Podcast

Scoutcast Episode 344 – Manchester City and United players on the radar

Joe and Az are joined by 2014/15 Fantasy Premier League winner Simon March as they look ahead to Gameweek 2.

With Manchester City and United’s blank Gameweek 1 over, they are back in action this weekend. But which assets do we bring in and who makes way?

The Scoutcast team reveal how they plan to navigate an upcoming fixture run, with even more explosive heavy hitters vying for their attention.

Everton’s new-look midfield gets the once over from our Scoutcast trio, who are particularly impressed with the addition of 2014 World Cup hero James Rodriguez to orchestrate the Toffees’ attacking play.

He certainly passes the eye test and this latest episode also reveals the underlying statistics behind Everton’s renaissance.

Elsewhere, Chelsea options are considered, ahead of their kind fixture run from Gameweek 3. As a fan of the London side, Simon is particularly insightful about the options to bring in and how their defence may line up.

The crew look back at the lessons learned from their Gameweek 1 performance. Even though Simon shunned a certain expensive Liverpool penalty taker, he looks to have made good use of the spare cash he has available. Will Joe follow Simon’s risky strategy in Gameweek 2? He’s certainly tempted.

Next four fixtures come under scrutiny and the community’s roughest and smoothest scores get an airing.

Meanwhile, Az and Simon reveal a pair of intriguing differentials and the show finishes with the team’s transfer and captaincy plans for the second round of fixtures of 2020/21.

This Scoutcast was first beamed live via our YouTube channel. Be sure to subscribe to get notified of future live episodes.

In addition, the Scoutcast and all our other podcasts are now also available via our Soundcloud channel.

If you’re a traditional type, you can acquire the mp3 audio version via this link or the first player below. Or you can take in the full visual experience via the second player below.

FPL Lessons Learned from Gameweek 1

Check your latest FPL rank LIVE on LiveFPL.net every Gameweek

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99.

J0E Podcaster and writer. Tweets stats and stuff via @FFScout_Joe” Follow him on Twitter

1. Diedhiou See That?

Ryan (Steer)
    TAA Robbo Dier Justin (KWP)
    Salah Auba Alli ASM (Soucek)
    Werner Wood (Davies)

0 itb

Plan to transfer Auba to KDB ahead of Week 3 like the rest of the world it seems. Question is what do I do this week:

A) Alli -> J. Rodriguez
    B) Alli -> Greenwood
    C) Nothing
    D) Something else

1. KUNingas

A. B would be great if Sancho stays

2. Dark Side Of The Loon!
      7 days, 11 hours ago

B if he definitely plays and Sancho does not happen. A otherwise.

3. Daniellison5
      7 days, 10 hours ago

I have Ali and definitely looking to get rid of, I have £1.5m in the bank and I’ve been seriously thinking hard over Rodriguez or Rashford, in the end I’ve gone for Rashford but I seriously think if you can’t find the funds for Rashford I would go for Rodriguez. Hope this helps.

2. Inazuma X1
    7 days, 11 hours ago

Leicester bid for Cengiz Under has been accepted by Roma, here we go! €3m loan + €24m obligation to buy. Under is coming to #LCFC, confirmed.

@Fabri

1. diesel001
      7 days, 11 hours ago

Bad news for Damarai Gray. Albrighton is old and is expecting a bench role. Perez and Barnes are fighting for first team spots with this new guy.

Gray not in the picture. Would be a good buy for Burnley as Burnley need a winger to complement McNeil.

3. Pukkipartyy

Wich one?

A) 4.5m + Hamez
    B) Callum Wilson + J.Harrison/Other 5.5M

(Allready have Digne + DCL)

Bottomed.

1. Dynamic Duos
      7 days, 11 hours ago

Would you take Brewster with Hamez?

1. Pukkipartyy

Yep

4. Shark Team
    7 days, 11 hours ago

How to treat Davies and Alli?
    I have Ayling Harisson Rodriguez waiting on my watchlist...

1. Flaming Flamingo
      7 days, 11 hours ago

Assuming you think they'll play, I don't see why you wouldn't give them the next two and then reassess

2. yousunkmybattleship
      7 days, 11 hours ago

I had both and sold Alli for Rodriguez as he has a tasty GW2, Alli may not start etc.

Davies I’m keeping for now.

3. diesel001
      7 days, 11 hours ago

Davies seems pretty nailed tbh. Even if Reguilon and Bale came in I would expect Davies to play as LCB in a back three and Spurs switch to 3-4-3. Would suit Doherty, Son, Kane and Bale in a 3-4-3

1. THFC4LIFE

That’s the dream!

1. diesel001
          7 days, 11 hours ago

The way I see Spurs in attack is like a 2-3-5. Davies suits the LCB role as he is used to playing slightly higher up the pitch so can slot in as the 3rd player in the 3.

Lloris
          Dier Alderweireld
          Hojbjerg Lo-Celso Davies
          Doherty Bale Kane Son Reguilon

5. DRAXLER1105

A. ALLI > BRUNO, ROBERTSON > LAMPTEY or any other 4.5 m def

B. ALLI > RASHFORD, ROBERTSON > COLEMAN/ MINA

1. KUNingas
      7 days, 11 hours ago

Why would you sell Robertson?

1. Hansel

Because Alli can be upgraded. Considering B with Coleman myself

1. Hansel

*Digne, not Coleman

2. Pukkipartyy

Don't sell Robertson.

4. Dthinger
      7 days, 10 hours ago

Why are you yelling at me?

6. KUNingas

A) Mitro -> Martial (-4)
    B) Save

Salah, Auba, James, ASM
    Werner, Mitro, Adams

1. BinManJack

2. Hansel

3. MidTableFantasy
      7 days, 11 hours ago

A. If you're already planning on getting Martial, I think he will match or score more than Mitro this GW.

4. Pukkipartyy

7. BinManJack

My Current team:
    McCarthy / Nyland
    TAA / BDavies / Justin / Saliba / Mitchell
    Salah / Auba / Soucek / ASM / Doucoure
    Kane / Werner / Nketiah

Options
    a) Save FT, play all 5 mids, bench Nketiah
    b) Save FT, play Nketiah, bench Soucek
    c) Replace Nketiah with Bamford / Mitro for 1 week only, play 3-4-3, then WC next week
    d) Replace Kane for Martial, go 3-5-2

Any help much appreciated

1. KUNingas

2. Whiskerz
      7 days, 11 hours ago

Are wcing next week regardless of which option, or only in option c?

1. BinManJack
        7 days, 11 hours ago

think i am trying to avoid WC as much as possible for transfer window ends. With option D, i would do Auba > KDB next week and probably WC the week after, once transfer window closes

1. Whiskerz
          7 days, 10 hours ago

between b and d for me then. Leaning more to b.

Saving the ft would mean you can move nketia and auba next week to better options and possibly avoid a wc altogether.

I think kane stands a decent chance of a goal against Southampton. Not sure martial will outscore him by much, if at all.

1. BinManJack
            7 days, 9 hours ago

thanks, the only thing i would say is that i will be doing Auba to KDB next week. So that only frees up 0.5m, and with Nketiah likely to drop this week, then i dont really see any value in the 6.4m and under group for the other Striker spot anyway. The question i guess is whether taking Kane out is too knee jerk and whether there is any value in keeping him

8. manu4life99
    7 days, 11 hours ago

Alli > JRodriguez worth a 4pt hit?

1. FPLMACKEM
      7 days, 11 hours ago

Probably not unless you're captaining him. I'm considering this move with my free transfer.

2. Pukkipartyy

Jep

3. Dthinger

not likely

9. MidTableFantasy

ASM or Harrison?

1. Pukkipartyy

Har

10. Pinky and De Bruyne
    7 days, 11 hours ago

Anyone looking at Pickford ?

1. MidTableFantasy
      7 days, 11 hours ago

I brought him in, couldn't afford Digne and I think the Everton midfield will give plenty of trouble to the opposition.

2. Mr. O'Connell
      7 days, 11 hours ago

Yeah could be an option. He had an awful season last time out, looked decent on Sunday. Everton SHOULD be challenging for top 6 this season. I don't like any of the 4.5s so he may be in on my WC next week.

3. Dthinger

at 5 mil, I'd rather have Guaita or Leno

11. diesel001
    7 days, 11 hours ago

Hope Everton put out a proper second team tonight and rest all the first teamers. It is the EFL Cup and the winners don't even get into the Europa League any more.

1. Bubz
      7 days, 11 hours ago

I wouldnt mind getting another look at JRod

7 days, 10 hours ago

I highly doubt he'll even be in the squad.

12. FPL_trail_runner
    7 days, 11 hours ago

As a counter point to the WC squads I have seen I thought id post mine Perhaps as i am not as much targeting fixtures or last weeks points but longterm value where the best value and points / mil I feel are. This is what im looking at. I am on a WC after decent start week 1 (75). I decided against my initial plan to wildcard week 16 since the later dgw and blanks can be targeted with the 2nd wildcard or free hit and many of the value picks I feel are obvious already (some even before playing).

Meslier , 4M
    Dallas, Ayling, Saiss, Robertson, Mitchell
    KDB, Sterling, Salah, Rash (c), Bissouma
    Woods, Wilson, Brewster

Most picks are based on xG, xGA, xGc data and also those i feel are underpriced from these stats ( leeds defence (people agree on at least 1, its more obvious to go all in) , Rashford, two strikers with excellent underlying stats and teams set up to feed them + pens). Capt will be in 90% of weeks Salah v bottom 6, or KDB at home or Sterling away v bottom 6. I can see all 4 mids scoring over 200 points each. 4 ,4 , 2 most weeks. I may have to move the 2 strikers if other cheaper alternatives become the template option ( Antonio and or Rodrigo in a few weeks at leeds could be this)

Feel like lots of WC are point chasing players which may not be the main men (DCL depsite Richa) and despite cheaper alternatives( above) or those with rotation issues or poor goalie behind them (James, Digne). Would not hugely surprise me if Everton flatter (they still have a back 4 with Pickford, Coleman , Mina & Keane) and Allens defensive numbers have dropped massively in Italy in the past 2 years- i.e inconsistent with points spread across the front 6 and the defence still an issue (I would back Richardilson to fire if any this year but 8m i feel is too much)

I could be wrong of course. But anyway feels alot of template WC's around without much thought.

1. MidTableFantasy

Are you playing a 4-4-2?

1. FPL_trail_runner
        7 days, 10 hours ago

Yes most weeks. Bissouma will probably make 1 apperance when Leeds play Liverpool and City at home and Away. I expect both Dallas and Ayling to hit similar numbers to Baldock and Stevens from last year. They will play most of all other games. We already saw an example of this at Anfield - Dallas 1 assist and Ayling offensive that fixtures wont be too much of an issue.

2. Pukki Blinders
      7 days, 11 hours ago

I can't get behind that team structure, 4 premium mids and no premium forwards is not ideal when there's plenty of value up top this year

1. FPL_trail_runner
        7 days, 10 hours ago

I feel its more likely that woods /antonio/ DCL/ wilson will get closer in output to the mid price fowards (Jimi, Ings)

Than the mid priced mids (Pulisic+ others) will get closer to the elites ( KDB, Salah, Sterling), plus its the elites where peole will spend most time chasing for captains.

This also gives me more captain options where the huge hauls come. Id more like to captain 1 of the elite mids and have cheaper fowards, than have mid range mids and mid to high range strikers to captain.

Plus with the clean sheet and extra points for goals, getting 4 mids with 20+goals /or assists potential and not trying to fixture predict them i feel is better way to go. Time will tell.

1. Pukki Blinders
          7 days, 10 hours ago

Yep I see where you're coming from. As long as you have a plan and reasoning I'd stick with it, GL

2. Corgzzzz
          7 days, 10 hours ago

I like a lot of what you have had to say. Why dont you link your team to your FFS acct so we can see how you get on.

2. Dthinger
        7 days, 10 hours ago

where? what value? I don't see any decent value forwards over the 8mil mark (maybe Werner, but that remains to be seen)

1. Pukki Blinders
          7 days, 10 hours ago

Really? Rich, Martial, Jimi, Werner... at 8.0-9.0 million they demolish their 8.0-9.0 counterparts in midfield

1. FPL_trail_runner
            7 days, 10 hours ago

I would be as confident someone in the 6.5mil - 7min forward options will match most of those options. Werner will be clear of those other options for sure. Just think Rashford with clean sheets + 1 point extra + perhaps 20% of pens will run him close.

On top of the lack of real values in the 6.5mil range then Rashford + woods > 6.5 mid + Werner for me.

Will vary week to week, but over a season i think it will be clear.

Every year cheap forwards emerge (Ings, Jimi before, Wilson etc). This year will be no different with Woods / DCL / Antonio / Wilson

7 days, 11 hours ago

I think triple Leeds defense is silly. Lamptey is a very good option at 4.5m which gives some nice potential rotation. I think the team needs to be more aggressive with targeting fixtures as well.

Wolves have amazing fixtures starting GW3. I'd want double defence and Jimenez. I think that would easily pay off.

Also, it's clearly not based on xGC data or else Martinez would be your goalie based off of Villa's post lockdown stats, and Soucek would be in the team for sure.

Stats wise, DCL performed very well end of last season. One quiet game doesn't mean he won't produce. And he has so much creativity behind him as well now with James.

1. 1314
        7 days, 10 hours ago

don't think Lewis is a better option than Lamptey ?

7 days, 10 hours ago

No. But Lewis is decent. I'd have him as another 4.5m sure.

1. FPL_trail_runner
            7 days, 10 hours ago

Newcastle are in the bottom 6 for defensive stats. And will be probably slighltly more offensive this year. its an easy no on Lewis.

2. Corgzzzz
            7 days, 10 hours ago

Hi Camzy. What was your points total for GW1...?? Keepong tabs on you for your quest to be number 1.....

2. FPL_trail_runner
        7 days, 10 hours ago

Happy to have a counter point.

Lamptey is a good offensive option but in a very poor defence which plays expansive football. Brighton will never be a sub elite defence with Potter as manager. I see no value in Lamptey for this reason. Leeds have all data showing better than average defensive data based on the last 10 years from the Championship + 2 fullbacks who could be offensive , its 9m for a tiny gamble. If Lamptey was in the Wolves defence he would be the best defensive value in the game.

I agree wolves have amazing fixtures , but woods and or Wilson can have a breakout season to get close to Jimi - nothing against him he is excellent, its value based.

The post lockdown period is too small a sample size , although Villa did improve. Overall they are below middle of the pack for defence. Something people have also not noted with leeds keeper is with his passing range he will do well with bps.

I like DCL, would take him maybe at 6.5mil, again its a margin call, its not i think he is bad, more so he 1) isnt on pens 2) his team is not built to feed him 3) Richa is selfish.

Id rather gamble that woods and Wilson who have pens and team structure will at worst match him for cheaper.

4. Inazuma X1

How will you get Kun?

1. FPL_trail_runner
        7 days, 10 hours ago

With Sterling + KDB i wont need to guess and gamble on his random hauls both get some of them from my 2 mids. Plus he will be rotated

Unless Jesus is injured Aguero is a no from me.

5. Giggs Boson

I like the way you think +1

But I do think you're wrong about DCL, and about Everton.

6. Right In The Stanchion
        7 days, 10 hours ago

Rashford captain will be a disaster. No form after the restart, not on pens. 2-3points quite likely

1. Flaming Flamingo
          7 days, 10 hours ago

Disagree, his stats post-lockdown were very impressive. Think he's a great option this week personally

1. Right In The Stanchion
              7 days, 10 hours ago

I remember him missing chance after chance while all the others scored big time. Your funeral pal. I’ll be back to laugh come Saturday

1. FPL_trail_runner
                7 days, 10 hours ago

He has the best stats of all United attackers. I see him having a breakout season. Will be close to 11mil this time next year.

2. Flaming Flamingo

He's not in my team. So yes, I hope you do 🙂

3. Gingerman
                  7 days, 10 hours ago

I like how your thinking and I'm interested to see if it pays off longterm. Triple Leeds def seems like quite a gamble but seems like you've done your research and have solid ideas behind your picks. I have gone with Lamptey but I know I've been somewhat influenced by the fact I like Potter and there expansive style, doesn't seem like you are so easily distracted when picking players. Tripling up when they are untested at this level is a bit much for me though. Good luck.

1. FPL_trail_runner
                    7 days, 10 hours ago

Yes can go both ways. Its hard to make a real go of it without some risks. If it blows up and im 1m in week 10 i will revert to more template like

I did like Brightons back 5 the last day. Will make Lamptey a better prospect, just feel they will be naive - you only had to look at post lockdown where they seemed to love the idea of Man City / United / carving them open and Potter never tried to correct it

Leeds wont allow this.

2. GloryManUnited
            7 days, 10 hours ago

How can you determine where the best point/value are after a single gameweek? Feel you are setting yourself up for serious pain.

1. FPL_trail_runner
              7 days, 10 hours ago

There is a risk for sure, agree with you. Its easy to move back if it goes wrong

Some reasons.

Leeds will prove to be one of the better sides promoted to the division in past 10 years. I expected 5m at least for both fullbacks. There data from last year + anfield let me go with the feeling they will be mid table at worst this year. Maybe pushing top 8. With no real standout attaker + the fullbacks attacking threat its an easy gamble. Same as stevens + baldock last year.

Man city underperformed on their expected data last year and still had the highest goal scored. - warrants 2 attackers where I can always move captain based on home and away.

Salah (had him captain v leeds) warrants season long inclusion, he looks like his 3 years ago self

Rashford, feel is underpriced and will make a mockery of this price. With vdb joining there is some talk of him on front two this weekend.

Wood is the most underpriced forward (along with Jimi), his points tallies the last 2 years should have meant 7 -7.5mil

Wilson i feel will have a newcastle team built to feed him, + pens. Its a gamble but 6.5 mil for that is underpriced. He could be this years Ings.

3. socho
            6 days, 21 hours ago

Similarly, Leeds defense could flop with 4 goals conceded against an average Liverpool, you could also suffer from Pep roulette and end up with Bissouma regularly and your WC is gone...good luck! You will need it.

2. Robbocrop
          7 days, 11 hours ago

Can Sterling haul when Kun starts?

Looking at games with multiple attacking returns last season:

GW 1, WHU: 3 goals. Kun didn´start
          GW 19, wol: 2 goals. Kun didn´start
          After the restart: Kun was injured when Raz went crazy

I don´t think form was the explanation - he was scoring big in CL/for the national team even when he was blanking a lot in PL. Looked to me like the "Sané role" is detrimental. When Kun isn´t playing the front seems to shift to the right, putting him in a much better position (while the LB/a midfielder provides width).

1. diesel001
            7 days, 11 hours ago

Kun gets the tap-ins when he is playing. So Sterling misses out.

Also, don't let Sterling take penalties. He ain't good at them.

2. FPL_trail_runner
            7 days, 11 hours ago

If Sterling is in your team he will hit somewhere in the region of 20+goals in the season. You just need to keep him despite the variance.

1. Robbocrop
              7 days, 10 hours ago

Sure, could of course keep him the entire season, but I think most his goals can be "targeted" (if/when Kun has fitness issues) - similar to how Son becomes a much better asset whenever Kane is out.

1. FPL_trail_runner
                7 days, 10 hours ago

In theory but then again last year he had blanks when rested against the likes of Brighton but fired when playing Liverpool / Arsenal /

Plus this means 2 transfer to target and ties your hands up for other moves in your squad.

3. Flair
            7 days, 11 hours ago

That's a nice observation, thanks. Team seems to focus a lot more on Raheem when Aguero isn't playing, and vice versa. Makes me even more set on Aguero (C) GW3.

3. Shark Team
          7 days, 11 hours ago

Digne still on set pieces? Or Rodriguez?

1. Pukkipartyy

Maybe both?

2. Ron_Swanson
            7 days, 10 hours ago

Sharing. Digne looks to be taking them all from the left

4. Tmel
          7 days, 11 hours ago

Are there any decent 6.5 or under mid options for the next few GWs?

1. Inazuma X1
            7 days, 10 hours ago

Podence if he plays regularly

2. Pukki Blinders
            7 days, 10 hours ago

Podence after the city game

1. Gingerman

Doucoure

3. Alexis Nonsense
            7 days, 11 hours ago

How many weeks do we expect Mitchell to start?

1. Pukki Blinders

2-3 more

4. Shark Team
            7 days, 11 hours ago

Do you think Leeds mid 5.5 (Harisson) is better than James Rodriguez to keep long term as it's better vfm?

1. Inazuma X1

Hot Rod is better

7 days, 10 hours ago

Just watch JamesR score a PK this weekend and the masses will all flock over.

5. Flair
            7 days, 10 hours ago

Salah firing will probably be the main factor on whether I WC early or not, he looked absolutely insane against Leeds, I've never seen him play that well. Of course I could do Auba->Salah but I don't like that at all and the fixtures work against him. The Chelsea game will tell us more

1. Inazuma X1

Leeds played a very high line - other 18 teams dont

1. Flair
                7 days, 10 hours ago

True, though I think it was more than that

2. Pukki Blinders
              7 days, 10 hours ago

What's wrong with Auba to Salah next week? Were you planning on keeping Auba?

1. Flair
                7 days, 10 hours ago

I'm 100% keeping Auba (C) this week, he's my one 12M MID. The issue is I definitely want KDB/Sterling, but if Salah is firing I'll have to rejig the team to include him too. I'll probably just try to go without, stick with the plan and all that but if 17/18 comes back...

3. GloryManUnited
              7 days, 10 hours ago

2 PKs are very jammy in a single match. Take those away and he had a pedestrian afternoon.

Yes I am trying to convince myself to not own him as well.

1. Pukki Blinders

Over 20 touches in the penalty area... far from pedestrian lol

2. Flair

Haha 🙂

Let's see the Chelsea match first, worrying now brings little benefit

6. Inazuma X1

8. HEADSY

On wc and have no Liverpool in my draft

Martinez/mcarthy

Saiss/ shaw/ taylor/ Lewis /digne

Kdb/ auba/ rash/ grealish/ klich

Dcl/ adams/ wilson

Thoughts? Still got a milly in the bank so dcl could switch to rich

9. jayzico
            7 days, 10 hours ago

I've gone mental after my 80point haul.

So I've taken a 16 point hit - would you WC?

1. badgerboy

Wowzers trousers!

2. Flair
              7 days, 10 hours ago

Down to 64 which is a fine score so nah. Though I'm probably looking at it really badly lmao, depends on the transfers you did. WC is really valuable, especially if you save it for the GW10 fixture swing.

1. jayzico
                7 days, 10 hours ago

That's what I thought. Getting rid of Auba was pretty manic though.

10. Shark Team
            7 days, 10 hours ago

Does anyone know if Harisson can play Vs MCI in gw4?

1. Flair

Can't

11. Shark Team
            7 days, 9 hours ago

Alli to James rodriguez or Alli to Harisson?