Pro Pundit Teams

How to cope with the highs and lows of this unpredictable FPL season

With so much uncertainty in Fantasy Premier League (FPL) right now, I think it is important to highlight that every season has rough and smooth moments.

I have certainly had my fair share of both so far and it will probably be helpful for you if I expand on the impact they had on my decision-making process.

After three green arrows in a row, I got a small red in Gameweek 17, which still leaves me very close to the top 10,000, so I really can’t complain about how things have gone so far. In fact, last season my overall ranking was around 600K after the festive period so I’m really happy that i managed to massively improve my mid-season ranking after struggling in the first half of 2019/20.

Both my captain Harry Kane (£11.0m) and his teammate Son Heung-min (£9.8m) justified my decision to put them in my wildcard team despite no double Gameweek for Tottenham. Delivering a total of 37 points against Leeds United, the Spurs duo basically carried my team in an otherwise disappointing showing from the rest of my players.

Since I’m going to activate my Free Hit chip in Gameweek 18, saving my free transfer was never an option, otherwise it would be lost as per the FPL rules. I considered selling Fabian Balbuena (£4.4m) after his no-show at St. Mary’s Stadium but, given the lack of decent alternatives, I decided to keep him, hoping he would regain his spot at the centre of West Ham’s defence in their trip to Goodison Park.

However, David Moyes had other plans and, after two clean sheets in a row for the Hammers, Balbuena doesn’t seem to be nailed anymore and he will certainly be one of the weakest spots in my team ahead of the double Gameweek.

Since I was fairly happy with the rest of my squad, I decided to buy Ollie Watkins (£6.1m) for the third time this season (more on that later) and sell Che Adams (£6.1m).

Even though I still consider Adams to be a decent option, I was a bit worried about Southampton’s attacking rotation now that Danny Ings (£8.3m) is back. At the same time, Watkins’ underlying numbers are considerably better than Adams’ and he always seems to play 90 minutes at the frontline of one of the most impressive attacking teams in the Premier League so far.

Despite his blank at Old Trafford, he keeps getting good chances to score and, with two great home matches in the Double Gameweek, I’m hoping he will finally live up to his potential.

MY SEASON’S ROUGHS AND SMOOTHS

Having almost reached mid-season and with the festive period already behind us, I think it’s a good time to look back and try to identify the success stories and the failures of my season so far and, hopefully, learn something from it. Let’s start with the bad news first:

ROUGHS

TIMO WERNER

Timo Werner (£9.2m) was one of the first names in my pre-season draft as soon as I knew he was priced at £9.5m. Having seen the levels he reached playing for RB Leipzig, there was no doubt in my mind that he would take the Premier League by storm, especially with a kind run of fixtures to start the season.

Even after a couple of poor performances from him, I wrote in my articles about my blinding faith that he would come good eventually. Well, that didn’t happen. I kept him in my team for the first twelve Gameweeks, until it became obvious that several other options were doing better for considerably less money.

He still averaged 4.8 points per match for me, which isn’t horrible but I was hoping for much more from someone who I thought would be almost essential in everyone’s team sooner or later.

I mostly blame Frank Lampard for this failure but I also blame myself for not cutting ties with him sooner than I did. There is a fine line between patience and stubbornness in FPL and I think it’s important to learn to identify which is which.

TRENT ALEXANDER-ARNOLD

If someone had told me in pre-season that the Liverpool right-back would score a mere 21 points in the first eight Gameweeks, I would have had a hard time believing it. But Trent Alexander-Arnold (£7.3m) only delivered an assist and one clean sheet until he got injured and sold ahead of Gameweek 9.

Despite these shocking returns from someone who used to be one of the best value picks in FPL, I don’t think I made a mistake in holding him and, before his injury, I was even planning to keep him as a differential for as long as possible.

After all, he is still one of the most attacking full-backs in the league and plays for one of the strongest teams, even if the absence of Virgil van Dijk (£6.3m) means a severe hit in Liverpool’s clean sheet potential.

I went  without him on my Wildcard due to lack of funds (investment in expensive midfielders and forwards seems crucial right now) but I’m sure he will be back in my team sooner rather than later.

OLLIE WATKINS

As I mentioned above, Watkins is in my team for the third time already this season. Postponed matches and sudden double Gameweek announcements were the main factor for so much indecision from me but, at the same time, he is probably one of the most frustrating assets I have owned in several FPL seasons.

In the six Gameweeks I had Watkins in my team, he missed a penalty and countless chances to score, he had two disallowed goals due to marginal offsides spotted by VAR and still managed to deliver a double-digit haul after assisting three times against Crystal Palace.

For some reason, his body language doesn’t convince him yet and he is clearly lacking confidence in front of goal but priced at 6.1 million, nailed for 90 minutes and playing as the striker in a Jack Grealish team, I’m willing to be patient/stubborn with him for a bit longer.

SMOOTHS

SON HEUNG-MIN

The highest-scoring player in the game is the only one to be in my starting eleven in every Gameweek so far. Considerably underpriced in comparison with other expensive midfielders and rested in most Europa League matches, I never really found a reason to sell Son, not even in my recent wildcard.

His underlying expected numbers are not as good as some of the other more expensive options but Son is probably one of the most clinical finishers in the world. He has been crushing xG models for fun in the last four seasons and every time i see him preparing to shoot, I already know the likelihood of it being a goal is very high.

It’s likely I will have to sell him for Kevin De Bruyne (£11.7m) in the Double Gameweek though but it will certainly be more of a see you soon than a goodbye.

STUART DALLAS

After so many hours trying to figure out which of Stuart Dallas (£4.8m) or Luke Ayling (£4.5m) would be the best pick among Leeds defenders, it’s really nice to see that wasted time paying off. I knew there was a chance Dallas could play a few games out of position and his attacking output was excellent whenever he played as a central midfielder in the Championship.

At the same time, I noticed that Ayling played quite a few games as a centre-back, which would hurt his average expected points if Marcelo Bielsa decided to go that route again this season.

Alongside Son, Dallas is the only player I still have in my squad since Gameweek 1 and it’s fair to say he has been a success story. Even though I only had him eight times in my starting eleven, he managed to average 4.8 points per start in my team. To put it in perspective, that was Werner’s average too and the Chelsea forward was more than twice as expensive as Dallas at the start of the season.

SOUTHAMPTON DEFENSIVE DOUBLE-UP

After watching the Saints conceding five goals against Tottenham in Gameweek 2 in shocking fashion, I seriously regretted starting the season with both Alex McCarthy (£4.7m) and Kyle Walker-Peters (£4.8m).

However, by Gameweek 15, Southampton accumulated six clean sheets and both of them averaged over four points per game started in my team, which is more than enough for such budget-friendly options.

This successful decision legitimates even more my long-time strategy of picking players based on their individual merit only, even if it sometimes means a defensive double-up.

It may increase variance but what really matters is expected value and, often, the best defensive picks belong to the same team, because fixtures are such an important part of defenders expected points.

FREE HIT PLANS

With a full FA Cup round still to be played and a few matches in risk of being postponed, I haven’t started tinkering with my Free Hit team just yet. However, it seems likely that tripling up in Arsenal, Manchester United and Man City is the way to go for anyone who will use this chip in Gameweek 18.

I’m sure the usual suspects Bruno Fernandes (£11.3m) and De Bruyne will be in almost everyone’s teams and Arsenal offers some decent cheap enablers such as Kieran Tierney (£5.4m) or Bukayo Saka (£5.3m) but all it takes is one injury or one cancelled match to change our plans, so I prefer to wait until next week to try to field the best Free Hit team I possibly can.

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99. A FREE trial is now available during December.

1. Steve The Spud

If Covid and fpl has taught us one thing it’s that as humans we love certainty and hate uncertainty!

1. Rupert The Horse

I hear that.

2. Black Knights

Yeah I don’t mind games being off - it comes with the territory.

I’d just love some clarity on villa v spurs and/or spurs v Fulham so we can actually make a plan.

3. FFS Ultras are for Kinnear

Only death is certain.

1. Eh, just one more thing ...

And a Man U penalty

1. hueycho

And taxes and insurance

4. thegaffer82

I'm hoping for the certainty of a 'circuit breaker' to be brought in before GW18. Then I can save my chips and we will (hopefully) get the full roster of games for 18 & 19 in a couple of weeks time.

Although, I would miss football in the meantime.

5. Olson

That's why fantasy football is so addictive. It has just the right balance of skill/chance in that over time skill will typically be rewarded up to a point, but chance can never be eradicated and the more skilful you become the finer the margins become and harder it is to beat. By which time you are a hopeless addict who has sunk half your line into it and don't know how to relate to everyday people

1. Steve The Spud

Haha, another cheerful post from yourself

1. Olson

haha. I'm very chipper this morning. I have a habit of not using punctuation marks or lols of whatever that indicate I am chucking at the funny side of this, and in this case it probably doesn't help. lol

1. Olson

chuckling*

2. JOELIO8701

Olsen I hear you!

6. Ginkapo FPL

Not strictly true. We also hate 100% certainty. We get bored and depressed

2. thegaffer82

My GW18 & 19 team is in tatters if, as expected, Spurs v Villa is called off and then Villa v Everton is called off too.

My new thinking is about how to get through this period with using as few a chips as possible whilst still maximising the BGW-DGW.

The only way I can see to get through this while satisfying the above, is to use WC this week (and maybe TC in 19). It absolutely blows of course! I'd have done so much differently if I'd have known I would play my WC this week, but these are all sunk costs now and it's time to move forward on a new plan.

What are others doing who had planned to get through this period without playing FH or WC?

1. Daniel - WC Active

WC is better in FH in your case. I will do hits or WC in your case.

2. Flair

Not worrying about it until the day before because it's a waste of time planning in this climate.

1. Daniel - WC Active

you have to have potential options otherwise you end up buying el Ghazi just before the deadline. don't ask how I know 😉

2. 'Broadsword Calling Da…

This

3. Black Knights

A lot now depends on Spurs for me. I have 2 villa, 3 spurs, and 7 DGWers if villa become a SGW19.

If spurs v Fulham moves into 18, I’ll field 10 there and then play my spurs with my DGWers in 19 no biggy. Bench Villa.

If Spurs don’t have anything in 18, I’ll FH and proceed with my spurs and DGWers in 19.

I have 2FTs so if Spurs get any game in 18, I can get through with no chip.

1. thegaffer82

I'm in a similar spot, where I could get by if Spurs get a GW18 fixture.

But, I just don't see any way the Fulham game gets moved to GW18. So as for planning, I'm not holding out any hope for this eventuality.

Plan for the worst (Spurs v Villa & Villa v Everton both off - no Spurs v fulham in GW18), hope for the best!

1. Black Knights

I was encouraged to hear someone suggest that Mou would keen keen to take Fulham on the Tuesday. Fulham would still get their 3 days rest before Friday and, although Spurs would play Sunday-Tuesday, he could play kids on Sunday so first team would be rested.

They’ve got a terrible pile up as it is, no reason Fulham would object (you’d hope), so if Spurs can apply pressure, maybe it can happen?

1. SHOOTER MCGINN

Spurs being forced into a fixture pile up due to other teams problems doesn't seem fair. 100% logical to move the Fulham game to that week. Otherwise I'll save my triple captain for Kane in their quadruple gameweek

3. Daniel - WC Active

Thank you for voting!
    Play the Free Hit regardless
    45.22% (1,164 votes)

Tackle BGW18 with free transfers (no hit)
    23.7% (610 votes)

Tackle BGW18 with free transfers (one hit)
    16.24% (418 votes)

Tackle BGW18 with free transfers (two or more hits)
    6.92% (178 votes)

Play the Wildcard
    4.86% (125 votes)

Only play the Free Hit if my team sustains injuries
    2.33% (60 votes)

Play the Triple Captain
    0.73% (19 votes)

1. Daniel - WC Active

Congrats to those lads playing the TC 😉 It could work, who knows 😉

Joke aside I am thinking two or more hits if the Villa game is off or WC.

What are you doing?

1. Black Knights

The problem is I got Martinez and Grealish at their lowest prices so selling them now when I’ll want them back for 3 DGWs isn’t really an option. But then it doesn’t give me much flexibility in negotiating the BGW without a chip either if I keep them. Tricky spot.

1. Daniel - WC Active

it doesn't matter trust me. I have Son for 9 and now he is 9.8

I will sell him and get Rashford since Rashford has 3 games and Son has 1.

Rashford will rise and will get me money too and Son will probably fall again so in practice it is 0.2 or 0.3m most of the time, not worth the extra 20-40 pts potential IMO. I always sell and don't care about preserved value since the game is not that simple. You have to take into account future price changes as well, not only the ones in the time when you are doing them

Cheers,

1. Black Knights

That’s true. No doubt with 2 cancellations, Jack will drop in value 0.2 - 0.4 and I can bring him back on a WC before the doubles.

4. Daniel - WC Active

Anyone still doing the BB next GW or it is too risky because of potential postponements?

1. thegaffer82

BB is one chip I can guarantee I won't be playing in 19 no matter what I do (FH/WC or just FT's).

TC is still likely for GW19 though, but I'll defintely decide closer to the time

2. FFS Ultras are for Kinnear

Good question. Probably safe to save it until later at the current rate

3. kennethrhcp

i was set on it but depending on a few things (injuries/covid) i may just save bb & with strong 11 & an ok bench & not take a few hits

4. Ron_Swanson

Too risky I think. I’ll TC in 19 just for the craic

1. Daniel - WC Active

Even TC is risky. There will be more doubles this week. I might not play any chip in GW 19. 20% TC, 70% no chip, and 10% BB

If Forster is nailed on for 2 games in the double I will consider BB

5. aleksaa2

Save it for the next DGW, I assume it's GW26.

1. Daniel - WC Active

but will need to carry an extra load on our benches for too long, now it is easier to clean that mess.

6. Black Knights

Seems far too risky now.

1. Flynny

I would very much like to play it - but feel like chances are getting smaller.

I'll have to take a - 8 and could field 15 dgw or 13 plus martinet and Watkins if 1 villa game off.

With 3 Leeds, West ham, double City etc, I'm not sure there will be a better time to play it this season???

1. Black Knights

See I don’t even like the idea of taking hits at the moment. Imagine taking a -8 then another club gets an outbreak and all of a sudden you’re only fielding 12 players in total?

1. Flynny

Yes totally get that.

It would only have been a - 4 until balbuena got dropped

The players I'd bring in for the - 8 all have big upside though. Kdb antonio and maybe cancelo..

1. Flynny

And these outbreaks going to occur all season.

1. KAPTAIN KANE

Should be more acceptable once most of the vulnerable all frontline are all vaccinated

2. Black Knights

Yeah like you say, there’s a risk associated any time so I see the logic of doing it when you have cheap Leeds, whu assets that make fielding a strong 15 easier.

I still have my WC so I’m hoping to use a BB in conjunction with that in the future, but get why it suits some now.

7. drughi

Yeah think I will go through with the plan of FH 18 and BB gw 19. Have 13 dgw players plus son and dier(will be cancelo) atm so no better time. Saving TC for Son or Kane when they get their double.

1. Daniel - WC Active

aren't you afraid of postponements?

1. drughi

Can happen ofc but what can you do really, its a crazy season and you have to have some luck. Overthinking can bite you too

8. J ⚒ Salah & Vinagre

I’m going for it 100%. I’m sticking to my plans.

Covid will be around for most of the year so whenever you use it, a game could be effected.

Whilst everyone thinks it’s too risky, I’ll hopefully enjoy a big gameweek!

High risk high reward!

1. Flynny

Either way going to be a late decision depending on villa.

Other options include fielding a strong 11 dgw players with kdb triple captain.

Or no chip at all.

1. J ⚒ Salah & Vinagre

I’m honestly sticking to my guns in this one and hoping for the best!

2. Daniel - WC Active

Brave, brave, brave move. You know in spring things will be better. vaccine and stuff. better weather too.

1. Daniel - WC Active

reply to salah and vinagre

2. Flynny

I've spent the last month crafting my squad for bb in 19 without butchering my squad somehow

Aiming for bb again later in the season going to cost multiple transfers no doubt and I think unless it really is impossible I'd like to go through with it gw19.

3. J ⚒ Salah & Vinagre

Look at it another way, in the later dgws rotation is a killer with champs league etc anyway.....

You can be worried that a game gets postponed and not play the bb, but if I get lucky and none of my games are called off then I am absolutely flying in gw19.....

I’m chasing in my mini league, so see this as a potential opportunity for big gains..... worst case scenario I waste my bench boost, who cares, I’ve never got a lot from it in recent years anyway.

9. G-Whizz

Not for me...

10. wulfranian

I will use it only if Charlie Taylor is fit.

1. Daniel - WC Active

Taylor is the key decision?

1. wulfranian

My bench players are not so strong(Taylor,Johnstone,Wood,Balbuena) and i will take a hit to get in Kdb so i want 4 players that will play.

11. Steve The Spud

Still planning to go for it, yolo

1. Daniel - WC Active

so it is undecisive. it will be a super interesting season though

12. KAPTAIN KANE

Things should be a lot more stable come GW26 so will probably use it then

1. KAPTAIN KANE

BB that is, TC I may use though ideally I want to use that on Kane/Son when they have a double.
        So quite likely I’ll use no chips at all over GW18/19

13. Yes Ndidi

Still very much on to BB19. I've got no Villa and only Son & DCL from either of their affected games, and they were going to become Watkins (now Antonio maybe) & Sterling for 19 anyway, giving me the full 15DGW.
      I don't have to decide yet though, thankfully. I think there are other curveballs to come

1. Daniel - WC Active

hot topic alert scouts

1. KAPTAIN KANE

Juhuuuu

14. HollywoodXI

I’m still going fit it and will hope luck is on my side. I am on WC this week so I want to at least try and maximise the opportunity. If games get cancelled then I’ve wasted my BB but tbh I’ve never really had much success with it anyway.

15. FPL.team

Still playing it. I have 15 DGWers and I don't want to hold all that value on my bench after GW19. If there are postponements then it is what it is.

5. g40steve

Pool really need couple of decent defenders as back up, last night Neco W was done good & proper by a 17 year old!

1. FFS Ultras are for Kinnear

Klopp will persist with putting midfielders at CB

2. GreennRed

He'll learn.

1. FFS Ultras are for Kinnear

This is the same guy who used Steven Caulker as a striker

1. GreennRed

Neco?

1. FFS Ultras are for Kinnear

Klopp

1. GreennRed

I was talking about Neco.

1. FFS Ultras are for Kinnear

I was talking about Klopp

3. kennethrhcp

if they... at what level? top top CB to partner VVD or someone just good enough to fight with gomes & matip?

1. kennethrhcp

if they do

4. aleksaa2

Aren't Lpool in talks to sign Botman from Lille?

6. Daniel - WC Active

5:0 and 7:2

7. Flynny

Can I have some views on the best dgw 19 defender up to 6.9m, who is not dias, dallas or west ham?

Is the best bet cancelo? Concerned with walker back he becomes rotation risk again.

Maybe chilwell?? Would need to fit into this back line.

Martinez Johnstone
    Robbo dias xxx coufal dallas

Thanks

1. Inazuma X1

Stones

1. Flynny

Cheers.....is he totally nailed with laporte in the picture??

Or is laporte not in the picture??

1. Inazuma X1

Laporte is injured

2. GreennRed

Castagne.

3. Snooze ya lose

Cancelo

4. tomasjj

Cancelo or Stones.

8. drughi

Anyone have any info or good prediction on adams and mccarthy for dgw 19 ?

1. aleksaa2

Adams was in a concussion protocol for the last game. He is g2g. About Mccarthy, I guess it only depends on the negative tests.

1. drughi

cheers

2. Jimmers

With Forster's clean sheet v Liverpool, Hasenhuttl now possibly has a decision to make....

1. drughi

you think so, mccarthy has been very good this season

1. Skonto Rigga

Aye, McCarthy is straight back in providing illness/fitness isn't an issue. Forster's kicking is abysmal and he was flapping at everything.

2. sunzip14

Decision to make? Faced just 1 shot on target the whole game, that too was a fairly easy one...

9. Olson

What other things have gone from a fairly niche pursuit to a global phenomenon on this scale in an order of magnitude in the space of twenty odd years? I remember Skinner and Baddiel bringing the game into the mainstream in the nineties but even going back to the turn of the century when I think the telegraph still dominated the game, there were only 200-300,000 teams (almost all UK I suspect) and that wasn't even unique managers. Now there are 8m managers globally

1. Olson

Incidentally, poor old telegraph game. They have been limping along a bit for years and this year they had a typically botched revamp of their terrible app and website and it caused all sorts of persistent user problems. And now their decision to stick to the original format of no bench, no chips, finite transfers has been even more brutally dismantled by covid than has FPL

2. Steve The Spud

Reminds me of a few of the classic MMO style video games, lots of grind and played over a long period, small luck/gambling element, sense of community

More addictive than crystal meth

1. GreennRed

You're taking the wrong meth.

2. Olson

In the 80/90 before online communities and games really took off, people played fantasy/adventure games by post. By. Post

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Back then of course mail was less likely to take a month to arrive or just vanish though

3. KAPTAIN KANE

8m still quite low really too! Will only grow 🙂

4. drughi

I'm from sweden and remember a collegue saying there was a fantasy game for premier league in like 08 and we created a work league in the season 09/10. Loved it from the start and it is amazing how big it has become since then. Now basically everybody knows what fpl is and so many are playing. In sweden this season it is 120k plus teams, remember it was like 30-40k not to long ago

5. thegaffer82

My arse 8 million.

Obviously I don't know how many ACTUAL players for sure. But I do know many managers have multiple teams and there are a f**k load of teams created for the purpose of making money in the game, or seeing if they can get a number 1 GW rank and things like this.

1. Olson

Yeah I suspect it is probably a total unique managers between 4-6m

6. Black Knights

Pokémon Go went the opposite way. I still play it but it seemed like it took over the world in summer ‘18, then has disappeared from public consciousness completely.

I’d never even seen a Pokemon before getting that app so can’t even blame it on nostalgia. Now I need to explain to my missus that I need to leave her and our baby for a couple of hours once a month to go play a game collecting made up animals.

1. Danno - Emre Canada

Supposedly I’ve got a Pokemon gym in my front garden

Ha I’ve enjoyed watching the growth of FPL to one person their Friday night date to almost everyone on their phones sorting out their last minutes transfers/captain haha

1. Black Knights

Ha yeah it’s really grown so much. Before you might know the odd person at work that could make a league for 15-20 colleagues who stopped playing by November. Now I have WhatsApp groups just for it.

10. Dark Side Of The Loon!

Decided to take a hit and field 7 in BGW18. Who is the best Kane replacement only for 1 GW? Will become Vardy in 19.

Thanks!

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Laca maybe

1. Dark Side Of The Loon!

Yes. I think the other options are Jesus, Martial and DCL.

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Jesus and Tony potentially more explosive (potentially nothing too). Actually, Dom might be a good choice after a bit of a rest and with Digne seemingly now fit.

1. Dark Side Of The Loon!

Need to nail it. Fielding 7 and taking a hit; would want decent returns to cover all of that. Difficult.

2. Snooze ya lose

Laca?

3. tomasjj

Laca, or DCL.

4. beetlejuice

Laca, Wilson, Martial in this order

5. Dark Side Of The Loon!

11. Ginola

It still makes sense to wait with activating FH chip in the current Covid situation right?

1. Dynamic Duos

The situation is going to be the same any week you play it

1. KAPTAIN KANE

Even in GW29?

1. Dynamic Duos

Covid is going nowhere anytime soon

1. KAPTAIN KANE

Yeah but by then think of all the vulnerable and frontline workers vaccinated.

2. Ginola

But when for example City and Spurs matches get called off I don’t think I want to play it. Or am I the only one who haven’t activated the chip and plans to play it out here?

1. elwardio

In same boat. Will almost definitely wc as things stand but will wait till Monday at least to see if any more changes to fixtures

2. Jon Walter's Hatty

Pure guesswork on playing chips in 18/19 Could be a masterstroke or a big error pending on Covid timings. For example if you got a boatload of points in 18/19 then they shut down for weeks you are quids in. But high risk high reward.

1. Eastman

Don‘t think fixtures are great gw18 to warrant a fh but you never know.

3. Snooze ya lose

I did last night

12. Inazuma X1

West Ham is looking to sign Nketiah

1. Steve The Spud

Might actually be a decent signing

2. Right In The Stanchion

Happy to let him go there on loan.

• Fulchester's New Centr…

Eddie's problem seems to be actually scoring goals though

1. Whazza

5 in 1000 minutes isn't too shabby imo

1. aleksaa2

Interseting stat about his goals: Eddie Nketiah scored his 11th goal for Arsenal at a distance of just over nine yards, which sees the average distance of those goals soar to 5.4 yards on average.

2. Fulchester's New Centr…

Perhaps I'm being harsh.
            View is coloured by seeing him play live about a year ago for Leeds and get hooked at half-time for being so toothless.

3. tambourineman

Everton starting XI: Olsen, Coleman, Godfrey, Keane, Digne, Gomes, Davies, Iwobi, Gordon, Rodriguez, Tosun

Substitutes: Lossl, Holgate, Sigurdsson, Mina, Doucoure, Nkounkou, Bernard, Branthwaite, Simms

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiigne

Interesting

2. Daniel - WC Active

Hope DCL finally scores a brace. He is differential now

1. drughi

50% ownership in the top 10k

2. thegaffer82

Yeah, let him fill his boots for the cup...

keep up his drought in the PL 🙂

3. El Presidente

Hardly a differential

3. The 12th Man

Ellis Simms on the bench. Hope he gets some time.

4. Danno - Emre Canada

At least Ancelotti practices what he preaches. Day off for jDCL, Richarlison and Pickford

4. AC Yew

GW18 team with a fixture:

Cancelo Dier Stones
      Fernandes Son
      DCL.

2 FT - open to taking a hit. Which 2/3 players would you prioritize to bring in.
      Thinking Salah to KDB. Please dont suggest a FH as happy to wing it this week - have no expectations!

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Difficult to say without knowing anymore, but a bit more Arsenal probably not a bad thing.

2. Thia6o

KDB/Rashy

3. Snooze ya lose

Kdb, Wilson?

4. elwardio

Kdb

5. Finding Timo

All, is the villa v spurs game v doubtful & any others? I will have to decide very soon about whether to play FH as worried price changes ?!

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Villa v Spurs is almost certainly off but not officially yet.
          I would wait, but if your heart is set on FH and worried about prices then get risers in now surely.

2. Jimmers

Has to be a very small chance of it going ahead.

3. elwardio

Prices aren’t gonna change that much between now and Monday would just mean have one decent option instead of a slightly better decent option. Eg stones instead of cancelo. Wait and see IMO

• Dynamic Duos

Tottenham get a bye in FA cup?

1. Jon Walter's Hatty

They can play their kids v Marine and have a good chance of winning

• tommo1989

Are there any updates on Fabianski?

1. Jon Walter's Hatty

Some insiders say he will make the double but its a risky move

1. tommo1989

Ok thanks. I brought him in ahead of the last GW and he got injured in the warm up then my sub keeper McCarthy got covid

2. Snooze ya lose

Heard he’s training

• Thia6o

I can field this 10 man team! So I am ready to save chips as this season seems to be filled with surprises.

G2G Y/N?
        Leno
        Mitchell Dias
        Fernandes KDB Son McTominay
        Kane DCL

Martinez/Dallas/Chilwell/Bamford/Justin

1. drughi

spurs villa most likely off so you are down to 7 playing and 2 off them are mitchell and mctominay so expect a fat red arrow

1. Thia6o

Not what I wanted to hear, but hey thankyou for your honesty. Good luck.

2. Thia6o

In your professional opinion and going with the advise you just gave, would you go WC this GW?

1. Black Knights

You have a lot lined up for the double so can you just FH this week and revert for the DGW19?

2. drughi

could go with wc but you are pretty good shape for dgw 19 so could also FH

1. drughi

I prefer saving wildcard for somewhere around gw 25-26 when all dgw and such will be clearer

2. Thia6o

Many Thanks for replies, will give it the weekend then make a decision funds not an issue at the moment. Looks like I will FH with the information given.

2. Salarrivederci

Hmm.

I think you'll manage to come through this week, but your problems starts again in DGW19 then.

Goalkeepers GW19:
          Martínez will most likely not play against Everton, and not sure you want him for City.
          Leno only one match.

Defense:
          Dallas, Chilwell, Justin and Dias looks good (many will double on CIty defenders though)

Midfield:
          Who is your fifth midfielder?
          Otherwise looks pretty good. McTominay a bit meh, and no Liverpool could hurt.

Attack:
          DCL might not even have a match next GW

1. Salarrivederci

Your squad is weakened both this week and the next - I think WC is a decent option (I am doing it I think).
            The FT's between 19 and 26 trying to prepare for BB-team.
            FH for BGW29
            TC whenever Spurs gets a good DGW or hand it to KDB/Bruno next GW

2. Thia6o

Neto 5th mid sorry, and was looking at Kane>Ings + Son>Salah dgw19
            Thankyou very much for the breakdown.

3. Snooze ya lose

V gd if spurs game is on

• Eastman

Best striker for the next 3 weeks?

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Of the teams that play all three Kun if you are feeling wild, Tony a bit more sensible and Chris Wood if 3 x 90 mins is important

2. tomasjj

Vardy.

3. Snooze ya lose

Vardy

4. Steager

Cavani? Well rested, plays all three, good price

• balint84

Antonio or Coufal in dgw fron west ham?

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

Both, Couf for minutes
          Nketiah?

2. Snooze ya lose

Couf

• Pepeye

Guys lump om Gundogan. City are wanting to play him every time and he has been moved up to create more chances.Price excellent

1. Fulchester's New Centr…

With no City forwards worth having you might be right, but at a similar price to their defenders I'd rather have one of those.

2. tomasjj

He is on form.
          I thought about Thiago, who is back now.

3. Snooze ya lose

Has looked v sharp

• tomasjj

Not sure about Richarlison - suggestions? DCL?
        Another small shuffle?

FH team

DDG
        Tierney, Dias, Cancelo
        KDB (c), Bruno, Saka, Rashford
        Wilson, Lacazette, Richarlison

Guaita, Neves, Kilman,Mitchell

Cheers!

1. drughi

Nice team, will probably go with something similar. Depends on rank regarding dcl/richarlison. I will probably go with dcl as its safer where im at

1. tomasjj

Thanks! DCL could be on. Will go with the gut closer to the deadlineI think.
            Then again, things might happen before that 🙂

2. ivantys

Your bench should be all fodders no need Guaita, Neves and Kilman. I had a draft of 3 city, 3 united, 3 arsenal plus wilson and pickford which I'll probably wait till the day before to get activated and then I'll be priced off that day lol.

1. tomasjj

I was there, but thought, why not be safe in these times.

1. ivantys

Don't think Guaita's getting anything here, could just make it a 4.0 then upgrade Neves to Neto? The wolves vs everton fixture is the one to target after those 3. DCL is better than Richal here, if you're ambitious can go Digne in defence.

1. tomasjj

Thank you!
                    I will see if I can get Neto. Also went with DCL.

2. Skonto Rigga

I dunno - I'd make it "playing" fodder at the very least, given the raft of postponements/possibility of post-deadline positive COVID tests.

1. tomasjj

Yes, this was what I landed on, after going with almost all fodder originally.

2. Snooze ya lose

Dcl

1. tomasjj

Cheers!

3. Dynamic Duos

2 m itb?

1. tomasjj

More like change - 0.3.

4. Snooze ya lose

Son essential imo

1. tomasjj

I moved away from Spurs due to uncertainty.
                Had Kane and Son originally.

• Snooze ya lose

First stab at fh team. Any gd subject to spurs villa postponement?

Leno (Sanchez)
            Dias, tierney, cancelo (saiss, Mitchell)
            Grealish, Bruno, Kdb, son, saka
            Wilson, Kane (Watkins)

1. tomasjj

Was in the same boat, see my team above.
              Switch to 3-4-3 maybe?

• Salarrivederci

Which of these 'upgrades' would you consider most important. Can only afford one of them in my WC team:

A: Dias > Stones
            B: Tierney > Holding
            C: Saka > Smith Rowe
            D: Salah > Mané (doing Rashford to one of them after GW18)

1. aleksaa2

1. aleksaa2

None, I thought Dier to Stones.

2. Snooze ya lose

None

3. tomasjj

None.

4. elwardio

Biggest differences out of those picks for me are
              Salah over mane
              and
              Tierney over holding

• drughi

How is this FH squad ? have exact money for it. Feels like a good coverage if any late postponements and such.

DDG
            Cancelo Dias Tierney
            KDB (C) Bruno (VC) Saka Rashford
            DCL Lacazette Wilson

Ramsdale Neto Saiss Holgate

1. Snooze ya lose

V nice

1. drughi

thanks

2. El Lobito 10

You clearly don't think Spurs will do well then. Risky given Son/Kane ownership but high reward if it comes off. Looks a good team. Like Rashford pick

1. Would Ed Woodward

I'm sure he just doubts they'll have a game.

2. drughi

With so many covid cases in the villa camp I cant see the game being played. If it is I probably will keep son on my FH

3. tomasjj

Same 11 as mine. Good!

4. CONNERS

Looks good - nice bench too!

• HonestBlatter

Latest fixture updates / rumours?

• El Lobito 10

Money no object. Who:
            A. Robertson
            B. Tierney

Got Cancelo and Dias. Would be transferring out Reece

1. tomasjj

A, even if LFC are out of form.

• Del Monte

Just looking at my options for DGW19. I will have 2 FT's.

What does the FFS community think of these double acts?

A) Antonio & Cresswell, Castagne, Chilwell or Cancelo
            B) Ings & Coufal, Alioski, J. Stephens or Targett
            C) Martial & Cooper or Pieters
            D) Watkins & Cresswell, Castagne, Chilwell or Cancelo

Please offer advice on the best defender.

1. CONNERS

IMHO

Doubts over Antonio playing time rules out A
              Cavani could start ahead of Martial which rules out C
              Villa may not play twice which may rule out D

I think B with either defender is the safest/best pick.

• CONNERS

Hi all

If Villa v Spurs goes ahead, Villa would be playing the kids/reserves again I assume?

If so, a Spurs triple-up would be a must for a FH team don't you think...

1. Would Ed Woodward

I don't think the game will go ahead, they chose to play with that team in the cup, they won't in the league and they won't be forced to either because Newcastle, City and Fulham weren't.

1. drughi

this

2. Shatner's Bassoon

Big if imo

3. Shatner's Bassoon

Imo more likely that the PL is suspended than Villa are forced to field U23s, although still feels unlikely atm, unless more major outbreaks are reported

4. CONNERS

Thanks, will have to see what develops.

I think the issue is that if more and more teams are allowed to postpone fixtures, there simply won't be enough time to reschedule them with all the cup fixtures, europa, CL etc, plus Euros in Summer.

• Dynamic Duos

442 FH , thoughts on this.

Leno
            Tierney Cancelo AWB Digne
            KDB Sterling Bruno Rashford
            Lacazette Wilson

1. drughi

bench ?

1. Dynamic Duos

Davis, McCarthy, Mitchell 4m keeper lol

2. CONNERS

Looks good, but def need a half decent bench in the current circumstances.

1. Dynamic Duos

It is one gwk it will be fine

3. CONNERS

Ha - famous last words. GL anyway.

1. Dynamic Duos

I can go Darlow and Stones so have this bench then

Rowe, Kilman, Brewster