While home advantage was largely wiped out during the pandemic and empty stadiums, the power of home support kicked back into gear last season.
In 2020/21, away teams won 40% of Premier League matches, compared with 34% in 2021/22.
And while there is no escaping the fact that home advantage generally remains on the wane, for most clubs outside of the elite, targeting wins at the location you know best still makes most sense.
With that in mind, this article aims to identify the teams outside of the traditional ‘big six’ who have the best runs of consecutive, winnable home matches at the start of the season – the types of games managers will be earmarking for three points.
You’ll also notice that we’ve tried to ensure a few reasonable away fixtures are thrown in too, and that all of the runs we highlight start no later than Gameweek 8.
BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION
Brighton and Hove Albion start next season’s Premier League campaign with a trip to Old Trafford and follow it up with a kind run of fixtures from Gameweeks 2-8. In that time, they face Newcastle United, Leeds United, Leicester City and Crystal Palace at the Amex, whilst also visiting newly-promoted Fulham and Bournemouth.
2021/22 was a season of extremes for Graham Potter’s side, as they went 11 Premier League games without a victory from September to December and then six straight defeats in February and March. However, they finished strongly, taking 18 points from a possible 27 at the end, raising interest in their Fantasy Premier League (FPL) assets.
Robert Sanchez ended last season with a creditable 11 clean sheets but wasn’t a prolific save machine. In fact, a total of 14 first-choice Premier League goalkeepers had a better points-per-match average than the Brighton custodian (3.4). There are other appealing options at the back, however, including Marc Cucurella, whose total of 21 bonus points was beaten by just four other defenders, Lewis Dunk and bargain buy Joel Veltman, who racked up 33 Premier League starts. Further forward, the form of Leandro Trossard is also worth noting: the Belgian ended the campaign with four goals and three assists in his final six appearances.
Full-year memberships and monthly subscriptions are all now available.
Join now to get the following:
- Plot your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for every Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your selections and transfers.
- Get access to Members content in over 250+ articles over the season.
- Analyse our OPTA-powered statistic tables specifically tailored for Fantasy Football Managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to build custom stats tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Enjoy our Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and expected goals data for every player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyse players head-to-head.