208
Scout Notes

Strong Gameweek 38 line-ups look assured for Chelsea, Leicester and Liverpool

Chelsea 2-1 Leicester City

• Goals: Antonio Rudiger (£4.7m), Jorginho (£4.7m) | Kelechi Iheanacho (£6.2m)
  • Assists: Ben Chilwell (£5.9m), Timo Werner (£9.2m) | Wilfred Ndidi (£4.8m)
  • Bonus Points: Jorginho x3, Ndidi x2, Rudiger, Iheanacho x1

Chelsea gained control of their Champions League destiny with a deserved win over Leicester that, from a Fantasy perspective, was the best-case scenario.

The result means that, should Liverpool get at least a draw tonight, all three sides will still be in contention for a top-four finish on the final day, meaning strong and motivated teams put out by their managers for Sunday’s Gameweek 38.

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel was clear about that following last night’s win:

It’s a big step, but it’s only a step. It’s not done yet, we have to push it over the line on Sunday. We absolutely need to refocus on Sunday. This is not the time for celebration.

Hamstring problems for both Kai Havertz (£8.3m), who didn’t make the squad, and N’Golo Kante (£4.9m), who was taken off after 31 minutes as a precaution, dampened Tuchel’s mood further.

He gave an update on them both post-match:

I don’t know yet (their conditions). We will check them tomorrow. I have a good feeling with N’Golo. He said he felt something, he didn’t want to risk a muscle injury. I hope he will be fit for Sunday, Kai the same.

Neither are that well-owned in FPL, with Chelsea’s most popular asset, Mason Mount (£7.3m), blanking again – he’s now produced just two assists in six starts for his 16.8% ownership.

The 14%-owned Ben Chilwell (£5.9m) was awarded the assist for Antonio Rudiger‘s (£4.7m) opener when his corner skimmed off a Leicester head before being bundled home by the centre-half.

But the defenders failed to keep a clean sheet for the third straight match.

At the other end, Timo Werner (£9.2m and 10.4%) was all action and no goals, as so often seems the case.

He was denied two strikes, rightly, by VAR and the same system somehow failed to award a first-half penalty when he was kicked by Youri Tielemans (£6.4m).

The forward was then involved in another incident after the break which VAR found to be inside the area and Jorginho (£4.7m) did the rest from the spot.

Werner led the way for attempts on the night, with four, produced returns for a fourth straight start and his 12th  assist of the season puts him third among forwards in that particular table.

Whatever else you think about the Germany international, he’s not idle.

One striker who hasn’t struggled for goals recently is Kelechi Iheanacho (£6.2m).

A rare recent blank last time out at Old Trafford and a poor FA Cup final had persuaded nearly 50,000 managers to get rid for Gameweek 37 and Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers’ decision to bench the forward looked to have justified that move.

But Iheanacho rewarded the loyalty of his remaining 18.9% base with a goal from a lively 30-minute cameo that should cement his starting place for Sunday’s visit by Spurs.

Rodgers will have to go for broke in that game and it would be a major surprise if he again used Jamie Vardy (£10.2m) in a lone striker role that he really struggled with against Chelsea.

The centre-forward managed just two (off-target) attempts, three penalty area touches (five players bettered that) and zero chances created.

The Foxes look set to be without Jonny Evans (£5.6m) this weekend, however:

He’s still sore. He’s highly unlikely for the weekend, so he’s probably played his last game [of the season].

Chelsea XI (3-4-2-1): E Mendy; Rüdiger, T Silva, Azpilicueta (Zouma 88); Chilwell, Jorginho, Kanté (Kovacic 32), R James; Pulisic, Mount; Werner (Giroud 90+1).

Leicester XI (3-4-2-1): Schmeichel; Söyüncü, Fofana, Castagne; Thomas, Tielemans, Ndidi, Albrighton (Pereira 67); Maddison (Iheanacho 60), Pérez; Vardy.

Brighton and Hove Albion 3-2 Manchester City

• Goals: Leandro Trossard (£5.5m), Adam Webster (£4.3m), Dan Burn (£4.2m) | llkay Gundogan (£5.6m), Phil Foden (£6.1m)
  • Assists: Pascal Gross (£5.8m) | Riyad Mahrez (£8.1m)
  • Bonus Points: Foden x3 Trossard x2 Gundogan x1

Brighton produced a stunning comeback to beat ten-man Manchester City as llkay Gundogan (£5.6m) scored and then limped off to toy with the emotions of his 18.2% FPL ownership.

The Germany international took just two minutes to notch his 13th goal of the season, albeit his first since Gameweek 27, when he headed home Riyad Mahrez‘s (£8.1m) cross.

That proved to be the high point for Gundogan, however, as he succumbed to a knock after the break.

The City boss Pep Guardiola was relatively upbeat about the German’s prospects:

Tomorrow we are going to check it, the doctor is quite optimistic. The problem is he had a kick and he was running in the second half with a disturbance. I didn’t want to take a risk, that’s why we did the substitution.

With a Champions League final now just a week and a half away, the manager is unlikely to rush his man back for Sunday’s dead rubber at home to Everton.

Then again, this is Guardiola we’re talking about, so expect the unexpected remains the wisest tactic, especially in light of his pre-match comments about who will start next Saturday’s European final against Chelsea:

Here I rotate a lot and everyone can play. Still right now I am not clear about the way we are going to play and who we are going to play. I have to take a look in the next 10 days and after I will take a decision.

At Brighton, he went for Ferran Torres (£7.0m) as, nominally at least, a striker.

Some 167,629 managers would have been congratulating themselves as they’d brought the midfielder in on the back of the his Gameweek 36 hat-trick at Newcastle.

But Joao Cancelo‘s (£5.8m) early season-ending red card meant a Guardiola re-shuffle, with Torres sacrificed so Eric Garcia (£4.7m) could bolster City’s defence.

At least Torres got some minutes. The 12%-owned Kevin De Bruyne (£11.8m) was fit enough for the bench, but stayed there throughout, although that does increase the likelihood of some kind of involvement for the Belgian on Sunday.

Brighton boss Graham Potter likes a bit of rotation himself, and he could well bring back Lewis Dunk (£4.8m) for the final-day trip to Arsenal now that the centre-half has served a two-match suspension.

Welbeck, however, is a doubt for that game after a hamstring problem meant he played just 28 minutes against City.

Potter was not hopeful about his forward’s prospects:

I have not had an update from the medical team. But he just felt his hamstring, so it is disappointing for him. It looks like he will miss Arsenal, but we will see how bad it is.

Brighton XI (3-4-2-1): R Sánchez; Burn, Webster, White; Moder, Bissouma, Alzate (Zeqiri 65), Groß; Mac Allister, Jahanbakhsh (Lallana 49); Welbeck (Trossard 29).

Man City XI (4-3-3): Ederson; Zinchenko, Stones, Dias, Cancelo; Gundogan (Fernandinho 56), Rodrigo, B Silva (Jesus 77); Foden, Mahrez, Torres (Garcia 15).

Full-year memberships and monthly subscriptions are now available.

1. Pep bites Kun
    4 months, 1 day ago

Teams with decent chances of cleanies this weekend?

Manu v Wol
    Leeds v Brom
    Wham v Sou

I just can't see Pool def doing the business v Palace. Am I wrong?

1. Scholes Out Forever
      4 months, 1 day ago

West Ham defence has been atrocious, probably wont get a cleanie

2. Fit_to_drop

I dont trust 1 or 3 either but Leeds have a very decent shout

3. Major League Shocker
      4 months, 1 day ago

Chelsea, if you can predict who will play.

4. Cheeto__Bandito
      4 months, 1 day ago

Only see chelsea pool and city for decent cs chances this week

5. Clintymints
      4 months, 1 day ago

Last day always a lottery

Leeds from that

2. Bonus magnet

Bottomed

eze showing as 25% on fpl

is there a chance he plays for those in the know?

1. Scholes Out Forever
      4 months, 1 day ago

no. look at the tweets on the right of the site.

He's got a torn ACL

1. Bonus magnet

sheez

2. Clintymints

Nope, goosed. ACL

3. Hooky

Achilles not ACL. Very different injury

3. RamaJama
    4 months, 1 day ago

We’re 3 fighting for the last spot in the ML, 4 points separating us.

Is taking hits too big of a risk with 1 GW to go?

1. Pompel
      4 months, 1 day ago

I think so, unless you have some serious deadwood in you team. Better to try to pick the shrewd differential for last GW. I think Salah(c) is pretty obvious for GW38, so don't risk differential captain unless falling behind tonight

2. Ajax Hamsterdam

Definitely imo

3. NateDog
      4 months, 1 day ago

If the gap was 10-20 I'd still say it would be risky so at that small a gap it could easily end up the difference

4. Pep bites Kun
      4 months, 1 day ago

Before you think about a hit, you should compare each competing team to your own to judge the weaknesses & strengths. They'll be doing the same thing, so may be forced into hit(s), which 'may' play to your advantage.

Depending on how strong your team is in comparison (each player) and the moves your opponents will likely make, will tell you whether a hit or hits are feasible. I wouldn't be against it for a win. Remember that lineups may be erratic, so you're better sticking to those teams that have something to play for and 'need' to field a strong side. Actually the article above covers this topic.

5. RamaJama
      4 months, 1 day ago

Thanks A lot for your help!

4. BobB
    4 months, 1 day ago

Eze seemed to impact on Zaha's output, so he should benefit

5. The advantage of a good start
    Champ
    4 months, 1 day ago

A good start to the season can be so helpful really can't it?

Just looking at my main mini league, and the guy that's going to win had both Son and Kane for 5 goals and 4 assists between them.

That alone was for almost 70 points and GW rank of 15k with well over 100 points

He completely deserves to win the league as he still had to play well over the course of the 38 game weeks

When you're in a good place rank wise then it helps not to have to chase and focus on a gradual climb instead I think

1. Champ

*sorry that Spurs win was gw2

2. Holmes
      4 months, 1 day ago

I think a bad start actually suits me. Not much pressure to drop further, can think of different ways to improve rank instead of protecting the rank by going templatish.

A good start triggers overthinking for me plus mood getting off with red arrow pretty much every other week 😆

1. Holmes
        4 months, 1 day ago

A good start obviously helps, makes it easy to build your season on that foundation but mentally its a no for me.

4 months, 1 day ago

A good start to the season is so important.

Because it compounds a lot of things.

1. You don't need to use transfers to right the ship since you already have the hot assets that other people are buying.
      2. You improve your team value.
      3. You then have the luxury of looking ahead and buying the next target with a strong founddation.

The transfer reason is a huge one. You only get one transfer a week. If you start with a poor squad and then squander your early wildcard, you're put in a really tough position to claw back a respectable rank.

I found myself in that situation this year. I started poorly, wildcarded early to get back on top but didn't get it right (triple Wolves, no Leeds, too much faith in Liverpool and didn't get Kane) and from then on, I got impatient. Instead of trying to steady the ship, I looked for the next bandwagons early without having the foundation to hold rank. You get a few of those wrong and you're done.

1. g40steve
        4 months, 1 day ago

Remember the GW1 template what a load of duds it contained!

Werner
        2x pool defence
        Etc
        Etc

1. RedLightning - Top 10k Any …
          4 months, 1 day ago

The FFS template was different from the top thousand template.
          While we were busy thinking that Werner and at least one Liverpool wingback was almost essential and working out how many City and United players we could bring in after their early blank Gameweek, the early leaders just went for Kane and Son from the start.
          Grealish and Zaha were also strong early options.

2. Baps hunter
        4 months, 1 day ago

Unfortunately this is correct. I had bad start and despite of having 18/20 last arrows green I entered top 100k just last week.

3. Pompel
        4 months, 1 day ago

It's important to avoid a bad start, but even more important to not squander wildcard if so happens. Rather take a -12 , or a couple of successive -8's to steer into safe territory (i.e. template). Having wild card for later is just so valuable. I had a terrible start to the season, mainly due to a couple of failed punts, and backing the wrong big hitters for captaincy. A bad OR at start of season is nothing to stress about, it's only natural that rank swings more at the beginning

1. Old Man
          4 months, 1 day ago

good advice ... a few big reconstructive early hits can pay huge dividends long term.

2. joey
          4 months, 18 hours ago

Don't mind taking hits but also not against an early wildcard either. The seasons I've finished top 10k I've used my wildcard in the first few weeks. If you manage to identify trends early doors you can get on at pretty low prices and you still have transfers later on and a more balanced squad, so you might not need to rip it up with -12's etc.

If my team is in shambles early doors then I'm happy to use a wildcard, or if there is a premium option I really want that would involve multiple transfers to get then may as well wildcard and fix the rest of the team as well. No right or wrong time to use it I don't think. Depends how bad your initial team is I suppose, if a -12 gets it exactly as you want it then great but I imagine in that situation there are probably 4 or 5 other changes you'd make if you could.

4. El Presidente
        4 months, 1 day ago

You're absolutely on the money there. The same happened to me, WC in GW2 which in hindsight was precipitate. Made a few costly mistakes at the start but then I had to rebuild the squad and patiently but steadily climbed rank. One thing I think it's really important is what I call layer climbing. You have to be inside 100k at GW15, inside 50k at GW25 and inside 10k GW35 tops. Ofc this is not exact science but if you analyse it you'll see that every successful FPL campaign done consistently season after season, works exactly like that. I don't want to be that guy, but I think my campaign this season is the perfect example of what I've just described.

1. joey
          4 months, 18 hours ago

Fair play, sounds like you've had a good season but "layer climbing" is worse than upside chasing

4. Pep bites Kun
      4 months, 1 day ago

It certainly is. Playing your chips wisely can be another huge bonus.

5. L S P
      4 months, 1 day ago

I'm historically a "use the first WC late" player but this season has convinced me to strongly consider using it early next season. Being behind early really hurt and, while I made a lot of other mistakes (none of my informed "punts" came off this season), I still look at not WCing in the hot players at the start of the season as my biggest regret.

I climbed back to a respectable-ish place but then have been treading water since basically GW20. Mostly because of all those other mistakes which will likely see me with my lowest OR since 13/14.

6. ⱼₐᵣᵥᵢₛₕ
      4 months, 1 day ago

I had a very good GW1 and GW2 this year, and then WC'ed GW3 with the likes of Foden, Podence, Mitrovic and Lamptey (all the flavours of that time) and it quickly turned to shite. It always works out for different people in different ways, and the luck of how the general WC template in the week you happen to WC holds up is a massive factor.

7. Nomar
      4 months, 1 day ago

I usually always start badly and pick up around the new year. But for once I'd love to have a fast start

If you catch fire early it's a lot easier because the chasers end up getting players you obviously already have so you are up on them already.

I'm a traditional use my first WC as late as possible player, but next year I'm going to have a completely open mind about it because this year has been abysmal for me, so maybe it's telling me something about my usual strategy.

1. Major League Shocker
        4 months, 1 day ago

It would be good to have some content over the summer looking at managers like Mark, Fabio, Darren, and FPL General who all managed to get to a decent rank before their first WC even though they saved it until GW16. It could address: Is this approach feasible for mere mortals who aren't right up at the top of the Hall of Fame? If not, why not?

8. DannyDrinkVodka
      4 months, 1 day ago

I suppose you can’t guarantee yourself a top 10k final OR in the first 20% of the season but you can certainly lose a reasonable chance of obtaining top 10k final OR in the first 20% of the season.

9. Party time

Absolutely

10. Stejson
      4 months, 1 day ago

I'd say a good start is essential.
      The chap who leads my minileague by 70 points has scored near exactly the same number of points over the last 18 gameweeks as the rest of the people taking it seriously in the league. His advantage has been built early in the season.
      I had a disaster wildcard gw3. Took until gw 11 for ny team outscored the points I would have had, had I left my gw1 team untouched. Quite depressing

11. Jon Walter's Hatty
      4 months, 1 day ago

Got to 70 odd k going into last day but feel my season was totally shaped by selling Son in GW2 and not going back to him. Felt that kick in the guts for ages after and he just kept kicking.

12. Rover
      4 months, 20 hours ago

I went without Salah, Kane and Son to start the season. Them 3 alone scored 166 points in the first 5 GWs. And by then I was outside the top 4m.

I'm 149 points behind top 10k now after pretty much only getting green arrows since (29 in 32).

13. denial
      4 months, 20 hours ago

Yes, I agree. I think my decision to captain Auba over Salah GW 1 set up a bad season for me. Always chasing after this, lots of poor decisions.

1. Daniel Jebbison
        4 months, 15 hours ago

Agree top start is super important

14. OOJ
      4 months, 8 hours ago

A good start is good but i prefer chasing the packs to savour the victory.
      Started 6m+ in gw1 but now leading my mini league by 30 points with BB chip left to be used.

6. RedJive79
    4 months, 1 day ago

Would you do Digne to Robertson (or Chelsea def), or Son to Mane and bench Digne?

Martinez
    TAA / Dallas / Digne
    Salah / Lingard / Willock / Son
    Bam / Kane / DCL

Areola / Greenwood / Struijk / Veltman

1. Kloppage Time

I would do Digne to Robertson 6 keep Son

2. Pep bites Kun
      4 months, 1 day ago

Digne to Robertson gives you double Liv def. How confident would you be with that? It's a good differential, but ..

1. RedJive79
        4 months, 1 day ago

Hence the alternative Mane option. Or go Chels def instead.....

3. Nedvěd11
      4 months, 15 hours ago

Start Greenwood with DCL first sub...

7. Champions League Varane
    4 months, 1 day ago

Would you get rid of/ bench Kelechi or play him? Have him starting currently but have 2FT and struggling

1. Major League Shocker

Play

2. Clintymints

Play

As the article says, Leicester gota go for goals

3. Pep bites Kun

I'd play him

4. Nedvěd11
      4 months, 15 hours ago

Start him...

Probably 3-4 goals between this match..

8. Kabayan
    4 months, 1 day ago

Best chance of clean sheet gw38?
    A. Martinez
    B. Areola
    C. Casilla (punt)
    Have 2FT.

1. Major League Shocker
      4 months, 1 day ago

C if you have nothing better to do with a transfer.

1. Kabayan
        4 months, 1 day ago

Planning is to do Bruno to Mane. And quite set on the rest of squad.

2. MMN
      4 months, 1 day ago

I will probably go B and use FTs elsewhere. If you're not chasing anything then C is not bad but Dallas a much better route into Leeds defence.

3. Pep bites Kun
      4 months, 1 day ago

Leeds - C. Do you already have Dallas?

1. Kabayan
        4 months, 1 day ago

I have Dallas, team is linked.
        I need the fund for Mane.
        It's either Martinez to Casila or JLing to Raph or Keane to 4.4 def

1. Pep bites Kun
          4 months, 1 day ago

I like the Casilla punt. At least you know he's nailed on.

9. Finding Timo
    4 months, 1 day ago

TAA best pick for GW38? (already own salah & kane)

1. Cech's Magic Hat

My top target

1. Finding Timo

Thanks agree I am thinking of doing digne to TAA

10. Bonus magnet

Trossard or Raphinha

1. MMN
      4 months, 1 day ago

Gotta be Raph given fixtures.

2. Clintymints

Never Tross

11. Cheeto__Bandito
    4 months, 1 day ago

Best Player to own for last week?

A) Antonio (SOU)
    B) Raph (WBA)

1. Echoes

2. MMN
      4 months, 1 day ago

Tricky, A probably edges it but would see how Antonio does tonight.

12. Echoes
    4 months, 1 day ago

Son + DCL -> Mane + Antonio (-4). Yay or nay?

1. MMN
      4 months, 1 day ago

Depends on the alternative but looks decent. Evans likely out so Son could do well though.

2. FFSbet.com
      4 months, 1 day ago

On the same move but will Mane outscore Son+4?

3. AC/DC AFC

Probably not, just 1?

13. MMN
    4 months, 1 day ago

2 FT 0.2m. Any initial thoughts assuming Jota is out? Chasing a 25 points deficit.

Areola
    Robbo, TAA, Shaw*
    Bale, Lingard, Son, Jota*
    Nacho, Bam, Kane

Martinez, Gundo*, Fofana, Konsa

*doubtful to start

1. Clintymints
      4 months, 1 day ago

I'd take a MF and defender punt, depends what your strategy is with cap similar players etc... Need to go outside the box to catch

1. MMN
        4 months, 1 day ago

Yes, that's the plan. Any suggestions on good punts for the last week?

14. Stoichkov#8
    4 months, 1 day ago

Is DCL (v City) > Antonio (v Sou) or Bamford (v WBA) worth -4?

1. Clintymints

Prob not for a hit, If Garcia plays for city I'd fancy DCL

See how tonight goes

2. AC/DC AFC

Depends who for.

The latter 2 could be tempting but the way this season has swung a brace and assist for DCL at City of Manchester stadium is in the cards.

15. g40steve

Got this for 38 & 1 FT!

Martinez
    Trent, Dallas, #Shaw,
    Son, Salah, Lingz, #Bruno,
    Antonio, Kane, Bamford

Button, Godfrey, Thomas, #Jota,

A, Casilla
    B, get rid of Jota & possibly a United?
    C, other move?

1. AC/DC AFC

B I think.

Tempted by a Newcastle option?

2. Runaway

I would probably do Bruno>Mane

16. Hazz
    4 months, 1 day ago

Just got a few simultaneous tweets that Vydra isn't starting today, for anyone relying on him still...

17. AC/DC AFC
    4 months, 1 day ago

David De Gae to play the Europa final...

18. BobB
    4 months, 1 day ago

Sheff Utd won't keep another away clean sheet. Back Newcastle attacking assets.

19. Bleh

Will Struijk play?

20. Bobby's Teeth
    4 months, 20 hours ago

Hey legends, somehow I still have my BB - how does this lot look for GW38?

Martinez Areola
    TAA Rudiger Dallas Coufal Saiss
    Salah Son Greenwood Willock Lingard
    Kane Antonio Rodrigo

1. Thinking of transferring out Saiss - any suggestions?
    2. Any other transfers that I should be considering?

21. HarryJose22
    4 months, 14 hours ago

Who do I play/transfer in/out. I am 6 points ahead in my mini-league. 0.7 itb.

Martinez (Meslier)
    Dallas, Coufal Godfrey(d) / (AWB(d), Thomas(d))
    Son, Salah (c), Lingz, Raphina(d) / (Greenwood)
    Kane, Nacho, Watkins (d)

(d)=differential
    2nd place has Shaw, Phillips, Harrison and Bamford - no chips for either team.

Thinking one of the following...
    a) Godfrey/Thomas/AWB -> Phillips
    b) Meslier -> Casilla/Mendy
    c) Watkins -> Antonio
    d)Meslier+Watkins --> Bamford+Mendy for a -4.

Thoughts? The player I am playing in my H2H has TAA. I am 2 points behind the ML challenger in this one.

22. get_up_early
    4 months, 13 hours ago

Pickford
    TAA Maguire Dallas
    Bale Salah Harrison Zaha Foden
    Bamford Kane

Guaita DCL Digne Mitchell

Help - who to TC, how to set up & who to bring in?

OR 88k

1. get_up_early
      4 months, 13 hours ago

Also top of ML by 38 points 2nd and 3rd have at least 2 Man Utd

23. BlueRaptor

Mendy, Forster

TAA, AWB, Dallas, Rudiger, Holding

Salah, Bruno, Greenwood, Lingard, ESR

Kane, DCL, Nacho

1FT, 0.6 ITB. 31K OR and leading ML by 55p. I am very unsure of which players to bench, considering I have 3 ManU players with nothing to play for and a EL final three days later. I have Mané (for Bruno), Willock (for Greenwood), Antonio, Bamford and Wood (for DCL or Nacho) on my watchlist.

Any pointers mates?