Pro Pundits - Lateriser

Quantifying the impact of FPL decisions with chip season arriving earlier

Fantasy Premier League managers should make themselves aware of how much impact each of their decisions have on their overall performance.

For 38 Gameweeks every year, we are all making choices, determinations and judgements about our teams, each of them affecting our success and/or failure.

I have done a little bit of research into how we can quantify the impact of each of these, with a specific focus on the captaincy and chips.

After all, the 2019/20 campaign will bring chip season to us much earlier than usual.

Liverpool and West Ham both have no fixture in Blank Gameweek 18 and could have a double-up of matches in a Double Gameweek very close to that.

Furthermore, the first-ever Premier League winter break in February will split one Gameweek across seven days, with five fixtures at one end of the week and five at the other.

Before I go any further, I just want to clarify that you should not take the numbers mentioned below as gospel, as there is only so much research that can be done on the subject.

I simply want to give my view and stimulating some interesting discussion for the Fantasy community to consider.

Playing FPL forces us to make several decisions each week, some of them high impact and others low impact.

For example, swapping a £4.5m defender based on upcoming clean sheet potential is a low impact decision, in my opinion.

You’d expect a 10 to 20 point swing on average over a period of four or five Gameweeks, I’d imagine.

Moving Mohamed Salah (£12.2m) to Sadio Mané (£12.2m) or Harry Kane (£10.8m) for a hit so that you can captain the Spurs man is a high impact decision.

This is where 10 to 20 point swings happen perhaps in one Gameweek alone.

I was recently talking about how this season has offered more big hitters than normal and setting your team up to switch through these by keeping set and forget players in your team could be a potentially good strategy. That way you are giving yourself the best chance to make high variance decisions week on week chasing the right captaincy hauls, although I appreciate this tactic is not for everyone.

In my opinion, the chips available to Fantasy managers are also of high impact across the course of the season, despite some disagreement on this issue.

I know some people who believe that the chips don’t matter too much as they influence only between two and three percent of our overall score at the end of the campaign.

However, I don’t see it that way, even if twice Triple Captaining Sergio Aguero (£11.9m) in a Double Gameweek, for a hat-trick each time, I might be guilty of bias in this area!

I will admit that it’s hard to disagree successful chip deployment only influences a small portion of your overall score.

Let’s assume that serious managers score somewhere between 2,200 and 2,300 points in a good season.

A great Triple Captain is probably worth 25 points (if you only choose to count the additional 25 points that the chip is giving you on top of a normal captain in a Double Gameweek).

A good Bench Boost should be worth around 20 to 25 points, so if you nail this chip and the Triple Captain that equates to roughly 50 additional points, admittedly a small amount numerically.

However, I don’t think assessing your Bench Boost and Triple Captain based on the percentage of your total score is the right way of looking at them, as you might unfairly downplay the importance of getting them right.

When you consider the concept of high and low impact decisions already discussed about strategy from week to week, you probably make a total of 140 to 150 of these in the whole campaign.

• Initial team (15) + 2 Wildcards (30) + 1 Free Hit (15) = 60 decisions
  • 38 captains = 38 decisions
  • When to play your Wildcards + 3 Chips = 5 decisions
  • Transfers over the season = 35 – 55 depending on your hit taking appetite (I made 50 odd last year)

A lot of these decisions are low impact ones. The high impact ones, in my opinion, would be all 38 captaincy decisions (your Double Gameweek captains in particular) and your chip choices.

Perhaps a better way of looking at the points generated from these decisions is not about your overall season score, but the impact they can have on rank.

After all, finishing as high as we possibly can in the world rankings is the most important aim for many of us.

I spoke to several people in the Fantasy community about how they got on in 2018/19 so I could get a general idea of how points correlated with rank last season.

• 2502 points – Rank 237
  • 2250 points – ~Rank 125k
  • 2150 points – ~Rank 500k

Each season, most of us hardcore managers will be aiming somewhere between the 2,250 and 2,500 point bracket.

That’s a difference of 250 points. This is the variance we should look at in my opinion.

On average, most seasons, the difference between all managers like us will probably be at a maximum of 250 points.

Keeping this in mind, let’s begin to attempt to quantify the impact of various decisions we make.

The first one we need to look at is captaincy. Last season, I scored 2,377 points, of which 573 of those were from the armband (24%). That’s quite a sizeable portion.

If you were to take these points out of the equation then I would guess that the difference between all serious managers would go down to about 150 to 200 points instead of 250.

So, to define the percentage impact a single decision makes, I think it’s better looking at it out of 250 points and not 2,300 points because that is the standard gap between most serious managers.

We had four Double Gameweeks last season, in 25, 32, 34 and 35. Here’s how I got on for the captaincy:

• GW25 – Aguero TC – 57 points
  • GW32 – Aguero – 20 points
  • GW34 – Lukaku – 4 points
  • GW35 – Sterling – 16 points

So the remaining captaincy total was 476 points spread over 34 rounds, an average of 14 points per single Gameweek. The average captain score per Double Gameweek for me last season was 24.3 points.

My own scores aren’t going to give exact impact variance but I am attempting to get a range of variance possible.

It must be said that 14 and 25 points respectively are not huge number when looking at your overall points but when you look at the 250 point range that exists for most serious FPL players, we are looking at a variance of 6% impact for single Gameweek captaincies and a 10% impact on Double Gameweeks.

You might argue that you already have the player that you are captaining in your team anyway but if you look at big hitter chasing to try getting the best captaincy hauls week on week, you’re looking at an impact of 5-7% in single Gameweeks and 9-11% in Double Gameweeks.

If you think about it, we actually pick that captain for 42 matches and not 38 in a four Double Gameweek season like last year.

This further elevates my view of the Triple Captaincy chip as well.

It eliminates a lot of skill in the game and makes things very luck dependant for one single decision out of 150 decisions you make in an FPL calendar year and it is one that in my opinion has the potential to be the highest impact decision you’ll make all year.

Just last year, I the Triple Captaincy on Aguero while my main mini-league rival went with Leroy Sané (£9.3m), who failed to deliver.

That led to a difference of 50 points. 50 points in the space of seven days. I was trailing him by exactly that much before the Double Gameweek and took the lead after it.

This was 50 points out of the 250 points bracket, which was a 20% variance impact that I had on my FPL team.

Yes, you could that you’re only adding one additional player to your team with the Triple Captaincy, but if you play it in the right week, you’re potentially getting two of them if he’s playing twice.

Furthermore, if you’re chasing in your mini-league getting lucky with a Triple Captain differential in a Double Gameweek is a very very potent weapon as it can make that 20% impact out of the overall variance that exists between serious managers.

Your Triple Captain decision is a combination of two decisions which is the use of the chip itself and the choice of captaincy.

These two decisions, out of a maxiMum of 150 in my opinion, is roughly 1.3% of choices you have to make across the course of the season – and they have the ability to cause that 20% variance. That is huge.

Mini-leagues and extreme rank variances can be caused by these decisions. That 50 point impact can be the difference between 10k and 40k in a season.

So trying to revisit and tabulate these decisions, here is a summary (the variance could be a much higher range):

• Captaincy decision – 5-7% variance amongst serious managers
  • Captaincy in a DGW – 9-12% variance amongst serious managers
  • TC in a DGW – 15-20% variance amongst serious managers

I think that is all I have to say on the matter for now. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong but I do find it interesting, enjoyed writing it, hope you enjoy reading it and look forward to discussing this with you.

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.

1. fusen
    1 year, 1 month ago

I like this sort of article.

I've come to appreciate over the last season or two how important every single point is.

Each yellow card, or missed bonus or (sort of obviously) disallowed goal really does add up.

A score of 45 vs 51 is a huge gap in a gameweek, that can move you hundreds of thousands of places.

When you keep having that week after week, those little 4-5 point gaps start to add up and you're suddenly 5th then 10th then 15th in your mini leagues.

To use an old footballer adage "points win games!", every single one of them.

1. KingOllie
      1 year, 1 month ago

Yep thats why i get extremely pssed off about the dodgey assist decisions made by FPL that happen every season

1. Brosstan
        1 year, 1 month ago

Yes.. and it's a joke when people claim it averages out over the season. It simply doesn't and plenty mini leagues will come down to dodgy VAR decisions

1. EMBOLOFAN
          1 year, 1 month ago

equally likely to go in your favour, over a long enough period of time it will even out in a sense

2. Pooodle
          1 year, 1 month ago

Unpopular opinion, but didn't VAR work quite well this weekend?

Ryan/Maddison owners lost out but there was encroachment by both teams (including the scorer) so a retake was correct. (Admission - I own Vardy)

The Sterling offside was incredibly tight and probably too close for an accurate replay, but I believe that the linesman flagged for offside and it was too close to overturn.

1 year, 1 month ago

This article actually tries to distill small edges into something we can quantify.

It just scratches the surface though on the complexity that is FPL. I've found myself tracking the flow of transfers and it's really interesting to see how often we get it wrong.

Even just my transfer history this year... Martial in GW3, out GW 4, back in GW 12. Son in GW 7, out GW 10, in GW14.

Lots of inefficiency. I've already punted and failed with Pepe, Son, Auba, Yarmolenko among the players that I've brought in. And yet, I'm doing pretty well, sat at 38K OR.

3. Pooodle
      1 year, 1 month ago

Completely agree. About 6 years ago I once lost a mini league by 2 points - we were level on at the end of the matches on the final gameweek and then my rival's team got 2 more bonus points.

The one really undervalued point is the clean sheet for midfielders. If a mid blanks but gets 3 points, that's actually not too bad - you would probably be happy if a player got returns twice over 3 weeks and a 1 point blank (e.g. 6, 5, 1) but probably unhappy if they blanked twice (e.g. 6, 3, 3,) but that's the same number of points.

4. Az
      1 year, 1 month ago

I've won a a mini league by 1 point, and lost a mini league by 1 point before (to Grant Barclay of all people)

Every point counts!

5. rojojojo
      1 year, 1 month ago

Starting to appreciate bonus much more. When you look at your score after matches and then check again after bonus all those 1 and 2s can add up and you can end your week on an extra 10-15 pojtns easily. If that's the case over a few weeks it makes a huge difference.

2. Lateriser 12
    1 year, 1 month ago

Hope you guys enjoyed this one. I certainly enjoyed writing this one.

1. The Rumour Mill
      1 year, 1 month ago

It was really enjoyable and interesting, cheers 🙂

What's the takeaway advice though, other than "be luckier"? 😉

1. Pukki Blinders
        1 year, 1 month ago

The advice is don't believe everything you hear in the rumour mill

1. The Rumour Mill

haha!

2. EMBOLOFAN
        1 year, 1 month ago

i think understanding the role of variance helps holistically with decision making, probably increases patience, fewer hits

2. EMBOLOFAN
      1 year, 1 month ago

thanks for this. fplreview’s season review tool is a good attempt to quantify week by week variance measured against bookies odds and xg

3. Little Red Lacazette

Great article.

3. Amey
    1 year, 1 month ago

After reading this, those missed points on bench hurts more 😀
    40 points swing easily for me !

4. Six Season Wonder
    1 year, 1 month ago

Do we think Tammy misses this weekends game?

If so, I may need to act and make a transfer (especially as I have Mount too who’s been benched last two Chelsea games) I feel like i need a stronger player On my bench

Here’s my options; (1.4m itb)

Janmaat or Rico > Aurier
    Mount > Martial

Pope
    TAA • Soy • Lund
    Mane(c) • Son • KDB • Mount
    Vardy • Tammy(i) • Ings
    ——-
    Subs: Button; Cantwl, Janmaat, Rico

1. theodosios
      1 year, 1 month ago

Hip injury isn't naive at all. He could miss midweek game also imo

2. The Rumour Mill
      1 year, 1 month ago

If you wait 12 hours Lampard will tell us lol. No need to rush into anything today 🙂

1. Six Season Wonder
        1 year, 1 month ago

I know but I’m off to Krakow early tomorrow and just like to have knowledge before.

1. theodosios

Be sure to try PIEROGI 😉

2. leo_messi
          1 year, 1 month ago

great town to visit,good luck

3. jayzico
      1 year, 1 month ago

Keeping regardless. Lose to much if I sell. And got the Lord coming in for him, so kinda hope he is out and sits on my bench

4. Pooodle
      1 year, 1 month ago

Mount to Pulisic looks very tempting for you with that money in the bank.

5. unitednations
    1 year, 1 month ago

Ffs, just cant decide my transfer plans with 2FT and 0m. thoughts?

Pope -- Heaton
    Taa Lundy Tomori -- RIco Lascelles
    Sterling Kdb Martial Mount -- Cantwell
    Vardy Tammy Rashy

A: Sterling + Tammy >> Mane + Jimmy
    B: Sterling + Mount + Rashford >> Mane + Pulisic + Jimmy (-4)
    C: Sterling + Lascelles >> Son + Robbo and keep tomori 1st sub for the busy period
    D; Something else

6. KINGS
    1 year, 1 month ago

Who’s your captain this week?

1. Brosstan

Tammy (TC)

2. Dannywaz

Raheem sterling

3. drughi
      1 year, 1 month ago

Mane right now but kane if I get him

1 year, 1 month ago

Mane. And if I punt it will be on Son.

Everton's xGC is really discouraging for a Vardy (c). They don't concede many chances, and have by all accounts been quite unlucky.

1. Would Ed Woodward
        1 year, 1 month ago

Luckily Vardy doesn't need many chances although I don't think I'm capping him.

5. Pooodle
      1 year, 1 month ago

Mane. Easy to overthink it with lots of good fixtures this week but he's Liverpool's main attacker at the minute and they're playing Brighton.

6. Ze_Austin

Pulisic

7. Don Kloppeone
      1 year, 1 month ago

Did have it on Vardy but having just looked at the Defensive and xGC stats of EVE and BHA I have swiftly switched it to Salah with Vardy as VC.

Also have Mané but want to have some fun

1. Men in green tights
        1 year, 1 month ago

I'm on auba at the moment also Vardy as vc , have got mane too but think auba should get 2 goals and an assist this weekend but still plenty of time to change my mind as usual . Last week was an easy decision as it was Vardy
        Cheers

8. The_Fish
      1 year, 1 month ago

Vardy. But may switch to Mane.

1. pumpkinhead
      1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks for that - those the guy who said Vardy was due a rest is even more outrageous than you calling a potential injury.

1. pumpkinhead

Transfers were...

Bellerin + Abraham >
    Aurier + Firmino.

Captain who...? GTG...?

8. Niho992
    1 year, 1 month ago

Any news about Abraham today?

1. pumpkinhead
      1 year, 1 month ago

google my dude - presser is tomorrow

9. Six Season Wonder
    1 year, 1 month ago

Hi guys, I have 1FT; (1.4m itb) do you think it’s worth making any of these switches before deadline, or should I hold / save transfer?

Janmaat or Rico > Aurier
    Mount > Martial

Pope
    TAA • Soy • Lund
    Mane(c) • Son • KDB • Mount
    Vardy • Tammy(i) • Ings
    ——-
    Subs: Button; Cantwell, Janmaat, Rico

1. Pukki Blinders

I would wait

1. Six Season Wonder

I’m waiting for Tammy news

10. GloryManUnited
    1 year, 1 month ago

Could Ayew be a good punty 3rd striker the next 5-6 weeks?

1. Six Season Wonder
      1 year, 1 month ago

Of course. He is cheap and has good fixtures

2. KINGS

I’m more keen in Zaha

1. GloryManUnited

Agree but have 4 better playing Midfielders myself. As of now at least. Lol

Madd-KDB-Mane-Martial

3. Galza

I reckon so.
      Very nice price...

4. Pukki Blinders

Yep I would bring him in if I wasn't stuck with my front 3

11. Giggs Boson
    1 year, 1 month ago

These United youngsters are knocking it around with confidence.

1. Giggs Boson
      1 year, 1 month ago

JLingz with a good goal. Great play from Gomes.

1. pumpkinhead

lol

2. Brosstan

Lingard essential?

12. Team Cruel

OMG Lingard

1. Giggs Boson

Smashed it in from outside the box. Final product 😯

13. Zim0
    1 year, 1 month ago

The world is ending. Lingard scored

1. Ze_Austin

*December is coming

14. Boozernator

KDB to Lingard?

1. Zim0

Good transfer

15. Marc Jobling
    1 year, 1 month ago

Was all set to FINALLY bring Martial in for Cantwell, until Abraham's injury.

When replacing Abraham, I'm not sure which direction to go in - Kane, Rashford, Ings or Ayew?

1. theodosios

Kane

1 year, 1 month ago

I'm not planning to replace Abraham unless I hear he's gonna be out for an extended period of time. Wait until this time tomorrow to start formulating exit plans.

1. EMBOLOFAN

what price did you buy?

7.4m.

2. Pooodle

Same

3. KINGS

Ings. Very good fixtures

4. Galza
      1 year, 1 month ago

I’m taking a punt on Firmino.
      I owned him for his good spell earlier on in the season and I’m just hoping he can be that differential that sees me make a few gains over Xmas.
      None of my mini league rivals own him...

1. Eriksen Maestro
        1 year, 1 month ago

I am thinking the same, see below 🙂

16. RD
    1 year, 1 month ago

How did Salah played last night ??Rusty or Still niggling with his injuries?

1. theodosios
      1 year, 1 month ago

He is so close to brace, until the end of season he might do it

2. EMBOLOFAN
      1 year, 1 month ago

neither - lasted 90 but not really involved. napoli defended really well and liverpool looked tired

3. pumpkinhead
      1 year, 1 month ago

Rusty - but was good to get his legs back a bit before this gw.

4. Giggs Boson
      1 year, 1 month ago

I thought he was awful. Misplacing so many passes, and was tackled a few times.

Napoli gave Liverpool very little space though with their deep compact 442 though, so maybe a bit harsh to judge him in that game.

5. Brosstan

Looked shite

17. HurriKane
    1 year, 1 month ago

Where is the Faser Dude on FFS.? Couple of seasona ago he used to give accurate diagnosis on injured pllayers

1. The Rumour Mill
      1 year, 1 month ago

he's at the top of this page, first comment...

1. HurriKane
        1 year, 1 month ago

Ohh didnt know he changed his username

Did he gave a comment on Tammy. ?He's a known doctor by profession

1. The Fantasy Doctor
          1 year, 1 month ago

Takes high impact to fracture a hip/pelvis in young person. I doubt it’s fractured but could still miss the weekend but my feeling is will be back ‘soon’

18. Fred54

B : Son + Ings

1. KINGS

B by meters

2. Pukki Party

21. Thia6o
    1 year, 1 month ago

Keep the faith in Aubameyang this GW or swap to Kane already?

1. pumpkinhead
      1 year, 1 month ago

I would keep for Norwich but regardless of what he does I'd want rid.

1. HurriKane

Even a brace or hatty?

If so id give him Brighton and westham game

2. Galza
      1 year, 1 month ago

Last chance saloon for me!!

1. Galza
        1 year, 1 month ago

Loads of money to potentially play with tied up in him..

3. KLOPPS AND ROBBERS... the s…
      1 year, 1 month ago

With the uncertainty at Arsenal and the certainty at Spurs, make that move.

22. Coys96

Which moves?

1. Abraham -> Batshuayi/Ings (free)
    2. KdB + Abraham -> Zaha + Kane (-4). (Would leave me with no City and double Spurs attack)
    3. KdB + Abraham -> Pulisic + G.Jesus (-4)

1. ChickenTikkaMoSalah
      1 year, 1 month ago

I would take Abraham out. It’s been confirmed as only a bruise, so he should only be out for a week. No point in switching him out

1. ChickenTikkaMoSalah

Wouldn’t *

2. soup natsi
        1 year, 1 month ago

He said he hopes it's just a bruise

3. Pulisic + Firmino

1 year, 1 month ago

Assuming he's out. If not, scrap everything.

3. Coys96

Thanks all

23. ChickenTikkaMoSalah

Going with Salah captain this week. 5 returns in 4 games vs Brighton

1. Don Kloppeone
      1 year, 1 month ago

Also have the armband on him currently... also have Mané and Vardy.

Feeling ballsy!

1. ChickenTikkaMoSalah

Same!

2. Holmes

Yay!

3. Amey

Happy owning him.
      Will go with Vardy

1. Don Kloppeone

Borrriinngg 😉

In all seriousness though have you seen EVE's xGC stats? Who'd have thought they were looking so good defensively!

1. Amey

Okay okay
          Mane !!!

1. Don Kloppeone

He’s a v solid choice.

And prob who I should pick but Salah is calling to me!

1. Amey

Ha ha
              Switched to Mane 🙂

4. Would Ed Woodward
      1 year, 1 month ago

He has a nice record vs Bournemouth and Watford too in the upcoming games, the problem looking past games for Salah though is how much of it is skewed from his amazing season?

24. GloryManUnited

Pope
    VVD-Soy-Tomori-Lord Lund
    Mane-KDB-Martial-Maddison
    Vardy-Kane (C)

Button-Williams-CHO-Connolly

With Tammy potentially being out, do we think CHO may be worth holding on a wait and see basis?

25. soup natsi
    1 year, 1 month ago

If you could keep only one of Salah and KdB on a WC which one choose?

KdB. Cheaper.

1. theodosios

Is that Ana Ivanovic? 😀

1 year, 1 month ago

It is. I've been using this grav for so long I can't be bothered to change it. People on this site know me by it too at this point. 9 years. Geez.

1. theodosios
            1 year, 1 month ago

She was our princess until she became ... well, what she is today

1 year, 1 month ago

She just didn't fulfill her potential. Happens all the time. Novak Djokovic was the prince that was promised in the end.

2. theodosios
      1 year, 1 month ago

It depends on the rest of the team (attacking part)

3. ChickenTikkaMoSalah
      1 year, 1 month ago

Depends what you’d do with the extra cash

26. TAB

pick one

a) maddison to son
    b) martial to son
    c) keep and play maddison + martial + save FT

1. Galza
      1 year, 1 month ago

Save, although B is very tempting...

2. Holmes

C

3. JBG

C

28. Woy_is_back
    1 year, 1 month ago

Reality check for Lingard, playing with a bunch of 19 year olds. He's probably off in next Summer.

1. Galza

He’s only 19 himself...

2. Holmes

Who will buy him! 😆

29. Eriksen Maestro

Hey lads which option:
    SV on Tammy: 7.6M

A) Tammy => Jesus (-4)

B) Tammy => Firmino (-4)

C) Keep Tammy, start Hayden & Hope Tammy fit for Villa.

1. AzzaroMax99
      1 year, 1 month ago

Keep him and play him. That is what I am going to do.

2. Galza
      1 year, 1 month ago

I’d definitely choose Firmino over Jesus.
      I managed to bring Firmino in for free though and I’m not sure if I’d want do a -4 for it.
      Depends on how long you intend to keep Firmino for. If it’s long term, then it could be worth it...