eliteserien’s resumption in April but the elongated pre-season allows us a good look at all 16 teams & their potential star players for the upcoming season.

So, first things first, who am I and what right do I have to tell you all about the quirks of the Norwegian Eliteserien this season?

My name’s Ben Wells and I’ve been following Norwegian football for 5 years now as a part of my day to day job working for football analytics firm Football Radar. I also co-host & produce the Reverse Nisselue podcast with my colleague Ben Killick, who will also be contributing here, where we speak about all of Norwegian football’s talking points each week. We get some awesome guests on the show, including one of the darlings of the 2019 Eliteserien Fantasy season, former Viking midfielder Kristian Thorstvedt.

Anyway, back to business! As a part of my role at Football Radar I watch every single Eliteserien game. This includes all of the pre-season friendlies that are currently happening as teams prepare for the 2020 season. From a fantasy perspective, it’s great to watch these games as it gives you a good idea of players who could potentially be undervalued or ones who could be due a breakout season.

In this article, I’ll go over a few ‘mid-range’ priced picks who have stood out to me in pre-season already and give you my analysis of whether they could be worth selecting in your Eliteserien Fantasy team. It’s worth bearing in mind as we dive in that many prices have been somewhat inflated in the 2020 edition of the Eliteserien Fantasy, due to a lack of top tier players being signed into the league.

Jens Petter Hauge, Bodø/Glimt (7.5, MID)

• Likely starter for Bodø/Glimt this season
  • A key cog in one of the most fluent attacking units in Norway
  • A chance of being the side’s penalty taker this season

Hauge has been one of my favourite young Norwegian players for a long while now (any search of my old tweets will yield a shedload of praise…) and whilst he has not been a regular for Glimt since their stint in the OBOS Ligaen in 2017, when Hauge registered 13 assists in 28 games, he has a chance now to become a key player for the side this season.

Håkon Evjen, now of AZ Alkmaar, was one of the most popular picks in the game last season and Hauge is the man earmarked to take Evjen’s role in the Glimt XI this season. The two are fairly similar in their styles of play, Hauge likes to play out wide in a 4-3-3 either on the left or the right-hand side dependent on whether he is playing as an inside forward or more of a natural winger.

A quick look at Hauge’s average positions last season for Glimt will show that he has lots more touches inside the box than an average winger, as he likes to play as an ‘inside forward’ often cutting inside defenders to get a shot away or a late cut back to one of Glimt’s strikers in the middle. This means that his potential G/A output in 2020 could be large, if he plays all 30 games as expected.

7.5 as a price is a little steep for a player who was not a regular last season, but the prices in this year’s game have been inflated this season due to a lack of top transfer business from clubs this Winter. I personally believe Hauge will easily repay this slightly inflated fee, there have been a number of foreign clubs following his progress of late and 2020 could be the season that Hauge finally lives up to his enormous potential.

Benjamin Kallmann, FK Haugesund (7.0, ATT)

• With usual number 1 forward Ibrahima Wadji suspended until July, Kallman is a sure starter.
  • 3 goals & 1 assist for Viking last season (11 league games, 9 starts)
  • Improved every week after joining Viking in the Summer, due a BIG season

As previously mentioned, the market for strikers in Eliteserien Fantasy this season is hugely inflated at present. Players such as Veton Berisha (9.0), Mos Abdellaoue (7.5) & Erik Botheim (7.0) have all had their prices jacked up significantly despite failing to impress or even play that much in 2019.

At 7.0, I think Benjamin Kallman of FK Haugesund is huge value for money in the current market. His stats on paper for Viking last season are not too impressive, but he took a little while to adapt to their style of play having joined mid-season and ended up turning in a number of impressive performances towards the end of the season.

Kallmann is still a young player, a full Finnish international, and is due a big breakout season. With confidence placed in him already by the Haugesund management (named as their number one striker), I think that 2020 could be the season we finally see him start to cash in on some goals. Kallmann often gets in brilliant goalscoring positions, but his finishing has let him down in the past.

It would not surprise me if Kallman scored between 10-15 in the league this season, which would make him great value at just 7.0. Currently selected by just 2.3% of fantasy managers, I feel that Kallmann could quickly become a popular value pick upfront.

Christian Borchgrevink, Valerenga IF (5.0, DEF)

• Young RB who will be first choice for Valerenga this season
  • Has previously been on the fringes, but new manager Fagermo rates him highly
  • Good attacking output and due to Valerenga’s style of play, will be relied upon heavily for balls into the box.

Borchgrevink is a Norwegian U21 international who has been earmarked for success at Valerenga for a few years now. Despite a couple of average loan spells with Ham-Kam and Notodden in the OBOS Ligaen, Borchgrevink is now Valerenga’s first choice RB ahead of the experienced Amin Nouri and is sure to make an impression in the 2020 Eliteserien.

Borchgrevink is naturally an attacking, modern full-back who is often relied upon for his good delivery into the box from out wide. He also has a goal in him, as evidenced by his long-range stunner vs. Rosenborg last season (2:13 on the video).

There are a lot of good value defenders in the Eliteserien this season, at just 5.0, Borchgrevink is high on the list for me. Whilst Valerenga’s defence may not be relied upon for regular clean sheets, Borchgrevink is the kind of player who can easily make up for this with good offensive performances. At the time of writing, he has been selected by just 2.9% of players, which is sure to rise quickly!

Looking Forward…

There is still just under a month to go until the Eliteserien season kicks off. March is always an important month in the calendar for Eliteserien sides as they start to tease their favoured starting XI in this month’s training matches, so make sure to keep an eye on that.

It’s also worth looking out for new signings on the horizon. Brann are close to confirming a huge loan move for Schalke goalkeeper Ralf Fährmann who could easily go in as the highest priced goalkeeper in the game this season & more clubs are likely to make late moves in the market.

More to come

Myself & my co-host Ben Killick will continue to write here with regular updates on the Eliteserien and Eliteserien Fantasy, as well as speaking about Eliteserien Fantasy in a segment every week on our Podcast, in collaboration with Fantasy Football Scout. Tune in every week!

Discussion about the weekly Podcast will happen right here on Fantasy Football Scout, in the latest Eliteserien article.

Be sure to bookmark the new Eliteserien homepage, where all non-Eliteserien content is excluded.

frfotballben Norwegian Eliteserien analyst for Football Radar. Co-Host & producer of the Reverse Nisselue Podcast”

1. Rotation's Alter Ego

Big thanks to Ben and the Reverse Nisselue podcast for this - looking forward to the articles this season!

Highly recommend giving them a listen, love that we're seeing some serious growth for Eliteserien fantasy! 🙂

2. Eliteserien - RMTs and questions
    frfotballben

Thanks for having a read guys (if you have got down this far!) I'll be here to answer any questions you may have about Eliteserien Fantasy or just the Eliteserien in general, all day today & at other stages this week too.

We will be producing articles for FF Scout throughout the season. I'll be tweeting from @FRFotballBen & @ReverseNisselue throughout the season also, for all of your Fantasy related queries!

Following on from the article, which of the players mentioned are you thinking of selecting? Who would you add to the list of good mid-priced picks?

1. Geoff

Great picks in there!

What about Sandberg from Haugesund?

Do you think Molde's Haugen is worth it?

1. frfotballben

Sandberg from FKH was actually in my original XI! A player I rate very highly & is always at the centre of Haugesund's attacking play. Takes pens & FK's so definitely one to consider, only out of my XI for the moment as he's injured & a doubt for the first day of the season.

Haugen definitely a great pick, guaranteed points. Very pricey though & with other prices being jacked up this season I think there's better value elsewhere in defence e.g Thomassen of Sarpsborg (5.5)

1. Mullered in Maenam

It would be great if you could also share some thoughts on Aalesunds at some time, they clearly had a great promotion season. Castro has been mentioned a number of times in various forums but I'd like to know more about the forward Agdestein (6.5m) and the defender Gretarsson (5.0m).

Can the former get enough goals in Eliteserien to justify inclusion at his price and can they keep a reasonable number of clean sheets, particularly at home. They also have quite a few 4.5m defenders who could be good value playing 5th defenders.

Many thanks.

1. Geoff

I've got Castro in my side right now

2. Mullered in Maenam

Great article many thanks and plenty of food for thought.

I do like the look of Zinckernagel of BG, his price of 8.0m seems a tad high but I'll now take another look at Hauge, much appreciated.

1. Geoff

Yeah I like him too. What are your thoughts on Zinck, Ben?

1. frfotballben

Yeah, fan of him. Seems to be over his previous injury issues now & will be important for Glimt this year alongside Hauge. Preference is for Hauge personally, can see the two having similar outputs this year so the 0.5 gap in price just sways me towards Hauge.

2. Mullered in Maenam

Hi Geoff, I'm sitting with this at the moment, I'm keen on a playing bench as I got caught out quite a few times last season with no bench.

Austbo (5.5) Storevik (4.5)

Haraldseid (6.0) Bjorkan (6.0) Borchgrevink (5.0) D, Ulvestad (4.5) Jansen (4.5)

Eikram (12.5) Castro (8.5) Zinckernagel (8.0) Hauge (7.5) Stengel (5.0)

Berisha (9.0) Kallman (7.0) Agddestein (6.5)

0.0 ITB

Cheers

Johnny

1. Geoff

Similar to mine! Though mine is very much a work in progress and isn't actually a confirmed team at this point.

I think I want James up front

1. Mullered in Maenam

I can see why but I just about prefer Eikram and don't want both as I'd only captain one and I'd prefer to spread the funds around to start with. I've got 2 Molde and will wait a few weeks to see who else from Molde looks good to bring in.

3. jamesc415

Great article and I'm looking forward to a first season of Eliteserien Fantasy to fill my summer fantasy needs! Would appreciate your thoughts on a couple I have pulled in on my draft. Looking for some cheap enablers. Haugen (VIK), Kassi (STB) and Bojang (S08)? Thanks again!

1. frfotballben

Thanks mate!

Haugen of VIK is an interesting pick, heard a lot of great things about him from Viking fans & there's a chance he could eventually challenge for a spot in the XI but for now will remain a backup/second team player.

Kassi could be an underrated pick, scored 4 & assisted 2 last year but will play a more important attacking role for Stabaek this season. Bojang of Sarpsborg is a great value pick, cheap & has a big chance of starting in a side who play 3-4-3 with attacking wingbacks (Bojang & Thomassen)

• Tom the Sloth

Hey man,

good to see that you are covering Eliteserien at FFS this year as well ^^

I made this spreadsheet over the preseason friendlies. Perhaps it might be helpful to someone out there. Feel free to dive in, and please let me know if you have information about the friendlies that are lacking.

As to the answer of your question, JP Hauge seems to be the most important mid-price asset atm. Others include Morten Ågnes Konradsen at Bodø/Glimt (5.5), Zymer Bytyqi at Viking (6.5) and Jørgen Strand-Larsen at Sarpsborg 08 (7.5), who all are quite guaranteed to stay in my team until GW1 ^^

1. frfotballben

This is really cool! If you're on Twitter feel free to tag me into any tweet you do with the spreadsheet & I'd be happy to share it!

Some interesting picks there, Konradsen could be a very nice addition (a shame they listed him as a defender, which is where he will play, but hasn't played there in previous seasons)

Strand-Larsen is due a breakout season, I hope 2020 is his year!

1. Tom the Sloth

Will post it on twitter one of the upcoming days, I reckon. Will do my best to remember to tag you.

Konradsen still makes those marauding runs up towards the opponents' goal, and I think he has 2 or 3 attacking returns in pre-season so far. Looking forward to the season starting, as my FPL season has gone awry ^^

• TLF

Assuming it all goes ahead, I'm looking to play my first season of Eliteserien Fantasy. Thanks for the article, very insightful. I'm just wondering how I can watch any of the matches/highlights here in England & which channels provide coverage in Norway ? Thanks.

• Drillos Beste

Hi! Thanks and takk for covering this league once again. I'm kind of a noob so was wondering if you'd be interested in rating this team:

Deumeland/McDermott (for rotation)

Haraldseid/Stølås/Solheim/Bojang

Castro/Hauge/Zachariassen/Ibrahimaj (Ulvestad)

Strand Larsen/Källman/Leke

Q1: is there a decent 4.5 mid in the game this year?

Q2: Can we expect Ibrahimaj to still be good?

Q3: Zachariassen, too much of a punt or what? Scored the other day at least.

• FPL Sergeant

Any playing 4.0 GKs or Defs?

1. frfotballben

Afraid the short answer here is no. Sivertsen of Kristiansund (4.0) might get some playing time but only as a rotation option, not a guaranteed starter. Daland (4.0) of Start has played a lot in pre-season but again not expected to be in their best XI.

1. Geoff

In a way, no 4.0m options is good for the game because it means our 4.5m picks have to be even better

• FPL Sergeant

Cheers for that. I didnt think so, but didnt want to miss anyone.

• Coys96

Any experts out there willing to RMT? 😉 2nd season, hoping to beat my OR of 691

Makani
        Stolas ~ Solheim ~ Hatlehol
        Eikrem ~ Castro ~ Hauge ~ Ibrahimaj ~ Kassi
        James ~ Kallman

4.0 ~ Bojang ~ Tonneson ~ Ruud Tveter

1. frfotballben

I'd definitely swap Makani out for someone else if possible! I have a feeling Mjondalen could leak a lot of goals this year...

Otherwise, looks very solid! Solheim & Hatlehol two very good picks and you've got a strong midfield and bench there.

1. Coys96

Great thanks! Who would you say I should have as a 4.5 keeper instead then?

I like the idea of having 4.5 - 4.0 combination to start with.

Thought Makani would make a lot of saves being Iran's national GK

1. Tomas Pieters

Could look at Start, both keepers at 4.5 Deumeland was the starter last year when they got promoted keeping 11 clean sheets in 28 appearances. However, they have bought Wichne from Viking so not sure who will get the nod between the sticks to start (pardon the pun).

2. Coys96

Great article btw 🙂

I have a few more questions:
          1. Best Viking attacking asset?
          2. Is Kachi a good choice in midfield?
          3. Is Mehnert nailed for Brann?

Many thanks!

1. frfotballben

I'll reply to your Makani Q. here also!

But yeah, Makani is a good GK, but can be erratic and I just worry about the potential lack of clean sheets. If I were to pick a 4.5 GK then Deumeland of Start would be my choice. Always a risk with newly promoted sides but he is an excellent GK at this level.

1. de Lanlay (7.5) when fit or Ibrahimaj (7.0) would be my suggestions for Viking attackers, both likely to play key roles for them this season.
            2. Kachi could be a great shout, though 7.0 is a high price for a player who hasn't previously impressed in Eliteserien. Set to start most games though.
            3. Mehnert will be a backup, Brann play 4-3-3 with Bamba (9.0) as their main ATT player

1. Coys96

Brilliant thanks!

I saw Mehnert started on the wing in one of the pre season games, thats why I asked. 🙂

1. frfotballben

Yeah, I don't think he's a natural out wide & Brann have a number of wingers this season so I am assuming he will just be a bench option. A good player though, so you never know!

3. Rony1993

This is my 1st season playing Eliteserien.
          Can anyone please RMT?

Gk - Deumeland
          Def - Stolas, Hatlehol, Thomassen
          Mid - Eikrem, Castro, Hauge, Bohinen, Hoff
          Fwd - James, Kallman

Bench - 4.0 Gk, Bergan, Jansen, Ostensen..

1. frfotballben

GK - Good budget pick
            DEF - Looks very strong
            MID - Bohinen & Hoff might not be the biggest point getters due to their roles in their respective teams so might be worth having a look elsewhere. Maybe Lindseth of Sarpsborg (6.0) or Normann Hansen (6.0) of Sandefjord if you want guys likely to contribute with G/A's across the season?
            ATT - Solid

1. Rony1993

Thanks for all your help.

2. Tom the Sloth

Actually, Wichne have played 90 mins in 3 of the last 4 friendlies, so I kinda get the feeling that Deumeland is not safe.

Same with Aalesund and Sandefjord, their 4.5 goalies are rotated a lot in pre-season.

Makani at Mjøndalen seem to be a first-choice goalie atm, for 4.5m. Started the last two, and just arrived at the club under a month ago.

Myhra at Strømsgodset also seems a safe bet, so far.

4. Not Eliteserien

1. FPL Pillars

Wrong forum

1. Geoff

Feel free to flag anything in here that isn't Eliteserien!

In the comments write 'not Eliteserien' and a mod will remove it 🙂

5. FPL Pillars

I’ve played all seasons but no idea in pre season who is good to own. Anyone spoon feed me some tips hehe

1. Tom the Sloth

Check my pre-season friendly spreadsheet for info on who have played the most, and scored/assisted

1. Badluck Jonathan

This is gold. Thanks

1. Tom the Sloth

Anytime!

And loving your name ^^

6. FPL Pillars

Right so got this draft ATM. How is it for experts out there? 🙂

Duemeland

Stolas Thomassen Bjornbak

Castro Zinckernagel Brochman ZACHARIASSEN

James Larsen Kallman

Wichne/ Tchamba Bojang Berg

1. Tom the Sloth

Dunno about "expert", but can give it a go.

Start was not the best defensive team in the second tier last year. So I kinda doubt they will keep many CS, no matter how tempting the cheapie 4.5 * 2 goalie solution is ^^

Other than that, a solid defense, and quite standard attacking options, who all should play regularly, unless more transfers are unveiled who challenge their spots. Kallman and Bojang probably the ones who might be rotated, but they should be good enough to start the season. Just keep an eye on them ^^

4.5 defensive midfielder Berg seems safe as a mid sub ^^

7. Just-In-Cider

How she look? 1.0ITB

McDermott
          Tonnesen Stølås Haugen Bojang
          Castro zinc Eikrem Ibrahimaj
          James Strand Larsen

Granlund Gibson Berg Silversten

1. Tom the Sloth

Money itb is good for flexi. Eliteserien is more unpredictable than PL, so they might come in handy.

So far, both McDermott and Granlund have been rotated in pre-season. Friendlies closer to first GW will tell which goalies are safest.

Stølås, Haugen, the four mids and the two strikers look solid.

Tønnesen and Bojang might be less likely to keep CS, as their teams are predicted for bottom half.

Not sure who Silversten is, but rest of bench is fair enough ^^

1. frfotballben

McDermott is nailed on first choice for KBK I can assure you 🙂

Bojang a risk from the start I agree, but i guess that's the sacrifice you may have to make to fit both Wolff & Leke in from Molde!

1. Tom the Sloth

Last season I had McDermott in my team towards the end, and suddenly that Mbaye dude started I think 3 out of the last 4 games.

Dunno what the plan there is long term, but McDermott might be due for a new transfer abroad in the summer. What do you reckon, Ben?

2. Just-In-Cider

Cheers for the input guys, team not totally set in stone yet

8. frfotballben

Who do we all think will be an underrated pick in ESNFantasy this season??

1. Tom the Sloth

What does "underrated pick" mean? Are we talking someone who is priced low, but will turn out in every team throughout the season, kinda like Evjen last year?

If so, perhaps my guess would be Brustad at Mjøndalen (6.5), if he nails down the striker spot. OoP midfielder at lower mid-price is a must have ^^

9. Team Cruel

League postponed until 2nd May

10. Eliteserien postponed
          frfotballben

*** BREAKING NEWS ***

The Eliteserien has been postponed for a month due to COVID-19.

- No training matches from 13th March until 15th April
          - All football activity in Norway halted until 15th April
          - Official matches now scheduled to resume from the first weekend of May (2nd May)

1. FPL Pillars

More time to tinker!

11. Bocaginge

I’ve got a bit of time on my hands so thought I’d have a tinker. Anyone able to give a bit of feedback on this team:

Kongshavn
          Hovland / Bjornbak / Solheim / Acosta
          Wolff / Sanberg / Helland / Bohinen
          Islamovic / Kallman

Vieira / ze Eduardo / Pedersen / Bojang

1. Bocaginge

0.5m ITB

2. Pedersen

I like Pedersen om your team xD

12. Tom the Sloth

The mega large Eliteserien Fantasy pre-season spreadsheet has been updated!

Added new players with prices, managed to get some more info on games from Sarpsborg 08, fixed a couple of typos, and best of all a new column for all teams with total minutes, total goals and total assists for all friendlies up till the enforced Corona break.

I hope this will prevent boredom now that we are stuck at home more than ever before.

More additions will come soon. Working on both a set pieces spreadsheet, as well as info on out of position players, chances missed and chances created. Will get back to you on that.

Meanwhile, take care of yourself and stay safe!

1. Bocaginge

Great stats and thanks for sharing

13. Bocaginge

Had a bit of shift over the last few days. Tweaked team below:

Kongshavn
          Grogaard / Bjornbak / Tiedemann
          Wolff / Castro / Helland / Taylor / Tryggvason
          Islamovic / Kallman

Vieira / Gibson / Bojang / Breivik

Ideally I’d like to upgrade Breivik to Coly or another playing defender. Be great to get some advice if anyone out there

14. Men in green tights

Any chance someone can rmt this lot for me
          McDermott
          Stole,psyche,gretarsson,bojang
          Donnum,wolf oak,bohinen,castro
          Borven,boniface
          Subs Kongshoven,Jansen,berg,Alex Rudd tveter
          Many thanks

15. MTPockets

"Latest Game News

Fantasy deadlines are postponed to the ending of May and fixtures list are to be updated. The original deadlines are showing still until we are able to publish revised fixtures. You can freely make changes to your team until the first deadline, which temporarily is set to 23rd of may, 17:00."

16. MTPockets