Pro Pundit Teams

My FPL Gameweek 37 Bench Boost plans – and why I might write the chip off

Pro Pundits 29

I can’t believe Neale has asked me to write this (ED: I needed some Bench Boost coverage for Gameweek 37 and the bad Gameweek was a very happy coincidence).

I can’t promise this will be the most essential bit of reading you will take in before the penultimate Gameweek but hopefully, it will serve as a bit of entertainment.

At the time of writing, I’ve slipped to a 487% red arrow (thanks, LiveFPL.net), falling from just inside the top 1k (987th) down to 5,689th. If Son Heung-min (£11.0m) carries on his recent form tonight, things will get worse as well.

I’m sure I won’t get too much sympathy. Being nestled within the top 10k with just a few Gameweeks remaining is a great position to be in but it’s hard not to be disappointed when seven weeks ago I was 500th in the world, with two chips left, and ready to start an assault on the top 100. Some poor judgment has ended that dream, with the main problem being my dreadful decision to play the Free Hit chip in Gameweek 34. That cost me 30+ points on my original team and meant I couldn’t play it in Gameweek 36, where we have seen people use it to great effect.

But anyway, the past is the past and there’s no more time for lamenting. Onto my next decision, and my next chip, which is the much-maligned Bench Boost. Let’s see how I’m currently set up, with £1.3m in the bank.

GAMEWEEK 37 BUS TEAM

Oh, dear. A reluctance to stock up on pricier assets on my Gameweek 29 Wildcard now sees me scrape the barrel with some of my selections.

In truth, I don’t mind playing Martin Dubravka (£4.4m) and Bruno Guimaraes (£4.9m) in their home game against Arsenal, who have the small matter of the north London derby tonight. St James’ Park will be rocking and Newcastle have only lost once in their last nine home matches: a narrow 1-0 defeat to Liverpool just a few weeks ago. A minutes per non-penalty expected goal involvement (NPxGI) of 173.8 cements Guimaraes as the Newcastle option with the best underlying stats. The injury to Jonjo Shelvey (£5.3m), the deepest-lying midfielder in the team, is a concern but with Joe Willock (£5.4m) out too, I’m expecting to see Bruno continue in his box-to-box role and Sean Longstaff (£4.3m) to continue as the anchor.

Now, and I can’t believe I’m writing this, the question is what to do about Hwang Hee-chan (£5.4m) and Connor Roberts (£4.4m). The obvious thing to do is sell them. Hwang barely plays with Pedro Neto (£6.2m) preferred up front, and Roberts has little attacking potential and faces two decent attacking sides in Spurs and Villa.

However, are the hits required to move these players on worth sacrificing potentially more significant upgrades in the likes of Aaron Ramsdale (£5.1m) to Jordan Pickford (£4.8m)? Will using some of my saved £1.3m that I had reserved for a potential Matty Cash (£5.2m) to Reece James (£6.4m) move come back to haunt me in Gameweek 38 if I am priced out of it? By using transfers, I will also make it more difficult to move for Son in his final game against Norwich if I want to. With two free transfers, I could move Harry Kane (£12.3m) and Anthony Gordon (£4.6m) to Son and Ivan Toney (£6.7m) in Gameweek 38, for example.

NEGLECT THE BENCH BOOST?

This is the horrible bit about the Bench Boost. By focusing transfers on improving your bench for, and I mean no disrespect, more “mediocre” players, it can be harder to get in the assets that are more likely to bring home the big points. With so few games left, my instinct is telling me to just write this Bench Boost off, take the likely 7-10 points and better attack the final two Gameweeks with players I actually want to see in my XI.

POSSIBLE BENCH BOOST OPTIONS

If I do decide to upgrade my bench, Hwang to Danny Welbeck (£5.9m) is probably a move at the top of my list. I’ve been so impressed with how Welbeck has been leading the line for Brighton and with returns in his last three games, he’s been a key figure in our impressive recent form. He needs to work on his conversion rate though (I’m sure I’ve heard that before when it comes to Brighton strikers…) with just 5.6% of his shots finding the net over his last six games – but his minutes per NPxGI of 160.7 is encouraging and better than the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo (217.7), for example. Leeds seems a good game to target, given that only Norwich (44.8) and Southampton (43) have a worse minutes per expected goals conceded (xGC) average over the last six Gameweeks (49.7).

Another move I could make is upgrading Roberts to Marcos Alonso (£5.7m) which loses me a Double Gameweek player but strengthens me for Gameweek 38 given that he now appears to be off Thomas Tuchel’s naughty step. Alonso sits top of all defenders for minutes per NPxGI (210) over the last six Gameweeks and second only to Antonio Rudiger (£6.1m) for minutes per shot (37.1 vs 36).

Anyway, that’s my current thinking. I’d love to hear from people from Fantasy Football Scout who have had similar Bench Boost dilemmas or from those who still have the chip left to play. What are your plans? Is it worth prioritising the bench at the cost of strengthening your main team for the next two Gameweeks? Should FPL do away with the chip altogether!? Let me know in the comments!

Full-year memberships and monthly subscriptions are all now available.

• Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
  • Get access to Members content in over 250+ articles over the season.
  • Enjoy our Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.

Az Membership Strategy Manager for FFS and one half of the FPL BlackBox YouTube series with Mark Sutherns.” Follow him on Twitter

1. AC/DC AFC

Tough times in pundit land.

I didn't benefit this week but the rebel in me quite enjoyed the carnage this week.

2. DavvaMC

Bottomed from previous post.

How's it looking below. Not sure to be honest, should I go for Zaha or maybe Trossard as a differential pick?

Pickford

Digne / Cash / Andersen

Salah / Son / KDB / Gordon

Kane / Ings / Rich

Jakupovic / Tsimikas / KDH / Amartey

Thanks

1. Super John McGinn-

Zaha

2. Ooh Ah Cantona

Trossard is worth keeping considering. He and Brighton are in great form

3. Valdez

Best punt for those with no chips and a mediocre rank? 60k and time to have some fun

1. Couch Potato

Coutinho

They do say form is temporary, class is permanent

1. NorCal Villan

Dude’s been a total ghost for at least last 8 matches. Not saying he *can’t* deliver, just not sure why so many seem certain that he *will*

MIA for nearly two months=not sure where the permanence is hiding

1. Baps hunter

He is not certain starter either. However, I have to admit that I have bad gut feeling about selling him for Zaha. But what do I know, I feared not having Salah and giving armband to another player also.

2. Super John McGinn-

Buendia if Watkins is out

3. pingissimus

Olise over the course of the next 3?

Could be rotation of course over the double but that's true everywhere. Everton perhaps the least appetising match up. Recent Palace returns poor but Villa and Man U anyway won't be low block as per Leeds, Newcastle. Watford and Southampton. Palace tend to better when the opposition comes out to play.

1. Dark Side Of The Loon!

Zaha still the one you would recommend from Palace?

1. pingissimus

It all adds up. Pens, form, talisman etc. He's playing very directly right now which is when you want to get him typically. Just two away games against teams in reasonable form the query. United at home in 38 might be one perhaps for the pay off unless you're on FH.

1. Dark Side Of The Loon!

Need a replacement for Ramsey. Will have 7 to spend.

1. pingissimus

Still contemplating Trossard here (have Zaha already).

2. NorCal Villan

Opposition, come out to PLAYYYY!!!

3. Qaiss

Kinda crazy how such a small bubble of people have made you believe 60k is a bad rank, when there are 9 million FPL accounts

4. Arteta

White G
        Saka A

1. Arteta

Arteta AA

1. NorCal Villan

Are you saying that he/you is a friend of Bill?

2. gellinmagellan

Not having a great season (before this week too) @ 300-ish K for the last few gws. Have a massive benching headache next week (already played BB). What should I do?

Pope Dub
          TAA James Alonso Cash Cancelo
          Salah Saka Kulu Havertz Gordon
          Jesus Pukki Nketiah

WHO SHOULD I BENCH? Thinking Jesus > Ings as the transfer btw

1. NorCal Villan

I would start by benching Gordon & Pukki. Third bench choice is difficult

1. Utopsis

Nketiah

2. Super John McGinn-

Free Hitting 38 so just for this week and who drops to the bench for the transfer in

Schmeichel
            TAA, Robbo, Cancelo, Cash
            Salah, Foden, Coutinho, Gordan
            Rich, Watkins

Foster, Saka, Nkeitah, Laporte

2 FT 0.9 ITB

A) Coutinho + Laporte > Zaha + Digne
            B) Saka + Schmeichel > Zaha + Pickford
            C) Other

3. NorCal Villan

Is Az pronounced like jazz, or like Jay-Z? If I were one to assume, which I am not, I would go with the former

1. gellinmagellan

Haha it is the former

1. NorCal Villan

As I thought. Cheers!

2. ⭐ Bemba_Da ⭐

Azz

3. NorCal Villan

Was it ever Azza? 😎

• Slitherene

'aezsəˈ

4. Baps hunter

A chip doesn't become bad overall in fpl if someone is having difficulties to use it or is unable to benefit from it just because of poor planning. Having said this, it didn't work for me either this season, but at least I got rid of it earlier. With the help of hindsight, I could have gained more from it when I had huge benching problems.

1. gellinmagellan

Agreed

2. ⭐ Bemba_Da ⭐

Most people here just use it when everyone else does so hardly any thought in it

Good decision going against the herd thinking and using earlier. I think there is a lot of validity to this especially bench boost where using later in the season does hinder the decisions you make building up to it

1. Baps hunter

Using BB during dgw allows also different approach that is hardly ever mentioned here. I have used twice to as almost "extra WC" to improve my team. I have once taken -20 to ditch all the deadwood from my team (-16 would have been enough though) and also this season I took -12. This is perhaps not for every manager, but getting good dgw players for hits isn't bad idea if they are good assets going forward.

2. Baps hunter

Actually I got 29/30 -12 pts this season, so I can't complain too much 🙂

3. pingissimus

But you need to give full marks for self-absorption and references to previous rank

4. Mozumbus

This season I got TC and BB favourable

5. FFFoxy

Is Romero actually out? Anyone validate the rumours?

6. pundit of punts

Write off the BB chip?

I clocked 32 points on BB this week

1. Mozumbus

45 here. 121 in total so far, without KDB. Kane and Kulu to go.

• AC/DC AFC

I'm sure he'll hit it even if he doesn't play into it. Which i reckon he will.

• Slitherene

29 here with a couple of 3's in the 11.

• Nightcrawler

But how many did u have to sacrifice in your starting xi to get that bench? It's not as simple as what your bench got to see how good the bench boost was.

Lots of bench Boosters weren't able to afford kdb in their teams for example

1. Baron Penguin

I don’t even bother sorting my bench out when I’ve played BB. What’s the point? Also I just judge it by my lowest scoring players, doesn’t matter where they are arranged on the screen.

1. Nightcrawler

Yeah I don't do that either. I think your overall score that GW is a better indicator of how good the bench boost was then just the sum of your 4 worst picks

If anyone's got 40 points from their supposedly worst pics but end up with a total score of around 100 that's not a good week because they missed out on some good big hitters trying to get a decent squad

2. Mozumbus

My bench of 45 points: Foster, DLuiz, KDH, Keane

1. The Ilfordian

Well done! Who’d’ve expected a DLuiz haul!

1. Mozumbus

Yes, and that to against Liverpool! First game of Keane was a bigger miracle: he was benched, Everton conceded, Keane came in substituting an injured one and got CS!!!

2. Nightcrawler

Using ur other FH could have got u over 150 like most of the other FHers

1. Mozumbus

FH37. Not having KDB was the main uncovered risk which materialized.

2. bitm2007

I can see where AZ if coming from with his bench boost. Despite scoring 37 from the chip this GW I'm still not convinced that with hindsight GW36 was the right time to use it because having a decent bench priced me out of getting KDB as well as Salah and Son on my GW34 WC.

1. AC/DC AFC

Tbf, I'm not sure that's where he is coming from.

• Flynny

What do you prefer for free hit please?

A....double villa defence - digne and cash

B....double Everton defence....pickford and mykolenko

Thanks

1. Mozumbus

A but myko is attractive due to potential attacking returns

2. gellinmagellan

Pope
                              TAA James Alonso Cash Cancelo
                              Salah Saka Kulu Havertz Gordon
                              Ings Nketiah

Dub Pukki x x

Which two to bench?

1. RogDog_jimmy

tough one.

Havertz & Kulu for me.
                                Or Gordon over Havertz.

2. Ooh Ah Cantona

The Chelsea boys. They have that one pointer half time sub feel about them

3. Slitherene

FH 37

Pickford | Fodder
                              Robertson Cash Digne
                              KdB Sterling* Son Zaha Trossard
                              Vardy Richarlison
                              ¦ Amartey Tsimikas Fodder

If not Sterling then Diaz, but what to upgrade with the banked 2.7?

4. COLLIN QUANER

My hairline is not receding

1. NorCal Villan

That can be read as your hairline has totally receded, therefore it is technically no longer receding 😎

• NorCal Villan

My cat’s breath smells like cat food

1. pingissimus

You're not feeding your cat right then

• Nightcrawler

Nketiah and Kulu tonight. On 151 so anything will be a bonus really...son and Saka hauls would somewhat ruin the FH

• Casualspotted

Need Saka and Martinelli both scoring hatty to keep my chances in ML

• OptimusBlack

ON FH ?
                                    A- TAA & KDB
                                    B- Cancelo & Salah

1. Dark Side Of The Loon!

2. European Bob

All 4

• Cantona's Kung Fu Kick

any word on saka?

1. Dark Side Of The Loon!

Last heard, he is better than Foden.

1. Utopsis

Sacrilege!

2. NateDog

Teams will be out in 3 mins

3. MIGHTY JOE

Starts

• Meechoo115

Want to go aggressive on FH…. Hoping villa get one or two sheets and Liverpool go wild for goal difference …

Martinez
                                    Digne. Cash. Holgate
                                    Zaha. Diaz. Thiago. Salah. Son
                                    Kane. Richarlison c.

1.6 itb

What do you think?

Could get Jota instead of Zaha and Kulu over Thiago

1. RogDog_jimmy

Looks super fun.
                                      I wouldn't do the swaps you just said.
                                      Thiago is an interesting one - but why not on a FH.

Maybe Mykolenko instead of Holgate for me.
                                      And I'd go Mane over Salah for fun.

1. Meechoo115

Thanks. Mane has started tonnes in a row so might get benched

• RogDog_jimmy

Hi all - looking for help on who to bench this week.

Schmeichel*
                                    TAA, Robertson, Alonso, James, Cash*
                                    KDB, Zaha*, Saka, Kulusevski, Jota
                                    Kane

Foster, ***, Broja, Greenwood
                                    1ft, 0.7itb

Almost 100% rolling my transfer - given I already have too many players I want to bench.

• N00B

Oh, I like this. No Zaha and Liverpool defence but 4 premiums and a "good" bench.

Pickford
                                    Cash Digne Mykolenko Sessegnon
                                    Salah KDB Son
                                    Kane Ings Richarlison

Bench: 3.9 gk, Brownhill, McArthur/Mendy, Tsimikas

1. Meechoo115

Why not go Mane over KdB if Liverpool might go for goals?

2. RogDog_jimmy

I'd rather Zaha over Kane myself.
                                      And over Ings.

3. OptimusBlack

Like for 4 premiums

Why not just go Zaha + Gordon over Richarlison + Sessegnon?

1. N00B

I like Richarlison more than Zaha. I feel Zaha is just a hedge bet with penalties.

• Casualspotted

OMG Bernd Leno

is on the bench

1. djman102

With 2 attackers from each team, I wouldn't have minded Leno playing in a 5-4 cracker.

Cue 1-0 with Kulu assisted by Holjberg...

• It’s gonna Ben Mee

Four players starting this NLD. Here we go!

1. AC/DC AFC

2 a side?

1. It’s gonna Ben Mee

Beach style 😎

• Steve The Spud

What happened to Romero

1. Qaiss

Doesn’t want to have his career tarnished by Martinelli

• JohannaAdams10

What to do with these Chelsea boys, with 2 great league games to go!

Can you see then putting out 3 strong teams in 9 days though?

Got James, Alonso and Havertz and worried if they start fa cup, do they start 4 days later!

They might have to if arsenal win tonight!

1. The Ilfordian

Or if Spurs win. Arsenal win guarantees them top 4 (and Arsenal)

• MIGHTY JOE

White…….

1. NorCal Villan

Look out mama, there's a white boat comin' up the river

1. The Ilfordian

Young

• Ooh Ah Cantona

That's two points down the drain

2. Scotch Jock

Tottenham v Arsenal (19:45 BST)

One change for Spurs. Davinson Sanchez comes in for Cristian Romero.

Bukayo Saka starts for Arsenal despite being a doubt. Ben White is on the bench.

1. Scotch Jock

Tottenham Hotspur XI: Lloris, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Emerson, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Sessegnon, Kulusevski, Son, Kane.

Subs: Winks, Rodon, Gollini, Bergwijn, Lucas Moura, White, Scarlett, Devine, Matthew Craig.

Arsenal are unchanged from the team that beat Leeds last-time out. Bukayo Saka was a doubt but is fit enough to start, while Ben White is on the bench.

Arsenal XI: Ramsdale, Cedric, Holding, Gabriel, Tomiyasu, Elneny, Xhaka, Saka, Odegaard, Martinelli, Nketiah.

1. Scotch Jock

Subs: Leno, White, Lacazette, Smith Rowe, Pepe, Tavares, Sambi Lokonga, Swanson, Patino.

3. NateDog

No Romero is a huge blow

1. Steve The Spud

Yep, massive, can’t complain though arsenal also riddled with injuries

4. Cantona's Kung Fu Kick

need a goal fest today, but no Son involvement

1. The Ilfordian