Members

The FPL players who could change position in 2020/21

The relaunch of Fantasy Premier League for 2020/21 will see the usual price swings for various players based on last season’s performances but will also feature positional reclassifications for a handful of them.

In this article, we’ll outline the case for a change of position for a number of Fantasy assets.

Ten players were reclassified at the beginning of last season, including Diogo Jota, Ayoze Perez and Matt Ritchie.

It’s fair to say that the alterations could be more seismic this summer, with a few premium assets potentially moving from midfielder to forward or vice-versa.

Before we begin, we should stress that this is purely guesswork on our part and is based on how FPL have gone about classifying players previously.

It could be, for example, that they have other ideas on how they will group ‘wide-midfielders’ next season – although, given the short turnaround, a complete overhaul of the game perhaps looks unlikely.

As a very rough guide, FPL have previously classified players using the following criteria:

DefendersCentre-backs, full-backs, wing-backs (eg in a 3-4-3/3-5-2)
MidfieldersCentral/defensive midfielders, number tens, wingers/wide-midfielders, players on either flank of a front three
ForwardsLone strikers, strikers who play in a two-man attack, the central striker in a three-man frontline

The classifications are typically based on what each player in question has done in the previous season.

Marcus Rashford and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, for example, had spent most of their time centrally in 2018/19, hence their listings as forwards at the start of the campaign just gone.

There is the occasional high-profile error (more of which below), of course, but these tend to be either academy products or fringe players from promoted clubs who were perhaps not given as much attention at the launch stage.

Full-year memberships are now available for the price of £19.99. Monthly subscriptions also cost just £2.99.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

it’s been an emotional season 🙂

2. Hotdogs for Tea

I have just had an epiphany and stumbled onto the perfect formula to win FPL, how no one has ever discussed this tactic is a mystery to me 🙂

1. Zim0

Hack everyones accounts and delete them?

This!

2. Hotdogs for Tea

if only 😉

2. Andy_Social

Score more points than everybody else? Believe me, I've tried. It ain't that easy.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

well yes, but you need a strategy to achieve that. Never seen this discussed though and goes against all the regular tactics you see on here, Scoutcasts, Meet the Manager etc

New season starting soon so I will see how it goes 🙂

3. FOO FIGHTER

Share please...

1. Hotdogs for Tea

sorry dude, it’s taken years of failure to get here ... Ville Rönkä has sort of adopted this strategy in the past but it can really be taken so much further 🙂

1. FOO FIGHTER

Ha ha. I myself have decided to go in with a strategy for a change. I never actually took FPL as serious like I did this season. I have been playing FPL for 9+ years and many seasons before picked a team without working on it each GW and only joined FFS last year. All the input since joining this site last year finally made me an FPL freak.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

i just play for fun and a bit of the fun has left the game for me, so the bs tragedy is really fun and taking risks so i am going to enjoy it

1. FOO FIGHTER

Change is as good as a holiday especially if Auba is a mid lol. As well as the likes of Martial likely to be a fwd. Jota as a mid could be an intersting pick again.

Team selections going to look wild once we can start tinkering 😀

1. Saniul

I very much doubt Aubameyang getting a position change.

We shal see.

2. Andy_Social

I always spend a gazillion hours in pre-season pouring over an improved strategy. I go into GW1 convinced that I've got it perfected. By Gw3 I've played my wildcard, my strategy abjectly defeated. You're welcome to take over my burden.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

I have seen this strategy used in a limited way, but never over an entire season ... goes a bit against accepted protocol

Strategy needs commitment to get over the poor game weeks

1. Turpis89

Mid priced forwards and premium defenders? I am considering to run 4/5/1 With a mid priced forward, one cheap dude to Come off the bench and one 4.5 bench fodder. Then run with VVD, TAA, Doherty, Laporte in the back.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

nah, tried all that and it’s not really a strategy, just a setup

1. Andy_Social

Well if you don't want to tell us what it is, why not just stop trolling us?

1. Hotdogs for Tea

lol, thought it might throw up a few suggestions and spark debate 🙂

1. Ron_Swanson

There needs to be something to debate

1. Hotdogs for Tea

too much spoil feeding these days, nothing left to debate maybe ?

3. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

Ville Ronka has just posted his 3rd year in 4 outside top 10k though!

Does it still work?!

1. Hotdogs for Tea

it was just a small part of what he did when I followed his tactics a few years ago, a bit different at the time and it caught my attention ... it triggered the mystic ‘VR knows’ posts, also Mark dipped in and out of this technique over the years ... looking to take it further myself as a season long deliberate strategy

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

TELL US!! lol 🙂

1. Hotdogs for Tea

lol ... we all already do this so it’s just organising and emphasising elements of it based upon our business and life knowledge, how we manage risk & reward etc

Magnus Carlson obviously brings his chess technique in to his FPL games (maybe deliberately, maybe not) and does things differently and doesn’t follow ‘group think’

We all have access the the same players, same knowledge, same chips, same transfers ... it’s how we arrange all of that over 38 games in a season that separates us.

It’s going to be fun 🙂

1. Amey

All you give after long thread is philosophy ?
                  😛
                  (Kidding)

2. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

*Nods sagely*

(I haven’t a clue lol)

the FPL season isn’t 38 weeks long, it’s one week long x 38 ... Confucius 😉

2. FALSE PROFIT

I wonder how many in the top 1k use an algorithm to make their teams.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

if you were free hitting every week then I am sure that would be fantastic ... there is a huge amount of transferable work related skills to apply to FPL and I wouldn’t be surprised if algorithms are used by some, basically we are mentally running algorithms every time we make a transfer so why not delve deeper ... stats now are a big part of matching players to teams

1. FALSE PROFIT

We use the past to predict the future and there are many variables. With HINDSIGHT (note the capitals) which we don't have; if we strive for say: VVD and TAA who rate highly and use our budget, they would be highly recommended to start with them. In other words, their stats are more likely to be repeated than Lundstrum who is top of the list. I am no mathematician but it is plausible, people who are brighter than me , will have an advantage applying maths.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

it’s not what i will be doing but I suppose it’s all part of it - i will be making a lot more decisions that perhaps I suspect could be defined as algorithm driven ... not that i would know an algorithm even if it slapped me in the face

2. I Must Break You

I just finished 330 in the world in my 3rd season having a remote idea what I was doing (2nd time in top 10k), and I absolutely use a self-developed algorithm. I believe strongly that the use of stats/maths is the only possible way to achieve sustained results I'll post again in 7 years and let you know if I was right.

1. FALSE PROFIT

Schweet! Send it to me. I mess around with my own, but as I said, the eye test means a lot to me and I tend to break my own rules.

4. THE WERNER DELUSION

Running a double-double defence all season? That's what I'll be doing - if you think they are good enough for a CS why not have two of them 😀

1. Hotdogs for Tea

I like it, but I want a bit more fun, a bit more maverick, go against the grain, we all seem to have the same players all the time

1. Trophé Mourinho

you can have too many differentials. I often am guilty of that.
          Dont get me wrong, I often pick good differentials like Origi, Giroud players like that, they not only turn up but score for me. But you can go too far, and be too smart.
          Mark does it as well, trying to be too smart

1. Trophé Mourinho

- Best FPL forumula imo for success is, have a base of around 6/7 players that you keep for the season, then you only have to focus on 4/5 spots in regards to transfers.
            - Be sensible with captain picks, not differentials.
            - Have money in the bank so you can bring in form players in, have the ability to change formations any given week.
            - Play 4 at the back most of the time

2. Hotdogs for Tea

totally agree, but at times we confuse getting a differential to simply getting a player we think will score more points in the next game week ... how many times do we not make a move because we can’t bring ourselves to sell a ‘name’ player ?

1. Trophé Mourinho

Well personally, im not too bothered about value, and make moves as I like. Often to my detriment at the end of the season when I lost mega value, on players maybe I shoulda kept and not sold, then I want back.

I dont like having the same players as everyone else and always seek out differentials, its very staisfying when they come through, and I want people to look at my team and be like wtf how did he even know he was starting? Let alone score!? - This is a big issue, I need to let go of this and stop caring what others things. If you know what I mean, maybe this makes sense, but I love to egt one over people with random as fck picks. For instance 38, I was very close to going Dawson, I didnt in the end, but he is a wild pick, his XG was very good, he didnt come through, but thats the kinda player I will go for.

2. FOO FIGHTER

Yes, considering this as well 🙂

5. Sgt Frank Drebin

He discovered a magic formula to win FPL, click here to check it out!!!

1. Sgt Frank Drebin

Just kidding though, no offence 😉

2. Amey

Clicked.
        I'm a fish 🙂

1. Hotdogs for Tea

I will probably crash & burn, but I will have fun at the same time.

We seem to treat FPL as some sort of mystic universe, whereas we simply have to apply basic techniques we see in the businesses world, sport world etc ... and we all do it with our natural FPL tendencies, we just don’t formalise it.

Actually Joe is one of the few people I see in the game who has a strategy and sticks to it and applies it, and that made me think a bit about it all in a bit more depth and apply my own ‘philosophy’ that I have learned in work, life & sport ... and bingo - there it was 🙂

1. Amey

One issue i have is i go crazy mad whenever things don't go my way. Take multiple hits ...

It's easy to correct though i guess ... Let's see.

1. FALSE PROFIT

I can guarantee my OR would be better if I did not have a compulsive nature

2. Hotdogs for Tea

i want some fun so believe me I will not be holding players who under perform, even if they are called Salah, Fernandes or TAA

Agreed.
                I generally do well at end of the season when I don't care about name of players I'm selling 🙂

1. Hotdogs for Tea

I think of the times I have held players like Vardy, Salah & Auba through bad runs then sell them just as the hit form ... there has to be another way 🙂

Definitely.
                    I held Vardy too long last season. Maybe that lead to my downfall too (part of it)

1. Hotdogs for Tea

strip away the emotion of it, the ‘i don’t want to lose value’, ‘he is the top scorer’ or what ever and ... players are just values with a potential to get you points, like the stock market

Yeah
                        I don't care about team value much. But Vardy doing great for me earlier season made me keep him i guess ...

2. Hotdogs for Tea

exactly ... I held him even though he wasn’t scoring ..: it was a decision based upon emotion - you wouldn’t do that with a falling stock so why do that in FPL?

3. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

That’s a big one Amey - aka “Trying to force it”

(In my experience) Trying to force it can really kill you, it’s a game that (often but not always obvs) really doesn’t take kindly to a buildup of transaction costs (hits)

Slow & steady wins the race & all that - it’s just largely not as rock & roll (Or fun!) a feeling to take a backseat to patience & abstaining from the transfer button 🙂

Agree
                I remember taking multiple hits 😀
                Often going wrong

4. Greek Freak

Most of the time in my experience the best thing to do after you have a nightmare GW is to do nothing.

There are exceptions of course, but in my time of playing FPL it's statistically been a better strategy than overreacting.

1. Amey

You're right. I started of very disciplined last season too 😀
                But slowly discipline took out door after Salah Sterling started to fail me every GW

1. Greek Freak

Actually for me patience backfired earlier in the season - I held on to duds for way too long. But I'm not sure whether that qualifies for the above strategy because some of my picks were clearly bad and needed to be sold much sooner (Tielemans?! Moura??? Ceballos....).

An example from post-restart was selling Sterling for Martial just after Martial got his hat-trick. Martial then went on to blank and Sterling scored 16 points vs. Liverpool.

Nice.
                    Swapping between big hitters with a good core of team (defense + GK + cheap forward (s) ) is something i am trying to plan for upcoming season. Having good home © is very important. Learned that hard way last season

3. Hotdogs for Tea

I have also found a long lost rich Uncle that left you lots of money too 😉

4. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

You won’t believe this one simple trick that All Elite FPL Managers Use!

1. Trophé Mourinho

Dentists hate it!

6. GOONER

Buy price increasing players in the first half of the season for hits to Create a high team value.

7. FALSE PROFIT

We make things overly complicated.
      Just go with a good captain (luck) and maximizing points per million using all your budget. Job done (smile)

8. Marmalade Forest

Take hits rotating big hitters and captaining them?

Sorting out a solid/cheap spine that is never touched and putting a chunk to rotating (for example)

KDB/Bruno
      Auba/Kane and getting in the home team players, really attacking fixtures.

Mine will be stop being stubborn and accept if almost everyone else thinks (Danny Ings) is worth getting in - get him in - even if I think he’s plop.

“I’m rubbish at this, so stop listening to my own thoughts”

1. Hotdogs for Tea

Yes that will be a gig part of what I will be doing, but to a greater extreme with a few further twists 🙂

*big

2. Greek Freak

A major downside of this strategy is that it's much harder to predict which cheap assets will score well.

3. Jdpz

Will Leeds United make any interesting transfers this summer? Could be the new Sheffield next season. The most noteworthy players are Pablo Hernandez, Mateusz Klich, Patrick Bamford, Ezgjan Alioski and Luke Aylink.

1. FOO FIGHTER

I reckon Leeds will try to sign a proper striker. They have a pretty decent team otherwise.

2. Andy_Social

My eye is on the keeper and 2 defenders - Ayling and Dallas.
        I get the impression that it is particularly difficult for an incoming player to adapt to Bielsa's challenging system, so I'd steer clear of any new signings for the opening fixtures myself.

• Xanthorpe

StatsBomb's radar for Bruno Fernandes looks concerning.

1. FOO FIGHTER

Bruno will not keep up his points per game. It was good while it lasted.

2. POLSKA GOLA

Stats show that after the restart Pogba was actually better at progressing the ball to the final 3rd and opposition box. Bruno is still a good pick if MUN had easy fixtures early next season and could get penalties as they usually do, price hike couod male him impossible to fit in though

1. Goonsquad245

Dunno what you’re talking about mate, Bruno is that good stats don’t apply to him

1. Goonsquad245

Surely you’ve learned that by now?!

2. FOO FIGHTER

Bruno will be in many teams next season, that is for sure.

2. FPL Virgin

His xG data show a big over performance.

1. Andy_Social

I doubt anyone is expecting him to keep up his PPM, but he'll still be monster. I'm looking at the KDB/Bruno axis as being equivalent to Salah/Sterling of last season.

3. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

I think at his current PPG he’d land at around 320 for a season (which is probably a bit like the FPL equivalent of a sprinter running a sub 9-second 100m?)

I.e. (PROBABLY for the pedantic brigade!) not going to happen

But how much of a regression in output could he afford to still get around the 250 mark? Probably 20% ish...

And if he only happened to regress by 15%, or even 10%... then wow

He looks like one of those players whose skill set aligns really well with the FPL scoring system

Like a reliable Rafael Van Der Vaart if you will 🙂

4. GuenDoozy

He's on penalties with Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Sancho? Etc. to win them. Easy pick

5. Amey

Classic case of overthinking !
          Keep it up guys. At least he'll be a differential for starting few weeks if more people think that.

He is at heart of everything United do attacking wise. He's THE man !
          IF United sign Sancho his output would only grow. He's a dream FPL asset IMO.

Talisman + Set pieces + Pens + Long range goals in his pocket + nailed as anyone in PL + license to do anything with the ball as he's main Man + eye for brilliant through balls so good for assist too + seemingly does well on bps meter too

6. Berbs

It's not a surprise. His all round game isn't great, everyone knows that.

FPL is about output. By hook or by crook, he has output.

Whether he's winning fouls by dives, or scoring pens, they count as points.

On the topic of these radars, the best I've seen for PL players are KDB and Keita.

7. Klaren

The fixtures were as good as they could get for Man Utd after he joined so of course you’d expect his points average to be lower across a full season but Bruno had similar stats at Sporting as well so wouldn’t expect a huge decline.

Liverpool Arsenal Burnley

These are 3 teams he didn't face in PL from Top 10. Judging by these games also he could have hauled vs Burnley or Arsenal too.

I see this easy fixtures thing blown out of proportion here. ABU are really making this 😀
            (I'm not saying you are one bdw. I just replied to this statement. Nothing against you 😉 )

1. Klaren

Yeah you are actually right, I forgot about some of the games before the restart.

I was trying to argue that Bruno will be a great pick regardless though so agree with your point anyway. And I wouldn’t take it personal, I’m also a Man U fan so would love to see him get over 300 next season (and he probably will, if not close) 🙂

8. Ole.

33 goals in 53 appearances for sporting last season

• Ron_Swanson

I can’t see Rashford or Aubameyang being classified as mids

1. Giggs Boson

They should be according to the current model. How would you improve the current classification model then?

Defenders - Centre-backs, full-backs, wing-backs (eg in a 3-4-3/3-5-2)

Midfielders - Central/defensive midfielders, number tens, wingers/wide-midfielders, players on either flank of a front three

Forwards - Lone strikers, strikers who play in a two-man attack, the central striker in a three-man frontline

I like it personally. If wingers were forwards we'd have a Sky situation where we have DMs and other boring players in our teams. I like the current FPL classifications.

1. Andy_Social

The current model is a bit arbitrary, but I fear that too radical an overhaul will make things worse. Personally, I'd leave it and just fix a handful of positions like Lundstram and Martial.

2. Ron_Swanson

If they score more than 15 goals in previous season they get classified as a striker. Something like that?

1. Bobby Reds

lol exactly, funny how nobody is asking for Andros Townsend, Harvey Barnes etc to be made a striker...

2. Ole.

Think they'll be changed to the same as Salah, Mane, Sterling.

• drughi

Looks like the 3-4-3 formation that always been my prefered formation is dead, 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 is the way to go most likely especially if the likes of rashford auba is reclassified as mids.

1. Andy_Social

I think that might make 5 mids the default choice, with 3-5-2 and 4-5-1 being popular.

1. drughi

4-5-1 could also be popular yes, vardy/jimenez/kane in rotation as lone striker based on fixtures and then heavy in mid and attacking wing backs. I like it

2. FOO FIGHTER

I am actually liking 442 at the moment.

1. drughi

Think I will aim for jimenez and ings as strikers if they are at a decent price. Hopefully around 8-9 mil, vardy will probably be 10-11 which I dont think will be worth at the start, we will see

1. Andy_Social

Hoping Jimi stays at Wolves and they don't win EL and play in CL. Jimi at Wolves with just the PL to focus on will be sweet indeed.

3. Lindelol

Started with 343 but then in the second half I realized 352 seems better

4. Sgt Frank Drebin

I'm not sure but I think I've seen some analysis that 4-4-2 is the best formation at the beggining of the season and 3-5-2 later on when you have more money in the bank. It's also dependant on the players in the season and what value they offer I think. There was a season when there was a lot of great defenders (like TAA and Robertson at around 5m)

1. Andy_Social

Every season is different - can't seriously think about formations until we see the prices. I'm currently influenced by all the talk about rejigging positions - but it might all turn out to be nowt.

1. Sgt Frank Drebin

Yeah sure, from what I remember according to the analysis those formations were the best on average in previous seasons. I think now when there are so many players and so much information we have to pay attention to all the tiny details to gain any advantage. I think maximising points per million spent via right formation is also very important.

• drughi

Timo Werner price prediction ?

1. bitm2007

9.0m

I agree with this.

2. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

10.0 seems to spring to mind - 9.5 or 10.5? Great last season... the four before that weren’t at the same level so he’s certainly no stranger to lean spells either

Penalty duty could be lucrative though if he gets it - particularly with Pulisic (if he isn’t dead), Ziyech, Havertz behind him

3. Lindelol

7 (after mid season)

4. Young Lingard

I think 9.5
          With Chelsea’s incomings this far and the expected arrival of havertz the pricing will be difficult.
          For example mount was 6m now frank likes him
          The game suggests he would be 7m Next year which if he got the spread of minutes would be a bargain because his stats could rise with more efficient attackers or could be priced out. Pulisic for example on the eye looks amazing his price could rocket but Werner occupies positioning on this flank sometimes.

5. Young Lingard

If I was pricing because of the wholesale changes Willian out etc
          And an expected better squad I’d go the following
          Werner 9 forward
          Pulisic 9 midfielder
          Abraham 7 forward
          Ziyech 8 midfielder
          Mount 7 midfielder
          Havertz 9 midfielder
          Barkley 6, RLC 6, CHO 6

6. Ole.

10.0 finishing on 11.0

• Right In The Stanchion

Had a lovely pot of tea this morning made with fresh Chelsea fan tears.

Cheers

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

This will run & run... 🙂

• JURGENAUT

Lads, so assuming that there’s a DGW2 for Man Utd and Man City assets.... would your tactic going into GW1 where you occupy for example a city and a Utd player in your squad but obviously benched and then maybe make 2 transfers for a hit in GW2 to double up on those assets so then you’d have 4 players (2 from each side or 3 to 1 whatever suits you at the time)

Or to just have a squad focussing on GW1 so no Utd/City assets and then wildcard GW2?

I just don’t like being forced into wildcard so early aha but curious as to what the rest of us think. Cheers lads

1. Amey

Depends upon fixtures & availability of good fodders.

2. FOO FIGHTER

The players you select GW1 excluding City and UTD could play them in the DGW.

Can't really figure anything out without fixtures.

I want to maximise my 1st 11 and going no City you can end up a very beefy team without Gwendozi's in midfield...

3. FALSE PROFIT

Two common schools of thought:
            1) Early WC to gain TV and early correction of your team.
            2) Late WC to benefit the xmas period of changes and possible early DGW's

I think 1) becomes more feasible as you will be getting a double whammy. United and Citeh assets are going to be season keepers so the early tfr will be the way to go.

I saw a lot of late WC's this season and they lost out IMO. Looking at a "5 week stretch" should be a major consideration IMO.

• Vertigo

People who usually spend their first wildcard within the first 3-6 weeks - will you be exercising more caution this year with the looming spectre of regional Covid lockdowns?

1. Maximus Bonimus Pointimus

They might give us more/unlimited transfers to deal with COVID maybe?

1. Vertigo

Nice. Or a DGW allowance for teams fresh out of isolation?

2. Amey

We might be forced to use one if United City Wolves go deep in European cups

1. Vertigo

I'm actually alright sorting that out with a mini-wildcard. I'd feel nervous beefing half my squad up with these teams before I'd seen how they line up anyway. Depends on fixtures too.

1. Amey

If fixtures for These teams are awesome to start with & there is a good © option available in GW 1 from cheap players we can get away with one each from Wolves City United in our teams. Subject to condition we have good bench fodder available who can play first game of the season

2. Berbs

This. You can't fit in 4+ expensive players without serious tinkering.

3. Lindelol

If I select horrible team I use wildcard early instead of taking hits.

1. Amey

I always select horrible team then 😀

4. The Red Devil

I'd like to hold on till December hopefully early WC didn't work out last season

• Trippier Hazard

It would be nice if FPL could encourage the inclusion of defensive midfielders a bit more, by adding a flexible reclassification on those with an appropriate heatmap. They can be selected alongside wingers and forward attacking mids, but their classification earns them more clean sheet points and defensive BPS returns perhaps? It would incentivise a sadly ignored cross section of players being selected. No other points changes or selection limits to be imposed though, so there's no obligation to pick them.

1. Amey

I don't agree with this tbh.
            Goals Assists CS are better variables to give away points than lets say tackles won, CBI ratings.

By keeping it simple the global appeal of FPL stays ever increasing as well too. I mean people who don't follow football too much would always know your Salah Mane. Very few would know Naby Ginni Milner.

I believe Sky game has this kind of thing, maybe that's why it's not as popular as FPL is ?

1. FALSE PROFIT

Consideration must be made for continuous visiting of the FPL site too. The captain pick is a luck thing mostly and it is there for the "click" reason as much as anything else. Like all the chips really.

Yeah ..
                Good point

2. FOO FIGHTER

I would rather go without Gwen in midfield.

3. FALSE PROFIT

It has been mooted since FPL time began. FPL success is partly derived from simplicity. Expect some reclassifications but your point and other ideas such as 4 mids and 4 forwards will probably never happen.
            Auba to a mid or Salah/Mane/ Pulisic going to forwards is the more likely outcome.
            One thing they must do is change cut off times to stop leaked team news "cheating"

1. FOO FIGHTER

You cannot make Salah, Mane and Pulisic fwds and keep the reßt of the wide players in a front 3 as mids.

Sterling, Mahrez, Bilva and even Foden would need to be fwd's too.

1. FALSE PROFIT

They were examples bud. You are reading it not the way I intended. If they classify correctly it could happen to many. A possibility rather than a likelihood.

1. FOO FIGHTER

Yeah, position changes next season going to spice things up 🙂

2. FALSE PROFIT

By the way, I agree with you. Unless they have 3 mids and 5 forwards which is unlikely.

• Ole.

What fpl strategies do you find effective?

1. FALSE PROFIT

The "luck" strategy is key if you have a basic understanding of the game.

2. Amey

Yet to find one

3. Berbs

4 defenders. It's boring but it works.

1. Amey

My fingers start itching as soon as one bad GW comes & someone like a Todd Pukki hits form 🙂

Over the season defense of Taa Robbo Doherty AWB has a potential to be amazing ! (AWB place holder for wimg back from arsenal Chelsea United City teams maybe with other 3 permanent fixture in team)

4. Sgt Frank Drebin

Turn off emotions, always try to make the best and most rationable decision possible, back your decisions with stats, don't follow the herd but what you think is the best for your team etc... Although what I think the best strategy is is to just pick good players (I mean in real life). Really, they will eventually come good.

1. Hotdogs for Tea

yip, spot on ... then take all of that and package it up to a forward thinking strategy for the season.

We hear about managers talking about 9 x 10 minute segments of a game and they manage each segment differently, different risk management and ways of approaching each 10 minutes, sometimes defensive, sometimes going for the jugular, sometimes holding possession - always reacting though ... we need to do the something similar in our games

5. Forza

Deciding transfers and captaincy on underlying stats, form, player quality and fixtures. When there's a 50/50 dilemma, go with the safe conservative option (e.g. save the transfer or go with the player with the better track record

1. Forza

And hit the post button without finishing your sentence.

yes I

agree in part 😉

1. ringwraith

Keep 'em hangin' Dogs, keep 'em hangin'.

• grooveymatt65

So what bargains do we think we will get price wise? (players already established)

I think Kane, Aguero and the Arsenal/Chelsea defence should be better value barring more signings

1. Amey

Big striker's & value doesn't go hand in hand IMHO.
            You need to ride the hot streaks. These big hitting mids are way better even though they'll be expensive.

I expect Wolves to be good value this upcoming season if they stay out of Europe.

Also, Robbo VVD scored less than previous season. If we can get a combined 1m discount on them from expected price due to that, I'd count it as a bargain

1. FOO FIGHTER

Towers will know Alisson was out for many weeks so discounts on the two defenders which finished 2nd and 3rd in the points table behind TAA in first is a no go.

1. Amey

They don't anticipate anything.
                Just price players according to what happened. Not what's going to happen

1. FOO FIGHTER

Still cannot see either VVD or Robbo being less than what they are this season. They are just to damn good. These are players you want to make difficult to get otherwise everyone would have them if their prices are reduced.

• FOO FIGHTER

Loving the discussions today, input from everyone is great. Brainstorming like crazy.

1. Zim0

I want the game to restart already 🙁 I'm itching to make a new team

Tinker tinker tinker. No rest for the wicked 🙂

1. Zim0

😀

2. FALSE PROFIT

That is what it is about. Can be enjoyable when the RMT's are not flying in.

Agree

Dier D 5.5 M 4.5
          Son M 10 F 8
          TAA D 8.5 M 7
          Ritchie D 6 M 5.5
          What do you guys think?

1. FALSE PROFIT

Some of my choices more from hope than logic. (smile)

1. Zim0

I'd take son at 8 as striker

1. Young Lingard

Ditto

2. FALSE PROFIT

I would too. Hope rather than logic as I said. He burns me every year TBH

2. FOO FIGHTER

Not keen on Martial at 10.5 as a fwd.

Sterling at 9.5 fwd and Son 8 fwd very nice.

1. FALSE PROFIT

The Martial price more due to ManU popularity. Greenwood will be the Towers biggest decision IMO, especially if Sancho arrives.

2. Young Lingard

I think the classification of martial and Rashfords positions is key to their ownerships really
              Because they are united players they will hold interest but as forwards neither should be valued much higher than last years Vardy for example

3. Young Lingard

Nobody goes near lundstram at your prices
            Or Rashfords midfield price
            Remember hazard Chelsea’s best output was never these prices
            I think people are over estimating Bruno and kdb ‘ starting prices also
            The game needs to invite you in
            Not to say they couldn’t even at that price

1. FALSE PROFIT

All subjective mate. We will, no doubt have surprises.

4. Eat my goal!

Auba will be 11 as a forward since he got the same returns as last year

There martial will likely be the same and sterling more so

1. FALSE PROFIT

Not what it will be. More what i would like to see.

5. FOO FIGHTER

Oh and Greenwood at such a large hike, not for me either.

1. Young Lingard

If sancho comes in they surely would only have him at most 6.5 at most

1. FOO FIGHTER

If Sancho does get signed Greenwood will forever have bench duty so even 6.5 is too much.

1. jtreble

Agree.

2. Eat my goal!

Until martial gets injured

6. Young Lingard

I’d like the game to tempt players into purchasing firminho a good 8.5m may help do this and leave a conundrum. You can’t for example hold salah/ mane at their expected high prices without thinking a firminho owner has used his money more wisely

1. FALSE PROFIT

The game rests in the hands of FPL towers. We are there to follow

• Jon Walter's Hatty

Ederson/Pope, TAA, Robbo, KDB, Bruno, Salah, Pulisic if fully fit

Can you make a decent team from the rest of the cash you have left?

1. FOO FIGHTER

Ederson in goal, TAA and Robbo in defence, KDB Salah Pulisic and Bruno in midfield = you need more than £100m budget.

2. Eat my goal!

6/5.5, 7.5, 7, 12, 10, 12, 10

64.5 Leaving you 35.5 for 8 players (4.43 per player)

• Eat my goal!

Doubt Sheffield will be quite the same defence without Henderson!

1. Young Lingard

I feel united will allow him one more year there
            I hear sheff United might go for Jones
            Which as someone who has ridiculed him at times I think it would be a great move for all parties
            If these things happen I think a forward purchase and SUTD can avoid second season syndrome

1. Eat my goal!

I think utd need to consider him for their no. 1

1. FOO FIGHTER

DDG earning far too much to be benched.

• FOO FIGHTER

As soon as the game is open again for tinkering then I will spend time looking for the cheapest bench from promoted assets or from price drops on some of the current cheapies. Homework will need to be done on how many minutes players featured though and recent starting elevens. No outfield player costing more than 4.5. GK 4.0. If I can find 2 x 4.0 starters for bench then I will be laughing all the way to the bank.

• g40steve

Pope to Chelsea, could still get save points but not as many?

1. FOO FIGHTER

Pope will be 6.5 if he goes to CHE.

2. Boywiththesoupdragontattoo

Given that they will score more, and that players like Azpi are super “productive” from a bps perspective, his main problem would be the loss of bonus points I think.

3. Andy_Social

He'll cost more and get fewer points. He's part of a superbly drilled Dyche machine. Lampard can't organise a defence and Pope will get exposed.

• OneMan

I always start poor, I think it’s so hard to predict form until at least 10 games are played. I won my mini league, but wasn’t even in the Top 5 at Christmas.

• ringwraith

On the subject of re-classification, I hope we are not going to go overboard with this. I hope that the few obvious ones Martial, Lundstram, etc.. are changed and no more. I wanted to bring up the point of Defenders who play forward in a Midfield position. Which a bit common place these days. The starting lineups for the last week in EPL had pairings of: Bellerin-Tierney, Baldock-Stevens, and Doherty-Jonny. All Defence men in midfield positions. Others who regularly play or have played a fair amount of time in the midfield while being designated as defence are: Pieters, Femenia, Aurier, Davies, Schlupp, and Alonso to name a few.
          My point being if we were to move numerous players whose true positions are Forwards or Strikers but, play wing even if they play wing a majority of the time we are going to have to fairly make similar decision on the above mentioned true Defenders.
          It is somewhat of a problem that is caused be evolving formations but, we should think before we leap.

1. Salarrivederci

I just want it to be more of an objective matter rather than subjective (some guy decides that Greenwood is a FPL forward with Rashford being moved to midfield seems off to me, when they are very similar when playing RW and LW - AND - with both being listed as forwards on the official United website)
            Just copy-paste the 20 teams official website. Still an even game to all.