453
Scout Notes

Why De Bruyne blanked against West Brom as Johnstone stars again

MAN CITY 1-1 WEST BROM

• Goals: Ilkay Gündogan (£5.4m)
  • Own goals: Ruben Dias (£5.6m)
  • Assists: Raheem Sterling (£11.4m) | Semi Ajayi (£4.8m)
  • Bonus points: Gündogan x3, Kevin De Bruyne x2 (£11.9m), Sterling x2

DE BLANK OR NOT DE BLANK?

Owners of Kevin De Bruyne (£11.9m) were left frustrated by Manchester City’s 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday night.

The Belgian struggled to find the space to operate at his best level in Gameweek 13 as Slaven Bilić’s men executed the perfect away-day game plan at the Etihad Stadium.

With a trip to Southampton awaiting Manchester City on Saturday, the opening day of Gameweek 14, there are already mutterings of considering De Bruyne’s position in our squads – although it is worth assessing some of the mitigating circumstances for his midweek blank.

West Bromwich Albion were a massive contributing factor holding a compact 4-1-4-1 shape with incredible discipline and organisation for the entire game.

De Bruyne’s recent double-figure hauls at the Etihad Stadium were produced in games when he had the space to stretch his legs, drive the ball forward centrally to either pick out a pass or have a shot from range.

Against the Baggies, the gaps were so small that De Bruyne had very little opportunity to find his colleagues, who suffered from the same problem.

On multiple occasions, the Belgian was forced to either drop deeper to find this space or push out wide to the right flank – in either case, this only served to isolate him from Gabriel Jesus (£9.3m), Raheem Sterling (£11.4m) and Phil Foden (£6.4m) even more.

Average positions from the Etihad Stadium in Gameweek 13

Unable to play through the lines, Pep Guardiola’s men were largely restricted to hopeful balls into the box; meat and drink for West Bromwich Albion’s tall centre-backs to clear against City’s diminutive attackers.

Will the Citizens meet such a stubborn wall of resistance in every game this season? Absolutely not, especially not when three of their next four matches are on the road (Southampton, Everton and Chelsea).

JOHNSTONE’S PAIN TROPHY

Another important reason why De Bruyne backers were left wanting was West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper Sam Johnstone (£4.5m) who produced some truly incredible saves during the closing stages.

When De Bruyne dropped deeper later in the game, he played two trademark whipped balls into the box, putting chances on a plate for Sterling and Ilkay Gündogan (£5.4m) from close range. These late key passes appear to have played a big part in De Bruyne securing two bonus points.

However, in both of these events, Johnstone was up to the challenge with sprawling stops that few Premier League goalkeepers would be capable of replicating.

A few minutes before those big chances, De Bruyne was handed a direct free-kick in his favourite area of the pitch, just on the edge of the penalty box.

The Belgian’s effort was destined for the bottom right-hand corner but Johnstone pushed it round the post spectacularly.

“The free-kick was a good save. It came through a lot of bodies. The headers were both close and luckily I managed to get a leg to them and keep them out of the net.” – Sam Johnstone

Johnstone already led the Premier League for saves before Gameweek 13 and, at the time of writing, he has extended his lead over Illan Meslier (£4.6m) to 10.

At the Etihad Stadium, the former Manchester United custodian made six stops, taking his tally of save points on the road to eight for the season.

It was another performance that might ask questions of how Fantasy managers select their captains moving forward. After all, selecting De Bruyne at home to the division’s worst defence should have resulted in a double-figure haul, right?

But while West Bromwich Albion have conceded five goals against the likes of Everton and Crystal Palace, their encounters with the bigger clubs, against the prime captain candidates have often been tight.

They raced into a 3-0 lead and eventually drew 3-3 with Chelsea back in Gameweek 3, Gameweek 8 saw them narrowly lose 1-0 to Spurs while the Baggies lost by a single goal to Manchester United at Old Trafford in Gameweek 9.

Across those three matches, Johnstone accrued 17 saves, an average of 5.7 per game, in line with the six registered against Manchester City on Tuesday night.

The goalkeeper’s next meeting with a big-club captaincy candidate is in Gameweek 15 when West Bromwich Albion travel to Anfield…

Manchester City XI (4-2-3-1): Ederson; B Mendy (Walker 75′), Aké, Dias, Cancelo; Rodri, Gündogan; Foden (Aguero 76′), De Bruyne, Sterling; Jesus.

West Bromwich Albion XI (4-1-4-1): Johnstone; Gibbs, O’Shea, Ajayi, Furlong; Sawyers; Diangana, Gallagher, Livermore (Krovinović 80′), M Phillips (Peltier 87′); Grant (Austin 70′).

Lessons learned from FPL Gameweek 13

Check your latest FPL rank LIVE on LiveFPL.net every Gameweek

Full-year memberships and monthly subscriptions are now available.

1. dshv

HELP

Mccarthy
    Chilwell james dias taylor mitchell
    Son soucek bruno kdb salah
    Dcl watkins davis

0.4 itb 2ft
    WC - which i really want to use before it too late

1. Zen Arcade

Have you got an actual question?

2. Vlad

I’d rather have an extra fw and play 343 then this what you have now.. 2 much money in defense.. but overall great team

2. el polako

Hope WBA goes down for what they did.

(Making KDB(c) blank that is)

1. RAFA THE GAFFA

Kevin De Baps

1. el polako

Kevin Don't Bother

1. el polako

I'm sore salty looser - I know.

2. Plant Based FPLer

Got me there.

How are promoted sides so sure the manager needs to go? And if they're so sure about themselves as quality runners of a club, then they should be sacking their managers before their PL season even starts.

3. RAFA THE GAFFA

Bottomed repost.

For someone with a WC I have the flexibility to plan for BB GW19 but this means that I’ll be spreading my WC funds (e.g. getting a second keeper) just for this one week. Am I not better off picking the best possible WC for the rest of the season and ignoring GW19 (perhaps just FH then?)

Would love to know peoples views especially those with WC 1 left?

1. Daniel Jebbison

Watch what they'll do on Blackbox

2. pilgrim

I'm keeping it simple. Using FT between now and gw17 to bring in dgw players. FH in gw18 and then without hits should have 12/13 dgw players along with Son & Kane who I intend to keep. Already have 2 playing gks (Martinez & Ryan), will definitely replace Ryan and plan to replace Martinez as well as long as no injuries or suspensions creep up.

3. Marcin the Pole

I have my WC in hand too. My plan is to WC in 16, getting together a nice strong 11 for DGW19, but not a BB squad so as to keep funds in the XI. I'll FH in 18. Will save my BB for later in the season when I use my second wildcard. Like you, I don't really want to go into the second half of the season with 1.5m sat on my bench which could be used in my team.

4. NoSalah'd

Should I transfer Cancelo out to Matip or James with a ft? I have Dias and Zouma, too.

1. Plant Based FPLer

Do you want Matip in? (Couldn't resist saying that)

Matip has back spasms. Get Vestergaard.

1. Ronnies

I'm looking at ditching him for James, have Chillwell .At 5.3m I think he's great value

5. Super Jack Grealish

Thoughts on what to do with Jota then?

Martinez, Forster
    Robbo, Chilwell, James, Dallas, 3.9
    KDB, Bruno, Grealish, Jota, Stephens
    Kane, DCL, Bamford

2 FT 1.9 ITB

Jota > Soucek? Don’t know what I’d do with the extra 3m though

1. Levi's 501

Either upgrade Stephens, or get Salah in for Kdb.

6. Pukki Blinders

Am I the only one planning to save BB till after the second WC? Just seems a big waste loading up on bench players now with no exit plan

1. Legohair

Yep,me too.im going tc dgw19 and save bb for later

2. Marcin the Pole

Me. Like you say I don't want a load of value tied up in players I no longer want/need after GW19.

7. ⚔★Vibudh★⚔

Would you BB with this for GW19?
    DCL vs Villa
    Grealish vs Everton
    Balbuena vs WBA,WHU
    McCarthy vs Sou,Lee

But all this would also mean taking a hit+using 2-3 extra FT's, and more FT's to sell some players... I don't think it's worth it :/

1. Shark Team

I always do WC and right after BB so im gonna leave it for the end of the season to have 15 dgw players

8. Herman Toothrot

Managed to squeeze Kane at the expense of DCL and Robertson.

Mendy
    Stones // Chilwell // Lewis
    Grealish // Salah // KDB // Bruno // Soucek
    Adams // Kane

4.0 // Brewster // Coufal // 3.9

Don't rate the bench much but hoping not to rely on it just yet.

9. 03farmboy

Which combination is better?

Grealish, Bruno and Justin
    Or
    Grealish, Calvert Lewin and Bowden

1. 007 [RoboKlopp]

10. martyhan

Got rid of Dcl and regret it. Would you do
    Watkins and chilwell to Dcl and Taylor for free?
    Already have grealish

1. Marcin the Pole

No chance

2. FPL_Motty

Why regret it already? Fixtures not great, and cheaper players who will post similar points totals, no bother. Losing chilwell to get him back is totally wrong

3. Plant Based FPLer

Same. Post DCL anxiety is ensuing. He has a pretty good temperament and will probably continue to tick along with consistent returns.

1. FPL_Motty

And so will Bamford or Watkins or Adams. However teams with those players will have an extra 1.5m to spend elsewhere which may be the difference between your 4.5m def and my chilwell or whatever. No-ones doubting that DCL will keep scoring points but surely the only reason you dropped him was to use those funds? I dropped him and those funds are key to my team. I won't cry when he scores because he will, but im willing to bet bamford matches him and i'd rather have 1.5m spare elsewhere.

1. Pukki Blinders

Last time I checked Bamford or Watkins or Adams weren’t leading the golden boot race were they

1. jtreble

Last time I checked Bamford or Watkins or Adams were leading the value race.

1. Pukki Blinders

And DCL at 7.0 isnt value? Lol

1. jtreble

Who said he wasn’t? Lol.

2. FPL_Motty

Lol. That's clearly not the point. This is a game about points not goals. Bamford has only 8pts less than DCL total for the season. Yet he's 3 goals behind in the golden boot race.. but that literally doesnt matter when it's FPL points that count. Bamford is roughly 1.5m cheaper than DCL right now and that money can be the difference between having 3 big hitter premiums or 4. The difference between stretching from a Ziyech to a Son for exmaple, and you're telling me that 1.5m isnt useful in that case? Yes DCL will continue scoring, but if other cheaper players are going to match his FPL points going forward then there's no reason to say DCL is essential. Even if he scores and gets 6pts, and say Adams gets a lonely assist, for 5pts, thats only 1pt difference in the game. Goals are more important in real life yeah, but doesnt directly translate into the game

1. Pukki Blinders

Not denying that Bamford or Watkins are good value because I have them both. Just think premium forwards are a waste this year, so a front 3 of Watkins Bamford DCL is far from breaking the bank and leaves plenty for defence and midfield. DCL still represents great value himself

1. jtreble

You might want to link your team in your profile.

1. Pukki Blinders

Link my team why?

2. FPL_Motty

Sure. Though over the last couple of GWs, Vardy and Kane have significantly outscored DCL so I do think premium forwards are pulling their weight.

It's not that I think DCL is a bad option, he's clearly not, I've owned him basically all season and am very grateful. However going into a tougher fixture period, everton playing west brom every week for a DCL hatrick and he is typically getting 6 or 5pts each week. For me, losing DCL to bamford, then allowing me to keep Vardy+Salah+KDB+Bruno makes it worthwhile for me.

If we're talking about best value players then Soucek for 4.9m has matched DCL since gw8 (both 31pts total), and this includes DCL scoring a brace against Fulham. Yet soucek is 5m and DCL 7.5m. Theres lots of ways to play this game, I'm just making the point that selling DCL isn't crazy and there's currently alot of great value players who can match him. I don't see him scoring hatricks anytime soon, tougher fixtures, but when they turn around again I'll probably go back to him

1. FPL_Motty

everton not* playing west brom every week

2. WE GO FOR IT

100% agree.

You can't just look at points. I downgraded to DCL to Bamford last week to get a premium quatret of Salah, KdB, Bruno, Kane. DCL might punish me but I'm hopeful that these premiums will make up the points DCL might score over Bamford.

2. jtreble

+1.

2. Plant Based FPLer

Last week, DCL would've netted me 4 more points than his replacement, Wilson. This week, I would've played DCL and Podence instead of Wilson and the upgrade to Zouma, so I'm down another 8 points so far.

And I like DCL today against Schmeichel, Foffana, Fuchs, Morgan I guess and Justin. I didn't like Wilson before, I don't like him now. He's a hot head and petulant.

(I have my wildcard still too, so I didn't really need to do anything drastic for gws 12-15)

4. Plant Based FPLer

With DCL at 8, consider Ings as well.

1. BobbyDoesNotLook

Tbh I prefer Ings at 8.

1. Plant Based FPLer

Me too. He's not as good at headers but he has a better shot and is on pens.

11. Party time

When do we get the 2nd wild card?

Gw 17?

12. unitednations

Thoughts on how to best use 2FTs with 0.3m itb?

Martinez --- Forster
    Chilwell James Lamptey --- Lewis Douglas
    Salah KDB Bruno Son -- Burke
    DCL Watkins Bamford

A: Burke >> a playing 4.5m mid i.e. Norwood that would play in gw18
    B: Something else but no idea what

13. SweepaKeepa

Any doubts that Big Sam will have Ivanovic back in the team and scoring a goal a game?

14. Shark Team

Is the FH worth playing if you already have 5 of your preferable players for this gw already in your team?

15. Pompel

Given Salah is standout captain in DGW19, isn't using TC chip just as good option as BB, since then it is easier to avoid using second WC early due to sub-optimal team from GW20?

1. Zim0

I would like to know too.

2. Pukki Blinders

Depends if you think he starts v Burnley, I don’t

1. Daniel Jebbison

You think he won't start against Burnley? Don't get it why. Plenty of rest in the cups in January. He'll play imo and the TC strategy is worth considering

2. Pompel

He'll start if fit, and if title race still open which I believe it will be

1. Pukki Blinders

Nobody knows at this stage, too early. Will see when the fatigue
          Starts setting in

3. Vlad

First game is united. Not a great game to captain him. Somebody might get a better set of games

1. Pompel

Ofc Salah can score against United

4. Shark Team

He rarely scores vs Manutd. Im not sure its the right time for TC. Im playing neither of those chips but I think i wouldn't play the 2nd WC before gw30

16. rnrd

Logic says FH18 but bloody hell, fixtures are so bad. I mean ok, 3 villas, 3 spurs, some citizens (which may not start or get cameos) and that's about it. Could be à 30 pointer here compared to someone heading into the GW with 5 or 6 players and get his captain right and outscore the FH

1. Marcin the Pole

I love the look of a couple of Palace players personally.

2. DGW Sane TC Fail....

There will be another time to use free hit later when the blanks for the FA cup come out

3. ⚔★Vibudh★⚔

Triple villa on FH vs Spurs? No way

1. DGW Sane TC Fail....

there's no other player to get really

4. FPL_Motty

How could someone with 5 players outscore someone with 11 to choose from, from the same set of fixtures. If you pick the best possible players from those fixtures, how could that person have better players than you? If you're worried about captain choice, thats just random anyway, and surely theres only going to be 1 or 2 obvious captain choices. If you're worried about someone captaining Coady who gets a hatrick randomly then I honestly dont know what to say

5. Zim0

This is my Free Hit 18 team Darlow
      PVA Dier Dias
      KDB Sterling Zaha Son
      Kane DCL Wilson
      Looks ok to me

1. FPL_Motty

Yep looks like a team that 5 players would beat..

1. DGW Sane TC Fail....

The point is beat by how much ..is it going to be better than the next FH opportunity?

1. FPL_Motty

To be helpful, look up Ben Crellin. See what he thinks. He doesn't think there will be a bigger blank in the season, therefore this will be the optimal opportunity to use a FH. Up to you though still

1. DGW Sane TC Fail....

Thank you for the advice for help, but i like to make my own decisions not somebody else's 🙂

1. WE GO FOR IT

Noone is making decisions for you. The point for this forum and account like Ben's, is to get an idea about what strategies others are using and what is their reasoning behind them. If you have made up your mind that you don't want to use FH, there's what's the point.

2. Zim0

U know we'll have a few gameweeks between the upcoming blanks and doubles. So we can add those players with our FTs. We can't here since they're right next to each other. It is optimum time to use FH.

2. rnrd

You mean
        Darlow
        PVA Dier Laporte
        Foden - Torres Zaha Son
        Kane DCL Wilson

right? 😉

6. GS456

I thought this, not a lot to choose from is there.

FH19 might be better

7. Shark Team

I can personally own Martinez Dier Lamptey Grealish KDB Son Kane DCL so im not sure yet but probably if I am FH because i can sell some of those and have 9-10 players with dgw the week after

8. WE GO FOR IT

If your FH team considerable outscores the team you would have if hadn't used the FH, your FH is a success. Look at it that way.
      Also, your FH team will have the good picks which the other team has + some extra players. You re getting a free chance to pick whichever players look best in form and nailed to start. So, the only way you score less points is you try to get way too many risky differentials.

Non FH team: AVL defender/Martinez, KdB, Grealish, Son, Kane, DCL - These are the players the non-FH team will most likely have.
      If you play FH, you will definistely have those players and add a few other good options.

1. Pompel

But not that many good options in addition in GW18 compared to GW19...

1. WE GO FOR IT

Maybe not if you look to bring ond DGWers. But thena again, how many DGWers will play 120/130+ minutes.

17. mcsteely

time to sell KDB if you have him?

1. GS456

I’m thinking so.

Won’t captain in the next 2, and I want Bruno in.

City still not looking their best and may also get reduced minutes over Xmas

1. Daniel Jebbison

He'll deliver double digit against Sot

2. FPL_Motty

Yeah go ahead mate -.-..

1. GS456

Bad idea? Would you not swap him for Bruno?

Other option is selling Vardy

1. FPL_Motty

For Bruno is a different question. I have Bruno + Salah + KDB in the same team. I won't be dropping Kev at all, the fixtures are incredible and despite a blank he was hugely influential. There would be many different conversations on here if he had hit those 2 golden chance assists.

I'm sure theres a way to fit Bruno in while keeping KDB. Vardy is probably more expendable soon

1. GS456

Cheers mate

2. WE GO FOR IT

That's the point! Those near assists and goals don't give you points though. He's had a fair few of those this season. City do look well below their pace this season. Fixtures are too good to sell him if you already own him as he is the one will make City click eventually. But if he keeps blanking and City keep looking underwhelming, surely there are better options with so many premiums in form right now.

3. Pukki Blinders

Stop talking nonsense

4. Vlad

After next one

18. Daniel Jebbison

Thoughts on this BB team?

Martinez McCarthy
    James Chilwell Dallas TAA Justin
    Salah Son Bruno Cabalero Soucek
    Adams Vardy Bamford

1. Pukki Blinders

Not sure how you got Willy Cabalero from reserve GK to starting mid but well done

1. Daniel Jebbison

That guy from Fulham, is he Cavalero?

2. Tonyawesome69

Justin to Coufal/ Balbuena

1. Daniel Jebbison

Maybe but I already have Justin

1. Tonyawesome69

Probably castagne and pereirra will be back and Justin on the bench.

19. Tonyawesome69

Any transfer suggestions? Plan to WC16.

2FT 1.3itb
    Martinez
    Chilwell Cancelo Justin
    Salah KDB Bruno Grealish
    DCL Bamford Watkins
    (Peacock Ayling Taylor Bissouma)

20. Goodricke

Bamford if aggressive, DCL if safe. I’d want both though

5. KGFC

DCL

6. Goodricke

Have Kane, and Vardy.

1. Goodricke

and DCL, so thinking of maybe getting Bamford in exchange.

21. Ronnies

Best option;

A) Play Cancelo and hope he starts.

B) Sell for Reece James as my FT

Currently own Chillwell, so would be doubling up on Chelsea defence with DGW19 in mind.

Cheers.

22. KGFC

See a lot of talk about using FH in BGW18 but not in DGW19. Any particular reason for that?

1. Pukki Blinders

I see plenty of rotation for the DGWs, fixtures already as congested enough as they are and this just adds to it. Also not happy with deconstructing my team to field 11 for bgw18

1. KGFC

Fair points, thanks

2. Pompel

You don't need to field 11 in GW18 if you have a good captain alng with some decent other players

1. Pukki Blinders

And you also don’t need to load up on DGW players when most will probably only start 1 game...

1. Pompel

Yeah argument goes both ways. But I'm sure one can identify key players that are more likely to play both than not, at least 120 mins+. Think it also depends on whether the team you want for GWs 14-17, and GW20 onwards , which also depends whether you want to use WC.

23. martyhan

Have 2 ft and not a clue what to do. Anyone spot anything that I'm not? Maybe downgrade chilwell to James and upgrade Williams?
    Team is
    McCarthy Forster
    Dias, chilwell, targett, coufal, Williams
    Salah, son, kdb, Bruno, grealish
    Barford, Watkins, brewster.
    0 itb

24. Pompel

Another case for FH DGW109 is if wanting to punt on Robbo+TAA double-up. Difficult to accommodate using FT's to get them in up front without unbalancing the team. But then, why should they suddenly be gold again in GW19....

25. Nightcrawler

My main issue with loading up dgwers in week 19 is losing players like son Grealish DCL and then wanting them back immediately after.

Got all of them at their originial price so would cost a lot

26. Corgzzzz

Guys, quick question. If I have 2FTs, and I use one of my Chips, do I lose on of the free FTs for the following GW ??

1. WE GO FOR IT

If you use WC/FH, you do. Not BB/TC.

1. Corgzzzz

Perfect and thank you

27. Howyoudoin

Can someone please help me. I keep getting my bench wrong. Are there certain rules to picking your team so I don't keep stuffing it up. I have Fabianski, Dier,James,Walker,Salah,KDB,BFer,Grealish,CAda,Wilson,DCL, bench Lamptey, Soucek, Ayling. I just wonder if I should be playing Lamptey over Walker?