Dugout Discussion

Mourinho benches Alli as Spurs visit injury-hit Sheff Utd

Dele Alli (£8.3m) has been named on the Spurs bench ahead of their trip to Sheffield United.

The England international misses out on a start in Jose Mourinho’s talented attack, fronted by Harry Kane (£10.9m).

Son Heung-min (£9.8m), Lucas Moura (£7.1m) and Steven Bergwijn (£7.5m) are the three options named in attacking midfield, supported by a deeper pair of Giovani Lo Celso (£7.3m) and Moussa Sissoko (£4.8m).

The Fantasy attention will almost certainly be on the South Korean tonight. He is owned by 8.8% of managers worldwide and scored 12 points against Sheffield United back in Gameweek 12.

Those invested in the Spurs attack will be boosted by the line-up that Chris Wilder has been forced to field for the Blades.

Recent injuries to John Lundstram (£4.8m) and John Fleck (£4.8m), have severely limited his options in midfield. With Luke Freeman (£5.0m) also absent with a knock, Oliver Norwood (£4.8m), Ben Osborn (£4.7m) and Sander Berge (£4.7m) start together for the first time in the Premier League this season, Jack Rodwell (£4.5m) the only back-up on the bench.

Jack O’Connell (£4.6m) is still not back from injury either so Jack Robinson (£4.0m) continues to deputise in central defence alongside Chris Basham (£4.6m) and John Egan (£4.5m).

Spurs’ defence continues to offer greater stability though. For the third successive match since Project Restart began, Mourinho has paired Eric Dier (£4.8m) with Davinson Sánchez (£5.3m) at centre-back, flanked by Ben Davies (£5.3m) and Serge Aurier (£5.0m) in the full-back roles.

Sheffield United XI: D Henderson; Robinson, Egan, Basham; Stevens, Osborn, Norwood, Berge, Baldock; McBurnie, McGoldrick.

Tottenham Hotspur XI: Lloris; B Davies, D Sánchez, Dier, Aurier; Sissoko, Lo Celso; Son, Moura, Bergwijn; Kane.

FPL Lessons Learned from Gameweek 32+

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £17.50. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99.

1. Pep bites Kun

Who's got Kane?

1. Andy_Social

I've no skins in the game (pair of Blades on the bench) - but a rival has Kane and Bergers, so I'll be watching nervously.

2. Deeney-is-a-god

Nope, but considering him if he performs. Used to be fantasy gold

1. Flynny

Firmly on my radar.

Either this week for a hit.

Or next week for free.

Super differential and no rotation

1. baps sniffer

So could I. Yet -4 to do Rash to Kane is perhaps not the way to go.

2. DAZZ

2. NoSalah’d

Hi all, what’s your thoughts on my FH team? 0.1m itb
      Ryan, 3.9m
      TAA, Robertson, Azpi, AWB, 4.0m
      Salah, KDB, Pulisic, Martial, 4.2m
      Jesus, Rashford 4.2m
      Plan to play a 442 or do you think a 352 with Foden will be better?
      Thanks

1. Deeney-is-a-god

This is good. Would try to get one wolves defender though. Maybe doherty for azpi since chelsea are not great defensively. Get the cash by doing robbo to vvd

1. Deeney-is-a-god

Think vvd is a better option than robbo regardless, got more points this season

2. NoSalah’d

I did have Doherty, but wanted to do something different and I reckon Arsenal may score.

1. Deeney-is-a-god

Sorry, did not see it was a FH. Thought it was a wildcard. Then it makes more sense

2. Deeney-is-a-god

Lots of if and buts

But if Kane perform and Son doesnt.

How does
        Son, Jimenez-> Kane, Pulisic
        sound?

Jimenez not the best underlying stats and wolves not free scoring as well as some «tough» fixtures.

1. Pep bites Kun

Sounds good

3. Nightcrawler

Son gaol from an aurier cross please

1. dshv

Yes please

2. Revival

You read my mind

3. Firminoooo

Would make my red arrow a little smaller.

4. dshv

Need your help

Have 2ft tell me what to do. .. 0.0 itb

Patricio
        Awb doherty aurier . Lascelles holgate
        Mane kdb son bruno . Hayden
        Rashford dcl jimenez

Dcl some switch?? And what

1. Pep bites Kun

Take a punt on a budget striker you fancy playing one of the weaker defences each gw - Nor, Bou, AV, WH, Sou, etc

5. Noah’s Ark

Pick 2 of these 3 please folks:

A) Aurier
        B) Digne
        C) Mendy

Currently have A & B due to Mendy rotation risk but City have the best fixtures.

1. Pep bites Kun

AB

6. Bossworld

Son hat trick, no assists and a minor knock please

7. Targeting Captaincy Hauls
        Make Arrows Green Again

OK here's a fun bit of analysis which I think heartily supports Lateriser's strategy for targetting the hauls each gameweek.

The question I asked myself is this: taking a ludicrously (and unnecessarily, see below) aggressive approach, for the sake of argument, taking a -4 every week for the best captain, could I have actually improved my captain score for the season?

I **really quickly** went through the best captains for each week based on the fixtures and what I remember about them, not factoring injury worries and only vaguely remembering which teams were the whipping boys at the time (Watford in the autumn for example). There was little or no captain hindsight - I did my best to forget the result if I remembered it (not that hard it turns out) You may easily disagree with my selections below, but this is my list of who I probably would have captained each week and their scores. Factoring forgotten injury news etc I think the list as chosen at the time could easily have done better. I defaulted to Salah when he was fit, Mane when Salah was injured, likewise KdB as a 'sub' for Aguero. And this list includes bad gameweek selections - the best of a bad bunch, for example Abraham against Palace, rather than the standouts like Aguero vs Norwich.

So..The 'best' captains to date have scored a total of 556 points. I am ranked about 22k and so have had a decent season so far. My captain picks add up to 430 so far, including Auba last night. So, and I think this is remarkable: even if I had taken a -4 EVERY WEEK since after GW1 to ensure I had the best captain, I would have scored two MORE points than this lot combined. 556-(31x4) = 432 As it happens, I would often already have the best player for that week, meaning that hits would not have been needed. I would perhaps have only needed to take a hit half of the time to ensure that my captain was the best. Taking these hypothetical hits allows me to make one hypothetical transfer per week to ensure that the rest of the team could be kept in good shape, and they do not factor in two wildcards and a free hit, which might have saved me 12 points immediately.

Unless I have overlooked something here, this has radically changed the way I think about the game. If chasing the best player for the best fixture can be this successful even when diluting the data with the gameweeks with poor fixtures, then taking hits for the best possible captain when there IS a standout option seems like a no-brainer.

Come on, pick apart my methodology. What do you think? Is this a compelling case for playing the game more aggressively and no longer hiding behind the sofa when the highly-captained player you don't own takes to the pitch?

Apologies for the formatting (maybe):

GW28 Salah 4
        GW29 Salah 18
        GW30+ Aguero 16
        GW31+ Salah 22
        GW32+ Auba 32

1. Lukakwho

interesting read, thanks. Possibly it does. Too much thinking for me!

2. Pépé sur le P…

This would never work for me. I probably would have got fewer points if I was given the freedom to choose a captain for ALL players each week. I'd be picking defenders with goal threat 50% of the time, and Callum Wilson the other 50%.

1. Pépé sur le P…

Case in point. The GWs of the season are the GWs I've had most freedom to choose from most players (plus GW30 FH and in the coming weeks (as I'm currently on a WC)), with all the planning you can make.

However, In GWs 1-6 I captained TAA, TAA, Sterling, Sterling, Sterling and got 5, 1, 8, 3, 2 & 2. On FH I did captain KDB successfully, as he got 15. But other people chose Aguero who got 4.

It's just so unpredicatable that I find it hard to believe you would have been as successful as you have been in hindsight. But it also does seem that I'm really bad at captaincy decisions!

1. Pépé sur le P…

The first GWs of the season*

2. Pépé sur le P…

And GW6 was Pukki!

3. Make Arrows Green Again

Sorry, D, as I said below I had to ignore this thread for several hours last night and then the momentum kind of passed.

All very good suggestions. I admit there was probably some hindsight involved in that I have discounted Sterling from my thinking. To reiterate my methodology, I (retrospectively) looked at each gameweek and went for whichever of Liverpool and Man City had the best fixture, and if neither did, or played each other, then I went for the good team playing at home against someone rubbish. I did NOT go back and say "he did well that week (Vardy against Southampton in November), I'll choose him".

I then decided who I think would have been the most explosive pick from those teams, defaulting to Salah, Aguero, Auba, Kane, and only picking 'next bests' when I saw that they were injured or banned.

The best way to improve this, and I did this in a real hurry yesterday, would be start with the captain poll winner for each week. I can also pull in other stats (vs whipping boys, form etc) and will do this at the end of the season when we have all the data. I still think I will be very pleasantly surprised by the results!

1. Pépé sur le P…

No worries. The captain poll would be more conservative, given that there's a bias towards players with higher ownership amongst voters. But if that works out as points galore, it could indicate that there is something in this strategy as you would be factoring in way more hits than would be necessary, given the skew towards ownership. Can't say that this is definitely true, though, of course.

I'd prefer to see it done with historic RMT data or another kind of projection. That would remove a lot of the biases.

Thanks for the thought-provoking post!

1. Pépé sur le P…

Plus it should be done over many seasons. To decide whether it is a good strategy one week to the next, I need to know whether it's a good strategy in general. It doesn't need to be limited to a single season. In fact that's something of a problem, since seasons can be weird in ways that are specific to those seasons. I recognise that would be a ton more work, but it doesn't start to be useful until the sample size is larger, unfortunately.

You can then begin to look at thresholds. For example, should, how many points is a differenc eof 10% on the captaincy poll worth, or how many projected points on RMT, etc. That's where it might start to be more applicable on a week-by-week or bi-weekly basis, or planning sections of the season, rotation etc, when you are calculating the cost and return of decisions.

2. Ginkapo FPL

I already captain defenders often

3. SADIO SANÉ

what about, always have 2 captains to choose from? loads of Salah there, with a sprinkling of Aguero and KDB

1. HashAttack

Why stop at 2 .... I think we should select 3 players each week, each of those players score double points

Even I should be able to avoid picking my 3 lowest scoring players each week ...

4. DannyDrinkVodka

The "standout option" doesn't always deliver.........that's the problem

1. DannyDrinkVodka

For instance......who do you think is the standout option in GW33+?

• Make Arrows Green Again

That's what I'm saying, the list isn't the best performer in each week, it's the predicted best. There are plenty of blanks there, still 500+ points

1. DannyDrinkVodka

Ah I see..........."predicted best" by whom?

1. DannyDrinkVodka

Because it seems strange that this was the first week when you had Aubameyang as the "predicted best" captain........he has had at least 3 or 4 such weeks and blanked!

1. Make Arrows Green Again

He appears twice in the list. And this week I free hitted partly to make him my captain, so I certainly believed him to be the best pick this week. Admittedly he didn't top the captain poll, but plenty of good players (Lateriser for one) have gone on record as saying he's one they feared and perhaps would have captained if on a FH

1. Make Arrows Green Again

three times actually

2. Flaps

With the price rises you could not chase the best players all season as you could not hold a decent 11

3. HashAttack

What if you used a dice, 1 to 6 representing Auba, Salah, Mane, Kane, Aguero and KDB
                  Roll the dice to determine which captain each week regardless of fixtures or form

I wonder how often the random version would come out with a higher score than the list above

1. HashAttack

I ended up with 424 with KDB still to play as this weeks captain

4. diesel001

The biggest issue for me is you haven't explained your process for choosing your captain. If you have a method / process and stick to it and came up with all those picks then great because it makes it systematic and therefore reduces bias and 'unknowns' in the picks.

But if this is just 'feeling' - how do you know that your 'feel' won't get worse in future (maybe it will get better?). What is the process for adjusting your 'feel' to adapt as things change?

By having a method for captain picks and refining it, it takes the bias out of the pick, but also allows you to improve your method (harder if you are using 'gut feel' etc.).

Personally think that current captaincy picks are focused too much on expected points. But the one thing that expected points doesn't take account of is volatility / ceiling. When choosing a captain you should be looking for a combo of high expected points and potential high ceiling, even if that ceiling has a very low probability.

1. Make Arrows Green Again

Sorry, unexpectedly met a friend for the evening.

OK I understand the bit about my methodology. But any flaws in my methodology actually help to prove my point.

If I have used substandard methods for selecting a captain, then it is statistically likely that I have downplayed the total reasonable captaincy score. I went for the top two clubs where possible or whichever good side was playing someone terrible at home. I also went for the most explosive player in those teams. Yes, I probably should have explained my patchy methodology. However, this means that there is scope for the wisdom of the crowd to defeat me on this, and just to be clear, the higher the 'best' captain score the better my 'taking hits for the best captain' strategy works.

If I were to run this exercise without any possibility of hindsight, by running the numbers from the captain poll for each gameweek, I trust this would satisfy?

1. Two Popes and a Gazza

I definitely see that there are upsides to chasing captaincy picks that are stand-out options in certain GWs. However, your claim that you are able to switch to your preferred captain with just a hit implies that you are assuming there are no fires to put out elsewhere.

If I had to switch between Aguero, DeBruyne, Salah, Auba and Sterling - along with price changes, it might not be easy to just switch back to your old "default" team.

That said, I do agree that this can be a fruitful strategy in some GWs. I would personally improve the validity of the analysis by looking at not just an arbitrarily chosen top player - but the top 3 choices (votes/fixtures/form/odds/xG) or some other selection criteria and then looking at the max points possible, minimum points possible and then the average points under your selection criteria. If it still comes out on top, then this is indeed a superior strategy.

2. diesel001

Yes. But I would want to take it further. You have all the captain picks. You have the data behind the captain picks. You know who actually did well that gameweek and were considered viable captain options. Can you use that to come up with a supreme method for picking captains. Something that is better than the poll, better than the FFS pundits and better than what you have posted above.

That is my point about method in captain picks. It is about the process in choosing the captain, reviewing the results of the (c) pick and then working out whether there is a way, over the larger sample size you have, to come up with a better (c) pick.

Once you have that method, you rinse and repeat. Choose the captain using your method, review the results, work out whether there is a way, over the even larger sample size you have, to come up with a better (c) pick.

If you have heard of Black Box thinking by Matthew Syed, it is basically a simplified version of that applied to the (c) pick.

1. Make Arrows Green Again

I agree with all this, and these are ways of increasing the delta between the statistically most likely "best" pick and the muppets I tend to pick every week. But as I say, the greater the gap between the two, the more it suggests that chasing these players rather than hoping they will fail, is the right way to go.

5. Easy Cheesy

Interesting. Why don’t you add the next game weeks now and see how they do? That will avoid using hindsight

6. ViperStripes

If someone has the time to do this analysis:
                  Take the #1 captain pick on the Captain vote on here each week. Assume you took a hit to get him.
                  What net score would that give you?

7. HMC

The hypothetical hit assumes you always had enough money to make the transfer in one move which obviously is not the case

1. Dr Van Nostrand

True but some weeks wouldn't need to take a hit. He has quite a few back-to-backs

2. Make Arrows Green Again

That's why I'm saying hits. It might take two transfers some weeks, other weeks you need no transfers and can focus on your team structure

8. Celt Abroad

There is way too much hindsight in this. I’ve generally played aggressively with hits to ensure that I’ve always had the “best” captain this season, and have more or less always been in line with the most popular choice on the captain poll. I have 17 captain blanks as a result.

9. Make Arrows Green Again

What I'm going to do is, at the end of the season, ask the FFS community people for links to the captaincy article for each week. I'll run the numbers for:

- captaincy poll
                  - form
                  - fixtures (harder as there might be multiple players with the same fixture, but I'll pick out the player most discussed by FFS in each article in relation to those fixtures)

Then I'll post my captaincy score and see if the numbers hold true. You can all run your numbers on FPL Statistico and see if a more aggressive approach would have been fruitful.

More anon!

• Pépé sur le P…

Wishlist for the evening so I don't need to spend too much time re-jigging my WC team, while my current team also does well and justifies poor decisions I've made.

1. Kane plays well, gets chances.
                2. Aurier clean sheet and attacking return
                3. Son hattrick, but then declares immediate retirement from football.
                4. Sheffield continue to concede lots of headed goal attempts.
                5. Mane outscores Salah.
                6. Mahrez & KDB play well with little or no returns, then subbed before 90.
                7. Foden plays 90 mins and has a poor game, looks tired. Also retires.

1. jdp219

I could get on board with #3. Would certainly make decisions easier for gw33.

2. Pep bites Kun

I like 3 & 7 🙂

Got Kane in your WC have ya?

1. Pépé sur le P…

Yep! Would like Son and Foden too, but not enough slots!

• Magic Zico

Pope
                TAA Doherty AWB Aurier
                Salah KDB Bruno Martial Sarr*
                Jimenez
                McCarthy DCL* Nketiah Egan

Which one do you prefer folks? Cheers!
                A. Save FT (4-5-1)
                B. Sarr > Pulisic (4-5-1)
                C. Sarr > Pulisic, bench Aurier play DCL (4-4-2)
                D. DCL > Ings, bench Sarr (4-4-2)

• Cruz88

Good enough for a BB in 34? Potential issues are the form of DCL and Sarr, also Wolves away at Sheff not the easiest and neither is Che away at Palace. Other option is waiting for 37

DDG (villa) McCarthy (eve)
                Trent (bri) Saiss (sheff) Boly (sheff) Aurier (bou) Laporte (NEW)
                KDB (NEW) Salah (bri) Fernandes (villa) Sarr (NOR) Pulisic (pal)
                Rash (villa) Jimi (sheff) DCL (SOU)

1. Cruz88

Just realised I formatted that badly, sorry!

DDG (villa) McCarthy (eve)

Trent (bri) Saiss (sheff) Boly (sheff) Aurier (bou) Laporte (NEW)

KDB (NEW) Salah (bri) Fernandes (villa) Sarr (NOR) Pulisic (pal)

Rash (villa) Jimi (sheff) DCL (SOU)

1. Pep bites Kun

Good enough & great squad on paper. All going to plan should net you the points ...

• Firminoooo

If Son is cold and Kane hot: Son/DCL to Foden/Kane (2FT)?

1. Deeney-is-a-god

Looking at something similar so a yes from me. Actually considering son, jimmy to kane, puli

• mycatisfat158

First time poster long time admirer. Advice welcome!

Current Team:

Foster - Button
                  TAA-Boly-Las-Egan-Soy
                  KDB-Salah-Bruno- Grealish-Pulisic
                  Ings-DCl-Jimenez

Tempted to do: DCL - Grealish - Foster to Greenwood-Pope-Martial for -8 but is it worth it? Still have WC and BB. If I was to use my WC for a -8 I feel I wouldn't be getting the full benefit.

Any other suggestions?

1. GOTHAM City F.C.

If you consider WC, you can rid Egan & Soy as well

2. Basil1977

i wouldn't be taking a -8 at this stage of the season with a wildcard left.

3. beric

dont do the goalkeeper bit for a start

4. jdp219

If you're thinking of a -8, then you might as well use your WC and shore up some other positions: Foster, Egan, Soy, Grealish, DCL

5. KDF

WC , look to change Button for a playing GK ready for BB , maybe Martinez

6. Pep bites Kun

Do you have a gw plan for WC & BB?

• AXE17

Place your votes:

Mahrez and Greenwood

or

Foden and Rashford

1. Noah’s Ark

Mahrez and Greenwood

• FOO FIGHTER

Come on Son and Aurier...

Can you ear me!!! Haul mofos!!!

• jdp219

What would you do with this squad? Need additional United cover. DCL on the outs, but also thinking Son, too. 2FTs, 1.1itb; TC and FH remaining

Pope, Martin

Button, Connolly, Robinson, Lasc

1.7 itb

advice much appreciated

• Wild Rover

Ch 4 10pm Touching The Void. Amazing documentary. Feel the pain 🙂

1. Wilshere Knowledge

I’ve never gone up a flight of stairs since watching.

2. beric

Gread film, check out Free Solo if you havent already!

• Rainer

Oh my, this SHU attack. Not a chance they score in the next two games.

1. Berbs

Aurier OG confirmed

1. Rainer

This is Auriers 12/15 pointer.

• Nightcrawler

Wtf is that dier haircut

• Camzy

Oh God that Harry Kane stat...

Scored against 29 PL teams only one he hasn't is SHU... There's no way he isn't scoring today...

1. Wild Rover

The usual group think on here is that teams do what they did in previous meetings

2. Sun Jihai

He's basically guaranteed to score yes

3. beric

Bogey team, blank confirmed

• KDF

I have TAA and Bergwijn to play, what do you think are the chances of 11+ points between them ?

• Weasel Boy

Is Martial worth getting instead of Pusilic if you already have Bruno and Rash?

Will have no Chelsea then

1. FOO FIGHTER

I would rather go Pulisic. Pretty much same points per game and cheaper. Main man at Chelsea and ready to haul.

1. Weasel Boy

Thanks. Yeah will stick and think of another way.

2. HarryB29

Do you prefer A or B?

A: maguire, mahrez, dcl

B: kiko, pulisic, rashford

1. Weasel Boy

Close but B I think

1. HarryB29

Thanks!

3. unitednations

Really struggling to get rid of both Sarr and DCL using my 2Ft and 0.2m.

Ddg
                      TAA • Doherty • Aurier — Holgate • Kiko
                      Salah • Kdb • Bruno • Sarr -- Guendouzi
                      Jimmy • DCL • Rashford

Some options
                      A: Aurier + Sarr >> Taylor + Pulisic

B: Guendouzi + Sarr + Rash >> Martial + Pulisic + Connolly (-4) and move to 352

C: Sarr + DCL + Rashford >> Pulisic + Jesus + Greenwood (-4)

C is the only option that get ride of both Dcl and Sarr

1. KDF

C looks good to me.

Sarr and DCL to Foden and Ings?

4. Sun Jihai

Aurier red card would be sweeet

5. diesel001

Still not clear to me how Alli fits into this Spurs first team given the other personnel in the squad. He fitted into the 4-3-2-1 system deployed by Poch, when Son wasn't a first-teamer and Eriksen, Rose and Walker were:

Lloris
                      Walker Vertonghen Alderweireld Rose
                      Dier Dembele Wanyama
                      Eriksen Alli
                      Kane

But with the sale of Walker and Rose (i.e. very attacking and quick full-backs who have been replaced with less attacking and less speedy full backs) and the rise of Son, Alli seems to have lost his role in the team. Spurs squad is now full of attacking wide players (Son, Moura, Bergwijn, Lamela) and CM (Winks, Lo Celso, Sissoko, Dier, Ndombele). You can't put him in the creative attacking midfield role (like a Maddison or Grealish) because creativity is not his game. But his defensive attributes and long passing isn't suited to a deeper CM role (like when Eriksen could be dropped back).

So how does Alli fit into the team? Or should Spurs offload?

1. ZimZalabim

he can play multiple positions still his best position would as a SS but can play 10 as well and as one of two 8s in a 4-3-3.

Maybe due to form and injury etc hes currently not in the best 11 but not an offload by any stretch.

Also Aurier is as if not more attacking than walker but much worse defensively and davies is pretty good as well more like azpi without any goal threat then rose and will be in that role of staying back while the other full back bombs forward.

1. diesel001

Thing is, if you want to get the best out of Alli, it is, for me, in a Lampard style role. I can't see how you can configure the Spurs' team, with its current personnel, to get the best out of Alli, without being of detriment to other players. For me, Spurs' best team is:

Lloris
                          Sanchez Alderweireld Vertonghen
                          Aurier Winks Sissoko Lo-Celso Sessegnon
                          Kane Son

I think that gets the best out of Aurier and Sessegnon (to drive forward), Lo-Celso and Winks (to be able to pass from deeper, but also make runs forward), Son (more central) and still has defensive stability with the back three.

6. TheSteel

Blades dont deserve Europe. Playing that dud Sander Berge

1. diesel001

Berge hasn't been great since he came in. But thought he was quite good after he came on for Lundstram vs Arsenal. Perhaps just needs time to settle in.

2. Sun Jihai

Had his best game since joining vs. Arsenal
                        He is only 21 too

7. Nightcrawler

Sonny key pass +bps

1. diesel001

Less bps, more goals please.

8. Vazza

Come on Sheffield Utd!!!!