Captain Sensible

Who are the best FPL captain options for Gameweek 38+?

Fantasy Premier League managers are faced with a wealth of viable choices for the captaincy on the final day of the 2019/20 season.

With so much riding on the Gameweek 38+ fixtures, knowing that any number of armband candidates stand a chance of exploding may take the pressure off the decision and allow more focus on the ownership of each asset.

To help you pick the best captain for your team, the Captain Sensible article is back for one last hurrah, analysing the statistical form of players over their last four matches and comparing them with the defences they are about to face.

As this uses data from the Fantasy Football Scout Members Area, only those with a valid subscription can access it in full.

Captain Poll

Raheem Sterling (£12.0m) is the clear winner of the captain poll for Gameweek 38+ pulling in the support of 35.6% in the final vote of the season.

There is very little surprise about the Manchester City midfielder topping the charts here, considering he has five double-figure hauls since the Premier League returned and recently claimed penalty-taking duties from Kevin De Bruyne (£10.6m), who is backed by just 6.6% of our readers.

David Silva (£7.5m) is also set to play a part in the captaincy conversation after 13% of our voters deemed him the best option for the final Gameweek of the season. It also happens to be the Spaniard’s last Premier League game for Manchester City, suggesting he could go out with a bang. That seems likely when we consider he has averaged 10.5 points per appearance at home during Project Restart.

De Bruyne and Foden unlucky as Silva and Sterling score big for Man City

The backing for both Sterling and Silva is, of course, underpinned by Norwich’s obliging defence. The Canaries have let in 18 goals since Gameweek 30+, an average of 2.3 per game.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (£10.9m) may have blanked in each of his last three outings, but there is still an outside chance he can wrestle the Golden Boot trophy away from Jamie Vardy (£9.7m). Watford come to the Emirates Stadium having conceded three goals in three of their last five away matches, while Aubameyang has scored six times in as many home Premier League appearances.

With the same amount of the support in the poll (11%), Harry Kane (£10.9m) comes into Gameweek 38+ with a brace in each of his last two games. That has convinced a portion of the Fantasy community that the Spurs forward will have an enjoyable trip to Selhurst Park on Sunday afternoon.

using-the-top-10000-ownership-to-increase-your-fpl-rank-andys-article 8

Crystal Palace have found themselves in the middle of a rotten defensive crisis as the 2019/20 campaign comes to a close. They have at least two goals in each of their last five Premier League matches, and will face Spurs short of Patrick van Aanholt (£5.6m), Gary Cahill (£4.3m), James Tomkins (£4.9m) and, most likely, Mamadou Sakho (£5.0m).

Another team in disarray at the back are Newcastle, who have flags against seven different defenders ahead of hosting Liverpool on Sunday. That could be good news for Mohamed Salah (£12.5m), who clearly has a been under his bonnet having not scored in each of his last three despite a whole host of opportunities. The Egyptian has arguably been the most exciting Liverpool player recently and a beleaguered Newcastle defence could be exactly what he needs to get that explosive haul he has been promising.

Christian Pulisic (£7.4m), Bruno Fernandes (£9.1m), Riyad Mahrez (£8.6m), Gabriel Jesus (£9.9m) and Anthony Martial (£8.5m) are the only other options with more than 1% support in the poll.

Player statistics – Last four matches

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £17.50. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99.

1. Trophé Mourinho

I mentioned this the other week but no one replied 🙁
    I worked out some captain rotations with Salah this season. Salah @ home is the priority captian pick, unless the other player has a double that week.

Mane+Salah = 518 points + 1 additional point for the double in 24 where Mane got the TC = 519 points (KDB covered GW18 where Pool blanked, KDB got 4 points that week)

Sterling+Salah = 522 points + 16 points for the double in 24 where Salah got the TC = 538 points

Salah perma cap, with KDB covering any games where Mo didnt feature, Salah TC in 24 = 542 points

KDB+Salah = 604 points + 16 points for the double in 24 where Salah got the TC = 620 points

620 is massive...

Rotating KDB and Salah is the clear way to go and what I will be doing next season. The Salah perma cap doesnt look that bad either tho.

Obviously this doesnt include GW38

1. Ze_Austin

Sterling is back, mate. The same Sterling who burned me by holding on for too long this season

He's back, and he affects this plan next season

1. Would Ed Woodward

I wonder whether Sterling is particularly better without fans or is it was because of the rest after he played way more minutes than normal earlier in the season.

1. Ze_Austin

Best I can think of is one unknown injury in his foot that he didn't even notice until it went

Because I can't explain this. Not even with the long break. His form fell off a cliff and took me with it... Then I didn't get him when it came back. Still hurts

2. Trophé Mourinho

hmm, idk if i want to commit to have Sterling all season :/ KDB I will

1. Ze_Austin

Meaning a proper Sterling season can burn your rank because he's probably going to be cheaper than KDB, and fitting both in with Salah is problematic

Aaaaand that's the problem

2. Rains of Castamere

Based on what, Salah H and KDB A?

1. Trophé Mourinho

Yes Salah @ home is priority in all cases, his partner fills in the games where he isnt @ home.

1. Trophé Mourinho

I didnt check how often KDB was actually away or at home, I worked out all Salahs home games first then KDB filled in the blanks.

2. Rains of Castamere

Interesting to be honest. Any weeks this season when they've both been away?

1. Trophé Mourinho

if that was the case, KDB got the armband, but I didnt record whether KDB was home or away.I worked out all salahs home games, then KDB filled in every blank no matter where he was.

1. Rains of Castamere

Ok gotcha. I think KDB scores even more next season, he's only been on pens since Feb

1. Trophé Mourinho

yea hoping he doesnt get injrued at all, if that happens will have to switch to Sterling

3. Ginkapo FPL

What scores next season?

4. fish&chips

My gosh, I would have won FPL with that strategy. But different players will perform next year no doubt. No-one expected KDB to have the season he's had this year. I'm sure plenty will say it was obvious but just go back and read the forum in early August last year.

1. TheDragon

I actually did - had him all season was very confident in a mega season and he has been the only thing I’ve got right this season but I massively under captained him.

My rank is still rubbish though!

2. jamiejoe

Have you taken off your captain scores first?

1. Trophé Mourinho

yes lol..

I like the idea of simplifying captain next season.

1. Rains of Castamere

Bit boring tho... I like the theory but would take huge balls to captain Salah at home to United in order to stick to the strategy when someone like Kane has Brentford at home.

I don't care if it's boring if it gets me more points 😛

2. Trophé Mourinho

yea 100% agree. I think im going to employ this strat for the vast majority of games, except some exceptional circumstances like you have described. So I will follow it 90%
          Looking at my cap points this season, I did take too many risks and it has cost me.

Im only on something like 480 points form captain this season, that in comparison to 600+ is mind boggling

Once the season is over, I will work it all out again including 38, and put all of the data here so people can verify it and see how exaclty I worked it out. In case anyone has any doubts that I worked it out wrong or question some of my decisions

2. Ze_Austin

My rotating captain experiment actually worked until the lockdown. I'll wait to see who the must-haves are next season, then try it again with two (max 3) rotating captains. Salah + Sterling + Bruno current candidates. Salah + Bruno rotating for any gameweek where Sterling isn't a certainly starting flat-track bully

1. Would Ed Woodward

My plan for next season is limit my caps to 2 or 3 players, cap choices have been my main letdown this season, I've got unlucky but also punted too much when someone had a good fixture, Jimenez vs Newcastle or DCL vs Norwich for example.

6. supperspout

I d be winning overall if I’m understanding correctly and I managed keep everything else the same,

1. Trophé Mourinho

Did you have KDB and Salah the entire season? And deducted all your captain points including TC?
        I cant really work mine out as I didnt have Salah all season#

And yea doesnt surprise me, nothing comes close to that KDB/Salah rotation unless someone managed to pick the highest scoring player like week in week out. There is no doubt tho, that some people must have used this strat, and have something close to that 620.

2. RVP 20

40 pts lead in cash ML, what to do here?
      1.1 ITB, 1 FT

Pope (3.9)
      TAA Long Saiss (Taylor Robinson)
      Salah KBD Son Bruno ASM
      Rashford Greenwood Jimenez

1. DA Minnion

Son to sterling.

• umerlfc

Salah captain anyone?

1. Sid123

Strong possibility as I cannot get sterling without-8

2. ritzyd

Yep o/

• Rains of Castamere

Goals scored by Man City since restart - 29
      Goals scored in final 20 minutes - 3

Think there's been a definite 'foot off the pedal' mentality with City players. If word gets out that one of my City trio is benched, they're coming out.

1. Firminoooo

Thanks. This is important to have in mind.

2. fish&chips

Nice stat

3. Rains of Castamere

Cheers, it's even more glaring when you consider we've been getting roughly an extra 2 mins stoppage time

4. _Ninja_

29 goals? Thought it was only 22. Subs are made usually at 60 mins. Still prob only about 6 goals in that time do you have a point.

• Would Ed Woodward

I have a feeling that results tomorrow could also determine whether we sign Sancho and Chelsea sign Havertz, so much at stake.

1. TheDragon

Ye United desperately need champions league

If united don’t get there I think Ole has to take the blame for running the first team into the ground.

Why he hasn’t rested Fernandes in the cup is beyond me. FA cup was totally irrelevant to United this season

1. Would Ed Woodward

Had to be on the bench against Norwich really, we've looked knackered last couple of games which says a lot about our lack of strength in depth too, very poor squad building since Fergie.

1. TheDragon

How you looking for this last GW?

I’ve somehow got a 10 point lead in my ML.

Deciding between which combo of Kane&Mahrez, KDB&Son, KDB&Fernandes is ruining me.

How do you see the United game going?

1. Would Ed Woodward

I haven't put much thought into it mate, gonna finish around 500k and probably bottom of my 4 man cash ML, someone that forgot to change cap from Willian this week is ahead of me ffs, disgusting.

I saw your post and wanted to help but I'm really not sure and don't even wanna predict how that game will go, both desperate to win but both teams look knackered and Leicester don't have a defence, my last move is probably Vardy > Kane for what it's worth. he seems sharp again and Palace are rubbish but I do think KDB will be desperate for that assist record.

1. TheDragon

Thanks mate

I’ll be glad when this season is over too.

Ye I want Kane and KDB but can’t have them all!

1. Would Ed Woodward

Is the ML between you and second place or are there more involved?

1. TheDragon

Just second (in theory). Third has FH and 4th has TC but they are both 75 behind

2. Silecro

Havertz reportedly coming to Chelsea regardless of ucl

1. Would Ed Woodward

Yeah, I did see that, even Sane said it was done, very jealous if so, great signing.

• dunas_dog

Rightly or wrongly I have used free transfer on Vardy to Kane (C). If Foden starts tomorrow do you think team OK? If we hear not starting would you take -8 to switch to D Silva and downgrade Doherty to Bardsley? I am chasing so Kane captain

Martinez
      TAA Aurier Doherty*
      KDB Sterling Martial Bruno Foden*
      Kane (c) Wood

Pope Nketiah Maguire Fernández

1. Rains of Castamere

No way would I -8

• Silecro

Mahrez or Antonio?

1. jamiejoe

I fancy West Ham to be up for it v Villa.

1. Ajax Hamsterdam

No way I'm dropping Antonio from my team 🙂

1. jamiejoe

I'm looking at Foden to Antonio,

Will need to do Jimi to Giroud for - 4 tho!

2. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

Straight pick between two, Mahrez, rested, at home to Relegated Norwich, no contest. I'll be picking Silva due to cost and probably also Antonio. Villa are going to put up a very stiff opposition. However, if they go behind, or if Watford go ahead, it could be carnage.

1. Silecro

Im on FH so already have Silva. Its just between Mahrez insecurity of start vs Antonio playing tougher motivated opposition

1. jamiejoe

Scarface team news at 2.47 pm.

Any chance of FPL crashing?

I mean, has it ever happened on final day deadline rather than first day of the season?

1. Silecro

Yeah I will be monitoring it closely. Will leave Mahrez in team for now, so even if fpl crashes, i should be in okay position regardless

2. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

I don't see Mahrez as being a doubt to start. Fully rested and is part of their strongest 11, I think we'll see City Line up against Norwich as the will for Champions League. Possibly Jesus replaced by Sterling.

1. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

I might take Mahrez 20 mins against tired, depleted, relegated,
              Norwich legs.

2. Silecro

Cheers, currently also on Mahrez

• Warbling Wendy

Martinez, Mccarthy
      Taa, van dijk, laporte, (pieters, long)
      Salah, sterling, KDB, fernandes, martial
      Jiminez, Greenwood, (Nketiah)

Not sure who to transfer out/in this week, I have just the one FT. Currently sat at 3k in the world, would love to make a move that pushes into the top 1k but I'm struggling for inspiration - any ideas?

• Fire Chief Moe

Does anyone look at fplreview massive data, this week it suggests Shane Long has more than of scoring than Ings.

1. Tomerick

That should be enough to discredit it then.

• jamiejoe

Anyone wonder if Sterling jetting off for a couple of days and a return flight to Saint Tropez makes him more or less likely to be benched on Sunday?

Last time Pep talked rotation he said some will play v Watford and some v Norwich.

Across all teams youth team players may be given a start as a warm up for next season.

Do you think there's much rotation risk and a few surprises in store with team selections?

1. jamiejoe

Thanks... Doesn't really go into it tho.

1. dunas_dog

I think he will want to play team he has in mind for Real Madrid game

1. jamiejoe

That's logical but with Man City even if you have 3 starters do you get the right scorers and assists?

Easily 5 or 6 who can do it.

2. Would Ed Woodward

Yeah, there's still a pretty big gap to that game and I think he'll want momentum.

2. Werner Brothers

I read in this forum that for gw38 pep will be focusing on personal glory, in this case sterling for golden boot & kdb for assist record. Hope I'm not mistaken

1. Long ago I drew a walrus

Pep absolutely will not be going for Personal glory - the players themselves might, but don't expect Pep to facilitate any of it

1. Werner Brothers

The player's personal glory i mean. I forgot where i read this.

Sterling also got enough rest & jesus play 90 min vs Watford so big chance sterling start.

2. Markus

That's because people think about those things on a ff forum - he's probably not gonna be disappointed if mahrez, rodri, walker and jesus assist each other and they win 5-0

• Ajax Hamsterdam

All -4

1. The Units

B with Greenwood.

1. Captain Scarlet

Max’d out on United

• KP - FPL

Which combo scores more if chasing?

a) Jesus, Salah, Pulisic, Wood

b) Jesus, Auba, Son, Grealish

c) Mahrez, Salah, Pulisic, Wood

d) Dilva, Kane, Auba, Pulisic

1. The Units

D

• Finbo

Hi All, Newbie commenter here

1. TheDragon

Hi 🙂

What’s your team for GW38

1. Finbo

I did type it out not sure why didn't come up.

Thinking a -4pt hit and going big on city..

Fernandes, martial, Doherty out
              Sterling, silva, pieters in

Martinez (foster)
              Taa, Digne, pieters ( zouma, saiss)
              Salah, sterling, silva, kdb (saka)
              Vardy, greenwood, ings

1. TheDragon

Looks great!

Sounds like you are in a similar position to me in terms of needing to decide how the Man U game will go

2. Finbo

I'm in a draft league where we had to keep 1 player all season without fail. Mine was Vardy!

• The Units

Looks good.

• Eddie - Back to Square Owen

Looks grand. Nice team for a little hit.

1. Finbo

Thanks 🙂 Worth the -4pt then you think?

1. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

Who knows, if Man U have a good game you won't have made any profit, possibly even a loss, but if Man U struggle there is a good chance it will pay off.

2. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

I'd be tempted to make just two of those moves and keep Martial.

3. Rains of Castamere

Dilly ding dilly dong, welcome.

4. Amey

Welcome

5. Ze_Austin

Hey there. Welcome 🙂

6. Firminoooo

Welcome. Good team.

• lindeg

dilva, sterling, mahrez the 3 city go to options on a fh right?

1. TheDragon

KDB over Mahrez for me if money no object

Jesus is the forgotten man too. He is their striker after all

1. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

He's nljust not as good as the others though.

2. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

Silva, Sterling KDB for me.

3. jamiejoe

Sounds logical.

Could be Jesus, KdB and Foden tho!

4. Ajax Hamsterdam

I have sterling kdb and d Silva at present

5. FOO FIGHTER

Pep roulette

6. Robben Mee Blind

I'm torn between Mahrez and KDB on mine. Can see Silva 'stealing' some set pieces but KDB being so close to the assist record is playing on my mind and I've had him all season so would be gutted if took him out and he hauled.

Its Mahrez & Martial/Bruno vs KDB & Antonio for me. Tough choice!

7. Firminoooo

I have changed it. Gone Jesus over Mahrez. If Jesus not starting, back to Mahrez.

• FOO FIGHTER

Guess is it safe to go Jesus to Kane and then have Sterling and Dilva only for Norwich.

Servers are surely going to go tits up and don't want to be caught with my pants down...

1. Holmes

Still more than 24hrs to go...

• Camzy

I think we may be surprised this week with how many people captain Sterling.

Only 30% owned in the top 10K prior to this week. Of which less than a third will FH the final week.

That means that probably around 50-60% of teams will have him this week or thereabouts. Many players are chasing so will feel the need to cap someone else so not all the 50-60% of teams will cap him.

I think Sterling's EO% this week will be like 80-85% and not quite 100% like what Andy and a few others are predicting.

1. Long ago I drew a walrus

Good

2. PascalCygan

I’m worried that my ML rival I’m chasing will bring him in and TC him.

He has TC, I have FH. I’ve cut the gap from 50 to 16. Still feel Sterling is best captain option, as he doesn’t have him now.

Or maybe I need to second guess him and go extra differential? So many options!

1. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

Cap who you think will score highest, you'll have to make up the 16 points and the extra Sterling score with your diffs.

1. PascalCygan

True. Even if he brings Sterling in, I’m hoping I’ll have 8/9 players different. Thanks

3. fish&chips

Logic would also say that 30% of the 30% free hitting would have already had him last week. Could be a fair few TCs floating around though to bump his ownership up to the 100%

• wulfranian

I think that if Jesus starts is one of the best captain options if not the best.

1. PascalCygan

Agree, good option

2. Holmes

For sure

3. Firminoooo

He is overlooked by so many. I changed Mahrez to Jesus.

• PascalCygan

How many keeping TAA in FH teams?

Remarkably, ML rival I have (who is top10k) doesn’t have him, so should I keep him as a differential?

Would mean downgrading KdB/Martial to Dilva...

Cheers!

1. wulfranian

I think its only worth to loose Taa only for get Sterling or Kane.

1. PascalCygan

I have all three in my current draft. Will probably have to compromise elsewhere

2. Robben Mee Blind

I'm not keeping him. Getting in Neco Williams as an enabler but might actually put him in my XI - can see him getting a start

1. PascalCygan

If we get wind if that, good idea. Neco is class, very much in the Trent mould

3. Tomerick

If rival doesn’t have him sure

1. PascalCygan

Thanks

• Noah’s Ark

Have not taken many hits all season. Thoughts on Vardy and AWB to Ings and Taa -4?

1. jamiejoe

Vardy is up against that Man Utd defense tho!

• What the Blazes?

I'm a mere 6 points ahead in my ML

Rival has no city at all, so will likely get in Sterling for GW38

I cannot get Sterling without a -8 or losing KDB.

Pope
              TAA Doherty Stephens
              KDB Mahrez Bruno Martial
              Vardy Greenwood Jiminez

Is Doherty & Jiminez -> Pieters & Kane(C) sensible?

1. jamiejoe

Or KdB to Sterling?

• Better Call Raul

Why is KdB so low in the captaincy poll?

1. jamiejoe

Last 5 match returns.

• jamiejoe

Yay or nay?

* Foden to Antonio &

Jimi to Giroud for - 4 tho!

• Olesathewheeel

Hey y'all

A. Pulisic to Sterling
              B. Fernandes to Sterling (have martial)

Also chasing 20 pts
              Kane TC instead of sterling?
              Rival has FH

Help

• Sid07

1) rashford + kdb to Ings + Sterling (-4)
              2) vardy + kdb to Ings + Sterling (-4)
              3) salah to Sterling

Planning to tc Sterling

1. wulfranian

• thepuntmaster

Seen more people on Twitter this morning thinking there will be Liverpool rotation... anyone have opinions on that?

1. jamiejoe

It's entirely possible to play the squad in.

Would be traditional with nothing to play for.

2. Tomerick

I just can’t see it. They haven’t been good enough in the last few matches to risk blowing this last game. They will want to go out with a bang.

• iL PiStOlErO

Final week, this is the situation:

Pope
              TAA Doherty Fernandez
              Salah KdB Bruno Dilva
              Rash Ings Greenwood

3.9 Kiko Holgate Guendouzi

1ft, 2.2m itb

Would you do?

A) Salah to Sterling(TC)
              B) Rash to Auba (DilvaTC)
              C) Rash to Kane (Dilva TC)
              D) Salah + Rash to Sterling + Auba or Kane for - 4

1. Bring back Rafa

2. FOO FIGHTER

Any thoughts on this?

Patricio
                Trent Robbo Dunk
                Salah Sterling Dilva Martial Son
                Jesus Greenwood

1. The Units

Looks good.

3. The Units

I think yjr WC team is done.

Martinez
                Pieters – Aurier – TAA – Robbo
                Salah – Sterling – KdB – Dilva
                Kane – Greenwood
                (Martin) (Nketiah - Williams – D. Luiz)

Thoughts?

1. FOO FIGHTER

Very strong.

Guess it is just Pep that needs to be worried about.

2. Bring back Rafa

I'd prefer Antonio or Ings over one of your defenders

3. KP - FPL

Which combo scores more if chasing?

a) Jesus, Salah, Wood

b) Dilva, Kane, Auba (-4)

1. Eddie - Back to Square Owen

The same combo which scores more if leading. Can you do Silva, Salah, Kane / Auba?